Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant - must be posh

Options
  • 01-11-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi folks!

Just want to gather some opinions on the best restaurant to go to to treat someone? TBH Im looking for somewhere a bit special that has a lot of glitz etc over the best hidden gourmet gem type thing, though the food should be good... been thinking The G but is there anywhere else I could consider?
    (If it was purely for the taste Id be heading straight for Martines on Quay st!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Aniar, judging by your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Wow - they look impressive menu-wise, but I think I under-described the visual glitz factor needed.
    Hmmm ... put it this way, Im not looking for haute cuisine as such, but I am looking at hiring a limo...

(Though thanks for the Aniar suggestion I will be checking it out myself next time I get a chance!)

BTW is Martine's still in business? Its been some time since I was in the town and even longer since I lived there but I still think about their pork belly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The G is probably your best bet for glitz in that case so..

Martine's still going alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A bit out but Ashford castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Aniar is not really that glitzy, it's quite a small room. If you're seated in the row of two seaters you are very close to the people around you. It's also a small menu selection wise. I wouldn't doubt the skill in the kitchen but make sure it's what you want because it's not a cheap restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I would highly recommend Dela, amazing food and nice chilled out ambience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Is the restaurant in the train car in Glenlo Abbey still gong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is the restaurant in the train car in Glenlo Abbey still gong?

It is still going, the Pullman afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

I'd also reccomend the Pullman for the wow factor.
    There are better restaurants in Galway but if you want to impress somebody it's a great bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anair or Kai for the best food in Galway.
    Oscars in town or O'Grady's on the Pier in Barna if you like seafood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

the food in the G is seriously underwhelming, we both felt sick after it. The service is good I think the decor is starting to look a bit dated though. Galway is a bit lacking in the type of thing you are looking for I think. Loads of great restaurants but not very showy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I love the food culture in Galway, it's the best in the country when you take the size of the city into account.
    I love the fact that you can go to the best restaurants in the city in jeans, trainers and a tshirt and not feel out of place or have people gawking at you, which isn't true of most of the Michelin starred restaurants in Dublin (which are great restaurants).

I love that in Galway's better restaurants the emphasis is on the food, not the décor (although, they are very well arranged and look great) as well, and instead of pumping stupid amounts of money into the building the bulk of their budgets go into sourcing the best produce and ingredients and doing the best they possibly can with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »

I love that in Galway's better restaurants the emphasis is on the food, not the décor (although, they are very well arranged and look great) as well, and instead of pumping stupid amounts of money into the building the bulk of their budgets go into sourcing the best produce and ingredients and doing the best they possibly can with them.

Me too! But we all know those relatives/business people who are not into their grub but are judging on the glitz and the posh soap in the loo for the wow factor! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I like Kirwins lane. But if you really want to go for the wow factor i would head a bit further a field and go for somewhere like dromoland.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I was also going to Suggest Kirwans Lane Restaurant.
    Ashford Castle in Mayo would be lovely but might it be a bit far out if you are looking to eat in Galway? The Meryick Hotel in Eyre Square is nice for food but might be a bit 'public'.

Kai is lovely but I certainly wouldn't arrive in a Limo to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

How about Cloonacauneen Castle ? It's somewhere off the Tuam Road, between Galway and Claregalway.
    I'm not sure what their food is like but, from what I can remember, the setting is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

The White Gables in Moycullen is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Hi

While i don't necessarily agree with your selection criteria :D , I have a suggestion that I am pretty sure that you both will enjoy and should impress.

The closest to your specific requirement is, in my opinion, The West Restaurant in the Twelve Hotel out in Barna. It is only 10 mins from Salthill so well within taxi range. I ate there 2 months ago and can thoroughly recommend it. It is fine dining (and taste), pretty exclusive and not hugely expensive for what it is. Staff are great too, and the bar part is nice to lounge in before the meal.

http://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/west-restaurant-menu

Come to think of it, I have to admit I actually brought people here before to impress - not for the same reasons as you probably - and they were impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both Vina Mara and Malt House are a bit posh. Not sure about the glitz factor, they're just nice and normal inside.
    www.vinamara.com
    www.themalthouse.ie

The Meyrick would be pretty old school and has a bar too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

swe_fi wrote: »
    Hi

While i don't necessarily agree with your selection criteria :D , I have a suggestion that I am pretty sure that you both will enjoy and should impress.

The closest to your specific requirement is, in my opinion, The West Restaurant in the Twelve Hotel out in Barna. It is only 10 mins from Salthill so well within taxi range. I ate there 2 months ago and can thoroughly recommend it. It is fine dining (and taste), pretty exclusive and not hugely expensive for what it is. Staff are great too, and the bar part is nice to lounge in before the meal.

http://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/west-restaurant-menu

Come to think of it, I have to admit I actually brought people here before to impress - not for the same reasons as you probably - and they were impressed.

Oh my god, I'm sorry, I'm sure the place is lovely but that page is really hard to take seriously, I'm in proper pain laughing. They have an "organic soup of the moment" and some kind of super serious choral music auto-plays when you open it. In fairness the food does look nice, but jaysis, it's only food. Definitely a posh place anyway.

Sorry I've nothing on topic to contribute, I'm not fancy, I just have to recommend everyone to click that page, it's gas (again, food looks gorgeous, not slagging it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The Twelve in Bearna.

Mulberries in Bearna is also nice, but not as glitzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

There's a nice place down the docks above Padraicins (spelling?), not sure if it's as fancy as you are looking for. They do mainly fish and the views are nice. Called Chez Azur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

The Brassarie on Eglington Street is not at all bad. The decor is funky eough and the menu is quite nice. Give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oh my god, I'm sorry, I'm sure the place is lovely but that page is really hard to take seriously, I'm in proper pain laughing. They have an "organic soup of the moment" and some kind of super serious choral music auto-plays when you open it. In fairness the food does look nice, but jaysis, it's only food. Definitely a posh place anyway.

Sorry I've nothing on topic to contribute, I'm not fancy, I just have to recommend everyone to click that page, it's gas (again, food looks gorgeous, not slagging it).

Isnt that music from one of the hannibal films?! A pretty interesting choice for a restaurant website!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyYi8H_o-Ls

Anyway, back on topic, havent eaten in the restaurant out there but I really like their bar. Swanky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wolf99 wrote: »
    Wow - they look impressive menu-wise, but I think I under-described the visual glitz factor needed.
    Hmmm ... put it this way, Im not looking for haute cuisine as such, but I am looking at hiring a limo...

(Though thanks for the Aniar suggestion I will be checking it out myself next time I get a chance!)

BTW is Martine's still in business? Its been some time since I was in the town and even longer since I lived there but I still think about their pork belly!

I wouldn't advise Martines - gone way downhill, don't seem to care about what they serve up and if you complain, so what.

O Grady's on the Pier is good, posh and lovely food (lots of seafood) -its right on the pier in Barna. Very good.

Kai - make sure you check out the menu beforehand - not to everyones taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Like I mentioned earlier why not Ashford Castle?
    If you're hiring a limo (for the evening?) you'll get a good length of time in it on the trip there.
    Dining is very swanky- http://www.ashford.ie/fine-dining-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dinneenp wrote: »
    If you're hiring a limo (for the evening?) you'll get a good length of time in it on the trip there.

And minus atmosphere tbh. Also the whole dress code thing p1sses me off (we got away with it though)

I guess if you want posh and bland it'll suit, but not if you want a bit of craic

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »

wouldn't agree.

Advertisement