Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Did the plan specify a 5k race for Sun? I think AMK is right to gently point out the risks here.

The plan had an 8-15k race scheduled for last Saturday. I only ran a 5k as I have the Longford HM this Sunday (switched this week & next week around). I think I'm supposed to be a bit tired completing some of these sessions, as it all stands to you even more when you're fresh come the marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Cumulative fatigue is what marathon training is all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm fatigued just reading about yaboya's exploits. :D

Wednesday 20th August (Day 17/56) - 16m Med/Long
    16 miles @ 7:55p/m average

Since my next scheduled rest day is not for another six days, I took a dublin runner style 'fake day off' with almost 36 hours between yesterday's session and today's. However it was more by necessity than design due to my working hours. I was feeling very tired & sore before I got under way and decided just to get this one done without worrying too much about the pace. Once I kept below 8 minute miles I'd be happy. Since I wasn't concentrating too much about the speed of the run, I needed something else to focus my mind on. After reading the thread about people who draw things when they run, I decided to try something out myself. This is for all visitors to Dublin who might get lost from time to time: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/569921497 :pac:. This was only supposed to be a 15 mile run, but I ended up doing 16 as I miscalculated where I'd finish. When I did finish (after some stretches), I amazingly felt much less sore than when I started. I don't feel tired now but I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:56
    Mile 2 - 7:59
    Mile 3 - 7:58
    Mile 4 - 8:04
    Mile 5 - 7:54
    Mile 6 - 8:01
    Mile 7 - 7:57
    Mile 8 - 7:57
    Mile 9 - 7:49
    Mile 10 - 7:46
    Mile 11 - 7:55
    Mile 12 - 7:55
    Mile 13 - 7:42
    Mile 14 - 7:51
    Mile 15 - 7:54
    Mile 16 - 7:58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A+ on the elephant there.
    No idea what is coming out of his head though. Has he got a bat on a lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

he's trying to spell something, what's that skip? who's fallen down the well?

menoscemo wrote: »
    A+ on the elephant there.
    No idea what is coming out of his head though. Has he got a bat on a lead?
    jebuz wrote: »
    he's trying to spell something, what's that skip? who's fallen down the well?

I'm assuming you're both joking but in case you're not, it's a W and an E signifying West & East ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you're both joking but in case you're not, it's a W and an E signifying West & East ;)

I wasn't joking!! I see the E now, but if you rotate the 'E' 90 degrees clockwise it definitely looks like an elephant, that's what I saw first.

Thursday 21st August (Day 18/56) - 6m Recovery, 4m Recovery

Nothing much to say about either of these, except that I wore sleeves both this morning & tonight and wasn't too warm. It seems the summer is most definitely over!

A.M.
    6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 8:42p/m average

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:47
    Mile 2 - 8:40
    Mile 3 - 8:34
    Mile 4 - 8:50
    Mile 5 - 8:35
    Mile 6 - 8:45

P.M.
    4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:45p/m average

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:37
    Mile 2 - 8:51
    Mile 3 - 8:52
    Mile 4 - 8:41

I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment, but I am in the middle of a demanding 8 days (83 miles) and have had to fit every run so far this week around long shifts in work. I always felt that this would be the most difficult part of the plan and it's proving to be so at this point. After next Monday, it begins to get that little bit easier in the run up to Berlin. There's light at the end of the tunnel......

Keep it up lad, your training has been brilliant. Fair play.

• Advertisement

Friday 22nd August (Day 19/56) - 12m Med/Long
    12 miles @ 7:46p/m average

I wasn't worrying about the pace today with Sunday's race in mind, so instead focused on finishing my compass. I nearly f*cked up the S by taking a wrong turn in the back streets of Dublin 8, but managed to correct it before it had any detrimental effects :). Here's my handiwork: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/570941073

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:51
    Mile 2 - 7:48
    Mile 3 - 7:42
    Mile 4 - 7:52
    Mile 5 - 7:46
    Mile 6 - 7:55
    Mile 7 - 7:55
    Mile 8 - 7:44
    Mile 9 - 7:40
    Mile 10 - 7:40
    Mile 11 - 7:40
    Mile 12 - 7:33

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Masterful !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Aren't you the right little artist.....nice work both in design and execution:)

Saturday 23rd August (Day 20/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:27p/m average

A few easy miles before work.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:26
    Mile 2 - 8:31
    Mile 3 - 8:39
    Mile 4 - 8:19
    Mile 5 - 8:19

Best of luck to all in the FD10 this morning!

