Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The so called bright confident generation

Options
  • 01-11-2013 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many times have I heard people say that the present young generation are "so confident" "so well educated" "know what the want and how to get it"
    Well, reading this forum on a daily basis has helped me to disregard all that rubbish.
    How many times are we to read of these people who don't seem to have the confidence to stand up to landlords, are completely ignorant of tenants rights despite organisations like Threshold, agencies like the P.R.T.B. being there and available to provide the necessary information.
    I wonder should a lot of them ever have been left leave Mammy's apron strings at all.
    They are able to use the internet to book a round the world trip but can't seem to find out whether or not they should have an indoor toilet in their apartment.

There is a big difference between education and intelligence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nice rant. Are you annoyed that their are people in life who get walked over? Or do you have difficulty understanding that people who don't have these issues with renting, don't bother making threads about the problems they don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I get the feelin there is some history here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Geez....where did that rant come from! You can be as bright and confident as anything, but you're still going to be naive when you first venture out there. And also, I'm not sure it's too much to expect a functioning rental market to exist. Instead of the dysfunctional one in Ireland right now (and that's coming from a LL)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What?

Are you part of the "bitter and cranky" generation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Ireland is one of the few countries in European that a majority of people werent raised in a rented house. Meaning a most people dont know the norms or the laws regarding tenant rights like most people in European countries would know. Most people moving out of the family home have no idea what their rights are.

Shouting and "standing up" to a landlord isnt going to achieve much if the LL has followed the necessary legalisation. You can complaint to the PRTB about how you were mistreated(if you actually were mistreated in the first place), but they probably wont look at your case for several months, which makes them kinda useless. It doesnt help that councils dont really every inspect the quality of housing.

A large majority rent with no issue at all. But you are only going to see the people with issues writing on boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement