Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

It is clearly due to me being so quiet and ladylike so they simply do not hear me...

No, they don't want to risk being distracted by your awesomeness and lured onto the rocks of their own destruction.....unfortunately despite my focus I still managed to run aground, though from what I've been reading, it could have been much, much worse.

And now I'll leave yaboya's log alone as I promised I was going to give up posting random stuff on other peoples' logs. Come to think of it, I promised myself yesterday was my last marathon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

aero2k wrote: »
    No, they don't want to risk being distracted by your awesomeness and lured onto the rocks of their own destruction.....unfortunately despite my focus I still managed to run aground, though from what I've been reading, it could have been much, much worse.

And now I'll leave yaboya's log alone as I promised I was going to give up posting random stuff on other peoples' logs. Come to think of it, I promised myself yesterday was my last marathon...

To further hijack P's log.

Well done yesterday Sean, you were gone by the time I got in.
    Super performance in hard conditions.

Talk next week, I'm off this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great report Yaboya1 - you really did have the look of a man who was content with the world when I saw you on the last stretch, your report sums it up very well. A great few months' running for you, looking forward to what you get up to next ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aero2k wrote: »

People start forgetting things with old age...so look forward to hearing what the next one is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done yaboya...nice to meet you (again apparently though I have no recollection of this mythical previous meeting) :)
    People start forgetting things with old age

:D

Can someone point yaboya out to me next time we're in the vicinity of each other please? He's getting a punch in the stomach for that!

Can someone point yaboya out to me next time we're in the vicinity of each other please? He's getting a punch in the stomach for that!

Don't think I can make the boards Xmas beers this year.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Well done yaboya! Knocking out two performance's like that in such a short time is awesome. No better place to run a victory lap than Dublin yesterday. The support was incredible.

Tired, but happy :)

10650046_783973924997306_238458564628388315_n.jpg?oh=2d893bf9178c0c1e924275187b1918e3&oe=54EDF4DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

People start forgetting things with old age...

Who are you?:D

Has anyone got any idea what I could use (apart from those tiny little screwdrivers you get in Christmas crackers) to unscrew the back of this HRM?

Surely I'm not the first one to have faced this problem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any idea what I could use (apart from those tiny little screwdrivers you get in Christmas crackers) to unscrew the back of this HRM?

I use the little screwdriver set you use to open laptops and the like. Can borrow it if you like.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I use the little screwdriver set you use to open laptops and the like. Can borrow it if you like.

Thanks Adrian. Might have to take you up on that if I don't find something suitable beforehand. I'll let you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Try a steak knife if you have one with a narrow point.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Try a steak knife if you have one with a narrow point.

I found one of the recommended screwdrivers and replaced the battery, but the watch is still giving me the same problems. Looks like I may need a completely new HRM. Is there one I can get to wear on my wrist??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I found one of the recommended screwdrivers and replaced the battery, but the watch is still giving me the same problems. Looks like I may need a completely new HRM. Is there one I can get to wear on my wrist??

You sure it's not your heart?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Check out the Mio Link on amazon, I think they're about 100 quid though. I've been considering one myself as I hate the straps. DC rainmaker reviews them, can't link as I'm on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ah sure how do I know! That's not my department at all:eek:

• Advertisement

Check out the Mio Link on amazon, I think they're about 100 quid though. I've been considering one myself as I hate the straps. DC rainmaker reviews them, can't link as I'm on the phone.

Cheers OP. I'll take a look.
    I want to do some more HR training but like you, I also hate the strap.

Did you pair the HRM with the watch again?
    Is it Garmin? I *think* you're meant to leave the battery out of it for 10 minutes or some sh*te and then put new one in. I've had batteries explode when putting new batteries in to HRM.

Also, did you put battery in the right way around?

Did you pair the HRM with the watch again?

What do I need to do to 'pair' it again? I just turned the watch on and it displayed 'HR Monitor detected', but it was doing that before as well.
    Is it Garmin? I *think* you're meant to leave the battery out of it for 10 minutes or some sh*te and then put new one in. I've had batteries explode when putting new batteries in to HRM.

Yes, Garmin FR210. I didn't know that about leaving time in between. Probably a minute between batteries max.
    Also, did you put battery in the right way around?

