Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

statss wrote: »
    what's the story man, will you be sticking to HADD through to your next marathon cycle, are you doing Dublin?

Think I'm going to go with ger664's advice. Continue with the HADD stuff until 6 weeks out and jump into the P&D 55-70 plan at the race preparation stage. I'm running in Berlin (13.5 weeks) & Dublin (17.5 weeks). Hoping to get a 150bpm Steady Session in before the end of this week.

Thursday 26th June - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    11m @ 6:52p/m average (150bpm avg)
    Strides: (17:82, 17:84, 18:62, 18:26, 18:38, 17:84, 18:38, 17:36, 18:29, 18:61)

This was my first Steady session at 150bpm. I was going to leave it at 60 minutes if I was struggling, but yet again I felt better as the run progressed and decided to see out the full 75. You can see the pace starts to drop after the first four miles which proves there's plenty of work to be done here. Encouraging signs nonetheless and all before 7:30am :D
    I did the strides afterwards this time and although I was told not to bother timing them, I thought why change the habit of a lifetime?? :pac:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:34 (147bpm)
    Mile 2 - 6:33 (151bpm)
    Mile 3 - 6:28 (153bpm)
    Mile 4 - 6:41 (152bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:01 (152bpm)
    Mile 6 - 6:57 (151bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:03 (151bpm)
    Mile 8 - 6:58 (151bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:08 (151bpm)
    Mile 10 - 6:59 (150bpm)
    Mile 11 - 7:04 (151bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice running at that hour Yaboya01 - you're really starting to motor along now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Thursday 26th June - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    11m @ 6:52p/m average (150bpm avg)
    Strides: (17:82, 17:84, 18:62, 18:26, 18:38, 17:84, 18:38, 17:36, 18:29, 18:61)

This was my first Steady session at 150bpm. I was going to leave it at 60 minutes if I was struggling, but yet again I felt better as the run progressed and decided to see out the full 75. You can see the pace starts to drop after the first four miles which proves there's plenty of work to be done here. Encouraging signs nonetheless and all before 7:30am :D
    I did the strides afterwards this time and although I was told not to bother timing them, I thought why change the habit of a lifetime?? :pac:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:34 (147bpm)
    Mile 2 - 6:33 (151bpm)
    Mile 3 - 6:28 (153bpm)
    Mile 4 - 6:41 (152bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:01 (152bpm)
    Mile 6 - 6:57 (151bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:03 (151bpm)
    Mile 8 - 6:58 (151bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:08 (151bpm)
    Mile 10 - 6:59 (150bpm)
    Mile 11 - 7:04 (151bpm)

Holy Sh*te, Batman.....I think I will have to stop following your log. I am not sure I can take reading about how you are knocking these sessions out day after day:p

Great work, P. Keep it up.

..........IMHO, I think you have also done some great training on the beer front for the weekend ahead so a sneaky Northside win in the Beer Mile would not be beyond you;) Our hopes and dreams are with you. No pressure:D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Holy Sh*te, Batman.....I think I will have to stop following your log. I am not sure I can take reading about how you are knocking these sessions out day after day:p

Great work, P. Keep it up.

..........IMHO, I think you have also done some great training on the beer front for the weekend ahead so a sneaky Northside win in the Beer Mile would not be beyond you;) Our hopes and dreams are with you. No pressure:D

Thanks for the support, but I'm really a Southsider living on the Northside :D
    I've drank and run before, but never at the same time. Would be very surprised if I was competitive but it's all about the taking part, right?

Thanks for the support, but I'm really a Southsider living on the Northside :D
    I've drank and run before, but never at the same time. Would be very surprised if I was competitive but it's all about the taking part, right?

Yeah right, taking part that's what it is all about!!!

Jaysus I will have to check out the rest of the crew and see how DNS is represented. Actually, I think TBB is entered and he is the real deal born and breed. I will move my money to him so.......but if do you win we might claim you:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yeah right, taking part that's what it is all about!!!

Jaysus I will have to check out the rest of the crew and see how DNS is represented. Actually, I think TBB is entered and he is the real deal born and breed. I will move my money to him so.......but if do you win we might claim you:P

...but where does he live now? Was counting down the days until he could leave the place I reckon:P

Friday 27th June - 60 minutes Easy
    7.19m @ 8:21/m average (121bpm avg)

A nice dawn jog in the sunshine. I've now run more than 80 miles in the past 8 days. Considering I was working long shifts on seven of those, I'm pretty proud of myself :)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:32 (112bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:20 (123bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:14 (120bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:01 (125bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:23 (124bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:32 (122bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:24 (124bpm)
    0.19 - 1:38 (124bpm)

...but where does he live now? Was counting down the days until he could leave the place I reckon:P

.....home is where the heart is or are you cheering for the Boys in Blue these days:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

.....home is where the heart is or are you cheering for the Boys in Blue these days:D:D

Well yes, the boys I cheer wear mainly blue but its the line of gold across the chest that sets them apart from the rest. ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday 28th June - 165 minutes Easy
    19.06m @ 8:40/m average (131bpm avg)

Dragged myself out of bed after a late night to get this one in this morning. I've another late night ahead tonight, as well as a round of golf tomorrow afternoon, so I might have struggled to fit it around those if I put it off today. I kept the heart rate around 130 for most of the run, but it rose in miles 13 & 14 as I was working hard straight into the breeze along the beach. I felt the HRM slip in Mile 15, and although the heart rate was in the mid 130's there was no way it was hitting some if the numbers that were showing on the screen After that, I paid little attention the the HR and just made sure not to let the miles go above nine minutes. I'm happy with the workout. I'll have run over 100 miles in the past nine days once I complete in the beer mile later this evening :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:28 (119bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:27 (127bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:25 (126bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:33 (128bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:25 (128bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:43 (127bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:37 (129bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:48 (129bpm)
    Mile 9 - 8:35 (128bpm)
    Mile 10 - 8:27 (130bpm)
    Mile 11 - 8:46 (129bpm)
    Mile 12 - 8:51 (131bpm)
    Mile 13 - 8:53 (132bpm)
    Mile 14 - 8:55 (139bpm)
    Mile 15 - 8:43 (136bpm)
    Mile 16 - 8:48 (137bpm)
    Mile 17 - 8:37 (140bpm)
    Mile 18 - 8:46 (142bpm)
    Mile 19 - 8:44 (144bpm)
    0.06 - 0:32 (142bpm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Judging by your recent training and drinking sessions you could be a good EW bet for the beer mile this evening. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

ger664 wrote: »
    Judging by your recent training and drinking sessions you could be a good EW bet for the beer mile this evening. :)

After a 19 miler in the morning! Easy or not. Good running on a very different approach to mine. Will follow with interest.

ger664 wrote: »

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I didn't expect to be competitive and was proved right in no uncertain terms!
    Itziger wrote: »
    After a 19 miler in the morning! Easy or not. Good running on a very different approach to mine. Will follow with interest.

Yeah, the 19 miler wouldn't have helped, but I was never going to be challenging in this field anyway. I'll hopefully be back to try and improve next year.

Saturday 28th June (P.M.) - Irish Beer Mile Championship

11:30 (11th place)

My first time to take part in a national championship event :pac:

Prelude

I knew when I decided to run this race that I was going to be up against it. I had zero experience myself in this type of contest, and was in amongst a field of experienced beer milers who were way faster than me anyway. The result was inevitable and I was completely found out for what I was (a very, very average beer miler).

Pre-Race

I only bought my beers on the day of the race as I never got a chance to get to an off licence midweek. This led to me acquiring a stronger beer than required and one not ideally suited to beer miling. I ran my 19 mile LSR on Saturday morning which wasn't ideal preparation either. Going into the race I decided I'd be happy to complete without puking. Time was irrelevant. I wasn't going to push myself too hard either, as it was on this exact weekend last year that I tore a calf muscle when training for Chicago in similar circumstances (running too fast after a week of high mileage). That wasn't going to happen again! I would use tonight as a learning experience and hope to improve significantly on my result next year. I brought the Garmin and turned off the Auto-Lap with the intention of measuring the splits for each beer/lap. The problem was when the gun went off I completely forgot to start it and only remembered towards the end of the first lap when it was far too late.

