Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yep. Fancy meeting much earlier in the airport to watch the Ryder Cup?

Make sure there are no pints involved ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yep. Fancy meeting much earlier in the airport to watch the Ryder Cup?

I'll be working the first half of the day so as it is I'll just about be there on time for the flight...hopefully!
    What part of Berlin are you staying in? I'm just on the Southern edge of the Tiergarten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

belcarra wrote: »
    I'll be working the first half of the day so as it is I'll just about be there on time for the flight...hopefully!
    What part of Berlin are you staying in? I'm just on the Southern edge of the Tiergarten.

I've an apartment in Wedding. 2.5 miles northeast of the start, 2 miles northwest of The Oscar Wilde ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I am, once I don't go insane in the meantime :P

You are lucky you get to let it all out in a few days. The weird running dreams have started for me and I'm 4 weeks to go!

Monday 22nd September (Day 50/56) - Rest

Not exactly a rest day, but no running. Had a reasonable lie-in this morning, before doing some core work after I got up. Spent the afternoon on the golf course. Managed not to get injured out there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

You know for certain you've gone taper mad when you start logging rest days ;)

You know for certain you've gone taper mad when you start logging rest days ;)

Guilty!

Tuesday 23rd September (Day 51/56) -7m Recovery
    7 miles @ 8:59p/m average

Nothing to see here........

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:35
    Mile 2 - 8:46
    Mile 3 - 8:57
    Mile 4 - 9:04
    Mile 5 - 9:06
    Mile 6 - 9:11
    Mile 7 - 9:13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday, hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Ahh the week before marathon, with all the training nailed. Great place to be, forget the madness, soak up and enjoy the anticipation. Have a great race and a great weekend. Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Not long now.

Wednesday 24th September (Day 52/56) -7m (with 2m @ MP)
    7 miles @ 7:54p/m average

Another beautiful Autumn day in Dublin. Let's hope it's not too nice in Berlin this Sunday. I spent this morning on the golf course, which I have found an ideal way of killing time lately. I intended to get out for this session as soon as I got home, which seemed pretty appealing as the evening sunshine lit up the sky. Was just about to take a right down the quays past Heuston Station, when I noticed to a voicemail from TbL offering his company for a run in the PP within 20 minutes. I jumped at the chance and took a sharp left up Parkgate Street instead to join my Seville compadre. Running with company definitely takes your mind off phantom niggles and suppresses taper madness. The conversation flowed and five miles were up before I knew it without so much as a thought about any imaginary injuries. I ran the two MP miles on my own, which although a fair bit quicker (time/pace wise), seemed a whole lot longer without company. On the positive side I had to restrain myself a bit from going faster, and was closer to 6:30 than 6:40 which can't be a bad thing. Cheers for the date TbL ;)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:39
    Mile 2 - 8:21
    Mile 3 - 8:36
    Mile 4 - 8:20
    Mile 5 - 8:13
    Mile 6 - 6:33
    Mile 7 - 6:31

One thing I was mentioning to TbL was my schedule for the remainder of the week. There are 5 mile Recovery runs pencilled in for both of the next two days, but with all the travelling etc. on Friday I might just completely can that one as it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I doubt it will make any difference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Another beautiful Autumn day in Dublin. Let's hope it's not too nice in Berlin this Sunday. I spent this morning on the golf course, which I have found an ideal way of killing time lately. I intended to get out for this session as soon as I got home, which seemed pretty appealing as the evening sunshine lit up the sky. Was just about to take a right down the quays past Heuston Station, when I noticed to a voicemail from TbL offering his company for a run in the PP within 20 minutes. I jumped at the chance and took a sharp left up Parkgate Street instead to join my Seville compadre. Running with company definitely takes your mind off phantom niggles and suppresses taper madness. The conversation flowed and five miles were up before I knew it without so much as a thought about any imaginary injuries. I ran the two MP miles on my own, which although a fair bit quicker (time/pace wise), seemed a whole lot longer without company. On the positive side I had to restrain myself a bit from going faster, and was closer to 6:30 than 6:40 which can't be a bad thing. Cheers for the date TbL ;)

Splits:

One thing I was mentioning to TbL was my schedule for the remainder of the week. There are 5 mile Recovery runs pencilled in for both of the next two days, but with all the travelling etc. on Friday I might just completely can that one as it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I doubt it will make any difference at this stage.
    Best of luck in Berlin. I hope you a achieve a time your training deserves.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday, hope all goes well for you.

Cheers tang.
    outforarun wrote: »
    Ahh the week before marathon, with all the training nailed. Great place to be, forget the madness, soak up and enjoy the anticipation. Have a great race and a great weekend. Best of Luck.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll try my best to do all of the above ;)
    Not long now.

Just 3 days, 12 hours & 20 minutes.......
    paddybarry wrote: »
    Best of luck in Berlin. I hope you a achieve a time your training deserves.

So do I. Thanks Paddy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Going to get in nice and early with my own best wishes too. Big fan of your training and progress to date. Looking forward to the race report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

long time follower of this log. Hope you get the time you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You will be mirroring the Ryder Cup team with the build up and anticipation!

Going to get in nice and early with my own best wishes too. Big fan of your training and progress to date. Looking forward to the race report already.

Thanks PM. Not sure if there's more pressure on the race, or the report :P
    long time follower of this log. Hope you get the time you deserve

Thanks Dar. Much appreciated.
    SamforMayo wrote: »
    You will be mirroring the Ryder Cup team with the build up and anticipation!

I hope I can live up to it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Very best of luck Yaboya - you are an inspiration to us mere mortals with the training you put in!

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Very best of luck Yaboya - you are an inspiration to us mere mortals with the training you put in!

Thanks TJ.
    Very nice of you to say that and I'm delighted if I've managed to inspire anyone else :).
    Boards has been an inspiration to me and there's no way I'd be even considering running the time I'm targeting if it wasn't for this forum.
    If what you're saying is true, that can be my form of payback ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck and all that jazz yaboya. I've no doubt that you will get everything your training deserves. This log has been model log on how consistent hard work and effort pays off. Now go reap the rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Your dedication and consistency has been very good yaboya. Plus your ability to recover from tough sessions. Been following the log for a while. Best of luck. Look forward to reading the report.

wowzer wrote: »
    Best of luck and all that jazz yaboya. I've no doubt that you will get everything your training deserves. This log has been model log on how consistent hard work and effort pays off. Now go reap the rewards.

Again, thank you :)
    The support on here is fantastic!

Splits:

Don't feel too bad TbL, he did the same to Ferris a few weeks ago. Did his bit for the elderly by taking the auldfella out for a jog and then p$ssed off like a bullet from a gun for the real miles at the end......:pac::pac:

Your dedication and consistency has been very good yaboya. Plus your ability to recover from tough sessions. Been following the log for a while. Best of luck. Look forward to reading the report.

Thanks Tiger. Much appreciated.
    Didn't see your post until now, sorry about that.
    I also look forward to your marathon debut. I have a feeling it will be a very impressive one. I'm sure I'll see you for a few beers afterwards in McGrattans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

All the very best P. Like others have said the dedication and hard work recorded on this log is pretty hard to match anywhere else on Boards. You so deserve to hit your goal time and I'm really excited for you and looking forward to hearing of a successful run. I hope everything goes well for you on the day , good luck!

RedRunner wrote: »
    All the very best P. Like others have said the dedication and hard work recorded on this log is pretty hard to match anywhere else on Boards. You so deserve to hit your goal time and I'm really excited for you and looking forward to hearing of a successful run. I hope everything goes well for you on the day , good luck!

Thanks RR.
    I assume although you're not running now, I'll still see you in McGrattans after the DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thanks RR.
    I assume although you're not running now, I'll still see you in McGrattans after the DCM?

That's the plan alright. Hopefully with news that I'm back running again and getting fired up for Winter training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Plus your ability to recover from tough sessions.

I'm baffled how he recovers from sessions as well. Anytime I have more than 8 pints I'm unable to drink the following day not to mind run fooking MP miles !!

Best of luck Yaboya, if you were a horse I wouldn't lay you :pac:

tomred1N wrote: »
    I'm baffled how he recovers from sessions as well. Anytime I have more than 8 pints I'm unable to drink the following day not to mind run fooking MP miles !!

Best of luck Yaboya, if you were a horse I wouldn't lay you :pac:

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
    I'll try not to let you down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

What colour are your racing silks P. Is the tricolour tee making a reappearance?

Ferris B wrote: »
    What colour are your racing silks P. Is the tricolour tee making a reappearance?

I'm going to wear the tricolour to the breakfast run, but not in the race. It's just far too big for me now. I actually haven't fully decided yet, but was leaning towards the race series HM t-shirt from last year since I recorded my only ever race win in that. What do you think?

I'm going to wear the tricolour to the breakfast run, but not in the race. It's just far too big for me now. I actually haven't fully decided yet, but was leaning towards the race series HM t-shirt from last year since I recorded my only ever race win in that. What do you think?

I think the gardening gloves might be a bit much on this occasion:D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I think the gardening gloves might be a bit much on this occasion:D

Might leave them off until the October Bank Holiday in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi yaboya

I just wanted to say best of luck in Berlin. I've enjoyed reading your log and about your training recently. Hope it goes well for you.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi yaboya

I just wanted to say best of luck in Berlin. I've enjoyed reading your log and about your training recently. Hope it goes well for you.

Hi Laura,
    Thanks a lot. Best of luck to you in Dublin. Might see you after that race ;)

Thursday 25th September (Day 53/56) -5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:44p/m average

Got this out of the way early, so I can spend the evening getting everything sorted for tomorrow. I've also just had the traditional aerodynamic marathon haircut, which is bound to shave minutes off my time :pac:. No phantom niggles today :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:30
    Mile 2 - 8:43
    Mile 3 - 8:55
    Mile 4 - 8:57
    Mile 5 - 8:38

I've almost certainly decided to drop tomorrow's workout in favour of a (running) rest day. It just seems like it will get in the way with everything else that's going on and I think the day off will actually benefit me more. Anyone agree/disagree? I plan to do the Breakfast Run in Berlin to make sure the legs are loosened out ahead of Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very best of luck Yaboya. Fingers crossed for a result deserving of the hard work you have put in.

Very best of luck Yaboya. Fingers crossed for a result deserving of the hard work you have put in.

Cheers KC.
    Let's hope I can mirror one of your past performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the best man, brilliant training cycle and I really hope it comes together for you. I'm very confident it will ;)

• Advertisement

All the best man, brilliant training cycle and I really hope it comes together for you. I'm very confident it will ;)

Thanks OP.
    I think you're my number 1 fan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Taking a break from haranguing and ranting at other to posters to wish you the best of luck in Berlin. Keep the head on the day and its your for the taking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Dear Yaboya, It's been great following your progress over the last few months and you've shown incredible dedication so I really hope you get what you deserve. Best of luck on the day, the training is done and done extremely well so just one more thing to do and that's to go out there and lick some arse....KICK some arse. Can't wait to read the report!

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Taking a break from haranguing and ranting at other to posters to wish you the best of luck in Berlin. Keep the head on the day and its your for the taking!

Thanks DrQ.
    The long summer of training was easy in comparison to the Beer Mile. That really toughened me up :D

jebuz wrote: »
    Dear Yaboya, It's been great following your progress over the last few months and you've shown incredible dedication so I really hope you get what you deserve. Best of luck on the day, the training is done and done extremely well so just one more thing to do and that's to go out there and lick some arse....KICK some arse. Can't wait to read the report!

Thanks for the advice jebuz :)
    I could say the very same about you. Your progress has been phenomenal. I can't wait to hear about how you took down the Kenyans in McGrattans after the DCM ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck this weekend Yaboya01 - I doubt you'll need it though, this log has been the scene of some serious dedication and hard work over the past few months.

Duanington wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend Yaboya01 - I doubt you'll need it though, this log has been the scene of some serious dedication and hard work over the past few months.

Thanks D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Good luck at the weekend Yaboya, your progress has been fantastic.
    i hope you get the time that your training and hard work deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Go get em ya boy ya !!!! ;) Best of luck to ya, go hard and stick to the plan! Set me a target! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck, put the foot to the floor and you will have the day for watching the golf!

Advertisement