Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurant - must be posh

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

swe_fi wrote: »
    Hi

While i don't necessarily agree with your selection criteria :D , I have a suggestion that I am pretty sure that you both will enjoy and should impress.

The closest to your specific requirement is, in my opinion, The West Restaurant in the Twelve Hotel out in Barna. It is only 10 mins from Salthill so well within taxi range. I ate there 2 months ago and can thoroughly recommend it. It is fine dining (and taste), pretty exclusive and not hugely expensive for what it is. Staff are great too, and the bar part is nice to lounge in before the meal.

http://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/west-restaurant-menu

Come to think of it, I have to admit I actually brought people here before to impress - not for the same reasons as you probably - and they were impressed.

ate there - one of the most non-atmospheric places i have ever eaten in. Stick to downstairs if you are at the Twelve hotel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Fishy fishy, please stick to recommendations rather than anti-recommendations, if you can't do that then just don't post, this isn't a new thing and has been mentioned to you in past threads so please listen this time.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Raw in the Radisson?

Its sushi, but I could see a limo rock up there. Nice views too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

How about Padraicins in Furbo, nice beach to walk on, and recently won lots of awards. While not exactly posh, its location is pretty classy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

We've kinda named every type of place there is to eat on here!
    OP did mention food quality was not as important as 'glitz' factor. By that I took it to mean flash, not necessarily high food standard. But everyone will have a different interpretation of this.
    OP did you pick somewhere? If not can you give us a 'similar to...' that might narrow down suggestions :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

To revive an old thread! Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I keep referring back to this thread quite often looking for venue ideas!

I ended up with the G at the time and was pleasantly surprised with the food and the service as the staff were very helpful.

It was for a particular type of an occasion so, the "flash" was as an important part as the food quality and it didn't disappoint on that score either :)

for Cordon Bleu there are better places but the two steaks were still pretty daycent!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Purely out of curiosity on my part, what was the occasion, if you can share? If I want to impress someone with a restaurant selection, the food would always be the first priority. I think people will remember exceptional food far longer than they will the glitz factor (unless you have a restaurant with a truly spectacular location, such as the one atop the Eiffel tower).

tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Was just treating a good friend to something a bit different. It went down well for the most part, went for drinks in town after with some more friends and had a good time. For the cost it wasn't exceptional but it was decent and good service. Cocktails there were pretty tasty too. That was a year or so ago now though.

There are other places in galway that would prob be better again on the food front such as kai or loam or the restaurant at nimmos, or cava or ard bia etc etc. A great tip a came across since is to get to know some of the farm suppliers for places you already like and theyll direct you to other places they either supply or known through the trade to be good bets.

Reading back I'm gutted to hear Martines appears to have gone downhilldownhill as it was one of my firm faves when I lived there a few years ago.

Advertisement