Good luck tomorrow.....and as always enjoy!

All the best for tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Good luck tomorrow P. Don't stay up all night watching the golf!

Echo that - bring it home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

If tomorrow goes as well as your training has been going you'll have a great day. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Superb racing as always P, very well done.

9th place in 1:20:21.
    Delighted with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Good effort!

Another super performance and a top 10 into the bargain. Nice work, P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Fantastic run P.

Don't go ignoring us in years to come next year when you're gone elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Savage stuff - I'm finding the surprise factor is wearing off more and more on this log. I'm almost expecting these superb times these days

Animal. Well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Super stuff P.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Let's not go overboard though. Krusty finished 2nd, despite using the race as a training run (a la Marthastew). That puts upstarts like me in their place. When I start doing things like that, I might let my head grow a bit :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

1.20.21?! For a Half, right? (I lost the calendar plan somewhere) That's huge improvement. Congratulations.

Great result, P - very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Jaysus super running, congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb stuff yaboya - top ten too - some going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

well done, great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super run of form. Really exceptional stuff.

Garmin data from today: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/573165644

I've had too many PB beers to write a report now, so I'll do it tomorrow. The Garmin measured 13.04m, but I'm sure the course was spot on. It was measuring slightly long up until the turnaround at the bollard, so that's obviously what threw it off. I'm delighted with my run/result today. Felt everything went to plan and finally got that Portumna HM result out of my system. I'm convinced something wasn't right that day. Although 1:24 was a respectable result, I knew I was capable of better and feel like I righted that today.

I also notice I've been moved up to 8th and my chip time is 4 seconds faster (1:20:17) than the gun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Really fantastic stuff yesterday P, you're obviously getting the results from all the hard work you're putting but you've obviously got a talent for this running lark.

TbL

Sunday 24th August (Day 21/56) - 8-15k Tune-Up Race (9-13m total)
    13.1m @ 6:10p/m average (1:20:17)

My long term plan for Berlin has been to improve my PB's at all the shorter distances so that they equate to a mid 2:50's marathon. So far I'd managed to do this and had been happy with most of the results. However, the Portumna HM result has been grating away at me ever since I crossed the finish line. Although the 1:24:10 I ran there pointed to a 2:57 marathon, I was convinced I could go sub 1:23 that day and never fully worked out why I was so physically spent during/after that race. I needed to race another HM to get that out of my system and give me the confidence boost I wanted going to Germany. The target had now moved to sub 1:22 based on recent times and improved fitness. McMillan/Vdot suggested I could go sub 1:20, but at the end of a high mileage week I didn't want to be flogging myself in pursuit of this secondary goal. If it was still there for the taking late in the race, I'd give it a go though.

Pre- Race

I arose at 6:30am and got a nice big pre-race breakfast into me. Bowl of porridge, two bagels and a banana. Washed that down with a mug of coffee and sipped on a bottle of Lucozade all the way down in the car. I didn't feel 100%, but I find I'm always anxious about something on a race morning so maybe it's just nerves/butterflies. I felt exactly the same ahead of the 5k in Marlay last week, and ran as well as could have been expected there. I reminded myself of this and took it as a positive. In fact I was oozing with confidence going into this if I'm honest. I feel like my fitness has been improving from week to week, and unlike Portumna I hadn't had a drink in the previous 14 days (I think?). I was carbed up and well hydrated. No excuses and I didn't think I'd need any. Bumped into TbL in the car park before we picked up our numbers. He was his usual self-depreciating self, complimenting everyone else and downplaying his own running despite his current 30 day streak and excellent form in general. We went our separate ways coming out of the hall and said we'd see each other again before the race got under way. The most difficult part of my day came next, trying to attach the ridiculously robust race number to my t-shirt. It was made of some sort of reinforced cardboard. The four big safety pins that we were given all bent out of shape just trying to pry a hole in this monstrous rectangle. Anyway, after some messing around with that I was ready to head down to the start. Some dynamic stretches and a light jog into the town did the job. It was absolutely freezing yesterday morning. I knew I'd be fine once I got going, but standing around in this cold wasn't going to do me any good. I sought solace in the local hotel reception until about 10-15 minutes before the race was due to start. When I walked back out onto the main street I saw dublin runner (who was pacing 1:30) completing his warm-up. We had a quick chat before wishing each other well and getting into position. I lined up near the front beside Krusty, TbL & Pauline Curley. Exchanged hello's, good wishes with Krusty & TbL, while PC swotted a wasp that was flying around. She commented that a sting might put a 'pep in her step'. I was wondering how quick that would make her go, considering how fast she flew by me in Mullingar without that benefit. At least she was running the marathon here and was less likely to demoralise me mid-race! Clock struck 10am and after what seemed like a never ending ten second countdown, we were off!

The Race

Miles 1-5

I was hoping to hold 6:10-6:12 pace from the start. Even though I started pretty close to the front, I was still caught behind a few who shouldn't have been there. I knew Krusty was intending to run 5:50min/mile, so I sat in his slipstream allowing him to plot a path for me through the slower runners (Thanks Krusty :D). Once I got up to my required pace, I let him shoot off ahead to his eventual 2nd place (on a training run!!!). I was now upsides dublin runner, but didn't feel the need to pass him just yet. As we approached the end of the first mile having done a small loop in and out of the town I edged by him and said my goodbyes. I was moving really comfortably at this stage. PC got a shout out from the MC going through the town so she must have been right behind me. The marathon took a separate turn in the next mile though, so I didn't have to worry about her blitzing past me again. I was now about 30m behind a guy in a blue singlet. Pace was what it should have been, so I was happy enough to remain where I was. Field had thinned out a bit already. Through the second mile bang on target again. The third mile was around ten seconds slower on the watch, but the effort felt the same and I didn't feel like upping it at that early stage. I think the wind was hurting a bit here going through an industrial area, so I didn't panic knowing I could make up that time later on. We moved back down a country lane towards the main road and I was gradually reeling in the blue singlet. I tend to get complacent sitting behind other runners, so always find it better to pass as it keeps me more alert about my own pace. However, he seemed to be going along at my speed as although I was now within five metres, I wasn't making any more ground and we hit miles 4 & 5 bang on the money.

Miles 6-10

We came back out onto the main road now and through a roundabout. There was a water station directly after it. I didn't feel like taking on any fluids but the guy in front did and it slowed him a little. I decided I had to go on now so I passed him and tried to pick out my next target. The problem was that was a little hard to do as we were now mixed with Ultra runners moving much more slowly. Again, it can be easy to get complacent here as you're passing a lot of people and could even be slowing down while doing so. I made sure to keep an eye on the watch in this section as we negotiated that two mile stretch. Then the split came. We turned right, while the Ultra continued straight on. I saw my next target 100m ahead. Another blue singlet, with a white t-shirt just in front of him. I made huge inroads on them over the next mile and they were within striking distance by the time we passed the 8m marker. I saw a hill coming up and decided to make my move, I put my head down and flew past both of them climbing the hill. I was still only holding my target pace, but they must have slowed considerably there as I didn't see them again until the turnaround in Mile 11 when they were 200m behind me. Few ups and downs here and I was starting to tire. Started playing a few mental games with myself to keep me going. The longer I hold the target pace, the harder it is to f*ck it up. Imagine if I hold it through Mile 11 I can run 2 x 6:30's and still run sub 1:22. Come on. You have this. This kept me going until I caught sight of the next two runners ahead coming down to the turnaround. Still on target through Mile 10.

Miles 11-Finish

I've noticed in recent races that I suffer from a positive type of paranoia. If I'm comfortably holding my target pace, I trot along happily without worrying too much. However, when I start to get tired, I get so paranoid about the pace dropping that I start to speed up. This is exactly what happened in the closing miles of this race. I should have known my target was in the bag at this stage, but fatigue was starting to set in. I felt like the pace was becoming a struggle. We came down to the turnaround and I saw the two guys ahead of me looking very strong as they passed me on the opposite side. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be challenging them as they had more than 100m on me and looked far stronger too. At the same point a few seconds later, I saw the guys I had passed moving down behind me and worried that they'd notice how tired I looked and start to attack. I hit Mile 11 in 6:17, my slowest mile for a while. I should have realised at the time that this wasn't bad at all considering the difficulty of this mile, but I didn't. I started to really put down the hammer amongst the twists & turns in Miles 12. Suddenly as we came back out onto the main road I realised not only had I moved further ahead of my pursuers, but I had gained significant ground on the two comfortable looking guys ahead of me. I was only 50m behind the first guy and 100m down on the second. Through mile 12 well below target pace. I was really starting to fly now and gaining fast on these two as a result. As we moved closer to the town, I still believed that if I challenged, they'd both respond immediately and put me in my place for being so cheeky. However, there was only one way to find out :). I decided to give it a go. The target time was in the bag and I knew I had sub 1:21 sewn up too at this stage. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. I looked down at my pace here. 5:48! I couldn't believe it. I started to get a second wind The thought of the finish and making up a couple of positions here really spurred me on. I moved up alongside the first guy cresting the hill on the approach into the town. Passed by him awaiting his response. It never came. I knew I had him then and started wondering could I possibly reel the other guy in? He was still 50m ahead with a half mile to go. We were on a sweeping right turn that took a sharp left into the main street. I thought if I could get by him before the turn, I could take the inside line there and kick off the bend for a 200-300m sprint finish which would make me difficult to pass. I ate up the ground within 200m and passed him 30m short of the turn. When I hit the main street, I bolted up towards the finish line as fast as I possibly could. I've no idea where this energy came from. Must be the thrill of the chase? When I could see nobody out in the country ten minutes previously I was panicking about the guys behind me. I flew in under the gantry absolutely ecstatic with my run. Really happy with my time, but also delighted to get that Portumna monkey off my back. It's the one race I've run this year that I haven't been happy with.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:13
    Mile 2 - 6:11
    Mile 3 - 6:22
    Mile 4 - 6:14
    Mile 5 - 6:10
    Mile 6 - 6:14
    Mile 7 - 6:10
    Mile 8 - 6:05
    Mile 9 - 6:06
    Mile 10 - 6:10
    Mile 11 - 6:17
    Mile 12 - 6:09
    Mile 13 - 5:49
    0.04 - 0:12

*I negative splitted again here too which I'm really pleased about. Felt I ran a perfect race. Just need to do that in the marathon now :D

Post Race

I felt unbelievably fresh when I finished this. In Portumna I was flat on my back for fifteen minutes afterwards. I actually felt like could have kept going here if I needed too. I spotted Krusty on the massage table who informed me of his excellent 'training' run. I also took advantage of a free massage despite the fact that when the masseur asked "Where does it hurt?", I said "Nowhere. I feel great" :pac:. TbL appeared soon after absolutely annihilating his pre-race target of 1:28, before dublin runner brought the 1:30 bus home. After a little chat with the lads I set off on a few warm down miles with KC & dr, before heading back to the leisure centre for a quick shower. I bumped into Tigerandahalf here, who shouldn't have any problem running a comfortable sub 3:30 marathon after his sub 1:30 here. I didn't bother staying around for the post-race refreshments as they weren't starting until 12:30 and I was in a hurry to hit the road. As I drove out of the town I passed Freddy Situk and Gary O'Hanlon completing the final half mile of the marathon, so I knew that result before everyone else :p. Wasn't surprised to see PC won the women's race either.

Thoughts

This was the final race in my Berlin prep and it couldn't have gone any better. I ran a time I'm delighted with, but didn't completely flog myself which makes me even more confident about the marathon. I've got five weeks of training left, but yesterday and the big MP session I've got in two weeks were the two most important workouts remaining so I feel once I keep everything ticking over, I've done all I can to guarantee a positive run in Berlin. The highlight of the day for me was when I asked KC & dr what they thought about my sub 3 prospects in Berlin. They laughed in my face (I'm hoping that's a good sign) :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Great report and race. Nice to meet you again. I think you are due a brilliant race in Berlin (I say that knowing you won't get complacent!) As you weeks go by and you get closer to the marathon, your race day tactics will take shape. Don't concern yourself just yet with that. It's important now to keep the discipline and keep up the great work. Roll on Berlin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done again on a great result. I feel I should point out that just because it was a training run, doesn't mean that I wasn't running close to race pace! The fact that I recorded a 10-12 second PB says it all really, and the variance between what I ran yesterday and what I'd potentially really like to run is probably a difference of just 6-10 seconds per mile.

On the targets front, I ran 20 seconds faster than you for a HM in August 2011 (1:19:48), and a two months later, ran 2:48 in Chicago, on a very hot day. That was my second 2:48 marathon (having run the time in Berlin the previous year), so you're in really solid shape for your target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Nice report and hats off for an well judged and intelligently run race. It's a great sign to be finishing strong like that, to be the one doing the overtaking in the latter stages when the going gets tough. The key now is to hang on to what you've got, you're in a great place so keep doing what you're doing in training and you'll bring home the bacon in Berlin, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Fair play yaboya1, with a strong finish like that there's surely a sub 80 in the tank. What is your marathon target?

Well done again on a great result. I feel I should point out that just because it was a training run, doesn't mean that I wasn't running close to race pace! The fact that I recorded a 10-12 second PB says it all really, and the variance between what I ran yesterday and what I'd potentially really like to run is probably a difference of just 6-10 seconds per mile.

On the targets front, I ran 20 seconds faster than you for a HM in August 2011 (1:19:48), and a two months later, ran 2:48 in Chicago, on a very hot day. That was my second 2:48 marathon (having run the time in Berlin the previous year), so you're in really solid shape for your target.

All nice to know. I'll take it on board and make a final decision before I line up in Berlin.
    jebuz wrote: »
    Nice report and hats off for an well judged and intelligently run race. It's a great sign to be finishing strong like that, to be the one doing the overtaking in the latter stages when the going gets tough. The key now is to hang on to what you've got, you're in a great place so keep doing what you're doing in training and you'll bring home the bacon in Berlin, no doubt.

Thanks. You ran a hell of a race yourself on Saturday. I might see you at the DCM (on the start line!) :)
    pa4 wrote: »
    Fair play yaboya1, with a strong finish like that there's surely a sub 80 in the tank. What is your marathon target?

Yeah, I think I'll target something like that in my next half. The original target was sub 3, but that's starting to look a bit soft......

Fair play, P. Another great race and report. It is getting to the point where I am nearly more excited about what you might achieve in Berlin than my own result.....nearly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow, what a race and what a report. That last mile! So well deserved. I'm looking forward to your marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Different league now. As if your confidence needed boosting!

Loved that report. Very wise strategy adopted at the outset recognizing the miles that were in your legs. Some nice observations on how you perceive runners around you near the end of the race - runners ahead looking stronger and ready to put you in your place should you dare challenge them, runners behind sensing you weakening. I find I think the same (only a fair bit further down the field). I like the way you recognized and decided to challenge these perceptions I think I'll draw on this next time I'm admiring the 'stronger' runners ahead of me near race-end.

Well done. Great run. Great time. Really keeping fingers crossed for you now ahead of Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I have a new word for your race/report this time ..... phenomenal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

That was a wonderful run, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done yaboya! You have me passed out!! That is some progress you have made in 10 months!! Savage.

I know you won't but I'll say it anyway, keep your eyes focused on the prize now. Prepare as well as you can all the things that are in your control (which you are doing).

I ran 1:21 half before for my first sub 3 attempt, things didn't work out too well for me that time! So anything can happen, but right now though you are more of a cert to nail it that I was then. Try not to overcook it, the hay is in the barn.

Advertisement