Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Friday 18th April - 7.5k (with 5 x 800m @ 10k pace)
    4.66m @ 7:34p/m average (143bpm avg)

It's amazing how two days off can seem like an eternity when running has become so much of a habit. I meant to do this session last night, but put it back another day as I still wasn't feeling 100%. I'm glad I did now, considering how beautiful it is outside. I only wish I was running a race today. Anyway the plan here was to keep the pace of the 800's to around 3:00 per interval (3:45min/km), which would equate to a 37:30 10k. I'm hoping to race something close to that time in the very near future. I took about 1km to warm up, then got stuck into the crux of the workout. I found the pace very comfortable, which has definitely given me a bit of a confidence boost going into Monday considering how my last training session ended. Will probably throw in a recovery run tomorrow with some light stretching and foam rolling. Hopefully the weather keeps up for the next few days.

Splits (800s):

1 - 2:57 (152bpm)
    2 - 2:58 (155bpm)
    3 - 2:58 (155bpm)
    4 - 2:58 (156bpm)
    5 - 2:59 (156bpm)

Saturday 19th April - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    4m @ 8:28p/m average (119bpm avg)
    Strides: (17:89, 16:67, 16:41, 17:38, 15:84, 17:07)

Set out below my easy running HR (125bpm) for a few recovery miles on another wonderful morning. Never felt like I was making much effort, yet all four miles are quicker than my usual pace at this heart rate. This is a sign of two things in my opinion:

1. The HADD training is working, as my speed is increasing at each heart rate (even below 125bpm!).
    2. A couple of days off running has done me the world of good.

It appears resting from time to time actually benefits you! Who knew? :P
    Was feeling so good when I finished that I threw in a few unplanned strides. Although this was only an easy run to shake out the legs, I am really excited about how I was moving today. I'm very confident of a big run on Monday and will be hugely disappointed if I don't run a good time.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:18 (115bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:26 (120bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:30 (121bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:39 (123bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck on Monday.....Enjoy and kick ass!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Monday.

Cheers lads. I'll do my best.
    Off to the horse racing first in Cork tomorrow. See can I win a few quid to pay the travel expenses.

• Advertisement

Horrible morning in Clonakilty.
    Where's the sun gone?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Horrible morning in Clonakilty.
    Where's the sun gone?

You left it behind in Dublin. Toastie here today. How did you get on?

FBOT01 wrote: »
    You left it behind in Dublin. Toastie here today. How did you get on?

8th place in 1:05:02.
    I thought I was a cert to go below 65, but it was very hilly & extremely windy. I was disappointed at first, but apparently the winner (1:00:35) is normally a 56 minute man so maybe it was a better run than I originally thought. I'll do a full report when I get home.

8th place in 1:05:02.
    I thought I was a cert to go below 65, but it was very hilly & extremely windy. I was disappointed at first, but apparently the winner (1:00:35) is normally a 56 minute man so maybe it was a better run than I originally thought. I'll do a full report when I get home.

Top 10 finish on a tough day at the office sounds like a good run to me. I presume you bagged another PB into the bargain. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great running man and great position. On those tougher courses it is down to position and where you are in relation to others which matters most and sounds like you nailed that race. Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great running in those conditions. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself on your time. Just look at your finishing position. Well done.

Cheers lads.
    You're probably right. I'll have a right go at smashing that time in the right conditions though.

Here's the Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484297153

Heart monitor slipped again after 3.5 miles. I deliberately tightened it this morning too. Never gives me any problems when I'm training, but it's become a hindrance in races. I don't think I'll bother with it for this reason during races any more. I only wear it to check info after as I never check HR during a race.

I signed up for this race in late February as I was keen to set a decent PB at the distance sooner rather than later. It was only after I had sorted all the logistics around it that I heard about a race of the same distance in Clontarf!

Pre-Race

Travelled to Cork yesterday, taking in the horse racing in Mallow on the way down to break up the journey. The less said about that, the better!
    Grabbed some dinner before I got back on the road and arrived at my B&B by about 8pm. Headed to bed after Match of the Day and had a very nice, uninterrupted sleep until 8am. Downed the usual pre-race breakfast of scrambled egg, coffee and a banana before grabbing a quick shower around nine. After a short drive to Clonakilty, I was registered and ready to go with an hour to spare. Wasn't the nicest of mornings, but the driving rain had stopped by now and it was starting to brighten up. It was still very windy though, which made it feel a lot colder than it looked.

Race

I lined up right on the line at the start to avoid any congestion, since I was planning on heading out at quite a decent pace. We were on our way shortly after 11am and I sat on the shoulders of the leaders, moving quite comfortably in 4th for the first half mile. My pre-race target had been sub 63 (6:18min/mile). I noticed I was moving a little quicker (6.00min/mile) than planned at this stage, so decided to ease off as I doubted I could maintain that pace for the entire race. Two guys passed me as I slowed, doing their best to cling onto the back of the leading trio. I was happy with how I was going now, but I could hear another set of footsteps gaining on me. It was about halfway into the second mile when the owner of those feet appeared alongside me and quickly passed me. A guy in a Dunleer AC vest (not RFR, he'd never be behind me at any stage :P). I didn't respond as I was still on 6:20 pace which was where I wanted to be. The Dunleer guy was never far in front but was always going a step quicker than I wanted to, so I wasn't going to try and catch up unless he was still there much later in the race. There seemed to be a big gap behind me (although I never looked) and the race was pretty lonely after this. We passed the two mile marker and seemed to spend the next few miles climbing up and down hills. Each time we passed a marshal they called out encouragement, and at each junction the "Well done, doing great" seemed to be repeated behind me sooner than the last one. Around the time my heart monitor slipped (3.5 miles) I heard the footsteps belonging to the recipient of the comments. He gradually ate into my advantage and passed me at the four mile mark. Again I deliberately didn't put up much resistance, as we were still short of halfway and I needed to keep something to negotiate the remaining hills and fight what felt like a gale force wind. He caught up with Dunleer and they ran together for the next few miles, never too far in front but not close enough that I could catch them without making a big effort. The miles in this middle part of the race were pretty tough. I was virtually running on my own, climbing hills, fighting wind and dodging the odd tractor :). I had lost a bit of ground on the original target and was now satisfied with anything below 65 minutes. We followed a big right handed loop to gradually take us back where we came from, before we rejoined the course we had run in reverse with about two miles left to go. The hills hadn't been too severe, but a bit like Enniscorthy we never seemed to be on the flat (always ascending or descending). However I knew the remaining two miles were more down than up having run them in the opposite direction a little earlier, so intended giving them a real go to get in under the 65 minute mark. I was getting ready to pile everything I had left at the final two miles as we crested the final hill when I was hit by a tremendous wall of wind which I hadn't been expecting. I didn't notice it behind me on the way up because we were climbing and it never really seemed to help. Holding the pace from there until we got past the nine mile marker was very difficult. The course turned left soon after that and the wind disappeared. The relief was instant and I really started to motor. I think I was about 30-40 seconds down now and knew clawing back the time would be almost impossible, but what had I got to lose? I took aim on the guy in 7th (about 300m ahead at this stage) and decided to try run him down. Dunleer had pulled away from him by now and he seemed to be vulnerable. I was eating into his lead as the finish started to near. We came back along the waterfront and I could see the gantry in the distance. I looked at my watch. 9.8 miles, 1:03:59. A minute to cover approx 350 yards. A big ask, but doable. I piled on the pressure and felt like I was all out sprinting at this stage. The gap to 7th was dwindling as we came up to the final turn. I wasn't going to catch him now, but could I still go under 65? I turned the corner to see 1:04:59 on the clock. Knew then I wasn't going to do it then, as there was still a few yards still to cover. 7th was already over the line and by the time I stopped the watch it read 1:05:06. I knew I hadn't done it, but waited on the official result anyway to confirm it.

Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/484297153

Post-race

My immediate reaction was disappointment as I had run 1:25 in the Larne Half-Marathon (6:29min/mile) four weeks ago and should have easily been able to go sub 65 based on that. However I learned afterwards that the winner (1:00:35) was a 56 minute guy, which did make me feel slightly better about my own time. I do feel I am capable of much better in the right conditions though. I seem to be great at picking out races the length & breadth of the country with undulating courses. The only flat race I've run this year was in Seville, although that's going to change in Terenure next month. On the plus side it's the fifth of my six goals for 2014 in the bag and kind of reminds me how much I've improved, as I'd have taken sub 70 in Janaury. Onwards and upwards......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great race Yaboya, thought conditions and 8th place, well done. Definitely some more PB's coming your way over the summer

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Congrats yaboya. Almost comically strange how similar our year has been so far. From readjusted goals right down to just missing our target this weekend.
    That target will get smashed next time I'm sure.

Congrats yaboya. Almost comically strange how similar our year has been so far. From readjusted goals right down to just missing our target this weekend.
    That target will get smashed next time I'm sure.

Yeah....lol. Any chance you're running Berlin in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Yeah....lol. Any chance you're running Berlin in September?

