Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Training update.....

Tuesday 28th Oct - Nothing
    Wednesday 29th Oct - Nothing
    Thursday 30th Oct - Nothing
    Friday 31st Oct - Nothing
    Saturday 1st Nov - Nothing
    Sunday 2nd Nov - Nothing
    Monday 3rd Nov - Nothing
    Tuesday 4th Nov - Nothing
    Wednesday 5th Nov - Nothing
    Thursday 6th Nov - Nothing

Lots of alcohol & junk/rubbish food in there too :). I'm heading to Canada tomorrow for a week, so it will be at least the 15th or 16th before I hit the roads again. I plan to get back training with some easy running, possibly taking in a couple of parkruns before the Jingle Bells 5k on the 6th December where I hope to have a go at going sub 17.
    I've still had no joy with a response from Garmin about my HRM (despite three emails since this time last week. They don't answer the phone!), so I've gone ahead and ordered a Polar FT2 for the specific purpose of training by HR. It seems to be well reviewed in relation to that particular feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Now that's a quality training block, great effort

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've still had no joy with a response from Garmin about my HRM (despite three emails since this time last week. They don't answer the phone!), so I've gone ahead and ordered a Polar FT2 for the specific purpose of training by HR. It seems to be well reviewed in relation to that particular feature.

Their email response time is embarrassingly slow 5-7 working days or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

You be lucky if that. And when they do finally respond to your very detailed question they ask how can we help and you have to wait another week! Grrrr

I just ring now and usually get a response within 10mins

viperlogic wrote: »
    You be lucky if that. And when they do finally respond to your very detailed question they ask how can we help and you have to wait another week! Grrrr

I just ring now and usually get a response within 10mins

I went to their idea section and submitted one of my own:

'Respond to emails from your customers about your faulty products' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Enjoy Canada.

Time for a quick update....

Toronto Training Camp (7th November - 15th November)

Spent eight days eating & drinking like an obese North American. No running. Feel like I'm at least two stone heavier.
    Got back to Dublin early yesterday morning and managed a few hours sleep before another big roast dinner in the evening. Watched the DCM programme that I'd had taped from Setanta and saw myself in a starring role at the top of Heartbreak Hill Roebuck Road :D.

Sunday 16th November

After 20 days of zero running and mega binging, I decided to get my act together again today after a good night's sleep.

A.M.
    75 minutes Easy - 8.75 miles @ 8:41min/mile average (132bpm avg)

Awoke early enough and hit the road almost straight away, as I was feeling good and it was a nice morning outside. I expected to struggle, but I skipped along nicely and this actually felt really effortless towards the end. Wore my new Polar FT2 for the first time, which only measures HR & time so the distance is an educated guess and I've got no individual mile splits.

P.M.
    60 minutes Easy - 7.17 miles @ 8:23 min/mile average (140bpm avg)

Despite a not so great forecast, the perfect running weather held all the way through to tonight, meaning I couldn't wait to get back out there. I texted Duanington on the off chance he'd be around for a run, which he was and we got going at around 8pm. Miles ticked by much quicker than this morning (as they always do in company) even if the HR was slightly higher. I think that's more down to me using up energy blabbing, than the actual running effort! I wore my Garmin so I'd have mile splits this time.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:36
    Mile 2 - 8:06
    Mile 3 - 8:07
    Mile 4 - 8:22
    Mile 5 - 8:07
    Mile 6 - 8:33
    Mile 7 - 8:40
    0,17 - 1:35

Two very pleasant runs that were far more manageable & enjoyable than I'd originally expected. I'm far less pessimistic about the Jingle Bells 5k now than I was at 8am this morning. Delighted to be back :)

Monday 17th November - 45 minutes Easy
    4.46 miles @ 9:13min/mile average (131bpm avg)

Felt really stiff & sore all over today. The equivalent of the 'bounce' factor in a racehorse. Just a short run at recovery pace with the intention of doing just that. Hoping to be feeling good enough to give a steady session a bash on Wednesday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:11
    Mile 2 - 9:05
    Mile 3 - 9:14
    Mile 4 - 9:15
    0.46 - 4:24

I actually completed closer to 5 miles today, but the Garmin took almost half a mile to warm up, so only recorded what's above in 41:08. I was bang on 45 minutes on the Polar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Drove past you on Ballybough Rd yesterday morning... Would have beeped but didn't want you to think you were being harassed by some random motorist!

annapr wrote: »
    Drove past you on Ballybough Rd yesterday morning... Would have beeped but didn't want you to think you were being harassed by some random motorist!

