Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Monday 25th August (Day 22/56) - 17m Long Run
    17 miles @ 7:56p/m average

After yesterday's race and a total of 85 miles since last Sunday, I thought (and had been advised) to take this one easy. Plan was to hang around the 8min/mile mark for the entire workout. Managed it pretty well throughout. Lovely day for it :p. Reminded me of some of my long runs for Seville during the winter. Absolutely manky outside. I was completely saturated from head to toe from the minute I started. In some sort of weird sadistic way though, I thoroughly enjoyed it and ran through the lashings of rain, splashing in puddles with a big stupid smile on my face, while the general public around me were doing their best to keep dry. They must have thought I was completely nuts. I avoided running by Grangegorman in case they took me inside :pac:. No more running until Wednesday evening now, which gives me a full two days off.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:01
    Mile 2 - 7:59
    Mile 3 - 7:59
    Mile 4 - 8:03
    Mile 5 - 7:57
    Mile 6 - 7:46
    Mile 7 - 7:51
    Mile 8 - 7:54
    Mile 9 - 7:55
    Mile 10 - 7:56
    Mile 11 - 7:59
    Mile 12 - 7:56
    Mile 13 - 7:59
    Mile 14 - 7:57
    Mile 15 - 7:46
    Mile 16 - 7:58
    Mile 17 - 7:55

blockic wrote: »
    Well done yaboya! You have me passed out!! That is some progress you have made in 10 months!! Savage.

I know you won't but I'll say it anyway, keep your eyes focused on the prize now. Prepare as well as you can all the things that are in your control (which you are doing).

I ran 1:21 half before for my first sub 3 attempt, things didn't work out too well for me that time! So anything can happen, but right now though you are more of a cert to nail it that I was then. Try not to overcook it, the hay is in the barn.

Chicago last year was a big turning point for me. That was my third marathon and I had only made a five minute improvement on my first. I used to think that guys who ran sub 3 marathons were sub-human freaks, as I could never sustain a sub 7 minute pace for that distance. They were obviously born with a gift for the sport. I definitely wasn't, as I was trying my heart out to run the times I was doing. I thought sub 3:20 was the fastest I could ever hope for when I eventually got the 3:30 monkey off my back. The reason I thought this was I met a guy who seemed like me playing golf one day who told me he'd run 3:19. But then I met the Pi$$ ARTists :D.
    RFR told me his first marathon time was similar to mine and with proper training I could definitely get down below three hours if I was willing to put the work in. He's been a constant voice of reason and sound advice ever since then. Although I didn't speak to you much over there (you were in bed :pac:), you had run at around my level a year previous, had just run 2:58 and deserved that sort of time 6 months earlier. Peckham (who had paced 3:30 when I ran Dublin) explained that most pacers ran marathons at their long run pace. Up until then my long run pace was the same as my recovery run pace, which was also the same as my five mile pace etc. (point being I ran every run at the same pace - as fast as I could!) but if Peckham (also ran 2:58) runs slower on long runs, I thought maybe that's something I should take on board. TheBoyWonder assured me that I could definitely go quicker too as he had run 3:12 having been a similar level to me also, while some really interesting and important points were hammered home to me by belcarra & DukeOfDromada a few days later over a few many beers. DoD was another who had run a similar time to me in his first marathon and he'd just gone 2:52. What this made me realise was that sub 3 hour marathoners were not sub-human freaks. They were people like me who trained better/more intelligently to improve their times way more significantly than I did. I still wasn't 100% convinced until I started to follow a proper plan. It didn't take long for the penny to drop. That's my story. No secret. Just hard work and intelligent training. If I hadn't read boards and signed up to join the Pi$$ ARTists this time last year though, I think I might have still been struggling to break 3:30. I owe you all a drink ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice post P.

Pi$$ ARTists?
    Think I must have missed that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Absolutely superb stuff once again. Running out of adjectives to describe your relentless rate of improvement. Well done :)

Nice post P.

Pi$$ ARTists?
    Think I must have missed that post?

That was the name of the boards team in Chicago. 'We' came 3rd in the team competition.

*I had nothing to do with the team placing third. The four lads running sub 3 took care of that. I did still get an umbrella though, which I haven't received yet. Could have done with it today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Well done on another super time! The rate you are improving is remarkable. You've obviously got some natural ability but your consistent work and positive attitude is reaping you the rewards.

As well as been convinced you could easily run sub 3:30 and beyond I made another statement which the two of ye laughed in my face about. At the rate you are going you are going to prove me correct and get there way before me :). (Should've put a bet on back then :rolleyes:.) Get to Berlin healthy and great things will happen.

Tuesday 26th August (Day 23/56) - Rest/Cross Training

No running today. Legs a little bit sore after a tough week, but no niggles or injuries to complain about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

yaboya1 wrote: »
    That was the name of the boards team in Chicago. 'We' came 3rd in the team competition.

*I had nothing to do with the team placing third. The four lads running sub 3 took care of that. I did still get an umbrella though, which I haven't received yet. Could have done with it today!

I always travel with two in my car:D so next race you see me at grab one.
    Or else I'll bring one for you to Berlin!!

PS - My free drink will be a keg of the local Weissbier!;)

Wednesday 27th August (Day 24/56) - 9m (with 5 x 600m @ VO2Max)

3.01m warm-up

5 x 600m splits (with 1:30min recovery)

1 - 2:06
    2 - 2:10
    3 - 2:04
    4 - 2:03
    5 - 2:01

3.37m cool down

After a race on Sunday and a 17m long run on Monday, I was very tired and sore yesterday. Although the soreness had gone by this morning, I was still knackered and really struggled to get out of bed before work today. As a result, I knew I was going to find this difficult tonight. As soon as I arrived home, I got changed and headed straight back out the door before I had a chance to get comfortable on the sofa. With a 5k pace of 3:27min/km, that meant the splits tonight should be 2:04 for each 600m. I wasn't going to stress too much if I couldn't quite hit them, but knew I'd be very pleased if I could considering how I felt. After almost 3.5m warming up, I got stuck into the first interval. To my disappointment, as soon as I hit the coast I was greeted by a strong headwind. Despite this I held the correct pace for the majority of the 600, but eased up slightly too soon to come in a couple of seconds over. The second one was almost impossible. This was right into the teeth of the gale. I put in what I considered to be harder than 5k effort here, but when I looked at the watch I was up around 3:37min/km pace. I knew it was pointless pushing any more as I'd wear myself out for the remaining three, and may not get back to 3:27 pace anyway which would be pretty demoralising. I kept the effort constant and came in a little above the target. It was definitely the hardest one of the five. I turned back with the wind for the next two and completed both those pretty comfortably on pace. The last one was more against than anything else, but I knew I'd no more to do after that and made sure to come in below. Happy with the session overall as I felt pretty lethargic even doing the warm up, so it could have been a lot worse.

Just to put my mind at ease, I read back on my log from the same week in the plan while training for Seville. These are my own comments and ger664's reply:
    Thursday 30th January (Day 60/84) - Rest/Cross Training

Felt really tired and lethargic all day today. Very happy that I didn't have a run planned. Spent some time in the evening foam-rolling and stretching. The physio gave me an additional exercise to perform last Monday to enhance the flexibility in my hips. They're both stiffer than ideal, especially the left side, so I've added this to my stretching cycle.

Friday 31st January (Day 61/84) - 11m @ M/L Pace
    11 miles @ 8:51p/m average

Still not feeling 100% today. Probably still suffering from the after effects of the VO2 Max Session on Wednesday. Not the worst thing to be a little tired on these runs though, as it prevents the urge to run too fast.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:55
    Mile 2 - 9:00
    Mile 3 - 8:49
    Mile 4 - 8:56
    Mile 5 - 8:49
    Mile 6 - 8:50
    Mile 7 - 8:42
    Mile 8 - 8:53
    Mile 9 - 8:49
    Mile 10 - 8:50
    Mile 11 - 8:46
    ger664 wrote: »
    Im doing the same plan and feeling the same way. Last weeks race, Long run the night after with the mid week VO2 max have left my legs quite dead/tired as well.

This convinces me that I'm supposed to be feeling this way and it's nothing to worry about. As I've said before, What doesn't kill you make you stronger :).
    14 miles tomorrow.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Thought that was a race report with the length of it! ;)

• Advertisement

Thursday 28th August (Day 25/56) - 14m Med/Long
    14 miles @ 7:14p/m average

I was expecting the legs to be heavy and the body to be tired to today, so wasn't entirely relishing this session. However, I woke up this morning feeling as fresh as a daisy and couldn't wait to get going :). Maybe there's something in what dublin runner was saying in his log the other day about the speed sessions waking up the legs? Anyway, since I felt so good I decided to run this as a progression run in three separate sections:

First 4m: Sub 7:40min/mile
    Next 5m: Sub 7:20min/mile
    Last 5m: Sub 7:00min/mile

I had plotted a route for myself that looped around Griffith & Collins Avenue, then down the Howth Road before turning back for the last five miles straight along the coast. The first nine miles were easy and I expect the last five wouldn't have been too much bother either, only for another coastal breeze that happened to be blowing straight in my face. As a result the final section was more difficult than expected, but I managed to hold pace. A couple of easy days ahead of me now before a 20 miler on Sunday. I'll probably run that session in a similar way to today (either 6/7/7 or 7/7/6).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:33
    Mile 2 - 7:38
    Mile 3 - 7:36
    Mile 4 - 7:33
    Mile 5 - 7:16
    Mile 6 - 7:17
    Mile 7 - 7:17
    Mile 8 - 7:14
    Mile 9 - 7:14
    Mile 10 - 6:57
    Mile 11 - 6:56
    Mile 12 - 6:52
    Mile 13 - 6:55
    Mile 14 - 6:57

Friday 29th August (Day 26/56) - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:15p/m average

Got this one in early after a good night's sleep. I see yesterday was only a temporary reprieve from the awful weather we've been having. Saturated from head to toe yet again!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:31
    Mile 2 - 8:19
    Mile 3 - 8:39
    Mile 4 - 8:27
    Mile 5 - 8:23
    Mile 6 - 7:12*

*Strides in the last mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Friday 29th August (Day 26/56) - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:15p/m average

Got this one in early after a good night's sleep. I see yesterday was only a temporary reprieve from the awful weather we've been having. Saturated from head to toe yet again!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:31
    Mile 2 - 8:19
    Mile 4 - 8:27
    Mile 5 - 8:23
    Mile 6 - 7:12*

There was no rain between 7am and 8am....you just didn't get out early enough;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    There was no rain between 7am and 8am....you just didn't get early enough;)

When I say early, I mean before midday :D

Saturday 30th August (Day 27/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:48p/m average

Needed to get out pre-dawn if I wanted to get this one in today. Like FBOT01 the other day, the bed almost won this battle but I managed to extract myself eventually. Still asleep in the first mile as you can see from the split. The rest of the run was pretty horrible too. Augurs well for a nice session in the morning given my penchant for awful recovery runs the night before a good one :pac:.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:23
    Mile 2 - 8:32
    Mile 3 - 8:50
    Mile 4 - 8:44
    Mile 5 - 8:30

Sunday 31st August (Day 28/56) - 20m Long Run
    20 miles @ 7:07p/m average

My prep for this run was far from ideal. Up at 6am for my recovery run yesterday, working all day, on the beer all night, then rounded it off with a Supermacs meal on the way home :eek:. I didn't sleep well either. Trying my best not to make it any worse, I got up at 7am and drank a pint of water with my breakfast (porridge, banana & coffee) just to try and ensure I wasn't totally dehydrated. I felt a bit queasy getting going, but ok. I stuck to the original plan of running this progressively.

Targets were:

First 7m: Sub 7:30min/mile
    Next 7m: Sub 7:10min/mile
    Last 6m: Sub 6:50min/mile

I had arranged to meet dublin runner in the PP this morning, so got my first four miles in en route. Felt better the further I went and the miles passed by so much quicker in company, as was the case with Ferris B a few weeks back too. We took in he Chapelizod Hill and the steep incline on Infirmary Road which caused a couple of the splits to be slightly above the target, but I more than made up for that in the other miles when coming back downhill. With three miles to go I said my goodbyes to dr and made my way back home. I was starting to tire towards the end, but managed to stay on pace until completion. It's very warm out there today, a pleasant change from some of the conditions we had earlier in the week. Good practice ahead of what we might get on the day in Berlin :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:22
    Mile 2 - 7:27
    Mile 3 - 7:26
    Mile 4 - 7:28
    Mile 5 - 7:23
    Mile 6 - 7:27
    Mile 7 - 7:24
    Mile 8 - 7:01
    Mile 9 - 7:06
    Mile 10 - 7:05
    Mile 11 - 7:08
    Mile 12 - 7:12
    Mile 13 - 7:08
    Mile 14 - 7:14
    Mile 15 - 6:54
    Mile 16 - 6:44
    Mile 17 - 6:45
    Mile 18 - 6:42
    Mile 19 - 6:43
    Mile 20 - 6:48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

My prep for this run was far from ideal. Up at 6am for my recovery run yesterday, working all day, on the beer all night, then rounded it off with a Supermacs meal on the way home :eek:. I didn't sleep well either. Trying my best not to make it any worse, I got up at 7am and drank a pint of water with my breakfast (porridge, banana & coffee) just to try and ensure I wasn't totally dehydrated. I felt a bit queasy getting going, but ok. I stuck to the original plan of running this progressively.

Targets were:

I had arranged to meet dublin runner in the PP this morning, so got my first four miles in en route. Felt better the further I went and the miles passed by so much quicker in company, as was the case with Ferris B a few weeks back too. We took in he Chapelizod Hill and the steep incline on Infirmary Road which caused a couple of the splits to be slightly above the target, but I more than made up for that in the other miles when coming back downhill. With three miles to go I said my goodbyes to dr and made my way back home. I was starting to tire towards the end, but managed to stay on pace until completion. It's very warm out there today, a pleasant change from some of the conditions we had earlier in the week. Good practice ahead of what we might get on the day in Berlin :).

Splits:

A night on the beer, fast food, feeling slightly sick and you still bash out 6 MPM at the end of a 20, only one thing to say..................fock you P :)

Super stuff!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Targets were:

Splits:

Jes I'm feeling queasy myself thinking about it. Fair play to you.

Another good session P. Keep it going.

TbL, they weren't MP miles for him;)

Another solid month in the bank. Just the one tough week of training left before I start to taper for Berlin.

Month|Mileage
    January|229
    February|151
    March|166
    April|201
    May|160
    June|230
    July|235
    August|284

Total Yearly Mileage to 31st August: 1,656

I'm due a rest day tomorrow and could probably do with it if I'm honest. However, I'm scheduled for an a.m./p.m. recovery double on Tuesday which doesn't really suit, so I might go Monday p.m. & Tuesday a.m. with those miles instead. Although I'll officially have no rest day then, it will be close to 36 hours since my 20 miler so I don't see it doing any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

It just gets better and better. Great session.
    It was noted that you didn't dump DR with 5 m to go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

It was noted that you didn't dump DR with 5 m to go.

Ferris B wrote: »
    It was noted that you didn't dump DR with 5 m to go.:D

I tried a few times, but he kept chasing me down :pac::pac:

Super long run. Solid shape.

Monday 1st September (Day 29/56) - 6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 8:44p/m average

Left this until late, as I wanted as big a gap as possible between tonight and yesterday's 20 miler. Lovely night for a run. Another four recovery miles in the morning before a long overdue rub-down.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:41
    Mile 2 - 8:51
    Mile 3 - 8:42
    Mile 4 - 8:34
    Mile 5 - 8:51
    Mile 6 - 8:45

Tuesday 2nd September (Day 30/56) - 4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:38p/m average

Had a rub down booked with ecoli before work, so had to get out on the road by 7am for this one.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:58
    Mile 2 - 8:29
    Mile 4 - 8:28

Calves a little bit sore now after my massage, but that's to be expected. I'm going to leave tomorrow's workout until the evening time which should allow the muscles ample time to recover and alleviate any residual soreness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some Long run. I'm too old now for beering night before any run! Never mind long runs!

blockic wrote: »
    Some Long run. I'm too old now for beering night before any run! Never mind long runs!

But you're younger than me? :pac:

Wednesday 3rd September (Day 31/56) - 11m (with 5 x 1,200m @ VO2Max)

3.12m warm-up

5 x 1,200m splits (with 3:00min recovery)

1 - 4:12
    2 - 4:09
    3 - 4:06
    4 - 4:08
    5 - 4:06

2.42m cool down

Today was a very good day :)
    I decided to play golf this morning before attempting this session in the evening. Beat my handicap out on the course for the first time in 2014 (I think? My commitment to running has been detrimental to my golf game :(). I probably won't win the comp, but I had realistic chances and it was nice to be in contention again after so long out of form.
    Anyway, on to the running!
    I've been dreading this session for the last two weeks. The 6x1k is a hard workout, but this is definitely comparable and arguably more difficult. Although I felt great crossing the line in Longford, I was wiped out for a fair few days afterwards and I think the same can be said for my 20 mile run last Sunday. Coming into today off the back of some sluggish recovery runs, I think it's fair to say I wasn't oozing with confidence. The fact that it was a warm, heavy, humid day outside didn't make it any more appealing either. Experience has taught me that VO2 Max sessions are far more strenuous than golf, and I was pumping sweat walking off the 18th green! I thought about putting it off until later tonight, but I'm pretty much the opposite of a procrastinator and decided to get it over with asap. I was originally thinking of trying the Kilbarrack track for this, but it was approaching rush hour and I didn't fancy sitting in traffic. I went straight to the Lucan cinder track instead, since I was in the area and had brought my gear with me. Did a little warm up around Griffeen Valley, before entering the 400m oval and getting started. Had the place to myself apart from an elderly man who was walking laps, but still showing excellent etiquette by doing them in the outside lane. As I was feeling so sluggish/tired I decided that 3:30min/km pace would be ok, as there was no point in flogging myself with the marathon fast approaching and most of the hard work done. I completed the first three laps bang on target pace and felt much better than expected doing so. Decided then and there if the second one went as well I'd try to step up the pace to my 5k effort (3:27) for the last three reps. Comfortable again for the second rep and quickened up for the last lap, but not quite enough to hit the 4:08 required to be on 5k pace. Although I was happy with the first two reps, I knew I had been too conservative. This was easier than it should have been. 4:08 was the minimum acceptable for the final three. Felt like I gave these all equal effort, but maybe the wind picked up on the fourth one? Didn't feel like it should have been two seconds slower effort wise. Still on target though :). Finished off with a few more laps of the track and a couple of miles outside to cool down.
    I am over the moon with this. I was really expecting to struggle today and it has been the workout I've been least looking forward to since I started following this plan. Instead I got through it comfortably and didn't have to walk in any of my recoveries (possibly for the first time ever in a VO2 Max session). To say I'm psyched is an understatement. The only thing that could make my day any better is a phone call informing me of a victory in this morning's golf :P.
    Going to take it easy in the next few days on my M/L/GA/Recovery runs. I'm very much looking forward to completing the big MP run on Sunday. Bring it on!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 3rd September (Day 31/56) - 11m (with 5 x 1,200m @ VO2Max)

3.12m warm-up

5 x 1,200m splits (with 3:00min recovery)

1 - 4:12
    2 - 4:09
    3 - 4:06
    4 - 4:08
    5 - 4:06

2.42m cool down

Today was a very good day :)
    I decided to play golf this morning before attempting this session in the evening. Beat my handicap out on the course for the first time in 2014 (I think? My commitment to running has been detrimental to my golf game :(). I probably won't win the comp, but I had realistic chances and it was nice to be in contention again after so long out of form.
    Anyway, on to the running!
    I've been dreading this session for the last two weeks. The 6x1k is a hard workout, but this is definitely comparable and arguably more difficult. Although I felt great crossing the line in Longford, I was wiped out for a fair few days afterwards and I think the same can be said for my 20 mile run last Sunday. Coming into today off the back of some sluggish recovery runs, I think it's fair to say I wasn't oozing with confidence. The fact that it was a warm, heavy, humid day outside didn't make it any more appealing either. Experience has taught me that VO2 Max sessions are far more strenuous than golf, and I was pumping sweat walking off the 18th green! I thought about putting it off until later tonight, but I'm pretty much the opposite of a procrastinator and decided to get it over with asap. I was originally thinking of trying the Kilbarrack track for this, but it was approaching rush hour and I didn't fancy sitting in traffic. I went straight to the Lucan cinder track instead, since I was in the area and had brought my gear with me. Did a little warm up around Griffeen Valley, before entering the 400m oval and getting started. Had the place to myself apart from an elderly man who was walking laps, but still showing excellent etiquette by doing them in the outside lane. As I was feeling so sluggish/tired I decided that 3:30min/km pace would be ok, as there was no point in flogging myself with the marathon fast approaching and most of the hard work done. I completed the first three laps bang on target pace and felt much better than expected doing so. Decided then and there if the second one went as well I'd try to step up the pace to my 5k effort (3:27) for the last three reps. Comfortable again for the second rep and quickened up for the last lap, but not quite enough to hit the 4:08 required to be on 5k pace. Although I was happy with the first two reps, I knew I had been too conservative. This was easier than it should have been. 4:08 was the minimum acceptable for the final three. Felt like I gave these all equal effort, but maybe the wind picked up on the fourth one? Didn't feel like it should have been two seconds slower effort wise. Still on target though :). Finished off with a few more laps of the track and a couple of miles outside to cool down.
    I am over the moon with this. I was really expecting to struggle today and it has been the workout I've been least looking forward to since I started following this plan. Instead I got through it comfortably and didn't have to walk in any of my recoveries (possibly for the first time ever in a VO2 Max session). To say I'm psyched is an understatement. The only thing that could make my day any better is a phone call informing me of a victory in this morning's golf :P.
    Going to take it easy in the next few days on my M/L/GA/Recovery runs. I'm very much looking forward to completing the big MP run on Sunday. Bring it on!

Nicely done but more importantly did you get the phone call?

Nicely done but more importantly did you get the phone call?

I'm not expecting one tbh. I'd be very surprised if I won.
    Happy enough with the day anyway :)

Edit: Beaten by one point!! :(

I'm not expecting one tbh. I'd be very surprised if I won.
    Happy enough with the day anyway :)

Edit: Beaten by one point!! :(

Bummer. Nice to be in the hunt though.

Thursday 4th September (Day 32/56) - 14m Med/Long
    14 miles @ 7:56p/m average

Felt a bit stiff & sore before heading out for this today, so I gave myself two simple targets:

1. Get it done
    2. Don't do anything stupid!

I accomplished part 1 fairly easily, but failed twice on part 2 :(. Planned to run all the miles around the 8 minute mark. No progressive running today after a hard session yesterday. Had a vague route planned out in my head, but would play it by ear as I went along. Anyway, managed to keep the splits consistent and got the run completed even though it was more difficult than expected. Suppose I'm just more worn out than I thought I was! Now for the story in between. I realised my first act of stupidity as soon as I got out of the shade along the coast. The sun was beaming down and I had worn a black t-shirt. Very unwise! Caused me to sweat a lot more than necessary and made the workout more strenuous than it needed to be. I continued to knock out the splits on target until the Garmin beeped around 6.3m into the run to warn me of a low battery. I hadn't charged it since the weekend so I suppose this was inevitable, especially after the interval session yesterday. Not quite stupidity but bad preparation nonetheless. The real idiocy is yet to come. I thought that it should get to at least 7 miles before conking out, so I decided to take a U-turn at that point and retrace my steps to there at the same effort which would bring me up to the 14 miles required. I was running along the same section of path that the Clontarf HM uses at this point. I was watching the Garmin so carefully, waiting for it to strike 7.00miles, that I failed to make myself aware of what was around me. As I swung the U-turn into the cycle lane I heard a roar and saw (too late) a cyclist flying straight for me. A head on collision followed. He flew off the bike and I was hit in the legs and shoulder. He asked me was I ok and said he hadn't time to stop, but to be fair he had nothing to apologise for as it was completely my fault. I made sure that he was ok, before setting off for the second half of my run. Luckily neither of us were any worse off after the crash. I made sure not to be so silly on the way back. Retraced my steps to the milimetre, but amazingly the Garmin lasted out the full distance meaning there was no need for all this messing around. Another day out of the way without getting injured (just about! :p).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:03
    Mile 2 - 8:00
    Mile 3 - 7:57
    Mile 4 - 7:57
    Mile 5 - 7:56
    Mile 6 - 7:55
    Mile 7 - 7:58
    Mile 8 - 7:56
    Mile 9 - 7:51
    Mile 10 - 7:53
    Mile 11 - 7:55
    Mile 12 - 7:51
    Mile 13 - 7:54
    Mile 14 - 7:55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Point 2 reminds of the poor guy that broke his ankle in a pot hole the day before in Seville. You will need 4 sets of eyes in your head once the taper begins :)

Close call, P. The speed of some of the cyclists along that cycle lane is mad so could have been a nasty one.....no harm done on this occasion so onward and upward. Nice solid run.

• Advertisement

Close call, P. The speed of some of the cyclists along that cycle lane is mad so could have been a nasty one.....no harm done on this occasion so onward and upward. Nice solid run.

He was fairly moving alright, but had slammed on the brakes to try and avoid a collision. I think he came out of it worse off than me which isn't really fair considering it was my fault :(

Close call.

But why is it, everytime I see that others have commented on your log I think "Yaboya must have done another PB........better have a look" :D

Close call.

But why is it, everytime I see that others have commented on your log I think "Yaboya must have done another PB........better have a look" :D

Make sure to check back here on the 28th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

He was fairly moving alright, but had slammed on the brakes to try and avoid a collision. I think he came out of it worse off than me which isn't really fair considering it was my fault :(

He will be on Joe Duffy tomorrow complaining about a running lunatic in the cycle lane!

Friday 5th September (Day 33/56) - 8m General Aerobic (with 8 x 100m Strides)
    8 miles @ 7:35p/m average

On paper, this looks like a relatively simple workout. However, in the midst of all this training I'm not finding anything easy at the moment. I wouldn't be a big sleeper, but last night I was unconscious for 10/11 hours and still woke up knackered! I struggled in the first couple of miles this morning but got stronger and more comfortable the further I went, which I suppose is a positive in terms of the marathon. Keep telling myself once I get through my MP run on Sunday I'm into the home straight. Can't wait for my rest day on Monday though. The thought of that is what's keeping me going in my current fatigued state :pac:.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:45
    Mile 2 - 7:50
    Mile 3 - 7:41
    Mile 4 - 7:45
    Mile 5 - 7:37
    Mile 6 - 7:42
    Mile 7 - 7:42
    Mile 8 - 6:38*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

As I was feeling so sluggish/tired I decided that 3:30min/km pace would be ok, as there was no point in flogging myself

:eek:

Another confidence boosting session. And the impressive training block continues.

Friday 5th September (Day 33/56) - 8m General Aerobic (with 8 x 100m Strides)
    8 miles @ 7:35p/m average

On paper, this looks like a relatively simple workout. However, in the midst of all this training I'm not finding anything easy at the moment. I wouldn't be a big sleeper, but last night I was unconscious for 10/11 hours and still woke up knackered! I struggled in the first couple of miles this morning but got stronger and more comfortable the further I went, which I suppose is a positive in terms of the marathon. Keep telling myself once I get through my MP run on Sunday I'm into the home straight. Can't wait for my rest day on Monday though. The thought of that is what's keeping me going in my current fatigued state :pac:.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:45
    Mile 2 - 7:50
    Mile 3 - 7:41
    Mile 4 - 7:45
    Mile 5 - 7:37
    Mile 6 - 7:42
    Mile 7 - 7:42
    Mile 8 - 6:38*

Just so you know you are not alone, the same run yesterday was a real slog for me. I only did the strides in a half ar*ed fashion near the end as I just wasn't feeling it............pre-taper madness:D

pre-taper madness:D

This.

Exactly how I feel atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

This.

Exactly how I feel atm.

At least you have something to taper for, could have been a different story if your bike episode had turned out different.

tang1 wrote: »
    At least you have something to taper for, could have been a different story if your bike episode had turned out different.

Very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch, lucky enough to survive that bike crash alright - he really should have rung his bell as he approached though! Careful now.

Saturday 6th September (Day 34/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:36p/m average

Some very tired miles after a long & busy day. Big one to come in the morning!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:49
    Mile 2 - 8:40
    Mile 3 - 8:36
    Mile 4 - 8:28
    Mile 5 - 8:29

Enjoy the MP miles in the morning.....don't forget they are MP not HMP;)

Sunday 7th September (Day 35/56) - 18m (with 14m @ MP)
    18 miles @ 6:41p/m average

With just three weeks to go until Berlin, this was by far the most important session I had left in the plan. I knew my confidence would be affected one way or the other depending on how this went. Further pressure was piled on when skeleton_boy posted a very similar session that he had just nailed yesterday :D.
    I deliberately planned a route that had a more difficult first half, knowing that if I could hold pace early on, it would be easier to maintain in the second half. I struggled on the undulating terrain for the warm-up and the first four MP miles, but after that I just coasted home for the other ten. I could have sped up if I wanted to.........honestly!
    My last mile was my fastest. I think after that (like skeleton_boy) I'm going to have to target 2:55. I'll still be delighted once I get under 3 hours, but I don't feel I'd be doing my training justice to just settle for that from the start.
    September 28th can't come soon enough!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:09
    Mile 2 - 7:04
    Mile 3 - 7:08
    Mile 4 - 7:00

Mile 5 - 6:35
    Mile 6 - 6:35
    Mile 7 - 6:39
    Mile 8 - 6:36
    Mile 9 - 6:36
    Mile 10 - 6:33
    Mile 11 - 6:34
    Mile 12 - 6:33
    Mile 13 - 6:32
    Mile 14 - 6:36
    Mile 15 - 6:34
    Mile 16 - 6:34
    Mile 17 - 6:34
    Mile 18 - 6:24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff, to say you're ready is an understatement. Keep it between the ditches between now and then!

• Advertisement
Advertisement