Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So I'm going to get stuck into the last 8 weeks of the P&D 55-70 plan starting on Monday. However since that's a rest day with just some recovery runs planned for Tuesday, I'm going to assume I've started today. I'll do the A.M. miles this evening and the P.M. tomorrow morning. That should leave me fresh to attack the first decent workout on Monday. It also gives me a two day buffer to play with that I may need in the next week or two. I'll do my best to follow the plan as closely as possible in the correct order, but juggling certain sessions/days may be unavoidable due to work/life etc.

These are the paces I plan to run at:

VO2 max intervals: 5:40 min/mile
    LT runs: 6:10 min/mile
    MP runs: 6:40 min/mile
    General Aerobic runs: 7:30 - 8:00 min/mile
    Med-Long runs: 7:40 -7:50 min/mile
    Long runs: 7:50 - 8:00 min/mile
    Recovery runs: 8:30 - 9:30 min/mile

Seems fine for running outside now, but I've had a change of heart. I'm going to allow myself the weekend off as originally planned. I'm listening to my body, which is telling me the rest will benefit me more than any amount of miles in the next couple of days. That will leave me raring to go starting the plan as scheduled on Monday (with another rest day :D). I can deal with any issues that pop up around getting workouts/sessions done as & when they occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Seems fine for running outside now, but I've had a change of heart. I'm going to allow myself the weekend off as originally planned. I'm listening to my body, which is telling me the rest will benefit me more than any amount of miles in the next couple of days. That will leave me raring to go starting the plan as scheduled on Monday (with another rest day :D). I can deal with any issues that pop up around getting workouts/sessions done as & when they occur.

I think you're doing the sensible thing and it'll stand to you.

Play golf have a pint or two :)

TbL

I've been messing around with this plan to see can I come up with something that suits my schedule, but also reduces the risk of injury and allows me to be reasonably fresh going into the important runs. I've attached an excel document with the Actual Plan (Sheet 1) straight from the book, and my Proposed Plan (Sheet 2) which has been juggled to fit in the Longford HM. Would be interested in any opinions before I go ahead with it.

P,

Purely from my own perspective if it was my plan I'd add more miles to the LR and cut back slightly elsewhere. For me I felt I benefited from the
    LR's and I'd have more 20's and another 22-23.

TbL

• Advertisement

P,

Purely from my own perspective if it was my plan I'd add more miles to the LR and cut back slightly elsewhere. For me I felt I benefited from the
    LR's and I'd have more 20's and another 22-23.

TbL

My thinking behind the reshuffling was that I'd still get all the recommended sessions done without too much messing around. Rather than making a straight switch I moved the 18m (with 14m @MP) to three weeks out, as I felt that workout would be a bit too taxing just seven days after racing a half-marathon. A 20m long run doesn't seem as difficult and should take far less out of me. I feel like I've already done plenty of long runs and base building in the last few months and am not really worried about the lack of 20+ mile runs here. You make a fair and interesting point though. Appreciate the feedback :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

I couldn't be arsed trying to read back through the log. How many 150 min runs have you done ?
    When and what distance was the last one ?

ger664 wrote: »
    I couldn't be arsed trying to read back through the log. How many 150 min runs have you done ?
    When and what distance was the last one ?

Since the marathon I've done the following 2hrs+ runs:

1 x 165mins
    2 x 150mins
    2 x 135mins
    7 x 120mins

The most recent one was the 165 mins on the morning of the beer mile (28th June). I ran 19 miles that day. One of the 150mins (17m) was the week before that. There's 22m due to be run in the plan next Sunday.

Edit: Also did a very slow 20 miles back in March (which I'd forgotten about)

Monday 4th August (Day 1/56) - Rest/Cross Training

Spent the morning watching some of the athletes compete in the Rock & Roll HM. Witnessed Ferris B nail a new PB, davemacmahon cruise in under 1:30 and if I'm not mistaken RedRunner PB'd as well. Also caught a glimpse of Marthastew & Claralara sprinting up the finishing straight.

My own training today consists of an afternoon session on the golf course, where the target will be two sub 40 nines :D

The only issue I see with your switch is that weeks 3 & 4 have consecutive tune-up race followed by Long Run. Maybe a bit too much. As your semi goal is Longford maybe do a 5K or no race on Week 3.

• Advertisement

The only issue I see with your switch is that weeks 3 & 4 have consecutive tune-up race followed by Long Run. Maybe a bit too much. As your semi goal is Longford maybe do a 5K or no race on Week 3.

Thinking of doing a 5k parkrun on the 16th with a couple of warm-up/cool down miles. Longford HM on the 24th. Not going to bother with a race two weeks out. Will probably just run a 10k time trial myself.

Tuesday 5th August (Day 2/56) - 6m Recovery, 4m Recovery

First day back running in what felt like an eternity (actual time off: 3 days :pac:). I woke up this morning full of runners paranoia, feeling pretty awful and afraid I had lost my fitness. This was despite the fact that I had put in a good session on Friday, and had run almost 1400 miles so far this year up to that point. Anyway, I wasn't looking forward to my double today. My recent recovery runs have been really bad experiences and two of them in the same day didn't seem too appealing. I expected some more forgettable workouts.

A.M.
    6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 8:29p/m average

As soon as I hit the road it was as if the tank had been filled and the biggest problem I had throughout the run was keeping hold of the reins. Those few days off appear to have done me good (as I was advised they would) :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:35
    Mile 2 - 8:35
    Mile 3 - 8:25
    Mile 4 - 8:34
    Mile 5 - 8:24
    Mile 6 - 8:24

P.M.
    4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:30p/m average

Same story here. Felt so full of energy that going at this pace has taken virtually nothing out of me. Bring on the next eight weeks!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:24
    Mile 2 - 8:37
    Mile 3 - 8:33
    Mile 4 - 8:25

I suppose two recovery runs shouldn't really have any effect on your confidence, but I am on a major high after those. Can't wait to get stuck into my 15 mile M/L run in the morning (that's not sarcasm btw ;)).

*Note to self: Stop running eastward in the mornings. The sun shining directly on my temple gives me a right fcuking headache!!

Wednesday 6th August (Day 3/56) - 15m Med/Long
    15 miles @ 7:27p/m average

My original planned pace for these runs was between 7:40-7:50min/mile, but since I was feeling so fresh after my three day rest I decided to follow the FBOT01 example and do it as a progression run.

Targets were:

First 5m: 7:40min/mile approx
    Middle 5m: 7:30min/mile approx
    Last 5m: 7:20min/mile approx

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:37
    Mile 2 - 7:36
    Mile 3 - 7:40
    Mile 4 - 7:37
    Mile 5 - 7:37
    Mile 6 - 7:27
    Mile 7 - 7:26
    Mile 8 - 7:27
    Mile 9 - 7:29
    Mile 10 - 7:26
    Mile 11 - 7:16
    Mile 12 - 7:18
    Mile 13 - 7:17
    Mile 14 - 7:17
    Mile 15 - 7:18

Pretty pleased with that. Although the pace was increasing, the effort was pretty similar throughout. This was due to climbing for the early part of the run, flattening out in the middle and coming back downhill towards the end. Great way to start the day! :)

Just a point to note. Are these miles Garmin miles or measured miles ? When I use my GPS watch I will always either make a mile 1.01 or run at a pace on the watch 5 secs/mile quicker. For example real 7:40 pace would be 7:35 on a gps watch. It might be small but It will be an issue on race day on an accurately measured course which Berlin will be.

Just a point to note. Are these miles Garmin miles or measured miles ? When I use my GPS watch I will always either make a mile 1.01 or run at a pace on the watch 5 secs/mile quicker. For example real 7:40 pace would be 7:35 on a gps watch. It might be small but It will be an issue on race day on an accurately measured course which Berlin will be.

Garmin miles. I know what you mean, but 6:40 Garmin miles on the day will be more than good enough ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:37
    Mile 2 - 7:36
    Mile 3 - 7:40
    Mile 4 - 7:37
    Mile 5 - 7:37
    Mile 6 - 7:27
    Mile 7 - 7:26
    Mile 8 - 7:27
    Mile 9 - 7:29
    Mile 10 - 7:26
    Mile 11 - 7:16
    Mile 12 - 7:18
    Mile 13 - 7:17
    Mile 14 - 7:17
    Mile 15 - 7:18

Impressive how you did that - were you dialling it up by feel or keeping an eye on the watch? It's a subtle enough transition but I always have difficulty getting faster on a long run, especially in the final third.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Impressive how you did that - were you dialling it up by feel or keeping an eye on the watch? It's a subtle enough transition but I always have difficulty getting faster on a long run, especially in the final third.