Is that the same excuse everyone else who ignores me uses? :P

• Advertisement

Tuesday 18th November - 90 minutes Easy
    10.08 miles @ 8:56min/mile average (132bpm avg)

Legs still really sore for this, but I feel like I ran that out of them and should be fine by tomorrow. It seems every time I take any sort of a break I struggle with soreness coming back. I maintained a very consistent HR all the way through the run, without paying too much attention to the mile splits. The wind & hills are probably the reason for the variance in pace for some of them, while the first mile was a little quicker as it wasn't exposed to either and I was also only warming up at that stage. Normal service resumed on the waves/acknowledgements front, 0/4 today :pac:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:08
    Mile 2 - 8:49
    Mile 3 - 9:15
    Mile 4 - 9:14
    Mile 5 - 9:17
    Mile 6 - 9:05
    Mile 7 - 9:04
    Mile 8 - 8:46
    Mile 9 - 8:42
    Mile 10 - 8:54
    0.08 - 4:24

Wednesday 19th November - HR Max Test

Having toyed with the idea of giving a steady session a go today, I decided (swayed by the talk on the Graduate thread) instead that it was about time I calculated an accurate HR Max for myself. This is especially important since I'm going to be training by HR for the next few months. I had attempted this twice before with the Garmin HRM and the results seemed inconsistent & unreliable. I settled on 177bpm a few months ago, as that was the highest I hit during the 2400m test, despite the actual HR Max test only giving me 175. Since I now have a HRM that can be trusted, I thought it was time to get this sorted once and for all.

There are many different methods recommended for calculating such a figure, and the one I used before obviously wasn't too reliable if I hit a higher bpm during the 2400m test. I feel like I need a couple of miles to warm up before my HR gradually starts to climb, so blasting out a quick 400m & 800m after a slow mile or so doesn't seem to work for me (as the previous results show). So here's what I decided to do:

2m warm up (start slow, gradually up the pace)

1m @ VO2 Max (In this case, VO2 Max = as fast as possible)

4 minutes Recovery

1m @ VO2 Max (same as first mile)

1m cool down (Try not to collapse)

This went well. I don't have splits as I was so focused on everything HR related that I came out without the Garmin. I warmed up as planned and then ran a mile as fast as I could into an absolute monster of a wind. I actually feel this probably helped make sure I hit my HR Max. I think that mile was around 5:40 - 5:50. I walked most of the recovery, before turning back with the wind behind me for the next mile. Made sure not to drop the effort level though. I reckon this one might have been below 5:30. Dizzy spells and very close to vomiting when I completed. I think that means I put it all in. Hit the same high HR in both miles - 182bpm. I'm as certain as I can be that this is correct. Around six miles in total for the day. If the weather is decent later I might throw a few recovery miles in. They'll feel really nice after that!

Wednesday 19th November (p.m.) - 45 minutes Easy
    5.11 miles @ 8:49min/mile average (131bpm avg)

So I got out for my recovery miles in the end. The hamstrings (which never normally give me trouble) were extremely tight, so I thought it would be better to get this in tonight rather than waiting until the morning. A perfect dry, cool evening awaited me just before I went to go out the door around 5:30 - 5:40pm. Then I got a phone call from a friend and by the time I hung up, the heavens had opened and everywhere was flooded (paths, roads, fields etc.). Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it and made sure to take it very easily. Hamstrings feel better for it, however one thing that's worrying me a little is a small niggle I'm feeling in the left achilles. The last time this happened, I ignored it and tore a calf muscle by the following Sunday. This time I won't make that mistake. I definitely won't be doing any running for the next couple of days and will re-evaluate on Saturday before I attempt to do anything else.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:42
    Mile 2 - 8:56
    Mile 3 - 8:46
    Mile 4 - 8:57
    Mile 5 - 8:36
    0.11 - 1:04

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

When you say niggle... what do you mean exactly?

When you say niggle... what do you mean exactly?

I can feel a pain/soreness that's not normally there.

Sunday 23rd November - 90 minutes Easy
    11 miles @ 8:24min/mile average (132bpm avg)

Deliberately took Thursday & Friday off, and I was hungover resting yesterday so didn't do any running there either. Ninety minutes at 50bpm below my HRMax was the simple plan for tonight. Managed a very even effort all the way, and the pace only started to drop slightly in the closing miles. I'm pretty happy with that, especially considering I managed almost a mile further than last week at the same HR (admittedly I added more than two minutes to get the 11th mile in :p). I would have expected the average pace to be a bit slower if I'm honest, but the perfect cold running conditions probably help in that respect. First week back after my break and I've logged 52 miles. Nothing wrong with that :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:09
    Mile 2 - 8:16
    Mile 3 - 8:32
    Mile 4 - 8:19
    Mile 5 - 8:18
    Mile 6 - 8:29
    Mile 7 - 8:21
    Mile 8 - 8:31
    Mile 9 - 8:28
    Mile 10 - 8:30
    Mile 11 - 8:28

Monday 24th November - 40 minutes Easy

Perfect morning out there for a run. Pity I didn't get to do much of it! :(
    Canned this after 500 yards when the achilles started annoying me again. I had no issues doing 11 miles last night, but I could almost feel I was going to do damage if I continued today. I probably did too much too soon last week, with 41 miles in 4 days (including 2 doubles) after a 3 week layoff. For the minute I'm going to give myself at least one rest day between runs until the body seems able to stand up to it again. Hopefully I'll be ok to do myself justice in the Jingle Bells race, but if I feel like I do today I won't be running.

Thursday 27th November - 60 minutes Easy
    7 miles @ 9:01min/mile average (133bpm avg)

Thought I'd be safe enough to chance a run today after a couple of days off. That proved to be the case, with more than an hour of running without any pain from the rogue achilles/calf. I'm still going to err on the side of caution and take tomorrow off though.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:28
    Mile 2 - 9:04
    Mile 3 - 9:02
    Mile 4 - 9:04
    Mile 5 - 9:18
    Mile 6 - 9:05
    Mile 7 - 9:08

Sunday 30th November - No training to report.

Gave myself a rest day on Friday as planned, with the intention of getting out for a few miles before work on Saturday/Sunday (or both).
    A hangover put paid to yesterday's plans and I was just too tired to get up early enough this morning. Rather than admitting I've just been plain lazy, I'll pretend I've been looking after my myself and making sure I get to the start line fit next Saturday. My training has been so poor though that I really don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

You'll be fine, my training has been very average since Dublin as well. You won't have lost any fitness in my opinion.

Sub 17 is odds on...

• Advertisement

Monday 1st December - 60 minutes Easy
    7.13 miles total - 6m @ 8:42min/mile average (133bpm avg)
    1.13 miles with 10 x 100m Strides - 6:56min/mile average (164bpm avg)

Very cool out there this morning, but perfect for running once you're dressed appropriately. Planned to just get an easy hour in, but I'm paranoid about how I'll hold up on Saturday considering my recent problems. To describe my achilles as an injury would be exaggerating, but the fact that there's something noticeable there each time I run in the past 10 days prove to me it's not imaginary either. Stuck to the plan for the first six miles, but decided to throw some strides in towards the end to see how I'd handle 5k pace. The definitive answer is: I'm not really sure. It definitely hurt more when I ran faster, but at that stage I was already running for 50+ minutes. I'm not feeling any discomfort now afterwards either. I'll take the rest of the week easy enough and see how I feel on Saturday morning. Really don't want a DNS/DNF.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:03
    Mile 2 - 8:34
    Mile 3 - 8:45
    Mile 4 - 9:01
    Mile 5 - 9:03
    Mile 6 - 8:46
    *Mile 7 - 6:13
    0.13 - 1:38

*includes strides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nothing worse than having a niggle hanging over you going into a race Yaboya1.
    There's probably little to be gained from anything other than easy stuff at this stage anyway, getting to the start line fit and healthy has to be the priority now.

A DNS and remaining injury free is much better than a DNF and picking up an achilles related injury. Achilles niggles are there for a reason, you're being told to back off or risk being sidelined for potentially a few weeks. I know the feeling of the achilles niggling at you, like you're almost on the edge of a serious injury and it's frustrating when you're training well or coming up to a race you had your eye on. I had the same experience in the build up to DCM, knew I was close to a bad injury and I reluctantly backed off any sort of fast running that week and combined with a few days off, did the job and got me to the line ready to go. Only you know yourself how serious it is but if it hurt when you ran faster I think you're in danger of doing some damage. There's little to be gained from racing the 5k especially as its not a goal race and you know yourself there'll be plenty more down the line. It's been a great year for you, targets smashed all over the place so would be a shame to pick up an injury potentially upsetting your momentum as you hit the new year and no doubt you've got some ambitious targets in mind for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

jebuz wrote: »
    There's little to be gained from racing the 5k especially as its not a goal race and you know yourself there'll be plenty more down the line. It's been a great year for you, targets smashed all over the place so would be a shame to pick up an injury potentially upsetting your momentum as you hit the new year and no doubt you've got some ambitious targets in mind for next year.

+1
    Not too much to be gained (that cant be got later) and a lot to be lost if it flares up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Agree with others there is always another race get it seen too before you make it much worse.

Thanks lads.
    I agree with you all tbh. It was running on such a niggle that saw me tear a calf muscle 18 months ago.
    I'll see how I feel on Saturday. If it's still at me I'll give it a miss. Niggle free I'll probably give it a go, but allow myself the option of dropping out if I feel it coming on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Had a DNS in the Jingle Bells myself last year. Still blagged the mug though. :)

Saturday 6th December - Jingle Bells 5k (18:26)
    5k @ 3:42min/km average

So it seems like I'm one of very few not to snag a pb this morning. I can't complain though (considering my poor training, lack of fitness and recent injury worries), so I won't. Just in case I forgot, I was given a harsh reminder of how difficult 5k's are. AMK can confirm this as he tried to speak to me while I hung over the railing dry retching at the finish. Great race and super fast course. It's just a pity I wasn't in the shape to take advantage. I'll be back for revenge next year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

dry retching?
    Sandbagger :D

• Advertisement

I thought I saw you in the club after the race but we've never met so how would I know?! :D

I thought I saw you in the club after the race but we've never met so how would I know?! :D

You should have introduced yourself so.
    Still no sign of the ninja chocolate biscuit cake. That's two years in a row now apparently......:pac:

You should have introduced yourself so.
    Still no sign of the ninja chocolate biscuit cake. That's two years in a row now apparently......:pac:

There was a load of it in the bar!

I did actually see you going down the stairs but was otherwise engaged. ;) Well done today, nice running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

How are the recent niggles yaboya? Hope there were no ill effects from the race.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    How are the recent niggles yaboya? Hope there were no ill effects from the race.

I'm actually fine now laura. Taking the week off between Monday & Saturday was probably the best decision I made in a while. In the end it was a lack of fitness rather than any injury niggles that saw me run a time slower than I'm capable of. I'm going to take a few more days off (just to be safe) and ease back into training gradually after that, as I've no more races coming up until the Raheny 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm actually fine now laura. Taking the week off between Monday & Saturday was probably the best decision I made in a while. In the end it was a lack of fitness rather than any injury niggles that saw me run a time slower than I'm capable of. I'm going to take a few more days off (just to be safe) and ease back into training gradually after that, as I've no more races coming up until the Raheny 5.

Good to hear it didn't flare up. Sounds like the sensible approach worked so! Looking forward to the raheny 5 myself.

• Advertisement

No training to report since the Jingle Bells. It's doubtful I'll do anything before Thursday at the earliest. Feel like the blowout at the weekend did me a lot of good though. No niggles to report either, so looking forward to getting started again soon.

Forgot to add Saturday's splits:

Mile 1 - 5:59
    Mile 2 - 6:07
    Mile 3 - 5:48
    0.11 - 0:33

In other news, after weeks of emails and complaining I eventually received my replacement HRM (f.o.c. as the original one was still under warranty) from Garmin. I think I'll stick with the Polar for the HADD stuff though, but it's nice to have a spare (even though it's probably unreliable like the last one :p).

Thursday 11th December - 45 minutes Easy
    5m @ 9:00min/mile average (134bpm avg)

Had shoved the running gear in the car last night, and only realised when I went to get it before I went out today that I'd packed my Timex €10 Lidl special stopwatch instead of my Garmin. To combat this, I ran an out and back route that I'm pretty confident measures 2.5 miles to gauge my distance. I was trying to average 132bpm for the entire run, but the wind made it very difficult and there were times I'd have had to slow to walking pace to stay on target. Happy enough with how close I got in the circumstances. No niggles and no mile splits either due to the absent Garmin.

Friday 12th December - 30 minutes Easy
    3m @ 9:10min/mile average (135bpm avg)

I'm finding it really hard to stay 50bpm below my HR Max with that breeze blowing out there. It seems making any effort jogging into it sees the HR shoot up. Similar to yesterday though, I managed to stay pretty close to the target. I threw 6 x 100m strides in after the miles and straight into a strong headwind. They hurt!

Mile 1 - 8:46
    Mile 2 - 9:21
    Mile 3 - 9:24

If I'm feeling good in the morning, I might give a parkrun a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fair play to you P, I wouldn't have the patience for that HR training, it would drive me demented but it definitely stood to you on the last cycle.

TbL

Saturday 13th December - St Anne's parkrun
    5k @ 3:45min/km average (18:44)

An almost identical performance to last weekend. The extra three seconds per kilometre can probably be put down to the icy conditions underfoot, as you had to watch your step very carefully in places which made it impossible to go flat out. Even so, the first three guys home finished in the mid 16's which is hugely impressive. I managed to scrape into the top ten despite there only being 124 runners, which shows the standard on show at this particular timed run today. I guess that's about where I am at the moment. Some solid training is badly needed over the next few weeks if I'm to start the year off well in Raheny. Felt very one paced this morning. I had a guy about 20m ahead of me in the 900m finishing straight. Normally I'd fancy myself to pick him up, but I just couldn't catch him (the split suggests I sped up considerably, but I'm not so sure) Feels like the lack of recent training has definitely cost me a gear or two. The 17:15 I ran on a tougher course in Marlay four months ago seems a world away.

Splits:

Km 1 - 3:44
    Km 2 - 3:53
    Km 3 - 3:56
    Km 4 - 3:55
    Km 5 - 3:16

• Advertisement

Sunday 14th December - 60 minutes Easy
    6.84m @ 8:55min/mile average (135bpm avg)

Lovely morning for a run out there. Nice and cool, but not icy and dangerous like yesterday. Delighted I set the alarm now :)

Splits (forgot to change the watch back to Miles!):

Km 1 - 5:38
    Km 2 - 5:11
    Km 3 - 5:25
    Km 4 - 5:36
    Km 5 - 5:30
    Km 6 - 5:24
    Km 7 - 5:31
    Km 8 - 5:40
    Km 9 - 5:41
    Km 10 - 5:35
    Km 11 - 5:47

Tuesday 16th December - HADD 2400m Test

A cold, dull, wet and horrible day. Perfect for a run :).
    I've decided there's no point in comparing any of my HADD training from the summer against anything I'm doing at the moment, as I'm clearly miles off that level of fitness judging on my two most recent 5k races. So I'm going to gradually build up the weekly mileage and HR in the steady sessions starting from scratch. Considering I now have a reliable HR Max, the only thing left to do before I got under way was complete a 2400m test. This would give me a fair guide as to where I'm currently at. It's recommended to do this when you're rested and fresh (as if for a race). Since I'd been forced to take yesterday off, I thought today would a good opportunity to get it done. I hit the Lucan track for the session.

Results are below:

3.16m warm up (8:13min/mile @ 131bpm avg)

2400m @ 130 bpm (Actual 131 bpm) - 9:15 min/mile average
    2400m @ 140 bpm (Actual 138 bpm) - 7:59 min/mile average
    2400m @ 150 bpm (Actual 148 bpm) - 6:57 min/mile average
    2400m @ 160 bpm (Actual 159 bpm) - 6:15 min/mile average
    2400m @ 170 bpm (Actual 169 bpm) - 5:33 min/mile average

1.97m cool down (9:06 min/mile @ 137bpm avg)

The middle three intervals were the easiest to hold the HR/pace. I really struggled to stay below 130bpm for the first 2400m (which shows the difference in fitness since the summer as I was regularly running sub 9 minute miles at a HR around/below 120bpm) and was surprised I managed to keep it so close to target. Jogging six laps around a track at that HR/pace is extremely boring. I really don't know how anyone manages it for that 24 hour race in Belfast. It doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. The rest are a bit less monotonous as you're working harder and moving quicker, so you don't notice it as much. The final 2400m felt like a 5k race. Looking back at the split now, I can see why! Delighted to have got this out of the way as it now gives me a marker to look back on for the next few months. I'm going to introduce steady sessions again next week starting at 145bpm and move on from there. Looking forward to the challenge of getting back to where I was a few months ago, and then improving on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is that 5:33 min/mile pace for the last 2400m? That's almost half a 5k at the end of an already decent session...you can't be that far off your 5k PB pace surely? Maybe your recent result was a bit of an anomoly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is that 5:33 min/mile pace for the last 2400m? That's almost half a 5k at the end of an already decent session...you can't be that far off your 5k PB pace surely? Maybe your recent result was a bit of an anomoly??

Would have to agree with Meno here, must be an anomaly there somewhere surely? How can you only be running 6 minute mile pace in a 5k but then hold 5.33 pace for a mile and a half in this test? Maybe you just had two bad races and your fitness is better than you think?

menoscemo wrote: »

Yes, a full 2400m at 5:33 pace having already completed everything that's listed above it. I don't think my last two 5k results are anomalies. I've explained my reasoning below.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Would have to agree with Meno here, must be an anomaly there somewhere surely? How can you only be running 6 minute mile pace in a 5k but then hold 5.33 pace for a mile and a half in this test? Maybe you just had two bad races and your fitness is better than you think?

I've had two bad results in races and reading these two comments and having had a few hours to think about it I'm come to the following conclusions:

I haven't actually lost much fitness. I went too easy on myself in both races (I'll forgive myself for the DCM considering the circumstances around that and conditions on the day) and the splits prove this (especially the middle mile in the Jingle Bells). Bar my last three races, I've gone into any other race expecting a PB and have made myself go quick enough to get it. I ran at the pace I needed to be going to hit my target time no matter how much it hurt, and was able to keep it going until the finish in most cases. The conditions in Marlay when I ran 17:15 were far worse than the Jingle Bells on a much tougher course. I had already conceded going into my last three races that I wouldn't run a PB for whatever reason and didn't make myself suffer enough during the race because of this. Maybe if I'd tried to hit my PB pace in my last two 5k races instead of making excuses before & after (lack of training, injury niggle, ice on the course), I might have run a lot quicker. Today I was totally focused on keeping the HR constant in each interval. I didn't look at the splits/pace until after the session and was surprised to see how quick I'd gone. I wanted to know where I was at, so I never let the effort drop in the last interval no matter how much it hurt. The Raheny 5 is my next chance to redeem myself.

I had already conceded going into my last three races that I wouldn't run a PB for whatever reason and didn't make myself suffer enough during the race because of this. Maybe if I'd tried to hit my PB pace in my last two 5k races instead of making excuses before & after (lack of training, injury niggle, ice on the course), I might have run a lot quicker

I can relate to this. I went into Waterford with a similar attitude (excuses were lost fitness since DCM, no sessions, not a flat course) and generally your performance reflects your mentality. Looking back I think I actually could have PB'd or at least come a lot closer if I'd hurt myself a little more but I'd already resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't racing all out. This I suppose is all part of growing as a runner. It's far from all just physiological, the head has to be in the game as much as the body.

Anyway, the result of your test are very positive and a good time to do it coming into January. Plenty of work to be done and many PB's to come, looking forward to seeing what you can do next year. Get into a club ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Those figures in particular the lower end ones seem out of sync. If you compare them with your June test they seem to have gone south for some strange reason. I would expect the pace to be quicker from 130-150 range. Below is a comparison against your June results. I use Beats per KM and it should be relatively flat/even until you hit the LT point (or whatever term you want to use here) where it should drop off. Test yesterday has it dropping off immediately from the start ??

HR|BPKm June|BPKm Dec
    120 | 690 | N/A
    130 | 673 | 753
    140 | 672 | 684
    150 | 639 | 632
    160 | 623 | 617
    170 | N/A | 573

I am aware there was a change in HRM used in the two tests but I would expect the 130 reading from yesterday to have been lower and around 685-695 very similar/close to the 140 reading.
    Two questions
    Did you take any rest between readings ?
    Was there a gap between the warm up and the first reading ?

jebuz wrote: »
    I can relate to this. I went into Waterford with a similar attitude (excuses were lost fitness since DCM, no sessions, not a flat course) and generally your performance reflects your mentality. Looking back I think I actually could have PB'd or at least come a lot closer if I'd hurt myself a little more but I'd already resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't racing all out. This I suppose is all part of growing as a runner. It's far from all just physiological, the head has to be in the game as much as the body.

Anyway, the result of your test are very positive and a good time to do it coming into January. Plenty of work to be done and many PB's to come, looking forward to seeing what you can do next year. Get into a club ;)

Yes, I totally agree.
    Earlier in the year I knew I was training well and was expecting to hit target paces in races, so didn't back off when the going got tough as I knew I was fit enough to hold it. In my last couple of races I've had doubts beforehand for whatever reason and this meant I backed off prematurely thinking I wasn't capable of holding said pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ger664 wrote: »
    Those figures in particular the lower end ones seem out of sync. If you compare them with your June test they seem to have gone south for some strange reason. I would expect the pace to be quicker from 130-150 range. Below is a comparison against your June results. I use Beats per KM and it should be relatively flat/even until you hit the LT point (or whatever term you want to use here) where it should drop off. Test yesterday has it dropping off immediately from the start ??

HR|BPKm June|BPKm Dec
    120 | 690 | N/A
    130 | 673 | 753
    140 | 672 | 684
    150 | 639 | 632
    160 | 623 | 617
    170 | N/A | 573

I am aware there was a change in HRM used in the two tests but I would expect the 130 reading from yesterday to have been lower and around 685-695 very similar/close to the 140 reading.
    Two questions

Paralysis by analysis surely?

HR|BPKm June|BPKm Dec
    120 | 690 | N/A
    130 | 673 | 753
    140 | 672 | 684
    150 | 639 | 632
    160 | 623 | 617
    170 | N/A | 573

Hi Ger,
    Thanks for the observations.
    Two questions

I took 90 second recoveries between each interval.

I ran the warm up and then threw in about 5 or 6 strides before I got started. That's probably why the average is 8:13min/mile in comparison to the cool down which is almost a minute per mile slower at a higher HR.
    I did wait for the HR to come back down to around 120bpm before I started the first interval, but maybe I shouldn't have done the strides?

• Advertisement
Advertisement