Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'd say go as backup to the 3:40 pacers. Going by their training they might need some help! :-)

Excuuuuuse you!

When was the last time you ran 19 miles @ 7.29 mpm??????

Out training is good, our training is solid, our train..... Actually meno is with us, you may have a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Excuuuuuse you!

When was the last time you ran 19 miles @ 7.29 mpm??????

Out training is good, our training is solid, our train..... Actually meno is with us, you may have a point

You'll eat those words when you cramp up again with 2 miles to go :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    You'll eat those words when you cramp up again with 2 miles to go :pac:

Will this be a PB for you???

Gavlor wrote: »
    Will this be a PB for you???

It will be if I follow you for the first half alright, cos unlike you I can generally keep the same pace going for the second half ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

McGrattans is going to be some craic!:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Appreciate all the opinion, feedback & advice. I think the common theme shining through from everyone's posts is to be sensible and not to risk injury. I will definitely be doing this, but race tactics will have to wait until much closer to the day. I intend to get back running some easy miles in the coming week.

Meanwhile, I've updated my mileage table. Still due to hit 2000 for the year during the DCM :)

Month|Mileage
    January|229
    February|151
    March|166
    April|201
    May|160
    June|230
    July|235
    August|284
    September|214

Total Yearly Mileage to 30th September: 1,870

Wednesday 8th October - 7m Easy
    7 miles @ 8:30min/mile average

This was my first run since the Berlin Marathon. I had originally planned on getting out for a few miles yesterday evening but I was still trying to shake off a cold/flu, so thought it better to leave that one as it may have done me more harm than good. No real plan for tonight, just get some miles in at easy pace. Although it was quite tough in the opening miles, I started to loosen up the further I went and felt quite good towards the end. I'll probably get a Med-Long run (10-14 miles) in tomorrow and hopefully some sort of a Long run on Sunday (16-18 miles) before I begin my DCM taper :p. My plan for the next couple of weeks is to keep myself ticking over with easy miles, making sure I run enough so that I hit 2000 for the year during the DCM. That has become my next mini-goal :) (currently on 1877).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:43
    Mile 2 - 8:24
    Mile 3 - 8:30
    Mile 4 - 8:47
    Mile 5 - 8:37
    Mile 6 - 8:12
    Mile 7 - 8:20

*On a totally unrelated note (call this post-marathon boredom rather than taper-madness), after a comment I made on the mentored thread relating to positive/negative marathon splits, I decided to have a look at my own from previous marathons. I'm still 0/5 in the negative split category, but I'm gradually getting closer:

Marathon|Total|First Half|Second Half|Difference
    Dublin 2010|3:39:36|1:44:22|1:55:14|+10:52
    Berlin 2011|3:35:20|1:46:09|1:49:11|+3:02
    Chicago 2013|3:34:53|1:45:00|1:49:53|+4:53
    Seville 2014|3:08:25|1:32:47|1:35:38|+2:51
    Berlin 2014|2:59:11|1:28:13|1:30:58|+2:45
    Dublin 2014|?|?|?|-x:xx :pac:

Thursday 9th October - 15m Easy
    15 miles @ 8:17min/mile average

I hadn't intended going any further than 14 miles today, but I miscalculated the route and preferred to continue running than walking the extra mile home. Took in a fair bit of the PP & Castleknock, passing the 6, 7, 8 & 9 mile markers for the marathon (although I didn't see the 7?) along the way. I also thought I heard a motorbike starting up in the woods while moving up the Furze Road, but it turned out to be just a stag making a weird growling noise. Nothing much else to report. Quads were a bit sore towards the end, but I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:42
    Mile 2 - 8:42
    Mile 3 - 8:23
    Mile 4 - 8:31
    Mile 5 - 8:32
    Mile 6 - 8:24
    Mile 7 - 8:17
    Mile 8 - 8:27
    Mile 9 - 8:05
    Mile 10 - 7:56
    Mile 11 - 8:14
    Mile 12 - 8:04
    Mile 13 - 8:08
    Mile 14 - 7:59
    Mile 15 - 8:02

Friday 10th October - 5m Recovery
    5 miles @ 8:35min/mile average

Just a short, easy one to shake out the legs. As has been said many times before, the Garmin is a great training aid but cannot be relied on 100%. I had travelled 400m and it was showing me moving at 4:46min/mile pace having covered 0.6 miles! I ignored it until I reached the point I knew was a mile from the start, where I manually clicked the lap button. Everything was ok after that. I'll take tomorrow off ahead of my Long Run on Sunday and then start adding a few strides to next week's workouts, since the legs should be back to normal by then.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:31
    Mile 2 - 8:34
    Mile 3 - 8:40
    Mile 4 - 8:41
    Mile 5 - 8:29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

yaboya1 wrote: »
    As has been said many times before, the Garmin is a great training aid but cannot be relied on 100%. I had travelled 400m and it was showing me moving at 4:46min/mile pace having covered 0.6 miles!

I've given up using the watch on slow runs because of this - I find arguing with the watch can be quite distracting !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'll take tomorrow off ahead of my Long Run on Sunday and then start adding a few strides to next week's workouts, since the legs should be back to normal by then

You are a mad yoke..15 mile LSR done already. You know your own body but just be careful not to underestimate recovery required. Rule of thumb is an easy day for every mile raced. I personally wouldn't see much benefit in doing so many miles between the two marathons. But that's just my view on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

blockic wrote: »
    You are a mad yoke..15 mile LSR done already. You know your own body but just be careful not to underestimate recovery required. Rule of thumb is an easy day for every mile raced. I personally wouldn't see much benefit in doing so many miles between the two marathons. But that's just my view on it!

Agreed. Just keep yourself ticking over with easy short runs (4-10). You have the aerobic base. It's just a case of keeping the legs moving.

Be as fresh as a daisy come race day and you never know what might happen. You won't become any fitter over the next two weeks. It's simply a case of resting and keeping her on the fairway! I'd give myself a rest day every few days as well.

They were 'easy' miles though :D

Agreed. Just keep yourself ticking over with easy short runs (4-10). You have the aerobic base. It's just a case of keeping the legs moving.

Be as fresh as a daisy come race day and you never know what might happen. You won't become any fitter over the next two weeks. It's simply a case of resting and keeping her on the fairway! I'd give myself a rest day every few days as well.

I'm resting tomorrow. Are you advising against my planned 16-18 miler on Sunday then? What would you suggest instead?

I'm resting tomorrow. Are you advising against my planned 16-18 miler on Sunday then? What would you suggest instead?

I'll return the question with a question. I'm in that type of humour :).

With the 16-18, what's the purpose of the run? What are you looking to get from it?

(I hope that doesn't come across judgmental or anything!)

They were 'easy' miles though :D

True...I just noticed the comment that the legs should be back to normal next week so said I would maybe suggest not to go off doing sessions next week or anything or get back to a "normal" training week.

DR hit the nail on the head with the question above anyway..:)

I'll return the question with a question. I'm in that type of humour :).

With the 16-18, what's the purpose of the run? What are you looking to get from it?

(I hope that doesn't come across judgmental or anything!)

I'm afraid I'll have gone four weeks without a long run otherwise and will regret that during the DCM (please reassure me otherwise?)

True...I just noticed the comment that the legs should be back to normal next week so said I would maybe suggest not to go off doing sessions next week or anything or get back to a "normal" training week.

DR hit the nail on the head with the question above anyway..:)

No, I'm definitely not going to do anything other than easy miles between now and DCM. I'm stupid, but not that stupid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Obviously interested in how you are preparing for Dublin after Berlin (in the same boat). Think I'm in the stupid category.
    Was wrecked after came home. Did nothing until Thursday easy 5mile after Berlin. 10 and 13 miles at weekend. Planning 50 miles this week (with 18 miles Sun). 35-40 miles mostly easy next week and 15 miles week before Dublin. That's the current thinking!!

loughie wrote: »
    Obviously interested in how you are preparing for Dublin after Berlin (in the same boat). Think I'm in the stupid category.
    Was wrecked after came home. Did nothing until Thursday easy 5mile after Berlin. 10 and 13 miles at weekend. Planning 50 miles this week (with 18 miles Sun). 35-40 miles mostly easy next week and 15 miles week before Dublin. That's the current thinking!!

Yeah, I'm as bad. As ridiculous as it seems, I'm half afraid I'll blow up in the DCM if I don't get a long run in beforehand.
    In saying that, I won't push it on runs of any distance and plan to stop immediately if I get any hint of a niggle (I even brought bus/tram fare yesterday just in case!)

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'll have gone four weeks without a long run otherwise and will regret that during the DCM (please reassure me otherwise?)

Having trained for and raced a marathon, you have a huge aerobic base. That won't disappear in 29 days. I had a quick look at the P&D Multiple Marathon Schedule to see what it recommends (after questioning myself). It has over nothing 15 miles.

What's the biggest danger in multi-marathoning? I would say the risk of being over-cooked. Now, I have never ran two marathons in a month (I will at some stage) but I think less is more.

Have the confidence in yourself to know you have the miles under the belt. It's already in the bank. Give yourself the very best chance to really enjoy the day. Don't forget, Berlin was the target.

That's my two cents :). When it comes down to it you know your body better than anyone.

Definitely think there's no harm in getting out for an long run (18 mile easy) this weekend. Read up on various thoughts on training between marathons 4 weeks apart and best advice I read was to listen to your own body. Firstly recover and then see how you feel and respond during runs. Mind yourself , nutrition, sleep, recovery etc.

Having trained for and raced a marathon, you have a huge aerobic base. That won't disappear in 29 days. I had a quick look at the P&D Multiple Marathon Schedule to see what it recommends (after questioning myself). It has over nothing 15 miles.

What's the biggest danger in multi-marathoning? I would say the risk of being over-cooked. Now, I have never ran two marathons in a month (I will at some stage) but I think less is more.

Have the confidence in yourself to know you have the miles under the belt. It's already in the bank. Give yourself the very best chance to really enjoy the day. Don't forget, Berlin was the target.

That's my two cents :). When it comes down to it you know your body better than anyone.

Point taken. If you read my Berlin report, you'll understand I am prone to going a bit crazy beforehand which may explain all this.
    Thanks for the reassurance ;).

loughie wrote: »
    Definitely think there's no harm in getting out for an long run (18 mile easy) this weekend. Read up on various thoughts on training between marathons 4 weeks apart and best advice I read was to listen to your own body. Firstly recover and then see how you feel and respond during runs. Mind yourself , nutrition, sleep, recovery etc.

I'll play this by ear. Will only go as far as is comfortable. Thanks for the comments.

p.s. You're in my Berlin video at 25k (behind me). You must have passed me soon after, as you're gone by 30k and I never saw you again :P

Sunday 12th October - 10m Easy
    10 miles @ 8:02min/mile average

Got out in the twilight after work, meaning most of this was done in the dark. I payed no attention at all to the watch (couldn't see it anyway) and just ran at what felt like an easy effort. While I was out there I had a (silent) chat with myself (prompted by the comments on here yesterday). Three years ago I ran the Berlin Marathon and did absolutely zero running after that for about a month. I was in New York when the DCM was taking place but had I been home I would have definitely run as I felt I'd be fit enough having run Berlin just a few weeks earlier, despite doing nothing in between. Yet here I am worrying about losing fitness two weeks after the biggest race (and most intense training block) of my life? That doesn't make any sense!
    So I decided I wasn't going further than 10 miles, and that this run will be my longest before the DCM. Enforced rest day tomorrow, which won't do me any harm.

No more silliness! Are you listening loughie? ;)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:02
    Mile 2 - 7:53
    Mile 3 - 7:57
    Mile 4 - 8:12
    Mile 5 - 8:01
    Mile 6 - 7:38
    Mile 7 - 7:46
    Mile 8 - 8:12
    Mile 9 - 8:20
    Mile 10 - 8:21

No more silliness! Are you listening loughie? ;)

Well I got out for my easy 18 miler yesterday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have you set a target for DCM yet?

Here's another potentially useful quote from P&D, from the Multiple Marathons chapter:

If you have less than 4 weeks between marathons, you're on your own. Your main concern should be recovery, recovery, recovery, and more recovery, not only from your first marathon but also from the lobotomy that led you to come up with this plan.