Battery is definitely in the right way around.

With the 310 it's settings > system > data transfer > pairing 'on'

Have you tried reading your device manual? :)
    http://www.tramsoft.ch/downloads/garmin/manuals/garmin_forerunner210/forerunner210_owners-manual_en.pdf

I googled it for you and, randomly, apparantly flipping the battery works with FR210...

I've mangled the screws now. Where would I get four more of them? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've an old unit that I had to replace I think. Is yours working now or is it still fecked?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've an old unit that I had to replace I think. Is yours working now or is it still fecked?

Well, it's still not working.
    I replaced the battery and tightened it too much. Trying to unscrew them again now so I can turn the battery around. If I do manage to get them back out, there's no way they'll be fit for use again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well, it's still not working.
    I replaced the battery and tightened it too much. Trying to unscrew them again now so I can turn the battery around. If I do manage to get them back out, there's no way they'll be fit for use again.

How old is your HRM? Mine failed last year when still under warranty and Garmin replaced it, no questions asked.

The screws are easily messed up alright, but if you can get them out you could probably find replacements in Maplins or somewhere like that. Use the right kind of screwdriver. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    How old is your HRM? Mine failed last year when still under warranty and Garmin replaced it, no questions asked.

The screws are easily messed up alright, but if you can get them out you could probably find replacements in Maplins or somewhere like that. Use the right kind of screwdriver. ;)

Less than a year old. Never even thought of the warranty.
    Thanks Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

My hrm strap for my 610 also died. I ended up buying a Polar strap ( cheaper than garmin) and clipped in the original garmin dongle. If you have a similar strap, that may be a solution.

Like you, i don't like the chest strap and am looking around at alternatives. The only decent one I seen so far is the Tomtom GPS watch with HR sensor on the watch strap. It's pricey though.

I've the same setup, Polar strap with the Garmin head unit and 610 watch. Been going strong for many months now.

Strap seems to survive the washing machine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Hi P, a bit late to the party but just so you know for future reference I have a precision screwdriver set which I bought specifically for the purpose of changing the battery in my HRM so if you ever need to borrow it just shout.

My log is officially one year old tomorrow. I thought I'd compile some tables & statistics to celebrate :).

Firstly let's update the marathon table:

Marathon|Total|First Half|Second Half|Difference
    Dublin 2010|3:39:36|1:44:22|1:55:14|+10:52
    Berlin 2011|3:35:20|1:46:09|1:49:11|+3:02
    Chicago 2013|3:34:53|1:45:00|1:49:53|+4:53
    Seville 2014|3:08:25|1:32:47|1:35:38|+2:51
    Berlin 2014|2:59:11|1:28:13|1:30:58|+2:45
    Dublin 2014|3:08:42|1:31:55|1:36:47|+4:52

Another positive split on Monday, but I'm not going to be harsh on myself. Conditions were difficult and very few negative splitted. Maybe next time?

Mileage

Passed 2,000 miles for the year with more than two months to spare. Won't be adding an awful lot to that before 2015, but I do hope to get a few more races/timed runs in before 2014 is out.

Month|Mileage
    January|229
    February|151
    March|166
    April|201
    May|160
    June|230
    July|235
    August|284
    September|214
    October|132

Total Yearly Mileage to 31st October: 2,002

Racing

I've raced on sixteen occasions so far in 2014 (4 x 5k, 1 x 5m, 3 x 10k, 2 x 10m, 3 x HM, 3 x Marathon).

Month|Race|Time
    February|Enniscorthy 10k|39:07
    February|Seville Marathon|3:08:25
    March|Marlay parkrun|18:19|
    March|Larne HM|1:25:25
    April|Naas parkrun|18:03
    April|Clonakilty 10 Mile|65:02
    May|Tubber 10k|38:58
    May|St Annes parkrun|17:54
    May|Terenure 5 Mile|29:58
    June|Portumna HM|1:24:10
    July|Fingal 10k|37:07
    July|Mullingar 10 Mile|61:40
    August|Marlay parkrun|17:15
    August|Longford HM|1:20:17
    September|Berlin Marathon|2:59:11
    October|Dublin Marathon|3:08:42

Last Monday is the first time I've failed to improve on a previous race result. It's not something I want to make a habit of, but realise that improvement like 2014 will be much more difficult to maintain next year. I'll try though.

