Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great going P.

Wish I hadn't read this till later, just heading out on my own LR :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good man, now stay out of the cycle lane! Looking forward to a great marathon from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great going P.

Wish I hadn't read this till later, just heading out on my own LR :)

TbL

Now you know how I felt after reading skeleton_boy's last night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Another great session, P.....now taper well and get ready to give it a lash on the 28th:)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    now taper well and get ready to give it a lash on the 28th:)

You do the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

That's a fantastic session, looking good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great session there. Keep it on the short stuff for the next few weeks and it's there for the taking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Now you know how I felt after reading skeleton_boy's last night :pac:

Cracking effort as always from yourself. Pressure is on me now to translate into a race time anywhere near yours. Feels good to nail these ones though doesn't it :)

Cracking effort as always from yourself. Pressure is on me now to translate into a race time anywhere near yours. Feels good to nail these ones though doesn't it :)

Definitely.
    I haven't run a race time yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

. I'll still be delighted once I get under 3 hours, but I don't feel I'd be doing my training justice to just settle for that from the start.

Absa fcukin' lutley.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Great run. Sub 3 will be easy. Don't suppose you wore your heart rate monitor for this?

Don't suppose you wore your heart rate monitor for this?

No, haven't worn it since it started playing up at the end of July.

Monday 8th September (Day 36/56) - Rest/Cross Training

I spent the morning foam rolling and getting in some much needed core work. I'll try and do more of this than normal in the final couple of weeks. Legs were stiff & sore last night, but feel brand new again now. The foam rolling obviously helped, but it's amazing how effective a good night's sleep can be. I must ensure to get far more of these :rolleyes:.

Tuesday 9th September (Day 37/56) - 7m Recovery (with 8 x 100m Strides)
    7 miles @ 8:21p/m average

A nice morning jog in the sunshine. Was feeling a bit chesty yesterday, but put some rub on before I went to bed which seemed to help. I also got another amazing night's sleep. 19 days.......

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:45
    Mile 2 - 8:28
    Mile 3 - 8:55
    Mile 4 - 8:49
    Mile 5 - 8:32
    Mile 6 - 8:26
    Mile 7 - 6:32*

*Strides in the last mile

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Monday 8th September (Day 36/56) - Rest/Cross Training

I spent the morning foam rolling and getting in some much needed core work.I'll try and do more of this than normal in the final couple of weeks. Legs were stiff & sore last night, but feel brand new again now. The foam rolling obviously helped, but it's amazing how effective a good night's sleep can be. I must ensure to get far more of these :rolleyes:.

Watch out P, If it's not broke....

A bit of foam rolling yes but don't start introducing anything new at this stage.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 10th September (Day 38/56) - 12m Med/Long
    12 miles @ 7:37p/m average

Didn't feel great this morning, so decided I'd run the first mile at a comfortable pace and try and match that with the rest of them. Got lost in Kilbarrack after taking a wrong turn in the middle of this, but managed to find my way back out so no harm done. Slowed up prematurely at the end to let the last mile slip above the average :mad:, but otherwise mission accomplished. Felt a bit of a twinge in my left quad while I was out there, so gave it a good stretch when I got back. Seems fine now.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:41
    Mile 2 - 7:25
    Mile 3 - 7:37
    Mile 4 - 7:37
    Mile 5 - 7:38
    Mile 6 - 7:32
    Mile 7 - 7:39
    Mile 8 - 7:40
    Mile 9 - 7:37
    Mile 10 - 7:38
    Mile 11 - 7:31
    Mile 12 - 7:46

Thursday 11th September (Day 39/56) - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides), 5m Recovery

I made this a double recovery day as I'm unable to run at all on Saturday, so will fit that session in tomorrow and get back to normal on Sunday.

A.M.
    5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    5 miles @ 8:18p/m average

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:45
    Mile 2 - 8:30
    Mile 3 - 8:33
    Mile 4 - 8:36
    Mile 5 - 7:05*

*Strides in the last mile

Had to get out pretty early for this one. The beautiful weather we're having lately makes it fairly easy to get out of bed though. No issues from the quad which I felt a bit of a twinge in yesterday.

P.M.
    5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:41p/m average

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:26
    Mile 2 - 8:43
    Mile 3 - 8:54
    Mile 4 - 8:52
    Mile 5 - 8:32

Back out on the road again this evening as soon as I got in from work. Legs felt pretty tight & stiff, so I took it very easy and even stopped for a bit of a stretch after warming up in the first mile. Felt good when I finished though. Looking forward to tomorrow :).

I might do another double recovery day next Friday. Not only is this more practical for me, but it allows me to get my final double figure run in on Saturday giving me an extra running rest day on the Sunday which can't be a bad thing.

Friday 12th September (Day 40/56) - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Yasso 800 Session (9.72 miles total)

1.2m warm-up

(Rep Target: 2:55, Actual: 2:53 average)

Rep 1 - 2:54
    Rep 2 - 2:53
    Rep 3 - 2:54
    Rep 4 - 2:53
    Rep 5 - 2:52
    Rep 6 - 2:53
    Rep 7 - 2:53
    Rep 8 - 2:52
    Rep 9 - 2:53
    Rep 10 - 2:52

*I took 400m active recoveries between reps

1.06m cool down

After some more good advice on here I decided to complete this session rather than the recommended race, as I felt I'd done enough racing in this cycle and would get similar benefits from this workout with a quicker recovery. When I awoke this morning, my legs were like two wooden planks. Very, very stiff. I made sure to give them a good going over with the foam roller, as I didn't want to take any chances and was willing to leave it until this evening before going out for this if necessary. However, the results after rolling the right spots for 20-30mins were amazing and I felt like I'd been given a new pair of legs when I was finished. Decided to hit the road straight after that. Had originally been thinking of heading to the track again for this, but looking outside it seemed like we had another pleasant morning upon us with minimal wind, so I chanced doing it along the coast. I should have known that was a pretty unwise decision!
    This was a far more difficult workout than I had given it credit for. I was hoping for individual splits of 2:55 (3:38min/km) to mirror my Berlin Marathon target and mistakenly thought this would be pretty handy, considering I only had to complete half a mile at a time going slower than 5k pace. After little over a mile warm-up, I got stuck into the first rep. The usual strong breeze was present along the coast and I immediately realised this wouldn't be anywhere near as easy as I had expected. The East of Ireland Marathon series (10 in 10?) seemed to be taking place this morning along the promenade, so I moved out to the footpath so I wouldn't be mistaken for a competitor in that. What makes this workout so tough is the fact that once you go beyond your comfort zone, you know you've still got a huge amount of reps ahead of you, so it's vital to conserve energy while trying to hit the target splits at the same time. I suppose it stops you getting complacent though. I certainly didn't and stuck with my race attitude of digging in to hold pace, knowing that the further I held it together on target, the harder it then becomes to f*ck it up! It wasn't until I completed the 8th rep that I knew I had the session in the bag on target. Final average for the splits was 2:53. Very happy with this. Really enjoyed the last mile or so cooling down, knowing I had gotten this under my belt. I didn't need to walk any of the recoveries either which was additionally pleasing :). That's the last of my hard running in this plan, apart from the final VO2 Max session in the middle of next week. In the meantime, I've basically got two rest days ahead of me now as I won't be attempting my long run until Sunday evening sometime.

Saturday 13th September (Day 41/56) - Rest/Cross Training

Might as well stick this up here now, in case I don't get a chance tomorrow....

Not exactly a rest day, with golf early in the morning followed by a wedding later in the day. Does carrying my clubs count as cross training?

Not exactly a rest day, with golf early in the morning followed by a wedding later in the day. Does carrying my clubs count as cross training?

As a very wise auld man once said "Absa fcukin' lutley."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great session. You're in fine shape for your goal time. Even more impressively, you lasted a long time on the foam roller. What's the secret? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great session. You're in fine shape for your goal time. Even more impressively, you lasted a long time on the foam roller. What's the secret? :)

No secret. Think I just like pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

No but the dancing at the wedding might!
    Be careful and don't injury yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You're like James Bond now. Tomorrow's news today! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Reminds me a bit of:

Early-Edition.jpg

Sunday 14th September (Day 42/56) - 17m Long Run
    17 miles @ 7:52p/m average

This was one of the most difficult runs I have ever completed. I always knew it was going to be a struggle, after a very long & over-indulgent (but thoroughly enjoyable) day yesterday. But that would be a complete understatement. I had the mother of all hangovers today and couldn't even move until around 4pm. I toyed with the idea of pushing it back to tomorrow, but really didn't want to do that if at all possible. At around 6:30pm, I manned up enough to go out the door. The best way I can describe it is: 2 hours, 13 minutes and 47 seconds of hell! I don't feel like I'm exaggerating. But it's done.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:59
    Mile 2 - 7:58
    Mile 3 - 7:49
    Mile 4 - 7:58
    Mile 5 - 7:55
    Mile 6 - 7:52
    Mile 7 - 7:53
    Mile 8 - 7:53
    Mile 9 - 7:54
    Mile 10 - 7:51
    Mile 11 - 7:53
    Mile 12 - 7:47
    Mile 13 - 7:57
    Mile 14 - 7:52
    Mile 15 - 7:50
    Mile 16 - 7:43
    Mile 17 - 7:44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

LOL 17 miles with a massive hangover.

Yaboya Before ...

tve100445-205-897.jpg

Yaboya after

tumblr_n3zlwpa8zF1qb05aco1_250.gif

LOL 17 miles with a massive hangover.

Yaboya Before ...

tve100445-205-897.jpg

Yaboya after

tumblr_n3zlwpa8zF1qb05aco1_250.gif

I still feel like the top one......

Monday 15th September (Day 43/56) - Rest

Continuing to get over my weekend exploits today. Slept well last night, but was still tired & sluggish when I hit the golf course late this morning. Eighteen holes has always been a good curer for me after a rough day/night, usually ridding me of any lingering effects and leaving me feeling refreshed afterwards. I was physically and mentally drained during this round and was starting to let some loose shots/missed putts get to me, when I noticed that the guy in the group ahead had Cerebral Palsy. This gave me a bit of a reality check and I immediately stopped feeling sorry for myself, considering any suffering I've done lately is completely self-inflicted. Makes you realise how lucky you are to be in a position to run marathons etc.
    No more self pity on this log!

Tuesday 16th September (Day 44/56) - 7m General Aerobic (with 8 x 100m Strides)
    7 miles @ 7:25p/m average

I hate these runs! They should be relatively comfortable considering the pace I'm doing them at, but I've had to complete two of these sessions in the past fortnight and found them both horrible. As much as I'm looking forward to Berlin, I'm glad it's 12 days away as I wouldn't fancy myself at all if it was on this Sunday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:40
    Mile 2 - 7:28
    Mile 3 - 7:30
    Mile 4 - 7:38
    Mile 5 - 7:37
    Mile 6 - 6:26*
    Mile 7 - 7:36

*Strides in Mile 6 (so I could use the lamp posts along the promenade as markers)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 17th September (Day 45/56) - 4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 8:44p/m average

I spent the morning doing core work, with some cross training (golf :D) in the afternoon. It was this evening before I got out for these very boring recovery miles. I suppose no news is good news though? Last VO2 Max session tomorrow.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:42
    Mile 2 - 8:40
    Mile 3 - 8:55
    Mile 4 - 8:43

Thursday 18th September (Day 46/56) - 8m (with 3 x 1,600m @ VO2Max)

2.02m warm-up

3 x 1,600m splits (with 4:00min recovery)

1 - 5:30
    2 - 5:28
    3 - 5:27

1.83m cool down

I've been dreading this session all week. I haven't done anything quick since last week and was afraid I wouldn't be able to hit the targets. Anyway I literally felt sick before I went out and was already making excuses in my head. I'm not sure how much of this was mental, but I was sweating during the warm up and felt I was going to vomit if I went any faster. I knew it would do me no favours (especially confidence wise) if this didn't go well though, with virtually nothing else to test me between now and the big day. This was my final mock exam. I decided sick or not, I'd be doing my best to nail this. 3:27min/km is the current 5k pb pace, so splits of 5:31 for the 1600m were the targets. After jogging for two miles I began the first interval. 400m in I was already starting to feel it. but when I looked at the watch that was because I was moving at 3:10min/km pace :). Knowing I could afford to slow a bit and still hit the target definitely helped my mental state and I relaxed after that. The other two followed a pretty similar pattern, and although I did feel like vomiting (I didn't :P) I managed to get through them all on target without any walking recoveries. Amazingly I now feel much better physically after completing that. Maybe it was all in my head???

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great session! You're all set now. Hard work complete. Time to kick back, tick off the easy miles and get ready for a great race. Your improvements in 2014 have been massive and it's been great to follow. Here's hoping Berlin follows in the same vein as the rest of the year....and there's no reason it shouldn't given the excellent prep you've put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great stuff yaboya. You're right about stuff being all in the head and that will try play tricks with you over the next week or so. And don't worry, I made sure FBOT was worn out yesterday after the miles he joined me for, so he'll be no competition for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Hay in barn. All you can do now is **** it up- but you aren't gonna do that. Whatever workouts are left in your plan do them but forget about hitting splits or any of that... The work is done, you're gonna nail Berlin now just get those legs rested and ready !

Killerz wrote: »
    Great stuff yaboya. You're right about stuff being all in the head and that will try play tricks with you over the next week or so. And don't worry, I made sure FBOT was worn out yesterday after the miles he joined me for, so he'll be no competition for ya!

Thanks J. I am not sure I was ever competition. I did have aspirations at an early point in the cycle that I might be able to still see him when he crossed the line. Those evaporated as soon as he started jogging 6:30 min/mile at the end of his LSR @ 140 BPM :D

Thanks J. I am not sure I was ever competition. I did have aspirations at an early point in the cycle that I might be able to still see him when he crossed the line. Those evaporated as soon as he started jogging 6:30 min/mile at the end of his LSR @ 140 BPM :D

We'll see. Yourself & TbL love talking yourself down, then beating your pre-race target with minutes to spare :pac:

We'll see. Yourself & TbL love talking yourself down, then beating your pre-race target with minutes to spare :pac:

If I can beat it by seconds on the 28th I will be a very happy camper!

Friday 19th September (Day 47/56) - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:46p/m average

Just a few easy recovery miles after work. Legs felt very heavy & weary this evening. Must be saving themselves for what they know is coming next week :p. Gave myself a going over with the foam roller, along with a good stretch afterwards to loosen me out. Only 47 miles left to cover between now and toeing the start line in nine days :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:00
    Mile 2 - 8:53
    Mile 3 - 8:30
    Mile 4 - 8:44
    Mile 5 - 8:42

p.s. I see TbL must have been in Dublin again today. There are some fresh sandbags discarded along the coast in Clontarf he seems to have left behind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Not mine, isn't that Statlers neck of the woods, check with him :)

Taper madness gettin to you P!

TbL

Not mine, isn't that Statlers neck of the woods, check with him :)

Taper madness gettin to you P!

TbL

Not mine, I am still fully loaded but then again I can't remember whether I am Statler or Waldorf???

I can't remember whether I am Statler or Waldorf???

Neither can TbL.
    It changes from week to week :pac::pac:

Saturday 20th September (Day 48/56) - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:30p/m average

Getting really paranoid on these runs now. Wish I could fast forward a week already!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:22
    Mile 2 - 8:43
    Mile 3 - 8:35
    Mile 4 - 8:49
    Mile 5 - 6:50*
    Mile 6 - 8:40

*Strides in Mile 5 (so I could do them on the flat rather than climbing in the last mile)

Sunday 21st September (Day 49/56) - 13m Med/Long
    13 miles @ 7:58p/m average

The penultimate double figure run of the cycle. The final & longest one comes next Sunday - 26.2 miles! :eek:
    I took Dr Q's advice and just took it easy on this, completely ignoring the watch. I developed phantom niggles in my calves & shins while I was out there tonight. Taper madness is really beginning to kick in! I'm also feeling a snivel in my nose and a frog in my throat. I'm pretty sure I had the same symptoms 6/7 days out from Seville though, so everything should be fine :pac:.
    Just 24 miles left on Irish soil (I'm not counting or anything).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:53
    Mile 2 - 8:06
    Mile 3 - 7:55
    Mile 4 - 7:51
    Mile 5 - 8:14
    Mile 6 - 8:09
    Mile 7 - 8:06
    Mile 8 - 8:07
    Mile 9 - 7:49
    Mile 10 - 7:54
    Mile 11 - 7:50
    Mile 12 - 7:46
    Mile 13 - 7:52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I have a feeling it's gonna be a long week for you!
    What day are you travelling?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    I have a feeling it's gonna be a long week for you!
    What day are you travelling?

Longest 4.5 days of my life.
    Flying out Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Fair play to you Yaboya01 - you must be looking forward to the big day now? You've put yourself in a great position

Duanington wrote: »
    Fair play to you Yaboya01 - you must be looking forward to the big day now? You've put yourself in a great position

I am, once I don't go insane in the meantime :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Longest 4.5 days of my life.
    Flying out Friday afternoon.

I'm on that same flight too (Ryanair @ 3:20pm?)

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm on that same flight too (Ryanair @ 3:20pm?)

Yep. Fancy meeting much earlier in the airport to watch the Ryder Cup?

• Advertisement
Advertisement