Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I got a race that might suit you.

Graded Meet 20/5 ~5,000m (Morton Stadium)

Chances of getting lost? 9% (just follow the signposts :))
    Chances of a PB? 61+%

:pac:

*tough luck out there today. Bottle that frustration and use it for the next one. Think you should really consider next week! Good mix of standard by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You still planning to give Enfield a bash on Tuesday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I have had similar issues at other parkruns but in fairness if you want to make a good run out of it, would you not be better doing a full warmup of the course beforehand.
    Some parkruns are easy as the route is pretty obvious with maybe only 2 turns but others are a maze.
    Anyway are you going to give the smaller distances a bash over the summer? You seem to have a lot of natural speed over the shorter distances.

You're right. At the end of the day it's my own fault. It's up to me to know the course, especially when I suspect I might be out in front on my own.
    I originally posted when the whole thing was still a bit raw and kind of wish I hadn't now. I felt I may have run a pb and possibly even broken 17 minutes. My frustration got the better of me. I'm hoping to rectify that tomorrow. There is no earthly way I'll be in front at any stage of that race! :)

The reason I didn't bother warming up on the course beforehand was because I saw a guy going out there with 5 or 6 arrow signs and assumed I'd have no issues getting lost. I don't know where he put them, because I only saw one having almost completed a full lap. I actually ended up in a dead end just before I took the wrong turn, which cost me more vital seconds as I turned back on myself and tried to avoid a teenager crossing the path onto the football pitch. Saturday wasn't my day :(

I got a race that might suit you.

Graded Meet 20/5 ~5,000m (Morton Stadium)

Chances of getting lost? 9% (just follow the signposts :))
    Chances of a PB? 61+%

:pac:

*tough luck out there today. Bottle that frustration and use it for the next one. Think you should really consider next week! Good mix of standard by all accounts.

Can't make Wednesday, but not sure I'm eligible anyway since I'm not a club member?
    I'm going to run the Bob Heffernan 5k tomorrow instead.

You still planning to give Enfield a bash on Tuesday ?

Yes.
    I actually just sorted out a lift there as I'm still without a car at the moment.
    See you down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Have a good un tomorrow :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Have a good un tomorrow :)

Gold: Sub 17
    Silver: pb

Nothing less will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    I actually just sorted out a lift there as I'm still without a car at the moment.
    See you down there?

Didn't realise you needed a lift mate. Would have happily sorted you out. If you're let down at all let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

...... This would never happen in St Anne's.

Damn right it wouldn't :)

Hard luck though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Gold: Sub 17
    Silver: pb

Nothing less will do.

Go on yaboya!!

...and try not to get lost this time ;)

• Advertisement

No good.

17:49

First time I really blew up properly in a race. Went out way too hard and really suffered in the second half. 5k is a pretty long way in those circumstances :P

Splits:

Mile 1 - 5:26
    Mile 2 - 5:55
    Mile 3 - 5:50
    0.12 - 0:41

aw, hard luck P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Tough luck P - couldn't have been easy running at pace in the wind this evening ( especially that bleedin pace!)

Tbh I'm not even disappointed. I went out at target pace and got found out. You don't get away with bluffing in this sport. I've done next to nothing the past three weeks.

As an aside, Rory Mooney who ran 16:28 passed me just after the 1k mark so maybe I did go out a little too hard also. You live and learn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Tbh I'm not even disappointed. I went out at target pace and got found out. You don't get away with bluffing in this sport. I've done next to nothing the past three weeks.

As an aside, Rory Mooney who ran 16:28 passed me just after the 1k mark so maybe I did go out a little too hard also. You live and learn :)

Fair play man! Every cloud.

You've come out of this marathon infinitly better than the last one and imo, that shows how much you have come on over the last few months. The strength is there and you should be in a great position to attack the sub-17 over the summer.

Fair play man! Every cloud.

You've come out of this marathon infinitly better than the last one and imo, that shows how much you have come on over the last few months. The strength is there and you should be in a great position to attack the sub-17 over the summer.

Maybe, maybe, but we have the much more important beer mile coming up first. That is where my focus now lies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

A vo2max session followed by a skulling session in one night, top beer mile training anyway!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    A vo2max session followed by a skulling session in one night, top beer mile training anyway!!

