Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop going very slow.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's ok as long as you won't be running lots of applications at the same time

Now hit the windows key + E

This opens windows explorer

Now tell us how much space is left on your C drive

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Space free is 5.26 GB.

That's ok too. At this stage the speed of your laptop should be much better already, is it?

Try uninstall any programs you don't use. Try get rid of any stuff you don't need (films / downloads etc). If you don't have any antivirus program (after getting rid of AVG) google "microsoft security essentials" and install it

Make sure you are running Vista service pack 2 (SP2) . You can see this by clicking on the windows button and typing "winver" in the empty box and hit enter

The report back here :)

I think computer is a bit faster. I have MSE installed. Sp2 is running.
    I dont have any films /music etc .
    The problem I have with uninstalling programs is I'm not sure what I can do without. I dont know if one thing depends on another to work... Do you have an example of what I dont need.
    This computer is really only used for mails/photos/browsing .

Don't worry about it, you're ok
    I think computer is a bit faster. I have MSE installed. Sp2 is running.

Those are the important bits. You have sufficient memory, you freed up a good bit of hard disk space and your system is reasonably secure

Just use it and run ccleaner now and then :)

• Advertisement

Yes , I will leave well enough alone.

I have another question.. There is one other user on this computer and when she tries to login she gets to the welcome screen and then it freezes...screen goes blue(ish). The only way she can login is to turn the computer off and start again . What can I do to cure this startup problem.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try creating a new account, and copying any documents etc using an admin account from the old to the new

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Another way in Windows to clean up crap on disk is disk clean-up. Link below tells you everything you need to know.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might try creating a new account, and copying any documents etc using an admin account from the old to the new

As I haven't tried this before I want to make sure nothing gets lost ...I don't want to get into the bad books...
    Will the emails transfer and will the same password work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it hasnt been advised already, ccleaner should free up a chunk of disk space. Itll also clean out the registry.

If you really wanted to speed things up an SSD + clean install would give it a new lease of life, but you'd probably need a little help doing it.

• Advertisement

I have done the ccleaner and it did clean things up well so I think I will leave it at that.

See above: One other user on this computer and on login their screen freezes . How do I sort that out without looseing saved items especially emails.

Thanks.

Advertisement