Luckily there are 4 weeks and 1 day between Berlin and Dublin. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Have you set a target for DCM yet?

Here's another potentially useful quote from P&D, from the Multiple Marathons chapter:

If you have less than 4 weeks between marathons, you're on your own. Your main concern should be recovery, recovery, recovery, and more recovery, not only from your first marathon but also from the lobotomy that led you to come up with this plan.

Luckily there are 4 weeks and 1 day between Berlin and Dublin. :)

Haha.....I saw that :).

The truth about Dublin is I honestly don't know, and won't know for sure until during the race itself. Although I ran a HM four weeks after Seville, a HM is not a marathon and I can't predict what way I'll feel once I get further than halfway. Regardless of the result I won't let myself be disappointed as I always intended the DCM to be a 'lap of honour' after Berlin. However, if everything falls into place and during the race I feel in the shape to do so, I'll give it a proper lash. No matter what, I'll be in McGrattans afterwards for a few beers to celebrate.
    See you there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I always intended the DCM to be a 'lap of honour' after Berlin.

That is one long lap of honour :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday 15th October - 8m Easy
    8 miles @ 8:21min/mile average

I had planned to get out for a few miles before work yesterday morning but when I awoke, both my legs and body were feeling very tired. I thought of Murph_D's P&D quote "Recovery, recovery and even more recovery" and decided to go back to sleep for an hour instead. I think that will have done me more good. I couldn't do that today, as I had a provisional date with TbL on one of his final tune-up runs before Amsterdam. I didn't want to go further than 8 miles in total this morning though, so I cycled up & back to the PP adding another 4-5 miles of cardio to my workout ;). We took the run easy for the most part before throwing in one MP mile (6:59) along Conyngham Road, which was probably more difficult than it should have been because of the headwind. Quite blustery out there today!
    As usual the time passed much more quickly with company. Best of luck on Sunday TbL!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:10
    Mile 2 - 8:29
    Mile 3 - 9:14
    Mile 4 - 8:46
    Mile 5 - 8:33
    Mile 6 - 6:59
    Mile 7 - 7:51
    Mile 8 - 8:49

Thursday 16th October - 5m Easy
    5 miles @ 8:16min/mile average

With a long day of work ahead, barely any sleep last night and no prospect of getting home early, I had already conceded to myself that there would be no running getting done today. However when I eventually arrived home at 8pm, I couldn't resist heading out into the dark & rain on an otherwise perfect evening. Forty odd minutes splashing about at an easy pace, without looking at the watch until I finished. Loved it! Legs felt fantastic. I'm going to re-introduce some strides after tomorrow's recovery miles. Hot shower as soon as soon as I got in the door. Feel a whole lot better now than I would have if I'd hit the couch at 8pm :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:46
    Mile 2 - 8:29
    Mile 3 - 8:03
    Mile 4 - 8:04
    Mile 5 - 7:54

Friday 17th October - 6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides), 6m Recovery

Decided to get in a double day of recovery miles since I'm starting to feel back to myself.

A.M.
    6m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    6 miles @ 8:33p/m average

A bit windy while I was out there this morning but very pleasant otherwise. Legs really feeling good again now, with the soreness I felt in the quads last week completely gone. It was nice to get a few strides in too, just to prove to myself I can move faster than 8-9 minute miles at the moment.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:59
    Mile 2 - 8:56
    Mile 3 - 8:55
    Mile 4 - 8:43
    Mile 5 - 7:04*
    Mile 6 - 8:43

*Strides in Mile 5

P.M.
    6m Recovery
    6.36 miles @ 8:49p/m average

An absolutely manky, rotten evening out there tonight. I didn't fancy going along the seafront in that, so tried a completely different route. However, I misjudged it slightly and ended up covering a little bit more ground than planned. Another hot shower when I got in after a repeat of yesterday's soaking. I can't be making a habit of going out on horrible nights like that as I'm sure I'll eventually make myself sick.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:58
    Mile 2 - 8:44
    Mile 3 - 8:56
    Mile 4 - 8:39
    Mile 5 - 8:48
    Mile 6 - 8:46
    0.36 - 3:15