Tonight's session went so well that I'm thinking of revising my target from sub 10 to sub 9 :)
    I also need to gain my revenge on you for last year's defeat :pac:

Maybe, maybe, but we have the much more important beer mile coming up first. That is where my focus now lies :D

sounds like that's where your training has been focused alright :p

• Advertisement

I'll just write up a quick report. Nothing much to say though tbh.

Pre-Race

I only fully decided to run this race last night after messing up a parkrun at the weekend. I signed up and arranged a lift off meno. I wass hoping to run sub 17, or even a pb, but let's be honest I've done nothing to have such aspirations and since Saturday's DNF I've been out drinking and eating rubbish. To say my goal was optimistic is an understatement. But I thought f*ck it, go hard or go home.

The Race

I jogged the mile down to the start after picking up my bib in the hotel and chatting to the lads for a while. Conditions seemed pretty favourable and I felt my own fitness would be the only thing to blame if things didn't go to plan. After a few minutes hanging around waiting we were walked/jogged to the start line and got underway.

I tried to get off near the front since there was no starting mat and deliberately started my watch at '1' on the 3-2-1 countdown, so I'd know my time was at least the same or quicker than what my Garmin gave me. I dodged and overtook some people in the first few hundred metres that were moving slower than me and although I knew I was going a good clip, never bothered to look at my watch until the first km passed. Rory Mooney overtook me just after that mark and I looked at my watch and saw 3:20 on the clock (5:20 mile pace). I knew that was a little bit hot, but thought I'd try and continue on regardless. No point in consciously slowing down now. After we turned the hailstones started and I felt I was already slowing, but when the watch beeped after a mile it showed 5:26. Grand, some time banked (or so I thought :P). Although breathing wise I still felt fine, my legs then started to remind me that I had run about 10-15 miles in the past 3 weeks. They were just so weak. I hadn't looked at the watch (didn't want to demoralise myself even further), but I reckon it was around 1.3m in. From that point onwards it was a sufferfest. I knew I was slowing but my legs just wouldn't go any faster,. They were punishing me for the first mile, and more importantly my lack of recent miles. People streamed by me from here all the way home. Normally I don't get passed much at this stage of races, and if I do it's not without a fight but I had nothing left to give. I was going as fast as I could and that pace seemed to be getting slower and slower all the time. I remember looking down at my watch and seeing 2.6m on it. I could hear the loudspeakers ahead. I consoled myself that it was nearly over. Then we came to a sign that I thought was going to say 200m to go, but it was actually 500m. That felt like a kick in the b*ll*x. More people overtook me here, accelerating to a sprint finish and I could do nothing about it. I hadn't got one today. I didn't give up and wanted to respond, but there was nothing there. It's like when you jam on the accelerator of a car that has an empty petrol tank. The response is pretty tame. I practically crawled over the line in 17:49. At the 500m to go sign I actually thought I wouldn't get in under 18, so that was slightly pleasing. This was a lesson to me in how not to run a race.

Verdict/Thoughts

Great race. Any problems here were self-inflicted and the race itself had nothing to do with my performance. Tonight just goes to show you cannot bluff in this sport. You get out what you put in. I've put in virtually nothing the past three weeks. So that's what I got back. If I had put in the training, I'd be far more worried. So because of that I'm not that disappointed. Myself and Meno caught an off-licence on the way home before it shut and got a few beers. I got in a solid beer mile training session that I'm really happy with. I think I'm going to target sub 9 now. The good thing is I don't even have to train for that :)

Hard luck on that one. Could you have a temporary dip in race zest? Happened to me earlier this year - lost a bit of interest, especially where I had a few races in quick succession. Didn't lose the fitness or ability to record a fast time, just the mental push. Maybe a combo in your case though? Just a thought...

Killerz wrote: »
    Hard luck on that one. Could you have a temporary dip in race zest? Happened to me earlier this year - lost a bit of interest, especially where I had a few races in quick succession. Didn't lose the fitness or ability to record a fast time, just the mental push. Maybe a combo in your case though? Just a thought...

I really don't feel like that, but maybe you're right? I've done little or no training since the marathon but it really hasn't been intentional. I want to be out there, but at the moment I've to choose between that and sleep. Sleep is winning.

Disappointing 18:38 at the Tymon parkrun this morning. I'm not racing another race/timed run unless I'm doing some sort of training. It's no fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Disappointing 18:38 at the Tymon parkrun this morning. I'm not racing another race/timed run unless I'm doing some sort of training. It's no fun :(
    Don't be too hard on yourself. That's far from a quick 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

paddybarry wrote: »
    That's far from a quick 5k.

