Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pedestrian Bridge over Nore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I can't see the necessity of this bridge at all really apart from making access to the library a little easier. And whoever chose the design must have been colour-blind. This is like one of those awful Celtic Tiger white elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

thelad95 wrote: »
    I can't see the necessity of this bridge at all really apart from making access to the library a little easier. And whoever chose the design must have been colour-blind. This is like one of those awful Celtic Tiger white elephants.

The (or rather a) bridge is necessary because the hope is to develop a culturl quarter in the area behind John's Protestant Church, Carnegie Library and Evans' Home. The ambition is to transfer Butler Gallery to the Home, have a new larger library on John's St where Meubles used to be, and a few other smaller projects. It's very ambitious, and would be amazing for Kilkenny if it came to fruition.

With that in mind, a pedestrian bridge is ideal to open up that quarter to the other side of the city. I know it's only a few hundred metres extra to walk up to John's Bridge and back down, but very few people do it. When I lived in KK, I often rambled about the city, and I was rarely down that part of the town. People just walk past Matt's without even stopping to think about what might be down the rive rbank. Including tourists. The idea of the bridge is to both make it more accessible, but also to create a kind of gateway. This is especially the case with the forthcoming re-development of the Brewery site. It would almost directly connect both new urban quarters. Now, people might not agree with the design of the bridge, but I think the idea of the bridge was, and is, a good idea.

As for white elephant, I imagine the upkeep will be minimal, so I don't see how it could be described so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Einhard wrote: »
    The (or rather a) bridge is necessary because the hope is to develop a culturl quarter in the area behind John's Protestant Church, Carnegie Library and Evans' Home. The ambition is to transfer Butler Gallery to the Home, have a new larger library on John's St where Meubles used to be, and a few other smaller projects. It's very ambitious, and would be amazing for Kilkenny if it came to fruition.

With that in mind, a pedestrian bridge is ideal to open up that quarter to the other side of the city. I know it's only a few hundred metres extra to walk up to John's Bridge and back down, but very few people do it. When I lived in KK, I often rambled about the city, and I was rarely down that part of the town. People just walk past Matt's without even stopping to think about what might be down the rive rbank. Including tourists. The idea of the bridge is to both make it more accessible, but also to create a kind of gateway. This is especially the case with the forthcoming re-development of the Brewery site. It would almost directly connect both new urban quarters. Now, people might not agree with the design of the bridge, but I think the idea of the bridge was, and is, a good idea.

As for white elephant, I imagine the upkeep will be minimal, so I don't see how it could be described so.

Very ambitious indeed and if these plans came to fruition, it would be a magnificent addition to the city but in it's present state the bridge comes across as nothing more than an eyesore. In saying that, if there was (and there does seem to be) a widespread concern about the cosmetics of the bridge I'm sure work could be done on it in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Einhard wrote: »

Totally agree. The new bridge seems like a white elephant a bit because either side of it are not core to the city centre. One side is Dunnes car park and the other a library and old residential area of Kilkenny. Once the Brewery site is redeveloped and the old mart site also then it will become integral to the city centre. I really can't wait for these plans to push forward as they will bring Kilkenny forward yet more as a national player in terms of commercial development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I use the new bridge regularly now and can confirm that many others make use of it too. It's a wonderful addition to our City. I'm eagerly looking forward to a second new pedestrian bridge that will run under the Ossory Bridge. For those of us who walk the Quay, boardwalk and Canal the whole project will be a brilliant amenity. Particularly so when all the plans for the river side on both sides are in place. Well done to all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is like one of those awful Celtic Tiger white elephants.
    It's only a white elephant if it's not used and I've used it now instead of Johns bridge.

Grats wrote: »
    I use the new bridge regularly now and can confirm that many others make use of it too. It's a wonderful addition to our City. I'm eagerly looking forward to a second new pedestrian bridge that will run under the Ossory Bridge. For those of us who walk the Quay, boardwalk and Canal the whole project will be a brilliant amenity. Particularly so when all the plans for the river side on both sides are in place. Well done to all concerned.
    catbear wrote: »
    It's only a white elephant if it's not used and I've used it now instead of Johns bridge.
    Agreed. I'm using it all the time now too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've used it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

i agree, the new bridge is great (apart from the colour)and the new bridge proposed to link both side of the river under ossory bridge will be a great asset to the city.. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Its not as bad as most people make it out to be tbh.
    Its handy to use too if you want to park around the library and hop across to dunnes or highstreet.