Progress

Distance|January 2014 pb|Current pb|Improvement
    5k|19:22|17:15|-2:07
    5m|34:23|29:58|-4:25
    10k|44:33|37:07|-7:26
    10m|1:15:22*|1:01:40|-13:42
    HM|1:39:12|1:20:17|-18:55
    Marathon|3:34:53|2:59:11|-35:42

*Official pb was 1:25:25 from my only ever previous 10 mile race in 2010. This is taken from my 10 mile split in the Clontarf HM last November.

Decent improvement at all distances in 2014. With consistent training I'm optimistic that this can continue, just probably not at quite the same rate.

Well done, some pretty epic improvements there alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

That's an impressive year's improvement yaboya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Deadly man, great to see some concise stats behind all the PBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Distance|January 2014 pb|Current pb|Improvement
    5k|19:22|17:15|-2:07
    5m|34:23|29:58|-4:25
    10k|44:33|37:07|-7:26
    10m|1:15:22*|1:01:40|-13:42
    HM|1:39:12|1:20:17|-18:55
    Marathon|3:34:53|2:59:11|-35:42

U need a 50km time to complete dat table....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can I ask you what sort of pace would you have over 50/100m?
    You have a fine set of races done there? What was the favourite? I think you said before that the Portumna one was a tough one, least enjoyable?

Impressive. However I'm encouraged that I'm reasonably close to your jan 2014 PBs @ 10m and M. :)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    U need a 50km time to complete dat table....

At the moment, I've no desire to go further than the marathon. Never say never though.....:)

Can I ask you what sort of pace would you have over 50/100m?

No idea. Would you believe that this time last year I'd never even run a 5k? I only made my 5k debut last December and have never run anything shorter.
    You have a fine set of races done there? What was the favourite?

Dublin last Monday was definitely my favourite. After that, it was probably the Longford HM. I unexpectedly took off in the last mile or so there having felt close to fcuked just a few minutes earlier. Was really buzzing when I finished that race.
    I think you said before that the Portumna one was a tough one, least enjoyable?

Portumna is the only race in that entire table I wasn't happy with. The whole race felt like an ordeal from start to finish and I was never hitting my pre-race target of sub 1:23. I still can't pinpoint what exactly was wrong with me that day. I lay on the grass for fifteen minutes after that race completely devoid of any energy. I've never felt that bad after any other race of any other distance.....ever.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Impressive. However I'm encouraged that I'm reasonably close to your jan 2014 PBs @ 10m and M. :)

Imagine how much you'll beat them by when you stop sandbagging ;)

At the moment, I've no desire to go further than the marathon. Never say never though.....:)

Given that the marathon seems to be your main goal, it is interesting that a lot of people have PB'd in the marathon after a block of ultra training/race.
    I wouldn't rule it out myself. Only problem could be trying to keep the toenails. A couple of my toenails are a bit red after Monday.

Ha. Doubt if I'll ever have a year like your 2014. Well done.

Given that the marathon seems to be your main goal, it is interesting that a lot of people have PB'd in the marathon after a block of ultra training/race.
    I wouldn't rule it out myself. Only problem could be trying to keep the toenails. A couple of my toenails are a bit red after Monday.

One of mine fell off this morning :pac:

I never had any issue with the toenails upto now. I wear the 1000 mile socks on the long runs only and they gave me quite good protection.
    Are you going to target a 5k/10k block of training now before getting set for Hamburg?

50k isn't even an ultra...

I never had any issue with the toenails upto now. I wear the 1000 mile socks on the long runs only and they gave me quite good protection.
    Are you going to target a 5k/10k block of training now before getting set for Hamburg?

If I can sort my HRM, I'll probably just plug away training using that for a couple of months, fitting races in wherever suits. I hit most of my pb's this year during that style of training.

50k isn't even an ultra...

Anything further than 26.2 miles is too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Anything further than 26.2 miles is too far for me.

Why don,t you just run every marathon in Europe once ?

I once heard of a fellow who went to a race meeting at every horse track in the uk just for the craic :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just read your DCM report now. Great read and great run. Then there's that PB table above, some amazing process there. Really curious now to see what 2014 goals you set.

Advertisement