Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice report and sound logic, as you said a good blowout for you today too. I might put that sub 63 half off for a few years until I buy a bike (a motorbike!):pac:
    All the best for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

paddybarry wrote: »
    You have loads of potential to take chunks off those PBs. You ran that 5k PB in the middle of Marathon training. In fact all those PBs where off the back off Marathon training.

If you focused on getting your 5k time down by training specifically for that distance, it would pay huge dividends when you go to tackle longer distances. Krusty and Jebus logs are a good case in point.

You're probably right, but eating loads of Toblerone Cheesecake is much easier. Can you say for certain that's not the reason jebuz has improved so much? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done P, super report. You keep going like all your hard work last year the PBs will still come. Your only a young lad, look at aero2k!!

Well done P, you just need to be patient. I had 62s, 63s and I think one 67 in between my 60:43 (2011, when I was a youngster of 46) and today's 59:47. Surprisingly, or maybe not so much, today's race felt the easiest of the lot.

If you get your runs in this week, especially something short and pretty quick, you'll have a great run next Sun.

Nice to bump into you twice today, and glad I didn't spoil any of your photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

See you still have those gardening gloves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Swimming cap on as well! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done again yaboya - nice report too and good to chat to you today. I'm predicting big things from you this year - no pressure :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

And a nice prison haircut :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice warm up run for the big one next week....just loading up my BetFair account now to get my money down!!!

Great report as always.

I know it was cold early on today but you must have been toasty by 3 or 4 miles in with all that gear on. Do you think that effected your pace or your ability to hold it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice honest report and good analysis following it.

Your in good shape, not every race will be a PB, and you shouldn't expect it to be - took me a few races to come to terms with that :) - but the general progression is very evident.
    Massive things in '15 from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done P - enjoyed the report and the ramble ( analysis) at the end. Its great for us to have an insight like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You're probably right, but eating loads of Toblerone Cheesecake is much easier. Can you say for certain that's not the reason jebuz has improved so much? :pac:

As long as there are no follow up questions I can say for certain it very much IS the cheesecake.

Great report as usual and sensible tactics with the 10k in mind next week, good session if anything so you're right to focus on the positives. I didn't run today myself but I might head down to Enniscorthy next week depending on how it goes this week. I signed up months ago since it's the hometown race and then changed plans to the 10 miler but now its looking like an option (and I get free dinner from mammy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done in Trim, P! No pressure now for next week.... Hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just catching up on here. Some great performances and some great posts and rambles. Well done on the Raheny PB. I love the handicap idea ahead of Enniscorthy. It really keeps the pressure on all racers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

outforarun wrote: »
    Just catching up on here. Some great performances and some great posts and rambles. Well done on the Raheny PB. I love the handicap idea ahead of Enniscorthy. It really keeps the pressure on all racers.

Ofar, don't blinkin encourage him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ofar, don't blinkin encourage him!!

stable door, bolted etc, any encouragement from me won't make any difference now, he's on a mission, I'm surprised he hasn't distributed racing silks.

outforarun wrote: »
    stable door, bolted etc, any encouragement from me won't make any difference now, he's on a mission, I'm surprised he hasn't distributed racing silks.

Enniscorthy 10k

My market:

Dubgal72 (-5mins) - 3/1
    barryoneill50 (-3mins) - 10/3
    yaboya1 (Scratch) - 7/2
    Calvin Johnson (-3mins) - 4/1
    adrian522 (-8mins) - 7/1
    Pacing Mule (-10mins) - 10/1
    MKDTH (-20mins) - 12/1

I will not be taking bets on this as it would be a serious conflict of interest :)
    Somebody else can arrange the racing silks........

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    That is all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well this is exciting. I do hope there'll be live streaming from Enniscorthy :D I'll get the popcorn in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Enniscorthy 10k

My market:

Dubgal72 (-5mins) - 3/1
    yaboya1 (Scratch) - 7/2
    adrian522 (-8mins) - 7/1
    MKDTH (-20mins) - 12/1

I will not be taking bets on this as it would be a serious conflict of interest :)
    Somebody else can arrange the racing silks........

