Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedestrian Bridge over Nore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well whatever bridge is chosen i hope there won't be grip issues during frosty weather like there were with the newer pedestrian bridge in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Catbear you are correct, however if there is any such problem, we should demand the resignation of the County Engineer and the County Manager.
    Of course there will not be a problem for FoxcoverTeddies who have tenacious grip.
    Foxy just slipping off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There were slippiness issues in Watershed - if you all remember. Maybe some lessons were learned since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Any update on the construction? Anyone got pictures yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I saw the bridge (or part of it) in Dunnes carpark

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Any more news on the project?
    Just a quick one who is actually going to use it? Do we expect an increase in footfall from one bank to the other?
    You won't be wheeling the shopping trolley over it, is there a genuine purpose?
    There is very little housing around, is it to look pretty?
    I am still waiting I have ribbon and scissors ready for the ceremony. Is it going to be possible to cycle over the bridge, will it be covered?
    No doubt someone has the answer.
    Baffled foxy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hey Foxy, Dont know much about this project but think it is a great idea.

I can't see it be covered, not really much point in putting a cover on it.
    It does connect the library car park with Dunnes cark park. At the back of the library there is access to Michael Street. I presume those people will use it. It will also help tourist explore that area of town. The Library is a fine building.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I believe it will be possible to cycle across it. You will be able to go from John's Green to Dunnes without going by the narrow footpaths along John's Street and Rose Inn Street. John's Green, through the car park, there's currently a lane at the back of that car park, take a left onto Michael Street, right down that one way and somewhere on the quay will be the footbridge to take you across.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

What are the plans with John's Quay? Just landing a footbridge over there and allowing two way traffic is going to reduce the usefulness/appeal of the bridge. It's already tight enough driving down past Matt's as it is and one would imagine a footpath will need to be added at some stage. Unless the plan is to direct people out through Gardenia to reach John St.

One way system and only leave via the little slip road at the back of the library car park perhaps?

Edit: didnt see previous post before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

AFAIK, there are plans afoot to re-locate the Butler Gallery to Evans' Home, and create something of a cultural hub in that area. The footbridge would make it a lot more accessible to people.

Anyone have an pictures they could throw up? Am living abroad and am nosy!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Picture a big steel bridge . . . . in Dunnes car park :D

That's as far as development is so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

best pic i could get

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

SNIP..I believe it will be possible to cycle across it.

Will there be a cycle lane or will pedestrians have to jump out of the way?:confused:
    You can't cycle over the Millenium bridge in London you have to wheel your bike, so this one is wider?

Will there be a cycle lane or will pedestrians have to jump out of the way?:confused:
    You can't cycle over the Millenium bridge in London you have to wheel your bike, so this one is wider?

I don't know and personally I'm not in favor of sharing space with pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Why share when you can be aware.

In urban areas motorists must take account of both cyclists and pedestrians.
    Cyclists must take account of pedestrians.

I'm against demarcation and am for courtesy. The media thrives on confrontation so I doubt they'll promote courtesy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Pics as requested.

This project is giving me a serious need to rant about the CAS project. :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

The Captain is correct, the bridge will be shared between pedestrians and cyclists, with pedestrian priority. Apparently it was designed in accordance with the National Cycle Manual which says:

"The key determinant of whether to mix cyclists and pedestrians on bridges is the speed of the bike. This is influenced by the length and slope of the bridge.
    Non-traffic short flat bridges are suitable for shared use with pedestrian priority. However, longer bridges where cyclists are likely to build up higher speeds, should segregate both modes."
    http://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/1-9-pedestrians-and-cyclists/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

No big deal if it's being shared by cyclists and pedestrians. Probably about 5 bikes an hour will pass over it going well.

• Advertisement

Photo0318.jpg
    Here it is!

Surely that's not the final colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It's absolutely horrendous and who ever is responsible for it sholdl be named and shamed. It completely alien to the landscape.
    How does the process work? is there no one that put there handy up and point out that the new bridge is horrendous

I think it is geometrically grand actually, but that colour is rank. Fingers crossed it's just a coat of primer.

They need to paint it black... or dark grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Yeah, it looks pretty mank to be honest, but apparently a lot of work still has to be done on it, and they're gona change the colour, so maybe it'll spruce up well. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

inthehat wrote: »
    Photo0318.jpg
    Here it is!
    Jesus some city planner must have been on "happy tablets"to grant planning for that abortion of a yoke. At least the ppl in the liberary won't have as far to walk to get to Dunnes for their lunch roll.

Jesus some city planner must have been on "happy tablets"to grant planning for that abortion of a yoke. At least the ppl in the liberary won't have as far to walk to get to Dunnes for their lunch roll.

Don't worry, you'll hardly notice it when the CAS bridge is built.

How can you all condem the planner's for such a lovely extension to our heritage city, at least it isn't going to wash away.
    Fear not one can see they have the cities interest at heart, it was no good complaining or organising petitions, a waste of our time and effort, and we now have a pedestrian bridge to be proud of.
    I looked for lifebuoys but they seemed to be missing, we can forget about naming it, yep he who runs our city will have made up his mind, it will be called, do what you like you will be stuck with it.
    Remember the Dartford river bridge, The Queen Elizabeth II bridge, don't think I have anyone refer to it's name.
    Of course if it was the Foxcoverteddy Pedestrian walkway, that might be different, actually I was wondering if we were going to attract tourists with a Carrick a reidy style, but along as pedestrians and cyclist enjoy the attraction, are motorcycles banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

everyone should hold fire until they finish it , ,,its not great but let them finish it...

Advertisement