Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Savage running. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Great running, P. Another excellent PB. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Superb running and savage PB, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I've been gradually chipping away at my PB's over shorter distances, hoping that I can get them into line with a 2:55 marathon based on McMillan. I had already done this recntly at 5k & 5 miles. This was the next logical step.

Pre-race

Although I was keen to record a significant PB here, I didn't want it to impact on my marathon training. So I reshuffled my week as best I could to fit 50+ miles in, while at the same time trying to leave myself relatively fresh for this morning's race. I think it worked out quite well as I felt in good shape when I left for Swords this morning after some porridge, a bagel, a banana and a mug of coffee. I parked the car out at Airside and gave myself a mile jog down to the start to warm up. I noticed the long drag we would face in the first km on the way down :eek:. Got there well ahead of time, allowing time for some stretching and a chat with RedRunner, belcarra & Roisín (who I found out afterwards won the match between herself & belcarra :pac:). An opportunistic photographer pounced on his chance for a group shot, catching us all looking a lot fresher than we would be in an hour or so. Still time for a quick pit stop in the portaloo, before I headed into Wave 1 (sub 50). I pushed up near the front until I was happy with my starting position. Target was anything in the 37:xx's, but I really hoped I could manage sub 37 which I knew would be difficult, but doable. 10:00am on the dot and we were off.

The Race

Didn't have to do a lot of weaving around people due to my starting position, but as usual you'll always find a few in front of you who've no business being there. Anyway by the time we'd covered 500m, I was happy with where I was and was comfortably holding the pace. I needed splits of 3:42p/km to hit 37, so I had that in my mind although I knew I'd have a few above/below depending on the terrain and was happy enough not to be above 3:50min/km at any time as I knew I could make up small differences like that in the faster parts of the course. Happy to go through this km in 3:44.

Out onto the main dual carriageway now and the course starts to move downhill. I knew I'd probably make back the few seconds I had lost in the first km straight away. About 300/400m ahead In picked out a tall guy in an MSB vest. I thought this was AMK and at that stage didn't think I'd even get close to him as he looked to be cruising at that pace. 3:40 split for this kilometre.

Pretty similar to the second km here. Still moving up the dual carriageway on relatively flat terrain. Noticed I was starting to pass a few runners here despite just holding a consistent pace. Another 3:40 here.

More of the same here. Seemed pretty flat and the Garmin data says similar, but I dropped five seconds. Maybe I got complacent? Never felt like it as I was still making up a few positions. 3:45.

We took a left turn off the main road and headed into the countryside. The course definitely takes a climb in this part of the race. Again I dropped a few seconds (3:48), but was still passing/gaining on runners ahead of me.

Another 3:48. The previous kilometre and this one were my joint two slowest splits of the race. I definitely felt like I was working harder than I had been up to then, even though I was going slower. Tried to keep positive, telling myself that we would have to descend these climbs at some stage. I looked at the watch as we passed 6.8k. 26:00, I had 11 minutes to cover the last two miles. Difficult, but doable. The MSB vest who had been way ahead of me (who I thought was AMK) was now within 10 metres.

I moved up alongside the MSB vest. He looked at me and I looked back. He looked different to the AMK I remembered from the boards beers, but that had been a while ago. We both said hello before I put on a little spurt down the little fall we came upon, hoping to make up a few of the seconds I had lost in the previous kilometres. Caught a little group ahead and passed them too. I probably looked like I was motoring but I was definitely feeling it at this stage. 3:39 split here. I knew the sub 37 was still on.

Most of this km was slightly downhill, but right at the end it starts to climb again. My pace slowed slightly from something in the 3:30's to 3:41. I could have sped up, but I knew I needed to save a little bit for the last section having read about the tough finish on here. It was all true! :eek:

The climb continued here and the mental agony of seeing people running to the right ahead of you knowing you need to take a left turn to get there (a bit like when you look left at the finish in the DCM, before having to turn right down Westland Row). Soul destroying! Got through it in 3:42. No damage done.

I knew I needed something in the 3:30's here to achieve the sub 37. I'd no idea exactly what, but it didn't matter as I was going to push as hard as I could anyway. Then as I came around the winding bend it hit me. A headwind. Further round the bend and a hill appears. I'm piling everything I've got left on, but a glance at the watch tells me I'm only moving at 3:50min/km. Speed up! I couldn't. The hill seemed endless and the breeze was relentless. Threw the kitchen sink at it. Crested the hill and moved down into the little valley just before the finish. As I started to move back up the hill again to the line I could see the clock. 36:48 with about 150m to go. I wasn't going to do it, but had given it my best shot. It's amazing how you come across the same people when you run in local races. There are two people in my Terenure finishing photo who I only got past here again in the last 200m. Consistency or what? :pac:. Last split was 3:39. In the 3:30's, but not by enough :(

Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/545419653

Post race

Gave a little arms up celebration crossing the line since I was under no time pressure today. Once I got over the line I leaned against the railing, waiting for the man who I thought was AMK, as I knew he wouldn't be far behind me. He came in below 38 and I had a decent chat with him there and down in the baggage area afterwards. I also met RedRunner (who ran a massive PB) and the sub 40 gang from statss league table. It appears that statss got the predictions pretty spot on, apart from himself as he finished last of the group and failed to break 40. Maybe he tempted fate putting up that prediction? :D. Everyone else seemed happy. davemcmahon then pointed out to me that the guy I'd assumed was AMK was definitely not him, so it appears I've been talking the ears off some stranger who more than likely has no idea who I am! :eek:. Also caught up with Murph_D who was happy enough with his time and his mate who ran his first 10k today in around 46 minutes. Great stuff. Hung around until MKDTH came in as I'd had a bet with him (-20mins). It was a very close run thing as he came in on 57:25. A huge improvement on his recent parkrun & 5 mile races. Tremendous progress in such a short space of time, but unfortunately he's still €20 poorer this evening :D. Gave myself a one mile cool down jog back to the car.

Review

No complaints about this event. Although I'd never run the route before, I was pretty prepared for it having read a few reviews here about last year. Delighted with my time as it's almost a two minute PB and puts me firmly on course for a mid 2:50's marathon according to McMillan. That was my aim beforehand, but it would have been extra nice to go below. One thing I will say is the more competitive field definitely spurs you on to go faster. I won my last 10k race in a time of 38:58. I'm sure with a bit of competition I probably would have gone quicker that day. There was always a target to aim at ahead of me here and that definitely helps.

Thoughts

I'm very happy with this outcome. My shorter race results (5k, 5m & 10k) all now indicate the type of marathon time I hope to run in Berlin. If I can replicate that with my 10 mile (Mullingar, next Sunday) & HM (Longford, August 24th) times, I will head to Germany in very confident mood this September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great report, super time and well deserved.

You should have known it wasn't me, I'd of never let you pass me that easy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great running - well done. nice to finally meet you today as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great race & report P and a nice PB in the bag. The grand plan is coming together nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great running today. Massive leap in performance, HR training is definitely working for you.

Nice heel-strike btw ;)
    10384840_10152635304923185_2865077338002428475_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Superb run, very mean people putting all those hills at the end! You are flying at the moment, good luck next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Very impressive run from you today. Nice to meet you at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Proper short shorts and a proper fast person's running vest and there's the 8 seconds you were looking for.

Now you've equalled my 10k time I'll be interested to see what you do in the Half; My prediction - 1.22.31 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice running, yaboya. Great result

Itziger wrote: »
    Proper short shorts and a proper fast person's running vest and there's the 8 seconds you were looking for.

Now you've equalled my 10k time I'll be interested to see what you do in the Half; My prediction - 1.22.31 ;)

I would take that now if you gave it to me :)
    I can't wear the short shorts. My legs are too big. I've tried them in training and have never avoided chafing. I might convert to a singlet someday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I noticed the long drag we would face in the first km on the way down :eek:. Got there well ahead of time, allowing time for some stretching and a chat with RedRunner, belcarra & Roisín (who I found out afterwards won the match between herself & belcarra :pac:). An opportunistic photographer pounced on his chance for a group shot, catching us all looking a lot fresher than we would be in an hour or so.

I was going to congratulate you on a great 10k time but when I noticed this glaring inaccuracy I had to cool the jets! Don't know where you got that idea from!:cool:
    Having raced Thursday and yesterday I am pretty knackered today but at least that injury that's been dogging me recently seems to have abated...now I just need to work on my fitness! Might see you in Longford yet...!

belcarra wrote: »
    I was going to congratulate you on a great 10k time but when I noticed this glaring inaccuracy I had to cool the jets! Don't know where you got that idea from!:cool:
    Having raced Thursday and yesterday I am pretty knackered today but at least that injury that's been dogging me recently seems to have abated...now I just need to work on my fitness! Might see you in Longford yet...!

When I asked you how you got on you said you came second? I assumed that's what you meant....

• Advertisement

Monday 21st July - 45 minutes Recovery
    5m @ 9:04p/m average (119bpm avg)

Pre-work recovery run to get the week started. Forgot to change the Garmin back to miles, so the splits are in kilometres.

Splits:

Km 1 - 5:43 (106bpm)
    Km 2 - 6:03 (119bpm)
    Km 3 - 5:33 (126bpm)
    Km 4 - 5:35 (120bpm)
    Km 5 - 5:42 (120bpm)
    Km 6 - 5:33 (124bpm
    Km 7 - 5:35 (119bpm)
    Km 8 - 5:19 (124bpm)
    0.05 - 0:18 (126bpm)

I'm going to go with a similar plan to last week ahead of my race next Sunday. I'll get my long run in tomorrow and fill the rest of the week with easy miles. I'm going to drop the Steady sessions altogether for this week as I don't want to overtax myself after yesterday's effort ahead of Sunday's 10 miler. Should still see me hit the mid 50's mileage wise for the week.

Monday - 45 minutes Recovery (Done)
    Tuesday - 135 minutes Easy
    Wednesday - 90 minutes Easy
    Thursday - 90 minutes Easy
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 45 minutes Recovery (with Strides)
    Sunday - Mullingar 10 Mile

Depending on how I feel throughout the week, I might swap the rest day with one of the 90 minute sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Brilliant run from yourself yesterday, great to see. Nice to put a face to the name too!

Found another photo from yesterday. I look surprisingly comfortable:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90428488@N07/14707361884/in/set-72157645411573858

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Found another photo from yesterday. I look surprisingly comfortable:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90428488@N07/14707361884/in/set-72157645411573858

Good arms! What runners do you wear? Brooks?

Good arms! What runners do you wear? Brooks?

New Balance 1080's. I have a pair of v3's & v4's. They're the v4's.
    Making their race debut yesterday :)

• Advertisement

New Balance 1080's. I have a pair of v3's & v4's. They're the v4's.
    Making their race debut yesterday :)

Cool, never tried NB before myself. Would you consider using something lighter for racing in the future?

Cool, never tried NB before myself. Would you consider using something lighter for racing in the future?

Never thought about it tbh.
    Don't think I'm anywhere near the level that it would make a significant difference?

Never thought about it tbh.
    Don't think I'm anywhere near the level that it would make a significant difference?

That's was exactly my thinking about this time last year. I thought it wouldn't make a difference but now I really think it can do. It's funny, I only fully realise the benefit of wearing a lighter runner makes after wearing something heavier (recovery run etc.) I find it very hard to adjust to anything approaching bulky now. It might be something worth considering. There are many reasons why racing flats, for example, can be an advantage. I think Jack Daniels argues that you expend 1% more energy per 100 grams of weight on a shoe. It's not for everyone and it's an issue much debated! I would definitely experiment with the idea if I were you.

Tuesday 22nd July - 135 minutes Easy
    16m @ 8:37/m average

I decided to do this without the HRM. I wanted to enjoy my run in the glorious sunshine outside, rather than stressing about keeping below a certain bpm. I spent the entire duration of the workout at what I felt was a nice even easy effort. I feel fine afterwards and am delighted to have this one in the bank :)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:39
    Mile 2 - 8:46
    Mile 3 - 8:47
    Mile 4 - 8:54
    Mile 5 - 8:58
    Mile 6 - 8:49
    Mile 7 - 8:39
    Mile 8 - 8:35
    Mile 9 - 8:34
    Mile 10 - 8:36
    Mile 11 - 8:42
    Mile 12 - 8:29
    Mile 13 - 8:30
    Mile 14 - 8:24
    Mile 15 - 8:22
    Mile 16 - 8:15

Wednesday 23rd July - 90 minutes Easy
    10.39m @ 8:40/m average (119bpm avg)

I was very tired after work today and toyed with the idea of resting tonight instead of Friday. But as I walked home, I knew it would be a sin not to go out running on such a gorgeous evening. When I arrived to find that my car had disappeared, discovering soon after that it had been lifted by the scumbag clampers, my mind was made up. Ninety minutes in the fresh air would help cool the jets and clear my head. I took it very easily, so was surprised that the splits weren't a bit slower if I'm being honest. If I go out during the day tomorrow I'll probably leave the HRM behind again and just run very easily by feel. Now I've another couple of miles to cover to go and collect my car :mad:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:32 (114bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:28 (118bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:41 (117bpm)
    Mile 4 - 8:41 (119bpm)
    Mile 5 - 8:46 (119bpm)
    Mile 6 - 8:39 (121bpm)
    Mile 7 - 8:46 (122bpm)
    Mile 8 - 8:41 (121bpm)
    Mile 9 - 8:43 (123bpm)
    Mile 10 - 8:41 (124bpm)
    0.39 - 3:25 (121bpm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The bastards !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Shower of bastards!

Whats the goal for Sunday around the quiet roads of the Lake County?

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the goal for Sunday around the quiet roads of the Lake County?

I'll be happy with anything sub 62.

I'll be happy with anything sub 62.

Good stuff, route seems nice & flat from website. Hopefully the heat will have died down a small bit by then.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, route seems nice & flat from website. Hopefully the heat will have died down a small bit by then.

Hopefully. I'm assuming there's a shuttle bus or something. Start is around 7 miles from the finish. Says nothing about a bus in the race info though?

Hopefully. I'm assuming there's a shuttle bus or something. Start is around 7 miles from the finish. Says nothing about a bus in the race info though?

It starts & finishes at Dalystown School from what i know, looking at the route to the start and finish look side by side.

It starts & finishes at Dalystown School from what i know, looking at the route to the start and finish look side by side.

I must have looked at it wrong then. I thought it started there and finished in the town? Beside Wallaces Old World pub?

I must have looked at it wrong then. I thought it started there and finished in the town? Beside Wallaces Old World pub?

Theres a Wallaces' Pub in Dalystown to, doubt its the one in the middle of Mullingar your thinking of.

Theres a Wallaces' Pub in Dalystown to, doubt its the one in the middle of Mullingar your thinking of.

Now that explains everything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

When I arrived to find that my car had disappeared...

Where had you parked? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

There are two people in my Terenure finishing photo who I only got past here again in the last 200m. Consistency or what? :pac:.

I am one of the two. I think it tends to happen in the race series, the same faces show up around the same pace. Nice to talk to you afterwards, but now that I know you I won't let you past so easily next time!:pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Where had you parked? :pac:

Same place I always park. They gave me bs about causing an obstruction. Took four cars apparently. Must be short of a few quid.

Thursday 24th July - 90 minutes Easy
    10.46m @ 8:36/m average

The sun was covered up by clouds when I hit the road today, so despite the lack of raw heat it was still very close & humid. Decided against bringing the HRM anyway and just kept it nice & easy, similar to yesterday's pace. Feeling pretty fatigued now. The body won't object to tomorrow's rest day :P.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:38
    Mile 2 - 8:36
    Mile 3 - 8:40
    Mile 4 - 8:37
    Mile 5 - 8:39
    Mile 6 - 8:40
    Mile 7 - 8:41
    Mile 8 - 8:39
    Mile 9 - 8:18
    Mile 10 - 8:30
    0.46 - 4:02

• Advertisement

Might see you again in Mullingar on Sunday morning after all.
    Did I hear you say it's a nice and flat course?

That's the word on the street ;)

Go into the Mullingar Harriers website, link to the course there.

Yeah thanks for that Tang, looks nice and flat with a slight drag over the finishing couple of kms but nothing too bad.

Saturday 26th July - 45 minutes Recovery (including 6 x 100m Strides)
    5.13m @ 8:47p/m average (120bpm avg)

An awful experience, just like last Saturday. Let's hope I can put up a similar race performance too. Strides done in Mile 5. Is it just me or is it incredibly heavy out there this morning?

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:36 (115bpm)
    Mile 2 - 8:38 (118bpm)
    Mile 3 - 8:56 (119bpm)
    Mile 4 - 9:00 (117bpm)
    Mile 5 - 7:39 (135bpm)
    0.15 - 1:13 (117bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Not just you. Just back from an easy run and was sweating buckets. We are in dire need of a good thunder and lightening storm to clear the air.

Best of luck tomorrow in Mullingar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Defo not just you. Did my long run this morning and the sweating done was of marathon proportions. Was very glad to get home and get some water into me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I did ten miles this morning we'd rain last night wasn't as bad as other mornings this week, I'm not on the east side tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck tomorrow and I just came in from an easy 6 miles looking like someone had just chucked a bucket of water over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Good luck tomorrow P. Give 'em hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck tomorrow Yaboya1 - looking forward to reading about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement