Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedestrian Bridge over Nore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

ft9 wrote: »
    No big deal if it's being shared by cyclists and pedestrians. Probably about 5 bikes an hour will pass over it going well.

And not too many pedestrians will pass over it once the library moves. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What's happening to old library building and where is library moving to?

What's happening to old library building and where is library moving to?

The Library is moving to a big brand new building beside County Hall. It's all here:

http://www.kilkennycity.ie/eng/Services/Planning/Part_8_Developments/New_City_and_County_Library_/

Seems to be loads of money sloshing around, but sure that's what having a minister is all about ;)

I have no idea what's going to happen to present library building on John's Quay. Anyone see any plans for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hope that wouldn't be the end of the library in Loughboy then (though the name of the new main library suggests it might be). Kids absolutely love it and the staff in there have really encouraged them to read more.

Hope something decent is done with the old main library, its a lovely building.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

An art gallery for the old library or a museum I heard before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If it looks like the artist impression then I think it'll be quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

The Catwalk

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

traffic/pedestrian management expert are u??? :D

traffic/pedestrian management expert are u??? :D

Ha Ha, not at all NoGuts, but if I was I sure wouldn't have put that bridge there!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Ha Ha, not at all NoGuts, but if I was I sure wouldn't have put that bridge there!

wait and see.. that bridge will be a great success...... think long term ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

wait and see.. that bridge will be a great success...... think long term ... :)

Exactly. All about pushing the city forward. How an extra pedestrian bridge in the city centre could be a bad thing, I'll never know.

This will become more into play as the Brewery site is developed in tandem with the old Mart and connect with the MacDonagh Junction/John st area and the city centre. Kudos to the Council for providing infrastructure in advance of developments instead of after. I really think so much could be done with the Market Yard area too but that's a long way off I reckon. Cuts the new bridge off from High st. (shortest route will be across the car park!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Okay so what has happened since the basics were laid, is it open to traffic, closed, where are all our informants?
    By the way our Boards seem very quiet of late, Phil and john not even a whisper of their names, actually pity neither of them was at the laying of the bridge which was a very poorly turned out affair.
    Obviously not much publicity in the project, what is it the bridge to nowhere.
    If the library is going what was the point, can't see it will help tourists not unless we are doing bungy jumping for seniors.
    Puzzled foxy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Passed it this evening. Work is still on going. They currently working on the access from each side. Steps and wheelchair(bicycle) access on library side.

I accessed the bridge from Michael street. The bridge will help that school there big time. Now families won't have to cross the river via car to get to the school.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kikel wrote: »
    The bridge will help that school there big time. Now families won't have to cross the river via car to get to the school.

What?, and leave their precious kids walk...never!

alot of parents going to school are the same as alot of people that go shopping and drive, if they could park at the checkout or classroom they would.
    :mad:

Cabaal wrote: »
    What?, and leave their precious kids walk...never!

alot of parents going to school are the same as alot of people that go shopping and drive, if they could park at the checkout or classroom they would.
    :mad:
    I doubt if any families from the other side of the river attend the school - it's in St John's parish and the majority of pupils there come from the Lintown/ Assumption Place/ Bishop Birch/ Newpark areas. Families at the other side of the river would tend to go to the Presentation/ St Canices/ CBS/ St Patricks schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Yes it's a beautiful little town, it even has a bicycle museum. I would gladly organise a charity spin to there if there were enough people interested.

I think the pedestrian bridge is just prefabricated, will be slapped down in a day type thing. Going on the previous suggestions, I think Lady Desart is the one that stands out.

To name it after Lady Desart it would have to be more elegant I'm afraid rather than look like leftovers from Croke park.

[IMG][/img]2mysx1f.jpg

The Lady Desart Walkway, Cabaal's thoughts have already come true about driving up to the checkout, its called home delivery, one no longer needs to drive to the supermarket, it is here at ones finger tips. So much for progress.
    Happy shopping Foxy

Just wondering - do any of you have a photo of the old pedestrian bridge linking the Bleach Rd and Talbot's Inch? Lady Desart built it for the workers who lived in Talbot's Inch and who worked in the mills (also built by her) at the Bleach Rd side of the river. It was there up to the forties I think- not sure exactly when it fell. It would be interesting to compare the designs!

inthehat wrote: »
    Just wondering - do any of you have a photo of the old pedestrian bridge linking the Bleach Rd and Talbot's Inch? Lady Desart built it for the workers who lived in Talbot's Inch and who worked in the mills (also built by her) at the Bleach Rd side of the river. It was there up to the forties I think- not sure exactly when it fell. It would be interesting to compare the designs!

Is this the one?

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000340009/Image?lookfor=http://www.nli.ie/glassplates/L_CAB/L_CAB_00231.jpg

Grief they have built a replica, well not quite, the old one was a work of art, well done for the picture, progress progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

A better look at the new one.:eek:

http://youtu.be/kK4xSK5klw4

A better look at the new one.

Thanks a mil for that, Red T:) - I often heard my mother talking about going for walks on a Sunday when she was young, - out one side of the river and back the other via that bridge - so it's lovely to see what she was talking about. I had forgotten it was a suspension bridge. It looked impressive.

thanks, well done, to be honest it will no doubt last for many a year, though it is fun being stupid sometimes. Long may the Lady Desart bridge be part of Kilkenny.
    Foxy inspired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's to be called Lady Desart Bridge (Droichead an Bantiarna Desart).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's to be called Lady Desart Bridge (Droichead an Bantiarna Desart).

Thank feck for that, glad as hell they didn't name it something hurling related.

After all kilkenny has lots of other interesting things besides hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It cost €600,000.

I'm glad it looks like it cost that much and that there was nothing else the city needed to spend €600,000 on.

Threadhead wrote: »
    It cost €600,000.

I'm glad it looks like it cost that much and that there was nothing else the city needed to spend €600,000 on.

So we shouldn't build nice things in the city then?

Threadhead wrote: »
    It cost €600,000.

Yes it's a beautiful and badly needed piece of infrastructure.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Cabaal wrote: »
    So we shouldn't build nice things in the city then?

We should definitely build nice things. But it would be nice to build nice things that we actually need.

Advertisement