Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not charge €1 to register on boards

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

MadsL wrote: »
    This doesn't look that minor to me, but then I'm not an Admin...

20 odd a day?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/banlist.php
    That low?

Back in the day, Beruthiel would have 50+ accounts banned before 8:30am. That's not a joke.

20 a day, taking into account spambots, shills, re-reg's etc. is a low number.

Again, not broken, don't fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Would an incremental increase in privileges help dissuade it?

Isn't there some sort of system like that for the Soccer forums to prevent idiocy?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just to put things into context:

1. Register a new email address (30-60 seconds).
    2. Register a boards account (30-60 seconds).
    3. Receive boards email and activate boards account (15 seconds).

From our side:

1. Ban an account (4 seconds), or ban an account and delete all posts (8 seconds).
    2. Err... that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I just read a post with a user claiming to have re-regged 250+ times this year.
    Multiple re-regs and muppetry seem to consume a good deal of Admin and mods time.

Surely charging €1 to reg an account would soften the cough of these idiots?
    Are you trying to discriminate against Mr E taking the LoB top spot?

I'd prefer to charge a few non re reg posters money for having to put up with their crap. Can we do that actually? That would be awesome. Automatic deduction from their paypal account every time they say something stupid.

This time next year we'll be millionaires Rodney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd prefer to charge a few non re reg posters money for having to put up with their crap. Can we do that actually? That would be awesome. Automatic deduction from their paypal account every time they say something stupid.

Ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I was gonna suggest a "dick jar" to put a quid in every time you get infracted but "dick jar deposits" might look a bit sketchy on the books :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'd just set up another irish boards site and take all your unhappy "customers" away muahahahaha!

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Or y'know a "bitchin" mod' fine for volunteers who volunteer and then bitch about it...

;) :pac:

Or y'know a "bitchin" mod' fine for volunteers who volunteer and then bitch about it...

;) :pac:

I'm not bitching about modding at all.

You can't mod stupidity. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What are the extra features of Boards.ie and how much does it cost to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

professore wrote: »
    This.

You!

You can't mod stupidity. Unfortunately.

I'd be so banned, clearly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

BOHtox wrote: »
    What are the extra features of Boards.ie and how much does it cost to get them?

€5 for one month or €50 for the year.

If you subscribe you can change your name and upload nice avatars. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You can't really even consider doing it.
    The site is far too generalized.
    If it were a certain subject, sure. It'd be nice to have a My Little Pony forum that requires a quid per account. There's a reason people would do that. MLP is something people troll a lot about online. Fans of that show would probably pay a quid just to be able to discuss it in peace.

The pre-moderated posts is just... no. There's no way it'll work. There's I think 80 or so forums. Way too much work for the mods. You'd probably need a section of mods just to approve posts.
    What happens if I wanted to ask about getting a phone. Three posts in and it's "pay or kindly f*** off" in order to get more feedback.

And even then, who their bloody mind pays to post? It's not a niche site. It's nice that I can post in AH, head down to the Dublin forum and to bargain alerts all on my one account and all but... it's not worth it just to post.
    I can see the point of subscribing. People do it for one of two reasons (IMO): they either really like the site and want to support it or else they just like the features.

TBH, if you told me "pay a quid or you can't post" I'd just close the account.

I agree with this. Mods are volunteers and to expect us to premoderate these posts would be too much. I think Boards have it right at the minute.

Taking out a debit card to pay €1 probably isn't worth it after PayPal/bank charges. I know if I was asked for money online to view a forum, I just couldn't be bothered, aside from the security aspect of it of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

€5 for one month or €50 for the year.

If you subscribe you can change your name and upload nice avatars. :)

Here's more info on it also

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950118

Yeah, it's an absolutely ridiculous idea that would ultimately backfire. I, and many other now-regular users, signed up to here just to ask a simple question. If I had gotten here originally and seen that there would be as much hassle as pre-moderation or paying to ask a question, then you'd be damned sure I would have closed the tab, gone straight to Google, and found somewhere that can answer my question for free. And this is essentially what will happen with new users.

20+ bans a day isn't that high amount, given how many people create accounts each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think it's fantastic idea and I'll take 50c on the euro to premoderate all newbie threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Just for the record, we're not doing this - any barrier to entry at sign-up is bad for any website, especially one like ours.

Dav wrote: »
    Just for the record, we're not doing this - any barrier to entry at sign-up is bad for any website, especially one like ours.

What the hell kind of democratic decision-mak...oh wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Idk boards.ie don't have a good track record of keeping your private information secure, I'm not going to give them my bank details

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As subs are via PayPal what would you be concerned about?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Charging everyone to put off spammers and reregs is akin to always-online DRM in games. You're only punishing the genuine users of the site. The spammers and trolls will bugger off somewhere else, but so will a large portion of the user base.

Horrific idea all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Filibuster wrote: »
    Idk boards.ie don't have a good track record of keeping your private information secure, I'm not going to give them my bank details

Eh, wha? Boards was hacked, could happen to any website (and has). Boards is fully compliant with the Data Protection Commissioner, and take personal information very seriously imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

How can someone with so many suggestions on how to run a forum like boards not have a forum of their own?

How can someone with so many suggestions on how to run a forum like boards not have a forum of their own?

How many suggestions? Much suggestion?

You have 151 posts in Feedback yourself, clearly not short of a few ideas...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Cold Chocolate

It's simple, nuke the site from orbit, only way to be sure.

A forum was set up full of clowns trying out do each other by getting the most bans on boards and other forums.

Boards mods should play the irony card and try get banned on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Daft idea. It would turn so many potential users away. I know i wouldn't have bothered with the site if i had to pay.

However maybe charging a €1 amnesty to banned users might be an idea.

If banned users want a second chance charge them a euro or two to get their perma-ban lifted on the condition that they behave. If they misbehave again they simply get permabanned again and boards is a couple of quid better off. If not they end up as a reformed productive member of the boards community.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Daft idea. It would turn so many potential users away. I know i wouldn't have bothered with the site if i had to pay.

If banned users want a second chance charge them a euro or two to get their perma-ban lifted on the condition that they behave. If they misbehave again they simply get permabanned again and boards is a couple of quid better off. If not they end up as a reformed productive member of the boards community.

That's not too bad an idea actually, not too sure if it would be worthwhile implementing mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

I don't think it would be feasible in my opinion bar doing something illegal, you wont get perm banned for a yellow or red card. Reading the prison forum it comes across as a last resort for an admin to perma-ban an established user who usually would have infractions well into double figures.

So if they pay a fee and get their banned lifted. Does their previous record get wiped (forum bans/category bans etc) leaving the possibility for them to carry on as before? Or do they keep their old record and be told they're one offence from getting site banned again?

If they managed to get banned again after paying a fee they would probably open a Paypal dispute trying to get their money back,I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Advertisement