Na staying at home for Dublin. Once you have a sub 3 banged out in Berlin all I'll have to do is turn up come Oct 27th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB in tough conditions, more to come off that by years end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Good running yaboya, sounds like a challenging enough course and not the easiest of days for it. Great to be fighting up near the front.. That was my pacee for the Cork marathon, he's hoping for a sub-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great result yesterday ! Well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Super running yaboya, well done sounds like was tough going.

Good running yaboya, sounds like a challenging enough course and not the easiest of days for it. Great to be fighting up near the front.. That was my pacee for the Cork marathon, he's hoping for a sub-3.

So I'm (almost) keeping good company? :D

Tuesday 22nd April - 45 minutes Easy
    5m @ 9:09p/m average (123bpm avg)

I was going to give myself a rest day today, but ultimately decided that a short recovery run would be more beneficial. I seemed to shake out any residual soreness from yesterday's race and feel quite good now, so I'm hopeful of keeping this week on schedule. I plan to get my two steady sessions (140bpm) done tomorrow & Friday, my long run on Sunday and about an hour of easy running Thursday & Saturday. That should put me back on track after last week's setback.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:52 (123bpm)
    Mile 2 - 9:05 (125bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:12 (125bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:12 (123bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:25 (122bpm)

Wednesday 23rd April - 75 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    9.16m @ 8:11p/m average (139bpm avg)
    Strides: (19:61, 18:63, 17:86, 17:61, 18:64, 16:80, 17:34, 17:24, 17:48, 18:27)

I felt really good ahead of this session. I'm pretty happy with the consistency of the splits despite the fact that they look a bit skewed. Miles 6 & 7 were directly into the wind with long drags up over the railway and canal, which probably contributed to the slightly slower pace. The fact that the last mile is almost identical to the first is pretty pleasing. What does have me a bit confused however, is the overall pace. I was averaging 8:00min/mile at 135bpm a couple of weeks ago, yet today I was slower (8:11min/mile) at a HR five beats higher. I can only assume my heart is being made work harder by the heat coming from the unusual looking ball of fire in the sky that we don't see very often, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:59 (139bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:14 (140bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:10 (140bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:14 (140bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:02 (140bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:29 (140bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:26 (140bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:15 (140bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:57 (140bpm)
    0.16 - 1:17 (140bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

What does have me a bit confused however, is the overall pace. I was averaging 8:00min/mile at 135bpm a couple of weeks ago, yet today I was slower (8:11min/mile) at a HR five beats higher. I can only assume my heart is being made work harder by the heat coming from the unusual looking ball of fire in the sky that we don't see very often, so I won't lose any sleep over it.

I'd say your efforts over a tough course at the weekend were lingering in today's run and probably had some affect. After another few days I'd imagine it'll be back to normal.

Thursday 24th April - 60 minutes Easy
    7.1m @ 8:28p/m average (124bpm avg)

I'm usually hovering around the 9:00min/mile pace for these runs, but the cooler conditions and freshness brought on by an excellent night's sleep meant I was moving much quicker than that. My early miles were matching yesterday's pace (despite a HR fifteen beats lower) and only began to slow due to the drags I encountered on the same route. I was happy to call it quits after an hour (even though I could have continued much longer) in the hope that I'll feel the same tomorrow for the Steady session. I should get a much better indicator of how I'm going if that's the case. I'm also considering giving myself a complete rest day from running on Saturday now which will probably do me good.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:12 (123bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:18 (124bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:08 (124bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:38 (125bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:46 (124bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:48 (125bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:23 (124bpm)
    0.1 - 0:49 (122bpm)

Friday 25th April - 60 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    8m @ 7:43p/m average (139bpm avg)
    Strides: (18:76, 17:95, 17:98, 19:22, 16:78, 17:60, 18:27, 17:92, 17:50, 17:37)

This was much more like what I was expecting on Wednesday. The fact that it was a hot day makes it even more pleasing, as I'd expect to go quicker at this HR when conditions are cooler. I think I've earned my rest day for this week :). I'll either take that tomorrow and do my long run on Sunday, or long run tomorrow and day off Sunday. Whichever suits me best as I've a fair bit going on both days.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:40 (139bpm)
    Mile 2 - 7:58 (140bpm)
    Mile 3 - 7:56 (140bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:47 (140bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:40 (140bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:28 (140bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:37 (140bpm)
    Mile 8 - 7:40 (140bpm)

Sunday 27th April - 120 minutes Easy
    14m @ 8:40p/m average (123bpm avg)

I had a very busy weekend and only barely managed to squeeze this in before midnight. My legs were sore, I was tired and only had my dinner about an hour before I went out, so my preparation was far from ideal. I also felt a little dehydrated and expected this to be quite difficult. As it turns out, it wasn't and the hardest thing I did for the duration of the run was dodging people who had finished the night run on my way down the quays. My pace started to slow in the closing miles which I feel was down to the dehydration. Pretty happy with this though. Solid week of running in the bank :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:34 (121bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:39 (122bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:36 (122bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:40 (122bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:36 (124bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:50 (124bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:38 (123bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:33 (123bpm)
    Mile 9 - 8:35 (123bpm)
    Mile 10 - 8:35 (124bpm)
    Mile 11 - 8:42 (122bpm)
    Mile 12 - 8:41 (123bpm)
    Mile 13 - 8:50 (124bpm)
    Mile 14 - 9:00 (125bpm)

Monday 28th April - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 8:36p/m average (122bpm avg)

Still a bit stiff from last night's run, but thought it best to get this done ahead of tomorrow's steady session as a means of loosening me up. Took it nice and handy, keeping the HR even lower than normal for these type of runs. One thing I notice about this style of training is the lack of fatigue. I can pretty much train seven days a week if I want to, whereas when I was following P&D in the lead up to the marathon I really did need my rest days.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:33 (119bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:27 (124bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:24 (122bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:33 (122bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:36 (123bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:45 (124bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:51 (124bpm)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

One thing I notice about this style of training is the lack of fatigue. I can pretty much train seven days a week if I want to, whereas when I was following P&D in the lead up to the marathon I really did need my rest days.

obviously we are running at totally different paces but I agree with you that when running to such low hr efforts, 7 days a week training is no problem whatsoever and even throwing in the odd double places so little stress on the body. Even though I'm not using the monitor now, I know my inherent easy paces so well from wearing the strap for a year that I really know what 'easy' should mean. It's a fantastic training aid from that point of view.

Ososlo wrote: »
    obviously we are running at totally different paces but I agree with you that when running to such low hr efforts, 7 days a week training is no problem whatsoever and even throwing in the odd double places so little stress on the body. Even though I'm not using the monitor now, I know my inherent easy paces so well from wearing the strap for a year that I really know what 'easy' should mean. It's a fantastic training aid from that point of view.

Yeah, it's the effort that stresses you. So once you're running at your easy HR (whatever pace that may be) you can run an awful lot of miles, because by keeping the heart rate consistent you will slow before you start stressing the body rather than holding the pace and watching the heart rate creeping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Yeah, it's the effort that stresses you. So once you're running at your easy HR (whatever pace that may be) you can run an awful lot of miles, because by keeping the heart rate consistent you will slow before you start stressing the body rather than holding the pace and watching the heart rate creeping up.
    Totally. That's what some people just don't get...

You'll be doing Krusty mileage before ya know it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

totally agree, I can do double days very easily now once I stay below < 75% HR MAX.

Tuesday 29th April - 75 minutes Steady (preceded by 10 x 100m Strides)
    10m @ 7:57p/m average (140bpm avg)
    Strides: (18:03, 19:27, 18:42, 17:25, 17:31, 16:36, 17:56, 18:24, 15:99, 17:24)

The average pace is a bit slower than Friday, but I'm pretty sure that's down to the heat which I won't complain about. Splits are fairly consistent apart from the first mile which was largely in the shade.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:37 (138bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:12 (140bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:05 (140bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:59 (139bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:56 (140bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:56 (140bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:56 (140bpm)
    Mile 8 - 7:54 (141bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:59 (140bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:52 (142bpm)

Wednesday 30th April - 75 minutes Easy
    8.52m @ 8:49p/m average (134bpm avg)

I had a bit of company for the majority of this workout. The boards 'running slut' :pac: joined me, as we got a few easy miles in ahead of his assault on Limerick this Sunday. I pretty much ignored the pace/heart rate the whole time, but noticed afterwards that the HR was a fair bit higher than my usual (125bpm) for this type of run. I imagine that's because I was working harder due to talking the entire time. TbL probably has sore ears now! The splits are a bit uneven, but we were running uphill/downhill, sun/shade etc. which probably explains that. I never felt like I was pushing at any stage and the time did go by much quicker than it does when I'm on my own.
    Thanks Tbl. Good luck on Sunday :)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:44 (122bpm)
    Mile 2 - 9:02 (125bpm)
    Mile 3 - 9:19 (135bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:34 (145bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:40 (142bpm)
    Mile 6 - 9:16 (136bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:47 (136bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:17 (138bpm)
    0.52 - 4:25 (137bpm)

• Advertisement

Since today is the last day of April, I've been looking ahead to next month and how best to go about achieving my goals. As I mentioned to TbL, I'm getting fed up racing on tough courses & running times that 'would have been quicker' on a more favourable course. I just want to find one of those easier courses and run the faster time.

So here's the plan for May:

May 5th - Tubber 10k (Target: Sub 38)
    May 18th - Terenure 5 Mile (Target - Sub 30)
    May 31st - St Anne's parkrun (Target - Sub 18)

Tubber is situated near Clara in the boglands, so must surely be flat. It's definitely on the roads but isn't chip timed, so I'll need to line up near the front. Still, not bad for €10!

I love the Terenure 5 Mile. Very flat, fast course. I shouldn't have any excuses that day.

St Anne's is the fastest parkrun I know of. If I can't go sub 18 there, I doubt I'll do it anywhere else.

After that I need to find a half-marathon somewhere. Sub 1:23 will be my target for that. I was originally considering Cork, but it's far too expensive and having to collect the number etc. the day before is also a major inconvenience for me. There are a few very cheap one's up the North, but again they all seem to take place on tough undulating courses. I'll keep an eye out, but for the moment I'll worry about the three I've listed above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Portumna HM is flat. 14th Jun

Portumna HM is flat. 14th Jun

Golfing that day at the moment.
    I might have to change that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

So here's the plan for May:

May 5th - Tubber 10k (Target: Sub 38)
    May 18th - Terenure 5 Mile (Target - Sub 30)
    May 31st - St Anne's parkrun (Target - Sub 18)

After that I need to find a half-marathon somewhere. Sub 1:23 will be my target for that. I was originally considering Cork, but it's far too expensive and having to collect the number etc. the day before is also a major inconvenience for me. There are a few very cheap one's up the North, but again they all seem to take place on tough undulating courses. I'll keep an eye out, but for the moment I'll worry about the three I've listed above.

Super super goals (I hope I can keep pace with them ;) ).
    There's a HM in Portarlington in July- I'm considering it as well. It's part of the Marathos Des Escargots.

Super super goals (I hope I can keep pace with them ;) ).
    There's a HM in Portarlington in July- I'm considering it as well. It's part of the Marathos Des Escargots.

So do I.
    They are probably pretty aggressive targets, but I'm hopeful I can hit them.
    I'd say Portumna is more likely for me than Portarlington. Two Captain's Prizes in the golf that weekend. Definitely can't miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

P, do some research before commiting to Portumna if you're going for a PB, it's a looped course around a forest trail (good surface) but the course is narrow in places. It will be full of slower (a lot) runners doing the 100k, 50k and marathon.

TbL

Thursday 1st May - Rest/Foam Rolling

I was going to get a few easy miles in before work, but I was fairly tired and both my calves were pretty tight. So instead I opted for an extra hour in bed and a bit of foam rolling. Feeling a bit looser now and looking forward to tomorrow's steady session. I'll probably throw in a few easy miles on Saturday before resting up on Sunday ahead of the 10k race on Monday.

P, do some research before commiting to Portumna if you're going for a PB, it's a looped course around a forest trail (good surface) but the course is narrow in places. It will be full of slower (a lot) runners doing the 100k, 50k and marathon.

TbL

I'm just looking at it now and it seems the half-marathon starts at 9am, well before the full gets under way. Although I think the 100k & 50k start earlier. Route looks favourable, even though I'm not a big fan of doing laps. I'll definitely consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's with the soft 10k target??!!!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's with the soft 10k target??!!!!

Seriously? You think that's soft?
    It's 70 seconds off my current PB which I thought was quite a lot.
    I guess we'll find out who's right on Monday.
    If it's you, what target do you suggest?

Seriously? You think that's soft?
    It's 70 seconds off my current PB which I thought was quite a lot.
    I guess we'll find out who's right on Monday.
    If it's you, what target do you suggest?

IMO you should be looking at <37 mins if you run it properly

Gavlor wrote: »
    IMO you should be looking at <37 mins if you run it properly

Ok. I'll take that as a compliment.
    If I hit 36:xx, maybe you should start coaching....:)

Ok. I'll take that as a compliment.
    If I hit 36:xx, maybe you should start coaching....:)

Haha!

Sure why not go out and give it a lash? What have you got to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

5:57 pace should get you just under 37 - depending on the line you run.

If your hoping for a sub 30 5 miler, then its only an extra mile and a bit :)

We'll see.
    An extra mile and a bit is a lot when you've nothing left though :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement