Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sync emails across iphone and outlook

Options
  • 01-11-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have an iphone 4s and desktop with Outlook. When I reply to an email on one it doesn't appear on the other. Is there any way or an app that can keep both synchronised?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you using IMAP, and not POP3? If you are there should be a copy of all emails sent left on the server, then synced to other mail clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

is your iphone using imap or pop3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

OP what's your email provider (Eircom, Gmail, Hotmail etc). You are most likely setup with POP3 where a copy of each mail is pulled to both your iPhone and Outlook and all sent items are stored locally. If the option is available, you need to change to an IMAP where all your mails are stored online and are accessed from the same place from as many devices / applications as you want and sent items from Outlook will appear on your iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 igas

advertsfox wrote: »
    OP what's your email provider (Eircom, Gmail, Hotmail etc). You are most likely setup with POP3 where a copy of each mail is pulled to both your iPhone and Outlook and all sent items are stored locally. If the option is available, you need to change to an IMAP where all your mails are stored online and are accessed from the same place from as many devices / applications as you want and sent items from Outlook will appear on your iPhone.
    Sounds like what I want to do - how do I change to an IMAP? Changing my email address is not an option as its on headed paper etc. Its an eircom email

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

igas wrote: »
    Sounds like what I want to do - how do I change to an IMAP? Changing my email address is not an option as its on headed paper etc. Its an eircom email

Try this:
    The correct settings step by step should be as follows:

'IMAP Account settings'
    Name: your choice here
    Address: yourname@eircom.net
    Description: your choice here
    'Incomming Mail Server'
    Host Name: webmail.eircom.net
    User Name: yourname@eircom.net
    Password: your password for loging on to Eircom webmail
    'Outgoing Mail Server'
    SMTP: mail1.eircom.net
    'Advanced'
    Use SSL = ON
    Authentication = Password
    Server Port: 993

http://community.eircom.net/t5/E-mail-Online-Services/How-to-setup-Exchange-on-ipad-to-connect-to-eircom-net-mail/td-p/15397

• Advertisement

Mr. G wrote: »
    Those settings are bang on but the account might not be upgraded to IMAP yet.

OP - To check, go to webmail.eircom.net and login as normal - you will get a modern Outlook looking interface with lots of colour and style if you have been upgraded. The old interface is just plain orange and blue, basic text.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 igas

advertsfox wrote: »
    Those settings are bang on but the account might not be upgraded to IMAP yet.

OP - To check, go to webmail.eircom.net and login as normal - you will get a modern Outlook looking interface with lots of colour and style if you have been upgraded. The old interface is just plain orange and blue, basic text.
    Yep - seems i'm still on the basic setup

igas wrote: »
    Yep - seems i'm still on the basic setup
    OK well for now there's nothing you can really do. Its best to contact Eircom (dial up support) and check when its scheduled to be upgraded to the new service - a good few accounts were upgraded in the last week so it could happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,

To achieve synchronization, you have a need to use an email account that supports IMAP. Beyond this synchronization, you should be aware with this fact that any problem with synchronization can lead duplicity in your mailbox. It is recommended to contact with apple support team.

Regards
    Jane

Advertisement