Cheap shot!! Say you meant slow.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »

That is slow for yaboya. He should be running under 17 off his Marathon fitness but you can't just sit back and put your feet up for 4-5 weeks after a marathon and think you can automatically cash in.
    Yaboya, get the finger out and start logging some training!! My 5 mile from Tuesday gives me a 18:4x 5k so If you don't wise up I'll be beating you in a race sometime soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Meant the course is far from a quick 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That is slow for yaboya. He should be running under 17 off his Marathon fitness but you can't just sit back and put your feet up for 4-5 weeks after a marathon and think you can automatically cash in.
    Yaboya, get the finger out and start logging some training!! My 5 mile from Tuesday gives me a 18:4x 5k so If you don't wise up I'll be beating you in a race sometime soon :pac:

Have to disagree with you there (respectfully of course!), just becuase you break sub 3 does not mean sub 17 is a given. 16:59, means you need to run 5.28 pace per mile or quicker and being able to run 6.50's for 26 mile doesn't translate into sub 5.30 mileing for 5k. 16:5X is fast running and shouldn't be taken for granted, it takes specific training, of which marathon training only provides a small amount of, ie providing a big aerobic base. Of course your point about no training stands as well.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there (respectfully of course!), just becuase you break sub 3 does not mean sub 17 is a given. 16:59, means you need to run 5.28 pace per mile or quicker and being able to run 6.50's for 26 mile doesn't translate into sub 5.30 mileing for 5k. 16:5X is fast running and shouldn't be taken for granted, it takes specific training, of which marathon training only provides a small amount of, ie providing a big aerobic base. Of course your point about no training stands as well.

Pconn you are taking me up wrong. I am not saying he should break 17 just because he broke 3 ( I reckon a low to mid 18 would be ok for me and several others I know to break 3).

The point I am making is that yaboya was running low 17 5ks just before his marathon (during marathon training) and had a goal of breaking 17 after the marathon. While recovery after a marathon is always important; not running a mile for 5 weeks except for turning up for 3 races is a recipe for going backwards. That's why I am telling him to get his finger out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Pconn you are taking me up wrong. I am not saying he should break 17 just because he broke 3 ( I reckon a low to mid 18 would be ok for me and several others I know to break 3).

The point I am making is that yaboya was running low 17 5ks just before his marathon (during marathon training) and had a goal of breaking 17 after the marathon. While recovery after a marathon is always important; not running a mile for 5 weeks except for turning up for 3 races is a recipe for going backwards. That's why I am telling him to get his finger out!!

Apologies, I misunderstood!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I'm not going to sugercoat it either but that's a poor run for you. The same thing happened after Berlin and Dublin last year and I thought it might be down to you feeling tired but in my opinion now, I think it's down to motivation because you don't lose that much fitness in such a short time and from your report, it came across like you didn't do much damage to your body this time around.

The reason I think this is that personally, I've had similar experiences after two marathons where my fitness just seemed to fall off a cliff. The thing I find about marathons is how mentally taxing the whole thing is from the first day of training to crossing the line. It's 5 months of training all aimed at one race and when it's over, it's a kind of shock to the system that it's all over and the motivation suffers and everything goes a bit aimless.

The only way I have found to gain it back is to pick a target race and train for it. Just getting out the door and running when you don't want to is what gets it back. The more you train, the hungrier you get in my experience.

My 2 cents on it, could be completely wrong!

Don't be too hard on yourself. That's far from a quick 5k.
    Meant the course is far from a quick 5k.

I know what you meant pb :)

But to be fair, it is slow (for me). That's not being derogatory to anyone else btw. I would imagine anyone running almost 90 seconds outside their pb over 5k would consider it slow.
    What you say about the course may be true pb, but that wasn't the reason for my performance. My legs just haven't got the miles in them lately. Plain and simple.

Just to clarify, i wasn't having a dig, i know 18.38 is very slow for you and you should be running an awful lot quicker as menoscemo pointed out. By no means was i calling you slow.

Completely agree with you.
    Few pints on Monday with Murph & Anna and then I'm getting the head down again.

pconn062 wrote: »

I agree in principle with what you're saying but as meno said, I ran low 17s more than once in the middle of marathon training. My pb is 17:15 from a windy day on a tough course in Marlay (paddybarry will verify this). I'm certain I can go sub 17 once I get my act together, but like the sub 2:50 marathon it's only own opinion until I go and do it :).

There are lots of things I can improve on from my previous marathon cycle. It's up to me to go and do that now.

I'm not going to sugercoat it either but that's a poor run for you. The same thing happened after Berlin and Dublin last year and I thought it might be down to you feeling tired but in my opinion now, I think it's down to motivation because you don't lose that much fitness in such a short time and from your report, it came across like you didn't do much damage to your body this time around.

The reason I think this is that personally, I've had similar experiences after two marathons where my fitness just seemed to fall off a cliff. The thing I find about marathons is how mentally taxing the whole thing is from the first day of training to crossing the line. It's 5 months of training all aimed at one race and when it's over, it's a kind of shock to the system that it's all over and the motivation suffers and everything goes a bit aimless.

The only way I have found to gain it back is to pick a target race and train for it. Just getting out the door and running when you don't want to is what gets it back. The more you train, the hungrier you get in my experience.

My 2 cents on it, could be completely wrong!

I agree with you. Although what I would say is that it's probably less down to motivation and more down to feeling I deserve a break after a tough block of training. The problem is I take it a bit too far :P

Just to clarify, i wasn't having a dig, i know 18.38 is very slow for you and you should be running an awful lot quicker as menoscemo pointed out. By no means was i calling you slow.

Cheers tang.
    I know that ;)

I'll be honest though, I would like a bit of criticism from time to time. Running the time I ran today (and in Enfield) considering my pb doesn't really deserve anything else (especially not congratulations) imo.

Cheers tang.
    I know that ;)

I'll be honest though, I would like a bit of criticism from time to time. Running the time I ran today (and in Enfield) considering my pb doesn't really deserve anything else (especially not congratulations) imo.

To be honest i checked the results of Enfield while i was in France and was surprised to see the man that finished a place ahead of you beating you. Hes a great runner, but i would have thought you would have finished comfortably ahead of him. Time to take the finger out after Monday as you said.

To be honest i checked the results of Enfield while i was in France and was surprised to see the man that finished a place ahead of you beating you. Hes a great runner, but i would have thought you would have finished comfortably ahead of him. Time to take the finger out after Monday as you said.

If you want me to be completely honest, I don't think anybody that passed me after the 1 mile mark in Enfield should be beating me. Maybe that's arrogant/cocky whatever, but I don't care. It's what I honestly believe. I was watching people streaming by me from that point thinking 'I shouldn't be letting this happen', but the lack of training meant I could do nothing about it. Hence why I'm not going to 'race' again until I'm in some sort of reasonable condition. I don't like running in races without doing myself justice.

Nothing arrogant or cocky about it, i'd feel the exact same if i were you. And regarding not racing until you feel you can do yourself justice, i'm doing the exact same thing after tomorrow, not planning on racing again till mid-July.

• Advertisement

Hey P -Don't want to bang the drum on this one again, but I do think as I mentioned in a post a while back that part of the difficulty is too many races and trying to get that sub 17 . I'm no expert but can my speak from experience and I'd echo what some others have mentioned, take a few weeks off racing, get the training in order, get the hunger back and nail it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just to add my tuppence worth. There are people here, Krusty being a prime example, who can train and race and race and train week in week out and don't seem to suffer any side effects. But that strategy is most certainly not for everybody. Bigger picture folks. Put in a good base and the times will come. Whether that be this year or next year or 5 years time, they'll come.

In fact, some would say that the quicker you progress and achieve those times, the quicker you'll burn yourself out afterwards. I always seem to be ticking you off on here. Sorry.

Itziger wrote: »
    Just to add my tuppence worth. There are people here, Krusty being a prime example, who can train and race and race and train week in week out and don't seem to suffer any side effects. But that strategy is most certainly not for everybody. Bigger picture folks. Put in a good base and the times will come. Whether that be this year or next year or 5 years time, they'll come.

In fact, some would say that the quicker you progress and achieve those times, the quicker you'll burn yourself out afterwards. I always seem to be ticking you off on here. Sorry.

I actually think I can take a lot if training/racing too. It's only when I ease off/stop that I encounter problems.

Anyway, don't apologise. I welcome feedback/criticism/honest opinions on this log.

I don't feel like I've been entirely transparent with my training recently. Basically if I didn't have it recorded on my Garmin I didn't count it, but thinking back I've really been working hard and should probably log it.

Here's my last week anyway:

Monday 25th May

Interval session - 2 x (2 x 400m walks to the bus stop)

Up early for this one. No official times, but using my phone clock as a guide.

Rep 1 - I reckon I did the first one in about 2:30. A little bit disappointed with this as it was mostly downhill.

Rep 2 - 1 hour recovery due to the bus journey, rep 2 was a completely flat and completed in a similar time. Should be slower I suppose, but the body would have been more awake by then.

Rep 3 - 12 hour recovery due to work shift. Same route in reverse as rep 3. Probably closer to 2:00 as I ran the last bit to catch the bus. Annoyed with myself about that. Shouldn't be racing my training sessions!

Rep 4 - Rep 1 in reverse. All uphill and less of a recovery due to the lighter late evening traffic. Probably about 3:00+. Not that disappointed with the time tbh as I was sending texts and speaking on the phone throughout, so a slower interval was to be expected.

Tuesday 26th May

Rest day.
    Knackered after yesterday's intervals

Wednesday 27th May

0.8m Easy.
    Divided this into a series of tea runs at work. Sometimes I had 4/5 mugs to carry, whereas other times it was only 1/2, so the pace varied. Can't be getting annoyed about that, especially as I had pushed a little too hard when running for the bus on Monday.

Thursday 28th May

4 x 100m @ 50k walk pace (including 2 x 10mins on a dublinbike)

Was up half the night worrying about this one, but in the end I nailed it :).

Rep 1 -Kept a steady consistent pace to the dublinbike station, before grabbing a bike and upping the effort (level 23). Jogged the 100m recovery after depositing the bike. Delighted to have the whole day to wind down afterwards.

Rep 2 - Needed to up the pace an the way to the bike station, as there was only one bike left and another guy had his eye on it. I accelerated and swiped my card before he got there, meaning he had to wait on someone else to drop one back. I managed an evil laugh to myself as I cycled away :pac:. Effort level was only 31 on this one as I hadn't got a lot left, having taken plenty out of myself to secure the bike. I think I only managed 100k walk pace on the return afterwards. Solid session nonetheless.

Friday 29th May

Rest day.
    Could barely get out of bed today, never mind do any running.
    Training is hard!

Saturday 30th May

Double day today

A.M.

Disappointing Tymon parkrun in 18:38.
    Having originally thought I hadn't done enough, reading this back makes me think I may have done too much?

P.M.

Drove 200+ miles in the car. Feel like I need to build up my right leg now as the left leg did all the clutch work. Will probably join a gym and specifically do weights with my right leg to balance out any driving I do.

Sunday 31st May

10k walk @ various paces

Walked a couple of dogs around some country roads. It was a rolling route, meaning the pace was far from consistent. Probably the ideal recovery after yesterday's double.

Monday 1st June

Strength & Conditioning

Spent most of the afternoon in the pub. I alternated arms every time I lifted my pints to ensure neither side would be favoured. Wasn't going to make the same mistake as I did while driving on Saturday :)
    I am a bit worried though, as I started each pint with my right arm. This obviously means my left arm wasn't making as much effort due to the slightly lighter glass on each lift, consequently getting less of a workout.
    Will this affect my running?? :confused:

And you could only manage 18.38 over 5k after that SERIOUS week of solid training........ Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Dude, you seriously need to buy a left-hand drive car, to correct that serious imbalance in your resistance workout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

davedanon wrote: »
    Dude, you seriously need to buy a left-hand drive car, to correct that serious imbalance in your resistance workout.

But the left hand gets a good workout from the gear stick, handbrake and controlling the radio/air con that the right hand does not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Even reading about the dublinbike session was exhausting. Well done for toughing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I feel though that you're being unfair to yourself, I mean surely you should be including the energy expended whilst brushing your teeth, cooking meals, laps of the veg section in Aldi, carrying shopping bags.......surely you should be tracking it all and posting it up on Facebook? #workinghard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Really interested in your theory on the driving - I did two such training sessions over the weekend - found my right leg was a bit wrecked after the first leg (Saturday) but I seem to be ok today after yesterday's leg ! Would you put that down to building muscle memory on the first leg ??

Advertisement