Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a blog app built cheaply

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi.everybody

I need a blog type app built but I've a very limited budget

Any ideas where I could go to get it done cheaply please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In theory you can outsource it to some outfit in India or Pakistan, using a site like Freelancer.com for perhaps as little as a few hundred or thousand Euro.

In practice, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience in outsourcing and technical knowledge, otherwise you are more than likely going to get burnt, several times, before you get a developer who works for you. As you clearly don't have outsourcing experience, I would steer clear of this.

Another option would be to use some framework designed, such as Appmakr or iBuildApp, to help people develop their own basic apps, but these tend to be OS specific, limited functionality and also come with strings attached (e.g. advertising, IP rights, etc).

Taking on a developer as a business partner (if this app is for a commercial venture) is another option. There are various options as how to do this, and difficulties; search through the forums for threads on this as it's frankly been done to death.

Beyond that, it really depends upon what you mean by 'cheap' and what functionality you want in your app. There are numerous capable developers and development houses out there, so there is some competition on price, but you will still be talking at least four or five figures in most cases.

Whatever you decide, just don't make the mistake of being penny wise and pound foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nameisme

I appreciate your reply. I'm going to give it some thought and see which proves the most beneficial.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If all you need is a blog, is there any reason you wouldn't use WordPress?

Oops, mis-interpreted what you were looking for. You're after an app not a blogging platform.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If you've any technical knowledge, you could have a go at using these to build apps off the back of a WordPress site:

https://github.com/kmonaghan/Broadsheet.ie-Android

https://github.com/kmonaghan/KMWordPress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Draco wrote: »
    If you've any technical knowledge, you could have a go at using these to build apps off the back of a WordPress site
    The KMWordPress solution appears to be more for managing than displaying a blog.

The Broadsheet.ie solution, along with a WordPress site, may be a viable solution for the OP as it should all slot together pretty quickly - presuming it actually does. If so, he should be able to get the two put together relevantly cheaply; below €1,000 anyway.

Depends on what functionality is afforded by this solution and what the OP desires.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

KMWordPress is for displaying a blog - it's the iOS version of Broadsheet.ie-Android. They're the basis for the current live Broadsheet.ie iOS and Android apps. I should know - it's my code.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nameisme

Thanks for the replies but I'm sorta looking for something along the lines of "dudamobile" but better? :)

Advertisement