Saturday 18th October - 8m Easy
    8 miles @ 8:43min/mile average

Some more easy miles into the legs before the big day on Monday week. Was joined by Duanington for this, which made the time pass much more quickly. Still on target to hit 2000 miles during the DCM, and that includes two rest days :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:02
    Mile 2 - 8:25
    Mile 3 - 8:36
    Mile 4 - 8:43
    Mile 5 - 8:38
    Mile 6 - 8:42
    Mile 7 - 8:39
    Mile 8 - 8:56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Just a bit of info from my experience over at the ASO Challenges website. It is still possible to register for Paris Marathon 2015, but already it's a more-expensive registration: E109. I couldn't find the details of the current price *anywhere* online (not even on the registration website), or even the number of remaining places ... only found out the price after logging into my ASO account and clicking through the registration steps.

I'm not sure what the current price says about the number of remaining places. Think it has sold out in December or January in the past but that could change...

Just passing the word along in case you were still thinking of it. There is also Connemara on the same day of course!

Just a bit of info from my experience over at the ASO Challenges website. It is still possible to register for Paris Marathon 2015, but already it's a more-expensive registration: E109. I couldn't find the details of the current price *anywhere* online (not even on the registration website), or even the number of remaining places ... only found out the price after logging into my ASO account and clicking through the registration steps.

I'm not sure what the current price says about the number of remaining places. Think it has sold out in December or January in the past but that could change...

Just passing the word along in case you were still thinking of it. There is also Connemara on the same day of course!

Funny you should say that, I was only complaining to Duanington this morning about how expensive that race (Paris) already was at this stage. I did exactly the same as you a couple of weeks ago (ASO account) and couldn't believe it. I thought we would be getting the initial entry price of circa €60. I find it hard to justify €109 though and will probably end up going elsewhere. Not sure where yet though.

• Advertisement

Funny you should say that, I was only complaining to Duanington this morning about how expensive that race (Paris) already was at this stage. I did exactly the same as you a couple of weeks ago (ASO account) and couldn't believe it. I thought we would be getting the initial entry price of circa €60. I find it hard to justify €109 though and will probably end up going elsewhere. Not sure where yet though.

Maybe the hills of Connemara? I think Brighton is the same weekend, and Manchester around that time....

I knew I wouldn't be getting the E60 price to be honest - I think you had to "pre-register" back in April 2014 or so to get into the two cheapest categories. I've given ASO my E109 - in my case I should have free accomodation in Paris.

There are hardly any Scottish full marathons in early spring of 2015 ... at least none that are flattish. I like hills but I think for my first marathon I'll take it easy ;-). I did toy with the idea of Connemara but I went for the lighter option in the end!

Maybe the hills of Connemara? I think Brighton is the same weekend, and Manchester around that time....

I knew I wouldn't be getting the E60 price to be honest - I think you had to "pre-register" back in April 2014 or so to get into the two cheapest categories. I've given ASO my E109 - in my case I should have free accomodation in Paris.

There are hardly any Scottish full marathons in early spring of 2015 ... at least none that are flattish. I like hills but I think for my first marathon I'll take it easy ;-). I did toy with the idea of Connemara but I went for the lighter option in the end!

I'm not in any hurry to make a decision. I'll get Dublin over with, then I'm going on holiday for a week. When I come back I'll start planning my next assault :D

It's a pity Manchester is on Easter sunday next year, otherwise I would have done it. Blackpool is on around the same time and is as flat as a pancake, definitely worth considering. Low key event but is AIMs certified etc and very cheap (I did it for £25 a few years ago)

Yaboya, If I decide not to do London next year you can have my entry as long as you promise to get me a GFA again (sub 3:05). You already have your own Q time for next year after Berlin....

I'm not in any hurry to make a decision. I'll get Dublin over with, then I'm going on holiday for a week. When I come back I'll start planning my next assault :D

:-)

Lucky you to be doing DCM! By now I'm pretty sure I'll just be spectating .. am just hoping my calf will get back to normal quickly so I can start training again soon.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's a pity Manchester is on Easter sunday next year, otherwise I would have done it. Blackpool is on around the same time and is as flat as a pancake, definitely worth considering. Low key event but is AIMs certified etc and very cheap (I did it for £25 a few years ago)

Yaboya, If I decide not to do London next year you can have my entry as long as you promise to get me a GFA again (sub 3:05). You already have your own Q time for next year after Berlin....

Yeah, I'm probably going to wait until 2016 for London now. I appreciate the offer, but I have to run under my own name. I'm stubborn like that :p. Thanks though.

• Advertisement

Sunday 19th October - 9m Easy
    9.34 miles @ 7:39min/mile average

A bit faster than I've been running lately, but it still felt 'easy'. I'm definitely not at 100% atm, but hopefully another week of recovery miles can remedy that. Very windy out there today. Praying it's not like that next Monday :eek:.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:41
    Mile 2 - 7:35
    Mile 3 - 7:43
    Mile 4 - 7:47
    Mile 5 - 7:46
    Mile 6 - 7:40
    Mile 7 - 7:40
    Mile 8 - 7:29
    Mile 9 - 7:34
    0.34 - 2:36

Monday 20th October - 6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 8:41min/mile average

Nothing much to say about this. Just twenty miles left before next Monday now :). Rest day tomorrow. I'm off shopping now for pre-marathon food and energy gels :pac:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:02
    Mile 2 - 8:24
    Mile 3 - 8:36
    Mile 4 - 8:50
    Mile 5 - 8:47
    Mile 6 - 8:26

Wednesday 22nd October - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m Strides)
    5.44 miles @ 8:32min/mile average

Another nice little leg loosener on a chilly morning. I kept most of the run on grass, including the strides where I also had the wind to contend with so they were slower than normal. I ran almost half a mile further than planned due to avoiding stopping at traffic lights. Only three small runs before the marathon now. I'll probably add strides to Saturday's too.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:53
    Mile 2 - 8:50
    Mile 3 - 8:56
    *Mile 4 - 7:31
    Mile 5 - 8:25
    0.44 - 3:50

*Strides in Mile 4

Thursday 23rd October - 6m (with 2m @ MP)
    6.15 miles @ 7:47min/mile average

I haven't run a mile near MP since I got back from Berlin, so decided to throw a couple into this morning's run. I kept mostly to grass again, with both the MP miles back into the strong gale along the coast. I thought that keeping them under 7 minutes would be acceptable in the circumstances, which I managed to do but probably at a little more than what I'd hope to be my MP effort. If the wind is blowing in the city on Monday like it's been blowing on the coast the last few days, all bets are off!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:27
    Mile 2 - 8:11
    Mile 3 - 8:12
    Mile 4 - 6:51 (MP)
    Mile 5 - 6:53 (MP)
    Mile 6 - 8:02
    0.15 - 1:20

In other news, I signed up for the Hamburg Marathon this morning. It takes place at the end of April and seems to be well organised, well supported and very well reviewed. A bargain at just €66 :). Also booked my flights. No excuses not to keep my training focused throughout the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Best of luck on Monday yaboya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Well! Just wondering when you were doing the hr based stuff early on in the year did you add strides into the runs? when did ya do them? And how long did ya do the hr stuff for?

Finnt wrote: »
    Well! Just wondering when you were doing the hr based stuff early on in the year did you add strides into the runs? when did ya do them? And how long did ya do the hr stuff for?

I used to do strides twice a week (10 x 100m) before my steady runs, then I changed it to after the runs following on from advice I received here.
    I followed the HADD programme from March until early August. My HRM started playing up then, so I jumped into a P&D plan for my final 8 weeks of marathon training. I'm going to go back to the HADD stuff when I've finished recovering after the DCM. When I feel like I've mastered my HRMarathon (160bpm in my case, I think), I'm going to look at structuring a specific marathon plan for Hamburg in April. I've taken on board a lot of knowledge & advice that's been posted here and across the A/R forum and am looking forward to trying to use some of that to my advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good luck Monday P, hope all goes to plan for you.

Best of luck on Monday yaboya.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Good luck Monday P, hope all goes to plan for you.

Thanks lads :)

Yaboya you scared Finnt off with your answer! :D

Wish ya well for Monday. however, if you feel anything off I will finish with 3 words:

Don't be stupid. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement