Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burrenguy's journey to build strength and size.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

workout today..
    Split squats: 10, 10, 10, 10
    Dips: 7, 7, 7
    Chin ups: 7, 7, 6

Going okay. I think I'm going to keep going with this workout until i hit 3 x 10 anyway on the dips and chin ups.
    This week would be my last, but i think I'm going to keep going till the new year anyway.

Back extensions: 15, 15, 15, 15
    Inverted rows: 12, 12
    Push ups: 12, 12, 12
    Cut 1 set off the push ups and 2 off the rows as I'm going off to do a music exam in an hour and can't have my arms being too tired! I find the rows really wear out my forearms.

brief skipping intervals today. Focusing on my breathing as the last day I did it I got a splitting headache during!

workout today..
    Dips: 7, 7, 7
    Chin ups: 6, 6, 6

Didn't get to log this yesterday. Accidentally backslid a rep on the chin ups/ No harm though, the tip of my finger is a little swollen and I can't put too much weight on it anyway.

todays workout..,
    Inverted rows: 15, 15, 15
    Push ups: 15, 15, 10

upped the reps a bit. Inverted rows were tough on my grip. I ended up taking a bit too long of a break between set 1 and 2 on push ups because i got interrupted... still couldn't hit all the reps though.

• Advertisement

workout today..
    Chin ups: 7, 7, 7
    Dips: 8, 8, 8

tweaked my dip form a little, and it hurts my chest less now.. not too bad.

started doing a little mobility routine based off the one found here. I also added in some extra exercises for my winging scapula.
    In regards to my workout, I came back in from school at 7:30 and didn't really feel up to much. I just did one set per exercise to keep the habit.

workout today..
    Dips: 8, 8, 8
    Chin ups: 8, 6, 3.

not feeling the best today, got a thing with my throat. Still got in the workout at least. Chin ups bad enough...
    Hoping to push on another bit before the new year.

todays workout..,
    Inverted rows: 12, 12, 12, 12
    Push ups: 12, 12, 12, 12

got off for christmas today.. two school free weeks :D

taking a break this week.. my body kinda needs it, my wrist has been at me a bit the last few days. Back again next week.

• Advertisement

brace yourselves... new years resolutions are coming :P
    There seems to be a stigma against people seriously setting goals at this time of year, assuming that they're yet another person jumping on the "New Year, new me" bandwagon. My timing is as much coincidence as it is anything. However, I think that despite the usual tendency this time of year to set goals and never follow through, I have set some of my own in the hope that I'll achieve them. They're not massive goals: they're actually quite modest. But it's enough to get me training I think. Here they are:

46kg overhead press x 5
    86kg squat x 5
    106kg deadlift x 5
    56kg bent over row x 5
    15 strict pull ups
    25 BW dips
    40 push ups

The reason for all the 6kg's is that I'm training using a standard bar that weighs about 6kg, and I'm including that in the goal weight.
    In addition to these strength goals, I also aim to bulk for the whole year (providing my body fat doesn't go too high). I prefer the idea of a clean bulk where I add the weight more slowly. I'll be aiming for maybe a pound a week.. so that's about 2kg in a month. In a perfect world I'll weigh about 170lbs/77kg this time next year.
    I'll be training at home with a standard barbell, 105kg of plates (for now) and a homemade rack. 286787.jpg

My routine will be as follows:
    Day 1
    Deadlift: 3x5
    Overhead Press: 5x5
    Bent over row: 5x5

Day 2
    Squat: 5x5
    Pull ups/chin ups: 3 x max (up to 10)
    Dips/push ups: 3 x max (dips up to 15, push ups up to 20)

I intend on doing this program 3 x a week. I'll add weight progressively as long as I can hit the correct number of sets and reps. The first two sets of the weight lifting exercises will be ramped up. I'll use 60%, then 80% of the working weight for the remaining sets. For the bodyweight exercises, I'll go till I can't do another rep with good form and then stop the set.
    I'll try to keep the rest to no more than 2-2.5 mins for all sets.
    I will build up a small amount of strength (more than lifting just the bar) before posting form check videos.