The Race

Emer911 gave us the shout and we were off. Opened the first beer and downed it reasonably quickly. It was a tasty beer alright, but one that you should be enjoying for hours in a beer garden rather than chugging four of them in ten minutes. I set off with the rest of the field and the first lap wasn't too bad with the field relatively close together. Not too gassy and feeling ok. End of lap one and time for the second beer. This is where the old beer miling pros showed their experience. I took a fair while to get the second one down. The gassy/bloaty feeling in your stomach when you're chugging just can't be described (or seen on camera). Really slows you down. I guess this is where all the training pays off, as the guys who'd been practicing had all set off again well ahead of me. I was given a split of 2:12 when I finally got going for lap two, which I didn't think was too bad considering it was my debut. It was to get much tougher after this. I have no idea how long I was taking to run the laps, but I was afraid to speed up for fear of making myself sick. The whole duration of the loop was spent trying to dispose of the gas in my stomach from both ends. It's quite a skill to master, especially when you're trying to go as fast as you can :pac:. Halfway through now and this is where the beer started to taste really bad. I felt like I took forever to swallow the third can. TRR, dublin runner and Krusty all came and went onto their last lap while I was struggling with this one. I was given a split of 6:xx when I eventually took off and could see TRR was motoring to a second successive victory, having put in a huge spurt down the back straight. DogSlySmile & KU lapped me here as well and I got to watch their duel for 4th from behind, although I couldn't see who got the verdict from my viewpoint. I followed them down the straight at a far slower pace and prepared to drink the most disgusting can of my life. You can hear Emer laughing on the video as she says I look like I'm enjoying it, while having to witness my contorting facial expressions. Got the last bit of froth down my throat and headed out on my final lap. I knew I would achieve my goal now once I didn't push too hard. Menoscemo was too far ahead to catch for 10th and Chickenballs too far behind to catch me, so I ran along at a safe enough pace to make sure the beer stayed in my stomach. When I finally crossed the line I thought I'd run 10:30 (which I was delighted with), until Meno cruelly informed me that there was no way I ran that time as he had been over 11 minutes. Obviously he was right (as he always is) and 11:30 was my officially ratified IAAF time :D. I'm happy enough with that for my debut (it just looked terrible in such a high class field) and hope to learn a few lessons from it so I can improve next year.

Verdict

I ran this because it looked like so much fun from last year's video. We got much kinder weather tonight and the whole night was very enjoyable, although the beers afterwards tasted far nicer than the one's during the race. Some of the times there are seriously impressive. It's only when you attempt this event yourself that you truly appreciate how good the guys at the top end of the field actually are. I'll definitely be back next year, but won't make the mistake of failing to prepare properly again. I think my long range target will be to at least break ten minutes.

Sunday 29th June - Rest

Had a lie-in and played golf in the afternoon. Nice way to get over the previous day's exertions, especially in the gorgeous weather we're having at the moment.

Monday 30th June - 45 minutes Recovery
    5.16m @ 8:43/m average (118bpm avg)

A pretty effortless run to loosen out the legs ahead of my Steady session tomorrow. The legs felt incredibly fresh and I barely broke sweat. Amazing what a day off and a couple of lie-ins can do for you!
    I don't have the splits as I turned off the Auto-Lap the other night and forgot to switch it back on before I went out tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great race and great report. You really gave a feeling for what it must be like to experience running this race. Well done for not puking. No mean feat. Can't believe nobody did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I just lobbed your time time into the McMillan Calculator there. The result? 2.54.59 :)

You are sorted. Must meet up for a run sometime. Keep up the excellent work.

I just lobbed your time time into the McMillan Calculator there. The result? 2.54.59 :)

You are sorted. Must meet up for a run sometime. Keep up the excellent work.

You must have the advanced version. I can't find 'beer mile' on my website :D

Tuesday 1st July - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    10.5m @ 7:08p/m average (150bpm avg)
    Strides: (20:62, 18:48, 19:44, 19:14, 19:04, 23:92, 17:90, 20:13, 21:37, 20:38)

Ok, firstly I think this is the last time I'll bother recording the time of the strides (as I've already been advised). For different reasons I was forced to pull up early (motor/human traffic) on a number of them and I suppose it doesn't really matter if they're 60/90/100/120m long.
    I originally intended to do this run very early this morning or late this evening to avoid the sun/heat, but because I was enjoying my sleep and really don't want to miss any of the football/tennis later I opted to go out and get it over with around 10am. This type of training is designed to get you accustomed to running at certain heart rates, so I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway as the splits are less important than the effort. They ended up being slower than I would have liked but you can see the effect the sun had as I ran my first mile at 6:30 (142bpm) in the shade, yet was as slow as 7:29 (151bpm) towards the end. It's another session at the required HR in the bank and one positive I'm taking from it is how slow the seven minute miles seemed. Considering my MP is not likely to be a whole lot faster than that, it was quite a nice feeling.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:30 (142bpm)
    Mile 2 - 6:44 (152bpm)
    Mile 3 - 7:03 (152bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:03 (151bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:02 (151bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:17 (151bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:17 (150bpm)
    Mile 8 - 7:23 (153bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:28 (149bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:20 (151bpm)
    0.5 - 3:49 (152bpm)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 2nd July - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 8:34/m average (119bpm avg)

Some easy early morning miles before work. The whole body was sore yesterday evening and I hoped that would disappear after the run today, but the muscles still feel pretty weak and the back is a bit sore too. I might take tomorrow off if I haven't fully recovered by then.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:38 (111bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:26 (118bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:28 (119bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:40 (122bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:36 (122bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:34 (124bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:34 (124bpm)

Just threw together a quick table to summarise the first six months of my year:

Month|Mileage
    January|229
    February|151
    March|166
    April|201
    May|160
    June|230

Total Mileage to 30th June: 1,137

This is by far the most miles I've ever run in a year (still 6 months to go :)). I also feel there's much more structure to my running and I continue to gradually improve with each race I run. In saying that I've begun to neglect my core work recently as I've upped my mileage. I plan to rectify this as soon as possible as I realise it's important and did at least one session a week until about a month ago (not sure how I got out of the habit). I'm looking forward to what the rest of 2014 brings, where hopefully my training will give me the results I want in my goal races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Very impressive progress this year and sensible training, you're going to run a fine marathon no doubt. I would advise to definitely make time for some core work, I try get at least 2 sessions in a week along with upper body weight work and find I finish that little bit stronger at the end of races (and training sessions for that matter) where normally your upper body starts to tire and form would more resemble a broken rag-doll rather than a gallant athlete :)

Thursday 3rd July - 75 minutes Easy
    8.41m @ 8:55/m average (125bpm avg)

Don't know what was up with me tonight. Was sweating profusely from the first mile and had to drop the pace significantly to keep the HR in the mid 120's. I haven't got any explanation.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:35 (122bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:43 (124bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:54 (125bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:03 (125bpm)
    Mile 5 - 9:15 (126bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:59 (126bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:32 (126bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:55 (127bpm)
    0.41 - 4:07 (126bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Thursday 3rd July - 75 minutes Easy
    8.41m @ 8:55/m average (125bpm avg)

Don't know what was up with me tonight. Was sweating profusely from the first mile and had to drop the pace significantly to keep the HR in the mid 120's. I haven't got any explanation.

Probably just the weather. It's really humid out there last few days. I'm glad my hr monitor is bust cos I'd say the figures aren't pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

agreed - I found it very muggy out there tonight

• Advertisement

Friday 4th July - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    10.11m @ 7:25p/m average (151bpm avg)

To say this run has left me baffled would be an understatement. The first four miles went pretty much to plan, before the pace started to plummet for the remainder of the workout. It was a little bit windy outside, but that doesn't explain much as the first four miles were all in different directions and they weren't affected. Some of the splits are more than a minute slower than the first mile. Ridiculous!
    Due to a very busy weekend coming up, I'm going to be forced to take a couple of days off running. Judging by my runs the last two days, that's probably not a bad thing. The rest might do me good and it won't get in the way of watching the World Cup :).
    I did do the strides at the end, but didn't time them.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:45 (143bpm)
    Mile 2 - 6:58 (153bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:04 (153bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:19 (153bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:38 (152bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:39 (151bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:00 (151bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:43 (152bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:57 (152bpm)
    0.11 - 0:55 (150bpm)

Friday 4th July - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    10.11m @ 7:25p/m average (151bpm avg)

To say this run has left me baffled would bean understatement. The first four miles went pretty much to plan, before the pace started to plummet for the remainder of the workout. It was a little bit windy outside, but that doesn't explain much as the first four miles were all in different directions and they weren't affected. Some of the splits are more than a minute slower than the first mile. Ridiculous!
    Due to a very busy weekend coming up, I'm going to be forced to take a couple of days off running. Judging by my runs the last two days, that's probably not a bad thing. The rest might do me good and it won't get in the way of watching the World Cup :).
    I did do the strides at the end, but didn't time them.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:45 (143bpm)
    Mile 2 - 6:58 (153bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:04 (153bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:19 (153bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:38 (152bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:39 (151bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:00 (151bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:43 (152bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:57 (152bpm)
    0.11 - 0:55 (150bpm)

Without knowing much about training by heart rate, could it simply be a case of starting out too fast? In other words (!), does the 'fast' first mile have a knock on effect on your heart rate later on in the run and therefore give you a higher rate in the latter miles?

Without knowing much about training by heart rate, could it simply be a case of starting out too fast? In other words (!), does the 'fast' first mile have a knock on effect on your heart rate later on in the run and therefore give you a higher rate in the latter miles?

You could be right. I've been trying to gradually wind it up without going too slow if you know what I mean? I've struggled to hit 150bpm in my first mile most times but it is something I'll bear in mind for next time. Thanks ;)

You could be right. I've been trying to gradually wind it up without going too slow if you know what I mean? I've struggled to hit 150bpm in my first mile most times but it is something I'll bear in mind for next time. Thanks ;)

Might be something worth thinking about but to be honest, I am only guessing when it comes to heart rate! I am sure someone else might be able to shed some more light on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Might be something worth thinking about but to be honest, I am only guessing when it comes to heart rate! I am sure someone else might be able to shed some more light on it.

You are right.

To be honest you should not be getting up to your zone ranges until nearly the end of the first mile. Best bet is to not look at the HR for atleast 5 min into a run and from there adjusting the pace according (erring on the slow side)

Learned that the hard way doing AnT sessions when I was younger

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    You are right.

To be honest you should not be getting up to your zone ranges until nearly the end of the mile. Best bet is to not look at the HR for atleast 5 min into a run and from there adjusting the pace according (erring on the slow side)

Learned that the hard way doing AnT sessions when I was younger

Ok this has put my mind at ease for the moment. I'll give this session another go on Monday and worry about sticking to the pace (7:05 approx) rather than the HR in the first three quarters of a mile. I'll adjust accordingly when it's settled down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

or just run the first mile very easy, not looking at either pace or heart rate, and start running to data when you're warmed up

RayCun wrote: »
    or just run the first mile very easy, not looking at either pace or heart rate, and start running to data when you're warmed up

This is probably not a bad idea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Have a quick look at your HR graph in Garmin/Strava or what ever you use, you will see it take awhile for your HR to climb and settle. For me it can be anything from 500 to 800meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

+1 with Ray here. Although I know nothing about running based on heart rate, I would never put any effort into the pace on the first mile of a run. Even in a (longer) race, I would take it fairly easy on the first mile, before easing my way down to goal pace.

viperlogic wrote: »
    Have a quick look at your HR graph in Garmin/Strava or what ever you use, you will see it take awhile for your HR to climb and settle. For me it can be anything from 500 to 800meters.
    +1 with Ray here. Although I know nothing about running based on heart rate, I would never put any effort into the pace on the first mile of a run. Even in a (longer) race, I would take it fairly easy on the first mile, before easing my way down to goal pace.

Yes, point taken. I think I have grossly underestimated the importance of the warm up.

Thanks for all the replies ;)

So, my two days off running have given me some time to think (dangerous I know :eek:). I have found races the best way of judging my progress in the last few months so have come up with the following plan:

July 20th - Fingal 10k
    July 27th - Mullingar 10 Mile
    August 24th - Longford Half-Marathon

These would give me the opportunity to hit my goals at each distance and also provide a barometer of whereabouts I am with my running going into Berlin.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

So, my two days off running have given me some time to think (dangerous I know :eek:). I have found races the best way of judging my progress in the last few months so have come up with the following plan:

July 20th - Fingal 10k
    July 27th - Mullingar 10 Mile
    August 24th - Longford Half-Marathon

These would give me the opportunity to hit my goals at each distance and also provide a barometer of whereabouts I am with my running going into Berlin.
    Any thoughts?

Similar race schedule to what I'm planning in the run up to berlin. I'm missing the 10k but do plan to do the mullingar 10 mile and the Tullamore half( week after Longford. Should give a good indication of what race pace is achievable in Berlin.

Terry049 wrote: »
    Similar race schedule to what I'm planning in the run up to berlin. I'm missing the 10k but do plan to do the mullingar 10 mile and the Tullamore half( week after Longford. Should give a good indication of what race pace is achievable in Berlin.

Hi Terry,
    What sort of time do you think you'll be targeting in Berlin? We seem to have a fair crew from here going over.

Hi Terry,
    What sort of time do you think you'll be targeting in Berlin? We seem to have a fair crew from here going over.

Hi Yaboya,

I hope to go under 3 hrs, hopefully closer to 2:50. Will see how the 10 & half goes. Goal for them would be 58:30 and 1:18:30. How about yourself? Yeah there does seem to be a good number going over. Looking forward to a few drinks after the race is done. Not drinking till then!! Good luck in the 10k, meant to be though enought course?

• Advertisement

Hi Yaboya,

I hope to go under 3 hrs, hopefully closer to 2:50. Will see how the 10 & half goes. Goal for them would be 58:30 and 1:18:30. How about yourself? Yeah there does seem to be a good number going over. Looking forward to a few drinks after the race is done. Not drinking till then!! Good luck in the 10k, meant to be though enought course?

Hoping to break the three hour barrier myself. How much by will depend on my training. Immediate goals are sub 37 (10k), sub 62 (10m) and sub 1:23 (half). We'll definitely be downing some 'bier' afterwards whatever the results. Not sure if the boards pub has been decided yet. Don't know much about the Fingal course. Any of the other races I've done in the series have always been in the Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice solid schedule, might bump into you at the Mullingar 10.

Hoping to break the three hour barrier myself. How much by will depend on my training. Immediate goals are sub 37 (10k), sub 62 (10m) and sub 1:23 (half). We'll definitely be downing some 'bier' afterwards whatever the results. Not sure if the boards pub has been decided yet. Don't know much about the Fingal course. Any of the other races I've done in the series have always been in the Park.

I have seen the Oscar Wilde pub being mentioned is previous yrs berlin thrends.....

I have seen the Oscar Wilde pub being mentioned is previous yrs berlin thrends.....

I might be in the gutter after a couple of hours alright......

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice solid schedule, might bump into you at the Mullingar 10.

Might do alright. I'll confirm if I'm running for definite that week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You'll smash 3, P.

I'll see you at the Longford half, well at the start anyway!

TbL

Monday 7th July - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    11m @ 7:05p/m average (150bpm avg)

So I took on board the advice of dublin runner, ecoli, Raycun & RFR about taking it easy at first before getting stuck into this session. Sometimes the hardest thing to work out is what's staring you straight in the face! After this run I feel like a real idiot, as it's blindingly obvious from the results that the lack of a warm up mile previously was most definitely the cause of my problems. Anyway, the results speak for themselves and although I've been f***ing up my recent sessions I still seem to have mastered this heart rate, as it wasn't rising and I didn't need to slow. The only reason miles 9 & 10 aren't as quick is because of the wind. Mile 11 is back bang on the average. I never felt like I was working hard at any stage and could have easily continued. I'm still going to give this HR another bash later in the week though, just to be sure. I threw the strides in during the 1.5 mile cool down. Total of 13.5 miles for the day. Delighted with that.

Splits:

Warm up mile - 8:27 (142bpm)

Mile 1 - 7:06 (148bpm)
    Mile 2 - 7:05 (150bpm)
    Mile 3 - 6:56 (151bpm)
    Mile 4 - 7:04 (151bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:01 (151bpm)
    Mile 6 - 7:03 (151bpm)
    Mile 7 - 7:05 (152bpm)
    Mile 8 - 7:08 (151bpm)
    Mile 9 - 7:13 (151bpm)
    Mile 10 - 7:13 (152bpm)
    Mile 11 - 7:06 (152bpm)

1.5 mile cool down (inc strides) - 10:43 (156bpm)

Splits:

Great stuff, very consistent. Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Monday 7th July - 75 minutes Steady (followed by 10 x 100m Strides)
    11m @ 7:05p/m average (150bpm avg)

So I took on board the advice of dublin runner, ecoli, Raycun & RFR about taking it easy at first before getting stuck into this session. Sometimes the hardest thing to work out is what's staring you straight in the face! After this run I feel like a real idiot, as it's blindingly obvious from the results that the lack of a warm up mile previously was most definitely the cause of my problems. Anyway, the results speak for themselves and although I've been f***ing up my recent sessions I still seem to have mastered this heart rate, as it wasn't rising and I didn't need to slow. The only reason miles 9 & 10 aren't as quick is because of the wind. Mile 11 is back bang on the average. I never felt like I was working hard at any stage and could have easily continued. I'm still going to give this HR another bash later in the week though, just to be sure. I threw the strides in during the 1.5 mile cool down. Total of 13.5 miles for the day. Delighted with that.

Splits:

nice splits - do you still have another level up to master, 160BPM, that would be the last one yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

That's a fantastic session.

Advertisement