Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I wish my rest day had come after the late night watching the golf instead of before it........VO2 Max here we come:pac::pac:

Good luck with it :)

Tuesday 12th August (Day 9/56) - 9m (with 5 x 600m @ VO2Max)

3.42m warm-up

5 x 600m splits (with 1:30min recovery)

1 - 2:00
    2 - 1:58
    3 - 2:00
    4 - 1:58
    5 - 1:59

3m cool down

Although I had set my pace for VO2 Max sessions at 5:40min/mile (3:30min/km), when I looked back on my Seville training I noticed I was doing these intervals in around two minutes (3:20min/km) so I didn't see the point in going slower here. The first three felt fine and I actually had to rein myself in a little bit not to go faster. However (similar to FBOT01 doing the same session yesterday), I soon realised when I turned back for the final two intervals that I'd had a breeze behind me and was now faced with a pretty strong headwind. I had to push hard to hold the pace but I managed it for both of them, even if I did have to take a few seconds of my recoveries walking after each one :). Finished off with some very slow cool down miles. I think I'll stick to 5k pace for the rest of the V02 Max workouts in the plan. That's what's recommended anyway.

Wednesday 13th August (Day 10/56) - 15m Med/Long
    15 miles @ 7:32p/m average

This was supposed to be a fourteen mile run, but due to a wrong turn (or more accurately, not taking a right turn), I ended up covering an extra mile. I thought I might as well continue the final mile at the same pace rather than opting for a long walk home. I had hoped to run this as a progression run, but as I was so tired when I got in this evening I decided to play it by ear and see how I felt after the first four. Luckily after a sluggish start I was able to pick it up and held the pace for each section (which ended up being 4m/5m/6m). Glad to get that out of the way. A couple of easy days up now ahead of the weekend.

Targets were:

First 4m: Sub 8:00min/mile approx
    Next 5m: Sub 7:40min/mile approx
    Last 5m: Sub 7:20min/mile approx

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:54
    Mile 2 - 7:56
    Mile 3 - 7:57
    Mile 4 - 7:49
    Mile 5 - 7:39
    Mile 6 - 7:36
    Mile 7 - 7:39
    Mile 8 - 7:25
    Mile 9 - 7:32
    Mile 10 - 7:17
    Mile 11 - 7:14
    Mile 12 - 7:13
    Mile 13 - 7:16
    Mile 14 - 7:14
    Mile 15 - 7:13

Thursday 14th August (Day 11/56) - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides), 4m Recovery

Felt a bit fatigued this morning and was relieved that both these runs only had to be completed at recovery pace.

A.M.
    6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:28p/m average

Legs woke up once I got going. Any stiffness/soreness I was feeling from last night had disappeared by the time I was in the second mile. Did the strides during the last mile which explains the much faster split.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:37
    Mile 2 - 8:58
    Mile 3 - 8:51
    Mile 4 - 8:45
    Mile 5 - 8:37
    Mile 6 - 7:02

P.M.
    4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:38p/m average

Really didn't enjoy this and was delighted when it was over. Let's hope it's done it's job.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:10
    Mile 2 - 8:54
    Mile 3 - 8:46
    Mile 4 - 8:44

Tomorrow sees another short recovery run before I make an assault on my 5k PB in Marlay on Saturday morning. Looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Thursday 14th August (Day 11/56) - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides), 4m Recovery

Felt a bit fatigued this morning and was relieved that both these runs only had to be completed at recovery pace.

A.M.
    6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:28p/m average

Legs woke up once I got going. Any stiffness/soreness I was feeling from last night had disappeared by the time I was in the second mile. Did the strides during the last mile which explains the much faster split.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:37
    Mile 2 - 8:58
    Mile 3 - 8:51
    Mile 4 - 8:45
    Mile 5 - 8:37
    Mile 6 - 7:02

P.M.
    4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:38p/m average

Really didn't enjoy this and was delighted when it was over. Let's hope it's done it's job.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:10
    Mile 2 - 8:54
    Mile 3 - 8:46
    Mile 4 - 8:44

Tomorrow sees another short recovery run before I make an assault on my 5k PB in Marlay on Saturday morning. Looking forward to that :)
    What time you hoping to do?

paddybarry wrote: »
    What time you hoping to do?

17:54 is my current PB. I'll be happy if I can better that.

Friday 15th August (Day 12/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:29p/m average

Usually my race eve recovery runs are not pleasant experiences. They normally consist of me struggling to knock out 9-9:30 minute miles while sweating profusely. I must have got that run out of the way last night as this evening was a different story. I cruised around without breaking sweat a fair bit quicker. Even more reason to be confident for the morning??

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:24
    Mile 2 - 8:29
    Mile 3 - 8:39
    Mile 4 - 8:18
    Mile 5 - 8:36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck in the morn. I hope all goes to plan.....enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope it goes well - best of luck.

• Advertisement

3rd place in 17:15 in Marlay this morning. 5k pb smashed by 39 seconds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That is a great time considering the heavy training you are doing. Your body seems to be holding up very well to the workload. Should give you a lot of confidence for Berlin.

That is a great time considering the heavy training you are doing. Your body seems to be holding up very well to the workload. Should give you a lot of confidence for Berlin.

paddybarry kept me honest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Great running yaboya, well deserved. All the signs are pointing in the direction of you firmly nailing a sub 3 to the mast in Berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats P. It's great to see hard work paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Savage going KielyUnusual2

Well done, down to 16 mins soon.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great run P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

3rd place in 17:15 in Marlay this morning. 5k pb smashed by 39 seconds :)
    Nice to meet you. I harbored hopes of taking you after cresting the hill but you were way too strong. You were nice and controlled the whole way and i'd say you had a faster time in you than what you achieved.

You are in great nick, stay healthy and keep improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Go on Yaboya!!, you're just going from strength to strength - great to watch this tale unfold really!

Wow - very nice indeed.

Soon you will be changing your name from Yaboya to Youdaman! Another good day at the office. Well done, P. I hope you the recovery golf went just as well!

• Advertisement

Saturday 16th August (Day 13/56) - 8-10k Tune-Up Race (9-13m total)
    5k @ 3:27p/km average (17:15)

I decided to run this rather than the recommended 8-10k race, as I thought it would be sufficient considering I have a Half-Marathon coming up next week. My course selection was down to the fact that I needed to be on the first tee box of Wicklow Golf Club at 11am, and Marlay is the closest to that particular venue. After another pretty hefty week of marathon training, I was feeling surprisingly fresh due to some easy running on Thursday & Friday. A PB assault was definitely on, but by how much? I would have been happy with a PB of any description, but I decided to initially set out at 3:30km pace (which would give me a time of around 17:30) and then play by ear.

Pre-Race

Up at 7:30 this morning for some porridge, coffee and a banana. I don't really feel like I need to fuel myself for short races, but do like to get something into the system to waken up the body. Got to Marlay nice and early, where I was greeted by the prevailing strong gale that would be hurting in the usual parts of the course. I did a two mile warm up jog around the circuit, which confirmed my original suspicions. There are definitely better places to go if you want to guarantee a PB, but needs must and I told myself to stop making excuses and get on with it when I finished. Lined up right at the front on the left of the field (right beside the eventual winner), which would prevent me getting held up early and also give me the prime racing line into the first bend. Off and running around 9:32.

The Race

I jumped off and already found myself down to about 10th place after the usual 200m hares set off at a million miles an hour. I was happy just to ensure I was gradually working up to my planned pace, which saw me move up a few places by the second bend. I was already sitting in 5th crossing the gravel at the bottom of the concert field, knowing already (even at that early stage) that my position was unlikely to change too much after that once I held the target pace. As we came up towards the end of the first km, two lads had started to put distance between themselves and the field. I couldn't go with them, but felt they were further ahead of me than they should have been. I moved out from behind the guy in third and ran between him and the guy in fourth to move myself up to third. Neither responded as I went through the first km in 3:19 according to the timekeeper (although the Garmin shows 3:22). From this point on I could hear footsteps right behind me. Somebody was sitting on my shoulder and I wasn't getting away from them. As we moved down into the woods, the head of the field had really begun to sort itself out. The guy in front had established about 15-20m on second place, while that runner had at least that or more on me. I had virtually nothing on the guy directly behind. I was pushing but he wasn't going away. Constant patter of footsteps in my ear. I knew the 2nd & 3rd km's would be slower than ideal due to the wind and the hill, but was disappointed to see the second split flash at 3:41 before I turned up the climb towards the M50. I knew this was going to really hurt. Strong breeze and steep uphill. Surely this guy would go away if I held my current pace? If anything he sounded like he was getting closer as we came towards the crest of the hill. I was doing my best to hold a consistent pace, but knew once I hit the peak I'd be able to speed up coming back down. I was deliberately keeping something in reserve to make up some time on the downhill. Through 3km in 3:42. Now I needed to make up some ground. As we moved back down past the golf course I started to pile the pressure on, but I couldn't shake this guy. We'd now covered 3.5km and he was still sitting on my shoulder, like he was waiting for his opportunity to pounce. 'I'm not letting this guy get by me without a fight' I vowed to myself, putting on another spurt as we headed back down towards the concert field approaching the 4k marker. Then I heard it, the sound I'd been waiting for. Nothing. The footsteps were gone. I looked at my watch as it beeped (3:17). Had I broken him? I snuck a quick glance as I took the left at the top of the final loop. He was still within range so I needed to keep up to my work. The run back down to the gravel was punishing. The breeze was straight in my face again and I threw what I had left into powering through it as quick as possible. I rounded the bottom of the field and moved as quickly as I could towards the finish line. When I finally reached the hallowed ground, the timekeeper called out my split of 17:15 (which matched my Garmin). Final km in 3:12. I collected my 3rd place token and moved through the finishing funnel, absolutely ecstatic with my time and feeling satisfied with what I felt was a job well done :)

Garmin Data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/566614337

*Garmin only giving a reading of 4.93k (possibly down to a bad signal in the woods?). Seemed to be about bang on passing the 1km marker.

Post-Race

I congratulated the two lads who finished ahead of me and moved over the the barcode scanners to make everything official. After I'd done the necessary, I took a couple of minutes to gather my thoughts while I was cooling down. paddybarry then appeared, introducing himself for the first time and making me aware that he was the guy who'd been breathing down my neck for most of the race. He echoed the comments he's made above and his compliments are greatly appreciated. If he'd told me before the race he was going to run 17:24, there's no way I'd have been backing myself to beat him.

Thoughts

As I've said more than once in the past, I love these parkruns. I've never actually ran a real 5k 'race'. Five parkruns to date and loved every one of them. When I eventually do run an actual race, it will have a lot to live up to in terms of organisation and the friendly welcome I've been greeted with each and every time. This is likely to be my last 5k for a while, but I'll definitely be volunteering myself at least once before Berlin. This morning's time is pointing to a marathon in the mid 2:40's according to McMillan, but I'll ignore that for the minute and continue to chip away at what I'm doing. It's nice to know nonetheless :). I've got a really tough week coming up. Apart from the 18 miles scheduled for tomorrow, I've two M/L runs, a tough V02 Max session (6x1k), before the week culminates next Sunday with the Longford HM. If I get through the week unscathed and on target, it's going to take an awful lot to convince me that I won't run sub 3 in Berlin. Kind of goes to show what's possible with good consistent training, as if somebody had said that to me last December, I'd have laughed in their face :P.
    Anyway, another 60-70 mile week?? Bring it on!! :D

Didn't really congratulate you enough in my earlier post. That is a stunning performance.

I wonder how much your hadd training has influenced your recent runs? Be interesting to know.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Didn't really congratulate you enough in my earlier post. That is a stunning performance.

I wonder how much your hadd training has influenced your recent runs? Be interesting to know.

It's hard to say. I've never run anywhere near as many miles or trained as consistently before, so I haven't got anything to gauge it against. I'm sure it has helped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Someone needs to stop sandbagging about their predicted time in the Berlin Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Also a nice rebuttal of FBOT's (mechanised & short) 10k challenge from yesterday :)

Really great performance KU2

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Smashed outta the park! (no pun intended) Great performance and result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Super stuff as usual :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great stuff yaboya - congrats.

Great run and report, P. Looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Cracking stuff. That time is another level altogether if you're to trust McMillan!

• Advertisement

Another excellent report and performance.....the hadd, the miles, the consistency are all playing their part but it is the love for your running and the passion for the race that is making sure you deliver and making the "slow" journey to faster times compelling viewing IMHO. Keep up the good work, P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Good stuff. Always personally found that 5k in Marlay a tough one so well done! May see you down in Longford.

Sunday 17th August (Day 14/56) - 18m Long Run
    18 miles @ 7:49p/m average

I enjoyed this, but must admit it did feel longer (mileage & timewise) without having company like last week. The plan was to run 18 sub 8 minute miles. I was tempted to speed up to MP in the closing stages, but thought better of it considering I had yesterday's 5k effort in my legs, and another one coming up on Tuesday. Mission accomplished and another week of training crossed off the list. Just 6 to go....:eek:

Splits:

Mile 2 - 7:55
    Mile 3 - 7:54
    Mile 4 - 7:51
    Mile 5 - 7:52
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:55
    Mile 8 - 7:49
    Mile 9 - 7:42
    Mile 10 - 7:53
    Mile 11 - 7:53
    Mile 12 - 7:46
    Mile 13 - 7:39
    Mile 14 - 7:43
    Mile 15 - 7:53
    Mile 16 - 7:48
    Mile 17 - 7:42
    Mile 18 - 7:46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sunday 17th August (Day 14/56) - 18m Long Run
    18 miles @ 7:49p/m average

I enjoyed this, but must admit it did feel longer (mileage & timewise) without having company like last week. The plan was to run 18 sub 8 minute miles. I was tempted to speed up to MP in the closing stages, but thought better of it considering I had yesterday's 5k effort in my legs, and another one coming up on Tuesday. Mission accomplished and another week of training crossed off the list. Just 6 to go....:eek:

Splits:

Mile 2 - 7:55
    Mile 3 - 7:54
    Mile 4 - 7:51
    Mile 5 - 7:52
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:55
    Mile 8 - 7:49
    Mile 9 - 7:42
    Mile 10 - 7:53
    Mile 11 - 7:53
    Mile 12 - 7:46
    Mile 13 - 7:39
    Mile 14 - 7:43
    Mile 15 - 7:53
    Mile 16 - 7:48
    Mile 17 - 7:42
    Mile 18 - 7:46

Uncanny, I did 18 miles as well this morning in a very similar pace. I like how you keep the pace so even though.

Itziger wrote: »
    Uncanny, I did 18 miles as well this morning in a very similar pace. I like how you keep the pace so even though.

Looks like the 1:22:31 is a cert next Sunday so....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

Looks like the 1:22:31 is a cert next Sunday so....:pac:

You might have to start revising some of the targets! Young lads, I always feel, when they start improving like that, can take huge chunks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Superb running again P, sub 80 mins next week in Longford easy.

tang1 wrote: »
    Superb running again P, sub 80 mins next week in Longford easy.

Sub 80, easy?

I hope you're right, but I guess time will tell.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Sub 80 is possible but it wont be easy. As I said before Berlin is the goal. Getting sub 80 is secondary. You dont need to leave everything on the roads of Longford chasing a secondary goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just seen your 5k time - that's an amazing performance!
    Well deserved though.

B'Stard. :)

Monday 18th August (Day 15/56) - Rest/Cross Training

After a solid week of training I allowed myself a few beers last night. Spent this morning on the golf course (for the third day in succession) recovering from my hangover. Back to it tomorrow!

Just seen your 5k time - that's an amazing performance!
    Well deserved though.

B'Stard. :)

I knew you'd be pleased :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

That was one of the best 5K race reports (or pre-golf warm-up reports) I've read. Especially the sound of nothing piece. Proper racing. Progress on here is relentless, the long runs, the sessions, the races, they all keep coming and you keep batting them away. Podium and a 39 second PB over 5K! Make sure you stay injury-free and it should really be job-done come Berlin.

Tuesday 19th August (Day 16/56) - 10m (with 6 x 1,000m @ VO2Max)

2.5m warm-up

6 x 1,000m splits (with 2:00min recovery)

1 - 3:27
    2 - 3:26
    3 - 3:25
    4 - 3:26
    5 - 3:26
    6 - 3:26

2.75m cool down

After my new 5k PB on Saturday, I needed to adjust the target splits for this session to 3:27min/km. Before I hit the road this morning, I foolishly had myself believing this would be comfortable having strung 5k together in a row at that pace on Saturday. Surely it would be easy running 6 x 1k intervals with recoveries in between? I even reduced the recoveries I had taken in the same session while training for Seville (2:30>2:00mins). How wrong I was! This was very, very, very difficult. I actually can't believe I ran at that pace last Saturday after this morning :confused:. The first interval felt ok, but I knew starting the second one that reducing the recovery time had been a mistake. It was too late to start again now though :(. Managed to hold the pace through that and the next two a little easier than expected. However the fifth & sixth were extremely painful. I needed to walk the recoveries after both of those while trying not to vomit at the same time. I was four seconds down on the last one with 200m to go, but couldn't allow myself to miss that having hit the others, so put everything I had left in the tank into hitting that and clawed it back to 3:26 :). Delighted with the session and happy with my decision to run on empty this morning, as I think my breakfast would be all over Clontarf promenade now if I'd eaten any!

Two thoughts for the day, one of which myself & Ferris B were discussing on our long run last week:

1. Training is not supposed to be easy
    2. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger (can also be applied to life in general)

I survived this morning and although I've got a lot of miles to cover in the next seven days, Longford is my next hard effort. Looking forward to that, although I'm not relishing the VO2 Max session (5 x 1200m) in a fortnight's time :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great session and result in Marley. I was doing a 10k type session last night and similar to yourself I just couldn't fathom how I strung 6 similar paced miles back to back just over a week ago, mad!

• Advertisement

Well done on hitting those splits. Although wish I hadn't read your post as I've to head out for this same session later. Can't wait.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Savage stuff, your recovery is unreal after the effort you put into Saturdays 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just a question as to why you'd want to do a VO2 max session just a few days after a hard vO2 max session (5k race?)

You're flying at the moment - no doubt...........but just be careful with the faster training!

Just a question as to why you'd want to do a VO2 max session just a few days after a hard vO2 max session (5k race?)

You're flying at the moment - no doubt...........but just be careful with the faster training!

I'm just blindly following the plan, and that's what it says.
    Who am I to argue? :p

Did the plan specify a 5k race for Sun? I think AMK is right to gently point out the risks here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement