Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    Hope its nothing serious P.

No, nothing serious at all.
    Similar experience to Krusty on his first go out there. Was on for a good time in difficult conditions too. First ever DNF, but I thought it was the right thing to do as I had basically taken a short cut by accident.

On to Hamburg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Could of been worse, I thought you were injured when I read that.

Saturday 28th March - 2.58m @ 5:49 average (14:59) DNF

After a change in working hours and a rare Saturday off, I decided on racing a parkrun to see how close I could get to my current pb. After my car got written off on my way to Skerries two weeks ago, myself and the g/f had sat in a café out there sipping coffee & perusing their nice looking menu. We agreed it would be nice to fit in the nearby Ardgillan parkrun some day, before rewarding ourselves with something nice off the tasty looking menu afterwards. As it happened, today was that day.

Pre-Race

I felt great going into this. I've kept my mileage pretty high in recent weeks (bar Cheltenham week) and was pretty fresh having only covered a few easy miles with strides on Friday evening. I knew from previous reports this was a tough course and a pb was unlikely, but I thought I might give it a go in the right circumstances. When we arrived around 9am, the gale that was blowing made that seem a whole lot less likely. My plan was to chase the leader and try my best to take it up myself at some stage. I'd no idea who/what standard of runner would show up, but felt I'd be in the shake up for first finisher. I didn't want to lead from the start as I wasn't sure of the course and knowing Krusty had taken a wrong turn here a few months ago, I was conscious of the same thing happening to me. I guessed there was a fair chance I'd end up on my own during the race, so studied the course carefully on the website beforehand. At the start line I felt as ready as I'd ever be.

The Race

I lined up at the front and when we got the go ahead was immediately in second place chasing the early pacesetter. I knew after 200 yards I was going to be in the first two. It was only a matter of which of those positions I would fill. The leader and myself were pulling further & further clear from the minute we jumped off. I never looked behind, but could hear nothing as we careered down the hill in the first mile. I detected from watching the guy in front that he knew the course off by heart. He moved from side to side on the paths, always running on the least rocky sections and taking the best racing line. I thought as long as I kept him in sight, my worries of taking a wrong turn somewhere would be unfounded. As we moved down towards the lowest point of the course I heard the watch beep for the first mile. 5:13! I was flying, but still a good twenty yards behind the frontrunner. As we turned back on ourselves at the bottom of the hill, I could see that I was much further ahead of the third placed runner than the leader was ahead of me. The only question now was whether I could catch him, because nobody behind was going to catch me. We moved up and down through the trees, twisting and turning until we got to the far end of the vast estate. Back up towards the point where we had joined the big loop and the second mile beeped at 6:01. I knew the last mile was the toughest with a punishing incline to finish, but felt I'd be able to pull something out of the bag with the line in sight. As we turned at the bottom for the final time, the leader had taken another 5-10 yards out of me. There was nobody behind me. I must have been at least 500/600m clear of the guy in third now, but him and the chasing pack were nowhere to be seen. As we moved back into the trees twisting and turning I could no longer see my nemesis in front. I was now in exactly the position I had dreaded from the start. Unsure where to make the final turn before we covered the last half mile back up the hill. I remembered from the website that the second lap was slightly shorter than the first and guessed there would be some sort of sign/arrow. As I came to a fork in the road, knowing I had gone right the first time, I guessed it should be left this time. There was no sign/arrow though, so I continued right. Then I looked at my watch. 2.44m. Surely if I completed another full lap along with the climb back it would be further than 5k? If only I'd kept tabs on the leader I'd know for sure. I stopped and asked a girl who was on her first lap. She didn't know. I did a U-turn and took the turn, assuming it would put me back on the right track. Just as I was about to emerge onto the path again I saw the leader flash by from right to left meaning I had taken the wrong course. I wanted to continue to the finish anyway, but didn't think that would be fair in the circumstances as I had basically taken a short cut (unintentional as it was). I stopped to a walk, disgusted with how everything had gone. I was as certain as I could be that I'd have broken 18 minutes on a tough course in very windy conditions. It was a few seconds before I got around to stopping the watch, so it was showing 6:29min/mile pace when I did, but I had been moving around 6:10 pace in that mile (having completely stopped and turned around). Assuming I'd held that pace to the finish, I'd have broken 18 minutes. The winner finished in 17:56, but he looked behind before he started the climb to the finish and saw me walking, so I'm pretty confident he eased off a bit.

Post-Race

I trudged home slowly back up the hill, my feet getting wet in the grass. Not my morning! The g/f also failed to finish, pulling up with a recurring hip injury. Probably not the course to return from injury on. In the nicest way possible, I let the volunteer at the finish know I had taken a wrong turn informing him that the website course map was incorrect. He said he was aware of that, but that they had no control over the website. I wasn't having a go at anyone but just felt it would be better if the organisers knew about something like this, especially considering I know it's happened to at least one person before me. He told me they had been a bit confused considering I was so close to the leader going into the final lap, only not to be sighted after that but that confusion had also been cleared up now. Hopefully similar situations in the future can be averted.

Thoughts

I could spend all day thinking about the little things that went wrong, but I'm not going to. The Tupac quote on TRR's log from after Bohermeen probably describes it best. Fact is I would have run 17:5x/18:0x on a tough course/windy morning. I didn't because of some minor confusion.
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

That's rough P hope you at least had something nice in the cafe to cheer yourself up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

...don't blame you for being frustrated with that experience...

wait... 'myself and the g/f'... slipped that one in very subtly... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

annapr wrote: »
    ...don't blame you for being frustrated with that experience...

wait... 'myself and the g/f'... slipped that one in very subtly... ;)

Jaysus Anna. You will never learn....I am going to give you a pass on this occasion but I can only imagine what TbL is going to come back with to that post :D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Jaysus Anna. You will never learn....I am going to give you a pass on this occasion but I can only imagine what TbL is going to come back with to that post :D

what... what did i say now? :confused::confused::confused:

... you just have a dirty mind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck P. Maybe the leader took down the arrow and threw it into a bush. :) you'll get him next time.

Hey P. That is a tough way to finish. I haven't run it so don't know the course but if the course is wrongly described on the website it should and can be corrected. The original course in St Anne's was to run clockwise and that how it was described on the website. When the anti-clockwise version was preferred in practice the website description was updated accordingly. It is not rocket science and I would be very surprised if parkrun wouldn't prefer it to be accurate. Maybe drop them an email just to flag it formally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

P it sucks what happened but parkrun's are voluntary and rely on people turning up, standing at junctions and putting out arrows. So maybe next week go out and help them fix the issue they had with the course today.

ger664 wrote: »
    P it sucks what happened but parkrun's are voluntary and rely on people turning up, standing at junctions and putting out arrows. So maybe next week go out and help them fix the issue they had with the course today.

Hi Ger.
    I know all that and I wasn't having a go at any volunteers. I've actually volunteered more times than I've run myself. There isn't actually an issue on the course, so they don't need somebody to fix it. It's a simple route down a hill, two full loops and back up the hill. It just needs to be corrected on the website. That's why I brought it to somebody's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    what... what did i say now? :confused::confused::confused:

... you just have a dirty mind!!

It's ok Anna I said the same thing myself ... Had to check if gf stood for girlfriend ... We missed that report !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hey P. That is a tough way to finish. I haven't run it so don't know the course but if the course is wrongly described on the website it should and can be corrected. The original course in St Anne's was to run clockwise and that how it was described on the website. When the anti-clockwise version was preferred in practice the website description was updated accordingly. It is not rocket science and I would be very surprised if parkrun wouldn't prefer it to be accurate. Maybe drop them an email just to flag it formally.

Yep - it can be corrected, not directly by the event team, but parkrun tech guys can fix it on request.

Shame about the wrong turn, things were looking good, perhaps even for first place....

Killerz wrote: »
    Yep - it can be corrected, not directly by the event team, but parkrun tech guys can fix it on request.

Shame about the wrong turn, things were looking good, perhaps even for first place....

I'll email them tomorrow. Forgot all about it today.
    Na, I was never catching the leader. 2nd was guaranteed though, as was my 5k time for the round numbers thread. I guess they'll just both have to wait for now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I'm only after seeing it now M, I'd let it pass this time, sure what harm if P slips it subtly in :)

Good running yesterday P, frustrating the way it finished but you were motoring!

TbL

• Advertisement

I've just sent the below email:

"I just wanted to make you aware of an issue on the Ardgillan parkrun website.
    The map on the course page is inaccurate, as I found out to my misfortune when taking a wrong turn last Saturday morning.
    I made one of the volunteers aware of this immediately after the run. He said they already knew about it, but weren't able to resolve the issue themselves.
    I thought I'd let you know formally so that hopefully the issue can be fixed and something similar doesn't happen to somebody else.

I'm not complaining in any way and hope it doesn't come across that way. I don't mean to sound at all critical.
    I love parkrun and everything it represents. The spirit & camaraderie of each event really is something special. I thoroughly appreciate all of the volunteers who give up their time every week to make the run possible and have volunteered myself on many occasions.

Keep up the good work,"

Now to plot my next parkrun pb......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Isn't it always hard to make a request without sounding like you are complaining. I hope they take it up.
    I have run at some parkruns where I didn't know the course and it is very easy to go wrong if there isn't a marshall or a good sign at each turn. I ran at Knocknacarra a couple of months back and it was like a maze. I was glad to hang onto the guy in front of me.

yaboya1 wrote: »

Now to plot my next parkrun pb......

See you in St Anne's over the next couple of weeks so :)

........actually correct that eyes on the prize!!!! See you after 26 April if it's a 5k PB attempt. You will only be welcome before that for MP miles :D

Monday 30th March - 135 minutes Easy
    17.52m @ 7:42p/m average (135bpm avg)

Absolutely disgusting out there. Felt like a complete waste of time getting battered and soaked to the skin by the inclement weather, as I'll more than likely encounter a heatwave in four weeks.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:07
    Mile 2 - 8:03
    Mile 3 - 7:48
    Mile 4 - 8:14
    Mile 5 - 7:56
    Mile 6 - 8:05
    Mile 7 - 7:57
    Mile 8 - 7:29
    Mile 9 - 7:13
    Mile 10 - 7:11
    Mile 11 - 7:25
    Mile 12 - 7:27
    Mile 13 - 7:42
    Mile 14 - 7:46
    Mile 15 - 7:47
    Mile 16 - 7:57
    Mile 17 - 7:58
    0.52 - 4:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Impressive running in that weather, it'll stand to you no doubt. Hard luck Saturday, it should not have happened but it did, at least it wasn't any of your own doing.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 30th March

Ran in and out of work today. Four birds, two stones.

A.M. - 60 minutes Easy
    8.17m @ 7:21p/m average (135bpm avg)

Out the door at 6:30am and well prepared for the weather that might await me. I wore a hat, a base layer, a neck warmer and a pair of gloves. I needn't have bothered with any of them. Beautiful morning for it.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:24
    Mile 2 - 7:25
    Mile 3 - 7:17
    Mile 4 - 7:17
    Mile 5 - 7:10
    Mile 6 - 7:25
    Mile 7 - 7:15
    Mile 8 - 7:21
    0.14 - 1:29

P.M. - 65 minutes Easy
    8.43m @ 7:43p/m average (132bpm avg)

I had another supply of the same protective gear for this evening, but looking out the office window before I left convinced me I didn't need them. I left the whole lot behind, wearing the bare minimum of a shirt, shorts and runners. Realised almost immediately that it was colder than it looked and wished I'd worn the gloves. Otherwise it was fine. That was until I got about six miles in and a hail storm began. For the second night in a row I was completely annihilated, except this time I had nothing to protect my skin from the wet, cold hard hail. Very, very painful and much of me was completely numb for the next two miles. In typical Irish fashion the sun came out just as I finished :mad:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:42
    Mile 2 - 7:49
    Mile 3 - 7:37
    Mile 4 - 7:42
    Mile 5 - 7:44
    Mile 6 - 7:46
    Mile 7 - 7:46
    Mile 8 - 7:33
    0.43 - 3:23

A new personal record of more than 34 miles in the last 24 hours for me. Legs feel fine, but I'll see how I am tomorrow evening before doing anything strenuous.

That a great couple of days to bank. Very solid running. This must be the last big mileage week. I assume you start to trim back after the weekend?

That a great couple of days to bank. Very solid running. This must be the last big mileage week. I assume you start to trim back after the weekend?

I'm just winging it tbh. The HADD method is all about building your aerobic capacity, then going finding a race when you've done that. I like racing too much to wait that long so I'm working around it as best I can. I'll probably trim back a bit alright, but by how much I'm not sure yet. I seem to run better races on heavy mileage.

Just received my Hamburg Marathon confirmation there by email.
    It's getting real now!

Since it's the last day of the month I'll throw up a table.

Month|Mileage
    January|193
    February|227
    March|222
    Total|642

Just over three weeks to go.
    Have I done enough?

It's getting real now!

Month|Mileage
    January|193
    February|227
    March|222
    Total|642

Have I done enough?

If they have hailstones in Hamburg, you will nail it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm just winging it tbh. The HADD method is all about building your aerobic capacity, then going finding a race when you've done that. I like racing too much to wait that long so I'm working around it as best I can. I'll probably trim back a bit alright, but by how much I'm not sure yet. I seem to run better races on heavy mileage.

Hamburg must be the same day as London? Are you gonna race before? Thinking of either raheny 10 mile or Kclub myself, maybe both :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hamburg must be the same day as London? Are you gonna race before? Thinking of either raheny 10 mile or Kclub myself, maybe both :pac:

Yeah same day as London. I wasn't going to race, but last Saturday is grating at me. I won't rule it out.

It's getting real now!

Month|Mileage
    January|193
    February|227
    March|222
    Total|642

Have I done enough?

Only time will tell, P. I was actually surprised by the March figures but then remembered the Cheltenham week. The single mileage figure does really tell the story. My general sense from reading your log that you are going well and have a great aerobic base. How many 20+ mile long runs have you done this cycle? How does that compare to previous cycles?

The single mileage figure does really tell the story.

Does this mean you think I have/haven't covered enough mileage? It's hard to tell just reading text without gestures/tone of voice etc. :rolleyes:

How many 20+ mile long runs have you done this cycle? How does that compare to previous cycles?

I looked this up since you asked and was actually surprised to see that I ran way more long runs (16m+) between Seville & Berlin than I have since then. However the pace of my long runs have been significantly quicker this time around. The table below illustrates this:

Time|Berlin|Hamburg
    2:15|15.14|17.52
    2:30|17.38m|19.34m
    2:45|19m|21.5m

To answer your question, I've had five runs of 16m+ this cycle:

17.49m @ 7:43p/m avg
    19.34m @ 7:46p/m avg
    21.5m @ 7:41p/m avg
    23.56m @ 7:38p/m avg
    17.52m @ 7:42p/m avg

I've also run the Berlin Marathon flat out and a nice little blowout in the DCM :). I definitely feel my aerobic capacity has improved with a lot of sessions including 10-12 PMP miles. Let's just hope I've still got whatever speed I had before :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Does this mean you think I have/haven't covered enough mileage? It's hard to tell just reading text without gestures/tone of voice etc. :rolleyes:

I looked this up since you asked and was actually surprised to see that I ran way more long runs (16m+) between Seville & Berlin than I have since then. However the pace of my long runs have been significantly quicker this time around. The table below illustrates this:

Time|Berlin|Hamburg

I've also run the Berlin Marathon flat out and a nice little blowout in the DCM :). I definitely feel my aerobic capacity has improved with a lot of sessions including 10-12 PMP miles. Let's just hope I've still got whatever speed I had before :cool:.

Just out of curiosity man, why did you go against jumping into the last 8 weeks of P+D this time round?

I'm surprised too, I thought you had a lot more long runs done but I can see the aerobic gains you have made are huge and you have a ton of med long runs done at steady and MP pace.

Just in my opinion, I think you should add more long runs next time around. It shouldn't make much difference to your current goal but the long runs of 17+ miles are not just for aerobic conditioning, they will also build mitochondria and help with glycogen use. The benefits would put the icing on an already sweet cake. Just a thought.

• Advertisement

No what is means is that it is about your overall training i.e. quality and quantity rather than a mileage figure. There would appear to be a lot of quality in your running over the last while. This can be seen clearly in the increase pace at lower heart rate.

Time|Berlin|Hamburg

Thanks, P. This was a curiosity question. Always interested in seeing how and what long runs people run over a marathon cycle and what kind of MP sessions they do. Ultimately I presume it is these sessions that make the difference.

Would definitely agreed from what I am reading that your aerobic capacity has improved significantly and looking at mile 1 from last Saturday I don't think speed is a problem;)

For what it is worth I think you have done more than enough training to bang out another PB in Hamburg all else being equal......but as we all know my knowledge and experience is pretty limited :)

Last question, for now, have you been using gels this cycle and if so, have you been taking them more or less than during previous cycle?

Last question, for now, have you been using gels this cycle and if so, have you been taking them more or less than during previous cycle?

I continue to do all my training on empty as I always have. I never take gels, drinks etc. on training runs, long or otherwise. I felt I was flagging at the end of the three hour run two weeks ago because of this, but I feel that teaches me to manage without supplements and gels/water on the day will be a bonus. Maybe I'm wrong?

I do try to carbo-load in advance of any long/important runs, but must admit I don't always do so.

Just out of curiosity man, why did you go against jumping into the last 8 weeks of P+D this time round?

I never intended jumping into it last time round either, but my HRM broke and I was left in no mans land :confused:

I continue to do all my training on empty as I always have. I never take gels, drinks etc. on training runs, long or otherwise. I felt I was flagging at the end of the three hour run two weeks ago because of this, but I feel that teaches me to manage without supplements and gels/water on the day will be a bonus. Maybe I'm wrong?

I do try to carbo-load in advance of any long/important runs, but must admit I don't always do so.

I would be with you here. I did my marathon training on empty last year and plan to do the same again this year. We can't be both wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just in my opinion, I think you should add more long runs next time around. It shouldn't make much difference to your current goal but the long runs of 17+ miles are not just for aerobic conditioning, they will also build mitochondria and help with glycogen use. The benefits would put the icing on an already sweet cake. Just a thought.

Big +1 to that.
    When I ran 3:04 in London, I know I was aerobically good for 3:01-3:02 but the legs gradually agve out after 20ish miles (cramps). It was an annoying feeling knowing I had the energy to push on but the legs wouldn't let me!!

In saying that I hadn't done any runs over 18 for 8 weeks before that marathon and I think your recent 3 hr run will hold you in good stead. All the same I think 1 more 20+ run will do you no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

I never intended jumping into it last time round either, but my HRM broke and I was left in no mans land :confused:

Ah ok, fair enough. I wasn't posting around here then and didn't know that. I thought you made a choice to jump into the P+D plan to add a little speed and threshold training.

menoscemo wrote: »
    All the same I think 1 more 20+ run will do you no harm.

This Saturday/Sunday ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Would you not worry about the gastro effects of taking a gel on the day if you haven't used them in the run up? Some of them can be hard to stomach I find.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Would you not worry about the gastro effects of taking a gel on the day if you haven't used them in the run up? Some of them can be hard to stomach I find.

I tried them on long runs when I started running and have used them in all my marathons, so I know I can handle them and they've never given me gastric problems. Besides, I have a stomach like a cement mixer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

In terms of race prep, do you feel ready?
    Do you think the last cycle where you used the last 8 weeks of P&D helped bring some structure and progression to your plan that 'could' be absent this time?? (I'm not sure.......just asking the Q :) )

I think the point that Ecoli always spoke about was 'cumulative fatigue' - I think some of the back to back runs you have done in this cycle are on the money here.

In terms of race prep, do you feel ready?
    Do you think the last cycle where you used the last 8 weeks of P&D helped bring some structure and progression to your plan that 'could' be absent this time?? (I'm not sure.......just asking the Q :) )

I think the point that Ecoli always spoke about was 'cumulative fatigue' - I think some of the back to back runs you have done in this cycle are on the money here.

Yeah I feel ready. I do take your point about structure though as I'm usually someone who has to stick to some sort of plan. However, it has suited me to follow something much more loosely with my recent life circumstances.

I also feel like I've put less pressure on myself this time, as I'm prepared to adjust my goal on race day depending on the weather. In Berlin I would have been devastated if I'd failed to go sub 3, despite the fact that 3:00-3:05 would have been a decent pb. Being honest, I wasn't even as over the moon as I should have been after that race. Hamburg will be different.

Yeah I feel ready. I do take your point about structure though as I'm usually someone who has to stick to some sort of plan. However, it has suited me to follow something much more loosely with my recent life circumstances.

I also feel like I've put less pressure on myself this time, as I'm prepared to adjust my goal on race day depending on the weather. In Berlin I would have been devastated if I'd failed to go sub 3 , despite the fact that 3:00-3:05 would have been a decent pb. Being honest, I wasn't even as over the moon as I should have been after that race. Hamburg will be different.

Hey AMK, I think you and I better move on and leave him to it before the wounds are opened up again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey AMK, I think you and I better move on and leave him to it before the wounds are opened up again :D

yeah - just failing to go sub 3 is a wayyyyy better story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

yeah - just failing to go sub 3 is a wayyyyy better story.

You guys know nothing about just failing for a sub 3. Unless u can count the seconds on one hand then you're not even close

Wednesday 1st April - 75 minutes Steady
    11m @ 6:52p/m average (156bpm avg)

I decided to give this a go taking a roundabout route home tonight. I knew the splits would be nothing like last Tuesday considering I'd be climbing most of the time, so was just happy to get a solid 75 minutes in at the Steady heart rate. I nearly managed it :p.
    No matter what route I took, I couldn't change the fact that Kiltipper is 351ft above Ringsend. I gave myself two miles to warm up this evening, just to ensure any tightness left in the legs after the past couple of days had gone. Kept the effort steady and the fact that some of the splits are far slower than others won't worry me for the reason given. One encouraging thing was that the pace dipped back below 6:40 in the seventh steady mile when I turned out of the wind for a second to extend my journey out to the required distance. Happy to get that session out of the way as I didn't want to push it back any further this week. That's 48 miles in the last 50 hours now :)

Splits:

W/u miles - 7:29, 7:49 (131bpm)

Mile 1 - 6:29
    Mile 2 - 6:49
    Mile 3 - 6:47
    Mile 4 - 6:46
    Mile 5 - 7:05
    Mile 6 - 7:00
    Mile 7 - 6:40
    Mile 8 - 7:02
    Mile 9 - 6:54
    Mile 10 - 7:12
    Mile 11 - 7:18

*C/d mile - 8:21 (146bpm)

*The climb home is really severe, especially towards the end. My HR hit 159bpm (higher than any of the Steady miles) during the cool down mile at 8:21 pace! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

It's getting real now!

Month|Mileage
    January|193
    February|227
    March|222
    Total|642

Have I done enough?

Decent!

Gavlor wrote: »
    You guys know nothing about just failing for a sub 3. Unless u can count the seconds on one hand then you're not even close

Must be officially spring if you are out of hibernation Mr G. Welcome back! You doing any running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Must be officially spring if you are out of hibernation Mr G. Welcome back! You doing any running?

Nope. Perhaps in May I'll start back, it'll be like learning to walk again!

Thursday 2nd April - 70 minutes Easy
    9.3m @ 7:32p/m average (134bpm avg)

A relatively easy run back down the hill at 6:30am. Not nice out there. Soaked to the skin for the fourth time in as many days. Only respite was on Tuesday morning.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:27
    Mile 2 - 7:22
    Mile 3 - 7:30
    Mile 4 - 7:30
    Mile 5 - 7:35
    Mile 6 - 7:33
    Mile 7 - 7:37
    Mile 8 - 7:45
    Mile 9 - 7:31
    0.3 - 2:14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

How are you going to approach taper Peter, 2 or 3 weeks? Will you still follow Hadd with shorter steady session or will you try the sharpen up type sessions from P&D?

• Advertisement
Advertisement