Morning weight: 118lbs
    BF%: 6.6%
    I will be weighing myself once a week on Monday mornings to get a general feel for my progress.

First workout down.
    Deadlift: 3x5 (10kg, 20kg, 25kg)
    Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 16kg
    Bent over row: 5x5 @ 10kg.
    All easy. Adding weight the next time.

Day 2.
    Squat: 5x5 @ 26kg
    Dips: 3x5
    Chin ups: 3x5

Was a bit tired today but managed everything grand. Squat form was okay but not brilliant, dips and chin ups were fairly good I feel.

So stiff today, chest and shoulders tight. Bad complaint for a young person to have!
    Deadlift: 3x5 (10kg, 20kg, 30kg)
    Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 18.5kg
    Bent over row: 5x5 @ 15kg

Not too bad. Need to get my sleep in order though.

Squat: 5x5 @ 31kg
    Dips: 6,6
    Chin ups: 5, 5, 5

Cut the dips short as I'm pretty sure my wrist tendinitis is flaring up again... not good at all.

This is what I planned on doing...
    Deadlift: 3x5 (30, 35, 40kg)
    Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 20kg
    Bent over row: 5x5 @ 17.5kg

However, this is what I ended up doing.
    Deadlift: 2x5 @ 30/35kg, then 1 rep @ 40kg
    Overhead Press: 3x5 @ 20kg
    Bent over row: 3x5 @ 20kg

Lessons have been learned. I slept badly again last night and plunged straight into this with no warm up. My abs started to hurt doing the deadlifts and I was afraid of injury... with 40kg. I am ashamed. Was too tired to do full amount of sets so cut to 3x5.
    Note to self for the future...
    SLEEP BETTER
    WARM UP

Squat: 5x5 @ 36kg
    Chin ups on rings: 5, 5, 5
    Push ups: 3x10

Did a lot of running around today playing a game of football during my lunch break. Was pretty tired and was considering leaving off my workout till tomorrow, but I decided to push through.
    -The squats were a bit tough due to my legs already being fatigued. The form was off a little on the third or fourth set. I found that really tightening up helped make it easier and keep my form good.
    -I did the chin ups on rings today which were a lot tougher but easier on my wrist, which is a big plus.
    -I did the push ups on push up handles to keep my wrist from being flexed, as this seems to be when the tendinitis is the worst.

For the weekend I plan to reduce the load on every exercise drastically and focus on form.

Morning weight: 120.4lbs

Deadlift: 3x5 (25, 30, 32.5kg)
    Overhead Press: 1x5 @ 16kg, 1x5 @ 21kg, then 3x5 @ 23.5kg
    Bent over row: 1x5 @ 15kg, 1x5 @ 20kg, then 3x5 @ 22.5kg

Workout went grand. Warmed up before hand, so that helped. Overhead press was compromised slightly by my wrist problem.

Squat: 1x5 @ 31kg, 1x5 @36kg, 3x5 @38.5kg
    Push ups: 3x11
    Chin ups on rings: 6, 6, 2

All grand today. Chin ups were very tough but done correctly.

Todays workout.

Bent over row: 1x5 @ 15kg, 1x5 @ 20kg, then 3x5 @ 25kg
    Deadlift: 3x5 (25, 30, 35kg)
    Overhead Press: 1x5 @ 21kg, 1x5 @ 23.5kg, then 2x5 @ 26kg

I seem to have caught a dose: bad cold and cough and had a bit of a temperature. I said I'd workout anyway since I'm not moving much weight anyway. The deadlifts felt strangely easy. The rows were grand. I cut the overhead press short because I was starting to get a bit wobbly on the 4th set and didn't want to risk hurting myself.
    I better try to recuperate now for the weekend I suppose!