At least now you dont have to cut all the way down to Johns bridge/Rose inn street.

• Advertisement

oak5548 wrote: »

At least now you dont have to cut all the way down to Johns bridge/Rose inn street.
    That's definitely the best bit, I hate negotiating that narrow path on the corner where there's not enough room for people to pass eachother without one person having to step into traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Wasn't needed at all. And it cost a ridiculous amount. I suppose the council has to be seen to be doing something.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

A need footbridge down by ossary bridge? Tell me more.

kikel wrote: »
    A need footbridge down by ossary bridge? Tell me more.

Read a planning notification for it that is attached to a post near the entrance to the boardwalk on the Ring Road.

Neither pedestrian bridge is "needed" but a welcome amenity to the City nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Plenty of other amenities needed before a footbridge. If it really cost E600,000, that is an absolute joke.

We've been promised that bridge for many years. It has finally been delivered and it is there for evermore. Money badly spent in some people's opinion. Money well spent in my opinion. Like most people I have contributed to the cost of such amenities through PAYE and am happy to see some of that money being spent to improve our city.

As somebody mentioned, the bridge should not be taken in isolation to the overall plan for the river bank.

Like most people I have contributed to the cost of such amenities through PAYE and am happy to see some of that money being spent to improve our city.
    Everyone contributes through VAT and user charges so the cost of public works doesn't rest solely on PAYE contributors.

catbear wrote: »
    Everyone contributes through VAT and user charges so the cost of public works doesn't rest solely on PAYE contributors.

Of course, I should have said TAX. Nobody solely pays PAYE, everybody does indeed pay VAT and charges also. My point still stands, I am happy to see my taxes used for such amenities.

Of course, I should have said TAX. Nobody solely pays PAYE, everybody does indeed pay VAT and charges also. My point still stands, I am happy to see my taxes used for such amenities.
    Good, I just wanted to confirm you're not one of these who think that those not in PAYE employment shouldn't have a say in public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

...yeah... god forbid he's one of "them"??!!!

boooo...careful now...

;)

• Advertisement

Rantan wrote: »
    ...yeah... god forbid he's one of "them"??!!!

boooo...careful now...

;)

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Theres a protest happening over a new bridge did any of you get the flyers in your door?

That's the Central Access Scheme completely different. But no less an eyesore and located nearby to this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Anyone know when the CAS is going to start?

linny wrote: »
    Anyone know when the CAS is going to start?

I thought I read some place before end 2014 to start but who knows now.
    Having seen pics of the proposed bridge I'm starting to side with the anti-side. I had been pro it 'til I saw the pics. It's ugly, ill placed and ill judged. Would much rather now see the ring road built and this dropped.
    It looks like a motorway overbridge slapped right in the middle of an old city. If it was something elegant and tasteful, yes as the city needs infrastructure but not unless totally redesigned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

any links to pictures of the new bridge?

Cabaal wrote: »
    any links to pictures of the new bridge?
    Are there newer renderings of the Congestion Acceleration Scheme than this?
    new-bridge-peace-park-kilkenny.jpg

Is this not the Pedestrian Bridge thread? Unless ye are referring to the new pedestrian bridge, under the Ossory Bridge, I think it only reasonable to post non relevant comments elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Is this not the Pedestrian Bridge thread? Unless ye are referring to the new pedestrian bridge, under the Ossory Bridge, I think it only reasonable to post non relevant comments elsewhere.

Actually Grats, I think you'll find that if you want to post about a new pedestrian bridge under the Ossory Bridge then you are in the wrong thread and you should post your non relevant comments elsewhere.

This thread is about the Lady Desart Bridge.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    Actually Grats, I think you'll find that if you want to post about a new pedestrian bridge under the Ossory Bridge then you are in the wrong thread and you should post your non relevant comments elsewhere.

This thread is about the Lady Desart Bridge.

Well the thread title doesn't state Lady Desart Bridge! It clearly says Pedestrian Bridge but certainly not the CAS bridge. My reference to the new Pedestrian Bridge under the Ossory Bridge was made in relation to when the entire river side project was complete.

I'll start a new thread, in the proper way, when needs be!

Advertisement