Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Back2back marathon

Options
  • 01-11-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi folks,

Anyone considering doing this in 2014 or done it before? I have completed 5 marathons in the last year and a half and am looking for the next challenge. Would you recommend it?

I'm a steady 4 hour marathon pace, any ideas how to approach this kind of event?

Marathons to date for me have been Cork city 2012/2013, DCM 2012/2013 & Tralee 2013. How does the clon course compare?

Lots of questions there!,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Done them this year, the course is fairly hilly compared to the marathons u've done to date, some nice scenary although it can get windy/rainy along the coast.

Suggest u slow the pace down to 4:15/4:30 on 1st day and try hold same pace for the 2nd day, depending how u manage the hills.

Think the entries close this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Thx Gijima,

Ya was thinking of heading out at 4:30 pace n take it handy. How was your experience of facing into the second day? Had you done many marathons before this?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

2nd day felt tough on the legs... ended-up 15min slower that 1st day.

I'd a good few marathons done [incl a few b2b] before this, but was'nt quite prepared for the B2B that early in the year.

You might consider doing the marathon in Dec, to get a feel for the course, which is the same for the B2B.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Ya was thinking of it in December alright, see how it goes,
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Did anyone notice the high Bank Fees & Charges for this race ? The charges for the Double (€8.50) are more than twice those for the single Marathons (€4.20). I was going to sign up last night, but stopped and am waiting for an explanation from the organizers. Meanwhile, I checked the Connemara Ultra and noticed that their €70 Race Fee includes everything (no additional charges).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Redtop wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the high Bank Fees & Charges for this race ? The charges for the Double (€8.50) are more than twice those for the single Marathons (€4.20). I was going to sign up last night, but stopped and am waiting for an explanation from the organizers. Meanwhile, I checked the Connemara Ultra and noticed that their €70 Race Fee includes everything (no additional charges).

Those charges appear to only apply to the Precision Timing registration form,

Have you tried the active link instead?
    https://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1207084

Not sure if the active one has any charges as I signed up by cheque,

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

The Active.com charges were listed as €8.48. I think it was Precision Timing that was €8.50. Activeglobal.com did not charge anything extra for the Connemara Ultra (€70 total). I would prefer to use Credit Card online, rather than cheque by post and am prepared to pay a small fee for that service, but €8.48 is pushing it, considering you are already paying €115 for the 2 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Here is a course preview. It's one hilly course. Some say 2nd hardest marathon course in Ireland

http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/cork053.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So less then a week to go,
    Many people off of here doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Redtop wrote: »
    The Active.com charges were listed as €8.48. I think it was Precision Timing that was €8.50. Activeglobal.com did not charge anything extra for the Connemara Ultra (€70 total). I would prefer to use Credit Card online, rather than cheque by post and am prepared to pay a small fee for that service, but €8.48 is pushing it, considering you are already paying €115 for the 2 races.
    The (percentage) charge is set by the company taking the on-line entries.

One of the options offered by the on-line entry company to event organisers, when setting up the event, is to absorb the charge in the entry fee, or to have the punter pay.

The event organiser, not the company accepting on-line entries, decides whether the punter pays on top of the fee, or to include in the nominal entry fee.

Fwiw, Given that a percentage are always going to be "no shows", my own view is that the organiser should absorb the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

viperlogic wrote: »
    Here is a course preview. It's one hilly course. Some say 2nd hardest marathon course in Ireland

http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/cork053.html
    Its a tough marathon course but i can think of loads tougher. I know the organisers and they put immence effort into organising these marathons. if you dont agree with the3 price dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

What is weather like for this tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Its a tough marathon course but i can think of loads tougher.

What marathons in Ireland would be tougher than it? Connemara?

2 of the quadrathon courses at least. Mourne way, causeway coast, clare burren. Course in howth in dublin. Im not saying its not tough and its very scenic and the lads up there put on a great marathon

2 of the quadrathon courses at least. Mourne way, causeway coast, clare burren. Course in howth in dublin. Im not saying its not tough and its very scenic and the lads up there put on a great marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Oisin11178 wrote: »

Mourne Way, Causeway Coast and Clare Burren are off-road, so that's not really a fair comparison.

As for road marathons, I can't speak for the quadrathon ones, but Dingle is tougher than Clon. Clonakilty is roughly equivalent to Connemara, I'd say. Obviously, that's all subjective. None of them are easy, all of them are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Had a great time, the hills were as tough as always but the atmosphere was great, it's what brings me back to longer distance races time and time again.Had a steady 4.15 both days, but more importantly, a whale of a time. Well done to bob and killian down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Friend of mine running it said she thought the tractor/trailer to take people through the flooded part felt like a Father Ted moment :)

Advertisement