• Advertisement

Squat: 1x5 @ 36kg, 1x5 @38.5kg, 3x5 @41kg
    Push ups: 3x12
    Chin ups on rings: 3.

What happened with the chin ups is that the rings I was doing them on are now different heights. I was in the middle of my set and the zip lock tie (which I used on a coil of rope to make the handle shape) snapped, leaving each side at different heights. I will repair it in time for the next workout.
    Push ups were grand.
    Squats were good enough. The last set was better form than usual. My 4th set was a little dodgy as I seemed to lean forward too much.

played soccer for 30 minutes. Tired out after it. Good fun.

Deadlift: 3x5 (30, 35, 37.5kg)
    Bent over row: 1x5 @ 12kg, 1x5 @ 25kg, then 3x5 @ 27.5kg
    Overhead Press: 1x5 @ 21kg, 1x5 @ 23.5kg, then 3x5 @ 26kg

Overhead press was tough and my form wasn't great. The other two were fine. I'm still fairly under the weather, but I'm ploughing on anyway. I might stick with the 26kg overhead press for a few sessions till my form gets a bit better.

Push ups: 3x13
    Chin ups: 3x5 on bar
    Squat: 1x5 @ 38.5kg, 1x5 @41kg, 3x5 @43.5kg.

Tis fierce windy outside. I ended up doing the squats last as I didn't want to go outside and brave the elements. I went out between gusts so it's grand.
    Moved the workout to today as I was fairly wrecked yesterday.
    All exercises going well.

Deadlift: 3x5 (30, 35, 40kg)
    Bent over row: 1x5 @ 20kg, 1x5 @ 25kg, then 3x5 @ 30kg
    Overhead Press: 1x5 @ 21kg, 1x5 @ 23.5kg, then 3x5 @ 26kg

Deadlifts were okay.
    Widened my stance on the rows and they felt noticeably better.
    Overhead pressing easier than it was.

morning weight: 122 lbs

todays workout..
    Squat: 1x5 @ 41kg, 1x5 @43.5kg, 3x5 @46kg
    Push ups: 3x14
    Pull ups on bar: 3x5

All grand. Bit sore in places of concern but I'm managing.

Deadlift: 3x5 (35, 40, 45kg)
    Bent over row: 1x5 @ 25kg, 1x5 @ 30kg, then 3x5 @ 32.5kg
    Overhead Press: 1x5 @ 23.5kg, 1x5 @ 26kg, then 1x5 @ 28.5kg, 1x2 28.5kg, 1x5 @ 21kg

Deadlift is going good I feel. My form is good enough.
    Bent over row was okay. A bit of jerking happened though which isn't optimal.
    Overhead press was a mess. Upped the weight and couldn't finish the sets so I dropped it down. I blame the fact that I had pretty bad indigestion today.. but meh, be grand.

todays workout..
    Squat: 1x5 @ 26kg, 1x5 @36kg, 3x5 @48.5kg
    Push ups: 3x15
    Pull ups on bar: 3x6

Time to start making the first two sets ramped i think.
    Push ups grand. Pull ups a bit jerky. Squats were fairly okay, maybe a little on the high side.

Deadlift: 3x5 (30, 40, 50kg)
    Bent over row: 5x5 @ 20kg
    Overhead Press: 5x5 @ 21kg

Deadlift was grand. Cut back the weight on the other two to focus on form.

• Advertisement

quick update. I've had recurring back trouble for a few years, and it (along with a few little stupid nagging pains) have flared up. For this reason, I will be switching over to a daily routine of exercises designed to help decompress my spine and cure muscular imbalances.
    I will not be lifting weights during this period, as many exercises compress the spine. I may continue to do a brief maintenance session at the weekend.
    I will be doing a brief bodyweight workout 3 times a week to aid this (most bodyweight exercises don't compress the spine as they are not externally loaded).
    I realize this may seem like a cop out to some but I promise that its not. It's just what I need to do at the moment. I will get back into my weight lifting before the summer comes.

Advertisement