Bit of both really. Once I hit the miles where I needed to increase the pace I consciously sped up, but also kept an eye on the watch to ensure it wasn't by too much/little.

Thursday 7th August (Day 4/56) - 6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 8:33p/m average

Nice little jog to shake out the legs after yesterday's run. Tomorrow's session is a toughie, so I better ensure tonight's sleep is a good one :eek:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:39
    Mile 2 - 8:28
    Mile 3 - 8:30
    Mile 4 - 8:35
    Mile 5 - 8:34
    Mile 6 - 8:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I miss reading about your beats:D You not wearing the hr monitor anymore?

Ososlo wrote: »
    I miss reading about your beats:D You not wearing the hr monitor anymore?

It's got the Timeform squiggle. I've discarded it until the winter :cool:

• Advertisement

Friday 8th August (Day 5/56) - 12m (with 7m @ LT)
    12miles @ 6:58p/m average (LT miles: 6:08 average)

In my opinion, this is probably the toughest session in the plan. Luckily I was ready for it (having completed it before in the run-up to Seville), as it was no less difficult than I expected. Delighted to keep the LT miles almost bang on target all the way. Very nice to have this one under the belt. I got saturated the entire time I was out, but I won't complain as it gave a bit of a cooling effect. Compared to the ridiculously humid weather we've had recently, it makes a welcome change. Just some recovery miles and a long run left in the next couple of days, which will bring me up to 70 miles for the week. My peak in the plan as far as mileage goes. Feeling good! :)

Splits:

Warm-up

Mile 1 - 8:00
    Mile 2 - 7:52
    Mile 3 - 7:59

LT

Mile 4 - 6:11
    Mile 5 - 6:08
    Mile 6 - 6:08
    Mile 7 - 6:08
    Mile 8 - 6:08
    Mile 9 - 6:09
    Mile 10 - 6:07

Cool down

Mile 11 - 7:41
    Mile 12 - 9:08

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

In my opinion, this is probably the toughest session in the plan. Luckily I was ready for it (having completed it before in the run-up to Seville), as it was no less difficult than I expected. Delighted to keep the LT miles almost bang on target all the way. Very nice to have this one under the belt. I got saturated the entire time I was out, but I won't complain as it gave a bit of a cooling effect. Compared to the ridiculously humid weather we've had recently, it makes a welcome change. Just some recovery miles and a long run left in the next couple of days, which will bring me up to 70 miles for the week. My peak in the plan as far as mileage goes. Feeling good! :)

Splits:

Warm-up

Mile 1 - 8:00
    Mile 2 - 7:52
    Mile 3 - 7:59

LT

Mile 4 - 6:11
    Mile 5 - 6:08
    Mile 6 - 6:08
    Mile 7 - 6:08
    Mile 8 - 6:08
    Mile 9 - 6:09
    Mile 10 - 6:07

Cool down

Mile 11 - 7:41
    Mile 12 - 9:08
    Great session. What was the route like for the LT miles, flat, undulating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Good stuff yaboya1

In my opinion, this is probably the toughest session in the plan.

I think the following week is worst as a whole...
    - Sat - 8K-15K race
    - Sun - 18 mile LSR
    - Mon - rest
    - Tue - 10 miles with 6x1K
    - Wed - 15 miles

Especially for me as I'm looking to do the Tullamore half for the race :eek:

paddybarry wrote: »
    Great session. What was the route like for the LT miles, flat, undulating?

I did in the PP. Mixture of undulations, but nothing too severe. Miles 1,5 & 6 were probably slightly uphill, while the others were the opposite I'd say.

Here's the Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/559921612

viperlogic wrote: »
    I think the following week is worst as a whole...
    - Sat - 8K-15K race
    - Sun - 18 mile LSR
    - Mon - rest
    - Tue - 10 miles with 6x1K
    - Wed - 15 miles

Especially for me as I'm looking to do the Tullamore half for the race :eek:

That's up for me from next Saturday.
    Can't wait! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

That's up for me from next Saturday.
    Can't wait! :D

Ya nutter! What race you planning to do for it?

viperlogic wrote: »
    Ya nutter! What race you planning to do for it?

I'm only going to do a parkrun, as I've had to switch the following two weeks around because of the Longford HM. Hoping to PB, but it won't be easy.

I'm only going to do a parkrun, as I've had to switch the following two weeks around because of the Longford HM. Hoping to PB, but it won't be easy.
    which one you thinking of doing?

which one you thinking of doing?

I'm playing golf in Wicklow Golf Club at 11am, so I figure Marlay is the best fit for that. Allows me approximately an hour to drive down, shower and be on the tee in time. If I run anywhere else, the travel time increases leaving me less & less time to spare after I get there.

• Advertisement

Excellent session with very consistent splits.

TbL

I'm playing golf in Wicklow Golf Club at 11am, so I figure Marlay is the best fit for that. Allows me approximately an hour to drive down, shower and be on the tee in time. If I run anywhere else, the travel time increases leaving me less & less time to spare after I get there.
    You will PB Marlay no bother. Definitely go out hard, you have plenty of stamina. That hill in the middle wont cause you much hassle. Might see you down there.

Saturday 9th August (Day 6/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:39p/m average

Nice easy one to loosen the legs out ahead of tomorrow mornings workout, the longest run in the plan :eek:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:45
    Mile 2 - 8:42
    Mile 3 - 8:45
    Mile 4 - 8:35
    Mile 5 - 8:28

Sunday 10th August (Day 7/56) - 22m Long Run
    22 miles @ 7:41p/m average

The weather didn't look too promising for this session as I gazed out the window at 7am. As a result, I threw on an extra layer, a pair of gloves and a hat before I met my date for this morning, Ferris B. By the time we set off at 8am, the weather had improved considerably and I was immediately regretting my choice of attire :(. We chatted while we ran up the canal and around the PP in a couple of different directions, not really paying attention to the pace without letting it get too slow. On the way back out of the park we had already covered 16 miles, but I must say it definitely didn't feel like that that much. Time flies when you're having fun/have company :pac:. I mentioned to Ferris that the pace had now picked up to 7:30min/mile pace without even being noticeable. He assured me that he had definitely noticed it and encouraged me to kick on for the remaining miles. Although I was feeling pretty fresh, I felt a bit guilty deserting my morning running companion, but after further encouragement I decided to kick on after 18 miles. Finished out the run with four miles close to MP (6:40). Really enjoyed that and feel great after it. Cheers Ferris ;)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:13
    Mile 2 - 8:13
    Mile 3 - 8:20
    Mile 4 - 8:22
    Mile 5 - 8:15
    Mile 6 - 7:58
    Mile 7 - 8:04
    Mile 8 - 7:58
    Mile 9 - 7:55
    Mile 10 - 8:06
    Mile 11 - 7:56
    Mile 12 - 7:47
    Mile 13 - 7:51
    Mile 14 - 7:55
    Mile 15 - 7:50
    Mile 16 - 7:32
    Mile 17 - 7:28
    Mile 18 - 7:10
    Mile 19 - 6:36
    Mile 20 - 6:35
    Mile 21 - 6:36
    Mile 22 - 6:34

*I actually ran 23 miles today as I had already covered a mile when I arrived at our meeting point, but I hadn't started the watch so officially we'll call it 22 ;)

Well done P,

Now you know what it feels like Ferris :)

Nice session lads.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

You were like coiled up spring from 16 on, just itching to be released. When you did go at 18, you just tore off like a rat up a drainpipe.

Thanks though, enjoyed that run.

• Advertisement

The mind boggles at what time you are going to nail in Berlin.

Cheers Ger. Looking forward to the Seville reunion after the DCM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Agree with this - 2:4x wouldn't surprise me that much...

Agree with this - 2:4x wouldn't surprise me that much...

Ha! :pac:

Sunday 10th August (Day 7/56) - 22m Long Run
    22 miles @ 7:41p/m average

The weather didn't look too promising for this session as I gazed out the window at 7am. As a result, I threw on an extra layer, a pair of gloves and a hat before I met my date for this morning, Ferris B. By the time we set off at 8am, the weather had improved considerably and I was immediately regretting my choice of attire :(. We chatted while we ran up the canal and around the PP in a couple of different directions, not really paying attention to the pace without letting it get too slow. On the way back out of the park we had already covered 16 miles, but I must say it definitely didn't feel like that that much. Time flies when you're having fun/have company :pac:. I mentioned to Ferris that the pace had now picked up to 7:30min/mile pace without even being noticeable. He assured me that he had definitely noticed it and encouraged me to kick on for the remaining miles. Although I was feeling pretty fresh, I felt a bit guilty deserting my morning running companion, but after further encouragement I decided to kick on after 18 miles. Finished out the run with four miles close to MP (6:40). Really enjoyed that and feel great after it. Cheers Ferris ;)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:13
    Mile 2 - 8:13
    Mile 3 - 8:20
    Mile 4 - 8:22
    Mile 5 - 8:15
    Mile 6 - 7:58
    Mile 7 - 8:04
    Mile 8 - 7:58
    Mile 9 - 7:55
    Mile 10 - 8:06
    Mile 11 - 7:56
    Mile 12 - 7:47
    Mile 13 - 7:51
    Mile 14 - 7:55
    Mile 15 - 7:50
    Mile 16 - 7:32
    Mile 17 - 7:28
    Mile 18 - 7:10
    Mile 19 - 6:36
    Mile 20 - 6:35
    Mile 21 - 6:36
    Mile 22 - 6:34

*I actually ran 23 miles today as I had already covered a mile when I arrived at our meeting point, but I hadn't started the watch so officially we'll call it 22 ;)
    Did you take anything on this run, gels etc?

• Advertisement

Did you take anything on this run, gels etc?

No, I generally do all my training on empty. Usually grab a bottle of Lucozade or something when I finish.

No, I generally do all my training on empty. Usually grab a bottle of Lucozade or something when I finish.
    I would be the same. Do you take anything in the marathon?

I would be the same. Do you take anything in the marathon?

I usually take a sip/mouthful of water at each station and pour the rest over my head/face. I have taken gels in every marathon up to now, but I've decided I'm not taking any more than three (if even that many) in Berlin. I got a stitch after 23 miles in Seville which may have been down to that (I took 4 there, one every 10k). I might wait until I feel like I need them, and if I don't, go without them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

That was a great weeks training, P...nice "LSR" to finish off!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    That was a great weeks training, P...nice "LSR" to finish off!!

Thanks Mark. I'm particularly happy with two of the last three days, following up Friday's session with such a long run today. I can't believe how fresh I feel after it, considering I've covered 70 miles this week. Those days off really have paid dividends. The company most definitely made it easier this morning though. No doubt about that. If yourself or Ferris are looking for company on the remaining long runs in the plan, be sure to give me a shout as if I can make it I most definitely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That LSR must be a huge confidence booster (not that I think you were looking for a confidence boost). I'm enjoying following these P&D weeks, and you can clearly tell from the log that you're enjoying your running at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Thanks Mark. I'm particularly happy with two of the last three days, following up Friday's session with such a long run today. I can't believe how fresh I feel after it, considering I've covered 70 miles this week. Those days off really have paid dividends. The company most definitely made it easier this morning though. No doubt about that. If yourself or Ferris are looking for company on the remaining long runs in the plan, be sure to give me a shout as if I can make it I most definitely will.

He might only stay with you for a few miles though:D

outforarun wrote: »
    That LSR must be a huge confidence booster

Definitely. As I mentioned, the fact that I could do that less than 48 hours after the tough LT session really has me bouncing :)
    outforarun wrote: »
    you can clearly tell from the log that you're enjoying your running at the moment.

I'm loving it at the moment. I've a difficult couple of weeks coming up, but I'm relishing them. To say I'm counting down the days to Berlin would be an understatement.

Monday 11th August (Day 8/56) - Rest/Cross Training

After a late night up watching the golf and a long day in work ahead of me, I'm not sure I could have fit a run in today, even if I wanted to. I probably need the rest day though, with a 70 mile week behind me and a VO2 Max session scheduled for tomorrow morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Monday 11th August (Day 8/56) - Rest/Cross Training

After a late night up watching the golf and a long day in work ahead of me, I'm not sure I could have fit a run in today, even if I wanted to. I probably need the rest day though, with a 70 mile week behind me and a VO2 Max session scheduled for tomorrow morning :eek:

I wish my rest day had come after the late night watching the golf instead of before it........VO2 Max here we come:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement