Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedestrian Bridge over Nore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Would be nice to see it named after George Berkeley or Jonathan Dean Swift, both men of international renown, and both with strong connections with the city- Berkeley being born here, and Swift educated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

James Hoban or St. Canice would be good options too.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Einhard wrote: »
    Would be nice to see it named after George Berkeley or Jonathan Dean Swift, both men of international renown, and both with strong connections with the city- Berkeley being born here, and Swift educated.

Agreed. Think the Henry Shefflin bridge is tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Has to be Carnegie Bridge.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Berkeley bridge sounds great. The more I read about his philosophy and his times the greater appreciation I have of his impact on western thought. He thinking was really revolutionary for the day and very influential on future philosophies.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

A great addition to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I like sound of Shefflin Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The Tutsie Barry bridge?

Plug wrote: »
    The Tutsie Barry bridge?
    I wonder if Dunnes would sponsor a bronze statue for their auld regular.

It's great to see this going ahead at long last. It has been talked about for decades! My mam lived in the area for a while and was really excited when the bridge was first suggested. Unfortunately she died over ten years ago and it's only finally happening now. I like the sound of Berkeley Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

I'm stunned that nobody has suggested doing the right and obvious thing and naming it after the greatest living Kilkennyman. The John McGuinness Bridge is surely the only way to go. (A free roll of toilet paper with every crossing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I like sound of Shefflin Bridge

I don't. I think it's a bit weird to name a monument in honour of a person who is not only still alive, but still playing their sport.

Lady Desart Bridge gets my vote, especially since she actually paid to have a bridge installed on the river for people to use (until floods washed it away).

Seems fitting.

Sky King wrote: »
    I don't. I think it's a bit weird to name a monument in honour of a person who is not only still alive, but still playing their sport.

Lady Desart Bridge gets my vote, especially since she actually paid to have a bridge installed on the river for people to use (until floods washed it away).

Seems fitting.

Me too. And she did a lot for the poor of Kilkenny years ago and founded Aut Even hospital. Best suggestion so far by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

How about foxcover teddy bridge anyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Somewhat surprised that Butlers Bridge has not been suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Mark my words, whatever the official name, it'll be called 'Dunnes Bridge'

Mark my words, whatever the official name, it'll be called 'Dunnes Bridge'
    ...or simply the footbridge!

edit to add i actually remember this been discussed back in the 70s so won't be surprised if nothing comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

The bridge linking the bennetstbridge roundabout, with the dublin road roundabout, on our ring road is still referred to as 'The new bridge' by many. Anybody know the real name?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

mydogjack wrote: »
    The bridge linking the bennetstbridge roundabout, with the dublin road roundabout, on our ring road is still referred to as 'The new bridge' by many. Anybody know the real name?

Think its ossory bridge.

You can make suggestions for the naming of the new bridge. Email address at end of article.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/names-sought-for-new-bridge-1-5678166

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

No, No No, you cannot call it Foxcoverteddy Bridge, I suppose if you insist, I will be ready to do my civic duty.
    Lady Desart sounds really good, deserving, most of the others yes tacky, I do have a suggestion, Patrick Septiers, no idea I guess who Patrick is, eh.
    Well the current Mayor of Monet suir Loing, seeing we are twinned with this delightful French town, and as far as I can tell we do f'all to increase our knowledge of Monet.
    Bonsoir mon amis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No, No No, you cannot call it Foxcoverteddy Bridge, I suppose if you insist, I will be ready to do my civic duty.
    Lady Desart sounds really good, deserving, most of the others yes tacky, I do have a suggestion, Patrick Septiers, no idea I guess who Patrick is, eh.
    Well the current Mayor of Monet suir Loing, seeing we are twinned with this delightful French town, and as far as I can tell we do f'all to increase our knowledge of Monet.
    Bonsoir mon amis.

I cycled to Moret from here once.

Well done, bet you are quite proud of doing that, so what was your opinion of the town, on images it looks spectacular, was it worth going to, answer yes of course, hopefully you will get what I am saying. Great pity we are not running something for the twinning, how about pictures on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭maddladd

How about a Garden Bridge similar to the one being planned in London, would cost a lot more but what a talking point for the City, Kilkenny needs radical new ideas to keep it fresh.

http://www.archdaily.com/389848/

Well done, bet you are quite proud of doing that, so what was your opinion of the town, on images it looks spectacular, was it worth going to, answer yes of course, hopefully you will get what I am saying. Great pity we are not running something for the twinning, how about pictures on Boards

Yes it's a beautiful little town, it even has a bicycle museum. I would gladly organise a charity spin to there if there were enough people interested.

I think the pedestrian bridge is just prefabricated, will be slapped down in a day type thing. Going on the previous suggestions, I think Lady Desart is the one that stands out.

I like Lady Desart Bridge too, but think Berkeley Bridge would raise awareness of a great philosopher in his home town, and also provide fresh links with America. I'm sure that lots of people from his eponymous city and college would be quite interested in the origins of the man after whom their various instituions are named.

Lady Desart is the one that stands out for me. It would be a fitting tribute for a woman who did so much for Kilkenny;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/features/the-countess-who-left-such-a-legacy-in-kilkenny-including-our-100-year-old-library-1-2175585

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Cranes and Bridge-like structures down there today

No one commented on Maddlads suggestion, I looked at the pictures of the proposed bridge, and by jove it is really worth giving thought about, just think of the tranquillity of such a spot, and why not find other area's in our beautiful city to do something similar.
    Most of what has arrived has been bland concrete, take the mayors walk boring but a design area as such could transform the place, we should be thinking of peace and love of nature.
    The nore embankment is dire to be honest, come on plants trees and the such like.
    Well done Maddlad, perhaps the old mart site could become a haven of joy rather than a shopping area, it would take a few years to get off the ground, how about plant a tree for twenty three, one could extend this to Callan if ever a place needed something of beauty it is Callan
    Foxy

• Advertisement

That London bridge is a great idea...for London. But would be completely out of place in Kilkenny, IMO. It would need to be massive, bigger than either of the current bridges on that stretch of the river. Bigger than both of them combined I'd imagine. I mean, it would have to support a whole park. It would be very intrusive too. It would block the views up and down the river, and I'd imagine would have a detrimental effect on river activity too. It would have to be very deep to take the roots from trees and plants, and there's simply not that amount of space on the Nore. If you look at the London plans, the bridge is very much elevated. Obviously that's not possible with the Nore bridge. I'm all for greening the city, but this just isn't feasible. Great idea though. Could work in on the Shannon maybe, or on the Lee estuary. Not in Kilkenny though.

Advertisement