Lol. Yeah 10/1 does certainly reflect the odds of me getting within 10 min of you :D

• Advertisement

Lol. Yeah 10/1 does certainly reflect the odds of me getting within 10 min of you :D

The 10/1 reflects your odds of finishing 1st of the seven runners (taking the handicaps into account ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Enniscorthy 10k

My market:

Dubgal72 (-5mins) - 3/1
    yaboya1 (Scratch) - 7/2
    adrian522 (-8mins) - 7/1
    MKDTH (-20mins) - 12/1

I'll have €10 on Adrian522 please MrBookie, serious value. Didn't he finish less than 2 minutes behind Dubgal at Raheny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If the handicaps are reasonable shouldn't everyone have the same odds? :confused:

(Was never a betting man, it has to be said.)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll have €10 on Adrian522 please MrBookie, serious value. Didn't he finish less than 2 minutes behind Dubgal at Raheny?

Did you not read the small print?

Murph_D wrote: »
    If the handicaps are reasonable shouldn't everyone have the same odds? :confused:

(Was never a betting man, it has to be said.)

Theoretically yes, but opinion plays a big part in pricing ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Theoretically yes, but opinion plays a big part in pricing ;).

I'll have to study the form and make a theoretical bet. Unless meno is opening a book on this one himself. :)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'll have to study the form and make a theoretical bet. Unless meno is opening a book on this one himself. :)

I have my reasons for pricing the way I did.
    You can judge me either way when the results are in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

A 101% book gosh we are a selfless bookie :D

ECOLII wrote: »
    A 101% book gosh we are a selfless bookie :D

I make it around 119%?
    Anyway 101% is ok if I'm not the one laying the bets ;)

Tuesday 3rd February - 90 minutes Easy
    11.13m @ 8:05p/m average (134bpm avg)

I fully intended getting out for a few recovery miles yesterday evening, but circumstances prevented it and I had to take a rest day instead. Made sure to get a decent length run in tonight. Perfect out there bar a few icy patches. I felt fine effort wise but the legs were still a bit sore from Sunday. Hopefully that's gone by tomorrow.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:42
    Mile 2 - 7:57
    Mile 3 - 7:46
    Mile 4 - 7:56
    Mile 5 - 8:14
    Mile 6 - 8:16
    Mile 7 - 7:50
    Mile 8 - 8:18
    Mile 9 - 8:04
    Mile 10 - 8:28
    Mile 11 - 8:22
    0.13 - 1:08

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I know it was cold early on today but you must have been toasty by 3 or 4 miles in with all that gear on. Do you think that effected your pace or your ability to hold it?

Sorry M, only noticing your question now.

I wasn't cold after I got going in the race, but I never felt too warm or that any extra layers, gloves, hat etc. affected my pace. I'm hoping I don't need anything like that in Enniscorthy, but it was as bad down there last year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

I make it around 119%?
    Anyway 101% is ok if I'm not the one laying the bets ;)

:o Think my excel needs updating of formula's

Wednesday 4th February - 60 minutes Easy
    7.5m @ 8:05p/m average (131bpm avg)

Out early for this as I've a funeral to attend later on this morning. Met up with ECOLII & dublin runner for an interesting route around a very frosty Tymon Park. Time ticked by very quickly with the company. An enjoyable morning's work, meaning I can look forward to some guilt free pints later on :).

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:49
    Mile 2 - 8:04
    Mile 3 - 7:59
    Mile 4 - 7:53
    Mile 5 - 7:48
    Mile 6 - 7:46
    Mile 7 - 7:39
    0.5 - 4:05

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Love Tymon for running, great park. Only issue is this time of year don't get up there much as it's dark by the time I get home!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Love Tymon for running, great park. Only issue is this time of year don't get up there much as it's dark by the time I get home!

Tymon is actually grand for running in After Dark, we are still doing our club tempo runs there all winter, around the parkrun route.
    It's well lit on the St Judes side by floodlights on the limekiln side by streetlights and then over on the far side by lights from the M50/N81. There is only really a small stretch from the back of kennington/rushbrook back up to the GAA pitches that isn't well lit but even there I have never had any trouble running with the moonlight. A head torch is useful but not necessary and there are loads of people out running/walking their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tymon is actually grand for running in After Dark, we are still doing our club tempo runs there all winter, around the parkrun route.
    It's well lit on the St Judes side by floodlights on the limekiln side by streetlights and then over on the far side by lights from the M50/N81. There is only really a small stretch from the back of kennington/rushbrook back up to the GAA pitches that isn't well lit but even there I have never had any trouble running with the moonlight. A head torch is useful but not necessary and there are loads of people out running/walking their dogs.

What days and times do ye do those tempo runs?

paddybarry wrote: »
    What days and times do ye do those tempo runs?

Tempo tuesdays and track thursdays is pretty much the norm.

We always start with a w/u jog from the clubhouse at 6:15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Invite me next time for your Tymon meet ups as I'm living right next to it. Would be more of a steady run for me at your pace.

guilt free pints...
    Good for carbo-loading, make sure you have enough ;)

guilt free pints...

ah now, head games starting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Yaboya1

Great training log, I had a lot of question based on Hadd training but they never posted and can’t remember the exact questions on how you have been finding it?

I started running at 75% for easy runs in July, then in October started the plan asHadd prescribes, finished stage 2 but went back to do some speed work after a poor race before I realised stage 3 and stage 4 are where the gains are made so am now half way through sage 3 (158 -164) it takes me about 6 weeks to work my way up to 60 mins.

I allow a +/- 10 seconds on the average time for wind, change in gradient etc. certainly helped me in increasing mileage but still don’t know if it will yield great results.

• Advertisement

Invite me next time for your Tymon meet ups as I'm living right next to it.

Will do.

guilt free pints...

I had plenty. Enough to enforce a rest day today instead of easy miles......

SWL wrote: »
    Yaboya1

Great training log, I had a lot of question based on Hadd training but they never posted and can’t remember the exact questions on how you have been finding it?

I started running at 75% for easy runs in July, then in October started the plan asHadd prescribes, finished stage 2 but went back to do some speed work after a poor race before I realised stage 3 and stage 4 are where the gains are made so am now half way through sage 3 (158 -164) it takes me about 6 weeks to work my way up to 60 mins.

I allow a +/- 10 seconds on the average time for wind, change in gradient etc. certainly helped me in increasing mileage but still don’t know if it will yield great results.

Hi SWL.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I haven't really been running by percentage of HRMax. Basically I did the test to establish my HRMax and started my steady state runs based on what the programme recommended. I then move up 5bpm when I feel I've mastered that particular HR. My easy runs are done around 50bpm below my HRMax (or lower). This Sunday will be my third race in three weeks, so that along with other external circumstances have slightly affected my training lately. When I get back to normal next week, my Steady state runs will be at 155bpm (approx 85% of HRMax). The predicted HRMarathon for me would be around 165bpm when well trained.

I had plenty. Enough to enforce a rest day today instead of easy miles......
    Oops, sounds like you had one for each of Sunday's stable too :eek:

Oops, sounds like you had one for each of Sunday's stable too :eek:

head games again... don't mind him DG!!

Friday 6th February - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 7:38p/m average (133bpm avg), 1m @ 6:33 (158bpm avg)

Another less than ideal training week which couldn't really be avoided. I had planned to run yesterday, but felt a couple of hours extra sleep would be more beneficial. Definitely felt like that paid off tonight. Cruised around pretty easily for the first seven miles and even the strides didn't feel as bad as normal. No running tomorrow. I might give myself a going over with the foam roller in the evening though. Roll on Sunday. Feeling pretty good about it.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:33
    Mile 2 - 7:28
    Mile 3 - 7:25
    Mile 4 - 7:31
    Mile 5 - 7:59
    Mile 6 - 7:42
    Mile 7 - 7:45
    Mile 8 - 6:33
    0.03 - 0:13

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck Sunday, should see you don there anyway.

Online reg closes at midnight. €15 on sunday.

Best of luck Sunday, should see you don there anyway.

Best of luck to you too.
    May the best handicapped runner win :).
    Online reg closes at midnight. €15 on sunday.

I'm signed up since November/December ;)

Friday 6th February - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 7:38p/m average (133bpm avg), 1m @ 6:33 (158bpm avg)

Another less than ideal training week which couldn't really be avoided. I had planned to run yesterday, but felt a couple of hours extra sleep would be more beneficial. Definitely felt like that paid off tonight. Cruised around pretty easily for the first seven miles and even the strides didn't feel as bad as normal. No running tomorrow. I might give myself a going over with the foam roller in the evening though. Roll on Sunday. Feeling pretty good about it.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:33
    Mile 2 - 7:28
    Mile 3 - 7:25
    Mile 4 - 7:31
    Mile 5 - 7:59
    Mile 6 - 7:42
    Mile 7 - 7:45
    Mile 8 - 6:33
    0.03 - 0:13
    That looks you've increased pace compared to lately but stayed in low hr zone?

• Advertisement

That looks you've increased pace compared to lately but stayed in low hr zone?

Maybe all those carbs on Wednesday did me good? :D

Seriously though, I think the race efforts the last two Sundays have helped improve my fitness a little bit. Another thing that may explain the quicker pace is that my first few miles are generally downhill in the cold while warming up. It takes a while to get the beats up in those circumstances.

Advertisement