Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder to hire?

Options
  • 01-11-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi. Theres a house we have viewed & are interested in. As there is a lot of work to be done, Im just wondering could someone recommend a builder to view it with us & give us some estimated prices? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

baggote2 wrote: »
    Hi. Theres a house we have viewed & are interested in. As there is a lot of work to be done, Im just wondering could someone recommend a builder to view it with us & give us some estimated prices? Cheers

While I won't be able to recommend a builder, I'm sure the location will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 baggote2

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

baggote2 wrote: »
    If you get a quote, ensure you have it in writing, otherwise you become the blank cheque. Added to that, what may seem a cheap house, will probably turn into a money hole.

Get an engineer out to look at it first, to tell you what needs fixing, before the builder, and compare what each tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would suggest you go with a building surveyor or a quantity surveyor. You will have to pay them, but better a few hundred now than a hundred thousand down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU get A STRUCTURAL survey from a surveyor,
    it lists things that need to be fixed,or brought up to modern standards.
    it,ll give the cost of repairs, list of repairs needed.
    cost a few hundred euro.
    IF you decide house is worth buying ,then get quotes from 3 builders.
    old houses tend to have 3 or 4 cracked tiles which cause small leaks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 baggote2

So it seems to get a surveyor would be the first step & will be worth the cost. We've gotte move quick so gonna try organise that today. So a building surveyor or quantity surveyor? Cheers everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Find someone like a building surveyor.

note - From one building surveyor found on Goldenpages.ie:
    I hold Professional Indemnity cover and I am a Member of the Professional bodies, CIOB and an association IBSA.

I think that means he has insurance, in case he misses something major in his survey.
    Ie You are looking for a full Structural survey that lists all defects minor or MAJOR problems with the property for example -dry rot, rising damp etc -things that will need fixing if you decide to buy the house.

look in golden pages eg Building Surveyor , COST 300-400 euro last time, i checked for a standard 3 bed house, say 900 sq ft.

Advertisement