Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Totally confused where you in disguise today ??

Was the balloon issue a mix up between you and the 1:40 guy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Cheers Jake. Nice to meet you and well done on the 10k time. Good luck with the DCM training. I'd volunteer to pace you in that if it wasn't so close to New York.

Nice to meet you too. thanks for the pacing offer, im sure you would be able to fit in a 3:20 pacing gig in DCM before New York:)
    Best of luck with your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yes actually :D

I'll tell you about it when I post my report.

Oh looking forward to this one already!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

annapr wrote: »
    Oh looking forward to this one already!!!

Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

belcarra wrote: »
    Don't forget to tell 'em about that toilet break Peter....
    Killerz wrote: »
    They were holding hands too... belcarra didn't think it was strictly necessary, but yaboya insisted
    belcarra wrote: »
    That was more to prevent his hands straying elsewhere J!;)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So now we know what really got you hot and bothered ;)

Sounds like the 1:45 pacers had a good day out......I presume you both signed up straight away for the November event ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Saturday 11th July - Marathon Des Escargots HM 1:50 pacing
    21.12km @ 5:10p/km average (1:49:16)

Wasn't a great seven days for me mileage wise last week. With working hours and various colleagues leaving drinks, I struggled to fit a lot of running in. I did see Claude Burgundy was looking for pacers for the above event though, and knew it would fit in perfectly with my plans for the day if I could arrange it properly. When I pm'd him, he said there was still a 1:50 slot available so I thought it would fit in nicely as my long run for the week.

Pre-Race

I jumped on a train to Portarlington and was there about an hour before the race. I checked in, received my t-shirt and was told to come back to HQ for 11am to collect my balloon. Met jake1970 (who'd just completed the 10k) & Dilbert75 before I did that and had a quick chat with both. I returned to meet my fellow 1:50 pacer, ahead of an introduction to the other runners just ahead of going down to the start. He told me he had done the same pacing job in November and the course was relatively flat, so even splits the whole way was a good tactic. I made this 5:10min/km and adjusted the units on the Garmin as that's what the course was marked in.

The Race

0-5k

We set off shortly after the advertised time of 11:15am. I settled straight into the target pace and was enjoying the perfect conditions we had been granted from the start. We had a decent enough sized group with us, some asking what time we were pacing just to make sure. I noticed early in the 5th kilometre that the pace had dropped to 5:2x. My fellow pacer seemed unperturbed with this, but I didn't want to have to make up time later so stepped it back up to what it should be. He didn't and I started to pull away from him with a few others who followed me. I didn't see him again until after the finish.

6k-19k

I had a nice little gang of 6/7 with me now. Pace was bang on and I couldn't figure out why the others had dropped so far behind. I took on water at each station and offered it out amongst the group. I couldn't believe we were actually 7/8k in already. I was extremely comfortable and wasn't even noticing the km's ticking by. We came across/overtook a wheelchair athlete as we scaled a tiny climb in the road, before he zoomed back past us on the other side :). Then all of a sudden - BANG! I looked around for a cramping AMK. It sounded just like the sniper that takes him out near the end of any recent distance events. But neither him nor the gunman were anywhere to be seen. It turned out my balloon had caught a thorn bush and exploded. The group I was in shared a giggle and somebody commented that they'd have to keep me within touching distance now, since the balloon was gone and it wouldn't be possible to pick me out from too far behind. I gave them a shout around 10.5k to say we were just about halfway there with around thirty seconds in the bank. Everyone seemed happy with that and a few started to kick on for home. I hoped they knew what they were doing and hadn't gone too soon. The Garmin had been bang on the kilometre markers up to this point, but around km 12/13 it started to measure 100m short. I thought I remembered reading that the course had been officially measured and assumed it would correct itself later on. I just stuck to target pace anyway. At kilometre 12, I was dropped by everyone in the group and left in no mans land. I couldn't go with them because my job was to pace 1:50 and they were all going faster than that at that stage. The next 6/7k were very lonely.

20k - Finish

As I ploughed my lone furrow home, I started to catch some runners who were slowing down. None of my original group yet, but I gave them a shout nonetheless to advise that I was the 1:50 pacer since the balloon was long gone. At that stage, very few of them could hang on and reluctantly let me pass. I was still coming up 100/150m short on the km markers until I passed 19k. But early in the 20th km, I saw a sign marking '2k to go' for the 10k race. The run in to the finish was the same for all races and I knew things were back on target as my watch now read 19.12k. It seems someone meaured 1k short out in the country somewhere which caused all markers after that to also measure short, until the whole thing righted itself and aligned again before 20k. As I moved into the final mile I spotted two guys from my original group slightly coming back to me. I had yet to pass anyone from my 'class' yet and was going to do my very best to ensure none of them would fail. I caught the first guy as we passed 20k. I asked was he ok and offered him a bottle of water I'd been carrying for a situation just like this. He gladly took a sup and asked how we were doing. I explained he just needed to hold my pace (no faster) and he was under. He told me he'd nothing left. I told him to just hang onto me. Getting 20.5k on target and missing out wasn't an option. 600m to go. 'Fcuk sake' he muttered. Although I felt sorry for him struggling, I knew he would do it after he said that. I just felt if he really had absolutely nothing, there's no way he would have come out with that. I kept counting it down for him each 100m, and with 200m to go told him he'd definitely be under, so he might as well pose for the cameras at the finish now. He reluctantly agreed, but then really put whatever he had left into a sprint finish. You can see the determination in his face in the race photos. There had also been a guy from the group just ahead of us, but within earshot. He seemed to focus on keeping us there so he got in under too. Two happy men when we crossed the line, along with a few more that kicked on earlier in the race and really sped up.

Splits:

Km 1 - 5:07
    Km 2 - 5:11
    Km 3 - 5:14
    Km 4 - 5:08
    Km 5 - 5:11
    Km 6 - 5:11
    Km 7 - 5:10
    Km 8 - 5:09
    Km 9 - 5:11
    Km 10 - 5:08
    Km 11 - 5:08
    Km 12 - 5:12
    Km 13 - 5:10
    Km 14 - 5:08
    Km 15 - 5:18
    Km 16 - 5:18
    Km 17 - 5:13
    Km 18 - 5:08
    Km 19 - 5:09
    Km 20 - 5:11
    Km 21 - 5:10
    0.12 - 0:35

Post Race

Had a good chat with a few of the group after the race while enjoying a cup of tea and some sandwiches/biscuits. I met my fellow pacer after the race and asked how he got on. When I looked behind me after 18/19k and saw he was so far behind (300/400m+), I was worried that anyone who had stuck with him wouldn't be under 1:50 as I'd only had 44 seconds to spare at the finish and felt he wasn't close enough. He said he got in on time, but I've since seen the results and the next finisher to me is 1:50:08 :eek:

Headed to the Leisure Centre for a quick shower before grabbing some dinner, watching the tennis and rounding off the day with a trip to Thurles for the hurling double header. A productive day :)

Tuesday 14th July - 40 minutes Easy
    5.12m @ 7:46 p/m average

Just an early jaunt, taking in some of the PP. Hadn't got much of my running apparatus with me today. Had no HRM, no Garmin (had to borrow one) and no running socks. I now have three blisters from running barefoot in my most uncomfortable pair of runners. Guess I won't do that again!
    Threw a few strides into the final mile. Might get out again later this evening.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:18
    Mile 2 - 7:46
    Mile 3 - 7:51
    Mile 4 - 7:53
    Mile 5 - 6:51
    0.12 - 1:23

That explains why a 1:50 pacer passed me in the last 2K of the marathon when I was doing 8 min Pace. Thought he was going way too fast obviously was try to make up time at that point. He had one person with him at that stage. You where obviously further up the road, we seemed to have missed each other post race.

ger664 wrote: »
    That explains why a 1:50 pacer passed me in the last 2K of the marathon when I was doing 8 min Pace. Thought he was going way too fast obviously was try to make up time at that point. He had one person with him at that stage. You where obviously further up the road, we seemed to have missed each other post race.

I think the marathon loop was slightly different so I may not have passed you at all, or else you didn't see me because I hadn't got a balloon and wouldn't have stuck out from the crowd. Surprised I didn't see you post race though. I hung around for at least half an hour.

I think the marathon loop was slightly different so I may not have passed you at all, or else you didn't see me because I hadn't got a balloon and wouldn't have stuck out from the crowd. Surprised I didn't see you post race though. I hung around for at least half an hour.

I caught and passed your fellow pacer around Mile 21 in the marathon. I was doing a few 7:10 Miles MP at the time. Shortly after that I dropped the pace back to 8 Minute Mile and was just really surprised to see him overtake me before the finish. You where probably 100/200 meters ahead of me at some point around then. I hung around as well for a bit as I had 90 minute wait for my train home and I couldn't drag myself away from the custard creams. Strange:confused:

• Advertisement

Monday 20th July - 45 minutes Easy
    5.31m @ 8:28 p/m average (136bpm)

Running wise, last week was a complete write off, and it's not likely to get much better this week. I'm in the process of moving home (again!), so all the time that takes up and the fuss that goes with it has really interfered with my training. On the plus side, the best running facility in the country is now literally only a mile from my doorstep :). The effects of it all have left me a bit run down lately, and although I've done no running, I've not got much rest either. The HR was higher than I'd expect for a run of tonight's pace, so I'm definitely a long way from my best. Luckily I've got 15 weeks to get there. Will get a few easy runs in this week before getting some structure back when I'm fully settled in.

Splits (in kms as I forgot to change back since HM):

Km 1 - 4:54
    Km 2 - 4:52
    Km 3 - 5:10
    Km 4 - 5:25
    Km 5 - 5:29
    Km 6 - 5:29
    Km 7 - 5:18
    Km 8 - 5:26
    0.55 - 2:58

Spotted aero2k in the train station on my way to work this morning. We may meet more often now that we appear to be neighbours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Does mean we will be seeing you at the track soon? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Does mean we will be seeing you at the track soon? :)

You know I'm talking about the Phoenix Park right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Back on the north side. That'll do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tallaght no good for you? ;)

Just catching up- good job on the pacing. I see you have been learning from the best (not Belcarra :p). You did well to push on from the other lad when he was going too slow, sounds like he made a right pigs ear of it.

Tuesday 21st July - 60 minutes Easy
    7m @ 8:40 p/m average (133bpm avg)

Had a lot of stuff on today, so delighted to get this in earlier when the weather was absolutely perfect. Took in the trail inside the perimeter wall in the PP between Ashtown and the Furry Glen. Cant believe that's the first time I've run that route. Certainly won't be the last.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:50
    Mile 2 - 8:28
    Mile 3 - 8:29
    Mile 4 - 8:44
    Mile 5 - 8:54
    Mile 6 - 8:48
    Mile 7 - 8:26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great job on the pacing, PD. Gotta trust your own experience and judgment (which is extensive at this stage). Job well done, and I think a good job pacing is equally as satisfying as a good job racing.

Ps love the sniper ref...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Spotted aero2k in the train station on my way to work this morning. We may meet more often now that we appear to be neighbours :pac:

Sorry Peter, I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!

Glad to hear your in my neck of the woods. I've been living here since early '91 (probably before you were born:)) and I've only really begun to appreciate the magnificence of the PP in recent years. I grew up on the other side of the river, and as a kid on summer evenings my Da would bring me and a mate up to the park. He would actually let us drive his car on the grass (this was the 70's before kids were wrapped up in bubble wrap) and we'd have to be careful to dodge the cowsh1te while playing football - there were lots of cattle there in those days. When I moved to Ashtown I used to enjoy the frequent drives through the park and the memories they evoked, but since I got into running I appreciate the place on a whole other level. That stretch you described between Ashtown gate and the Furry Glen is magical, it's hard to believe it's so close to a bustling world outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

aero2k wrote: »
    . He would actually let us drive his car on the grass (this was the 70's before kids were wrapped up in bubble wrap)

I was brought up in the 70's, but I was never allowed near my dad's car. that was a farm thing, kids driving tractors at 8 years of age, etc, and it had less to do with 'not being wrapped in bubble-wrap' than saving money by pressing the entire family into service as young as possible.

Having said that, the 70's were great.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the slight log hijack...

My Da was absolutely obsessive about his car - it was always spotlessly clean inside and out, and perfectly maintained. One of my favourite childhood memories is of a holiday in the West, when he asked if I wanted to go for a drive. He had a 3 month old Chrysler Avenger, it was his pride and joy, (with the black vinyl roof, really cool back then) and I loved going for spins in it. The car was parked in my grandmother's back yard, and when I went to get in the passenger side, he said no, and pointed to the driver's door. I was 12! I actually needed a cushion so I could see over the steering wheel. I proceeded to almost demolish a stone wall - stalling prevented an expensive collision. I was expecting an angry outburst, but undeterred, he calmly said "I'll take it out of the yard for you", we swapped sides, he pulled in a mile or so up the road (the N17) and this time I managed to drive, for about 8 miles. He'd tell me when to change gear, and give the odd touch on the steering wheel. I had driven a tractor before, but they were pretty simple in those days, and more immune to scratches and knocks.

I'm getting all nostalgic now, must be getting old....

davedanon wrote: »
    I was brought up in the 70's, but I was never allowed near my dad's car. that was a farm thing, kids driving tractors at 8 years of age, etc, and it had less to do with 'not being wrapped in bubble-wrap' than saving money by pressing the entire family into service as young as possible.

Having said that, the 70's were great.

You're right, but what modern kids would now regard as slave labour was looked on by us as a big adventure. We spent the whole year in Dublin looking forward to two months in the West and all that went with it - making hay, days in the bog, filling trailer with turf and then riding home on the top of the load.

In the case of the driving lessons, it was just my da trying to pass on useful life skills (and it was equal opportunity, my sisters were allowed steer the car as soon as they were big enough to sit on his knee). He was a carpenter by trade, and rather than taking the "stay away from the sharp tools" approach, it was "here, let me show you how to use that safely", and the driving lesson was more of the same.

I think kids have a natural level of confidence and invincibility anyway, but it's reinforced when a trusted adult obviously believes you are capable of learning things that might be considered beyond your years. It's a pity most of us grow out of that phase or other, careless adults knock it out of us. I'm sure this discussion has applications to youth development! (over to you Raycun...)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

My god, this trainig thread has just turned into reeling in the years ;)

3pjz5c.jpg

Er, three dimensions, surely?

davedanon wrote: »
    Er, three dimensions, surely?

back in your day, they were obviously yet to discover irony too ;)

back in your day, they were obviously yet to discover irony too ;)

Rubbish. We had loads of irony. Steely too.

It's only your generation that had everything made out of plasticky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You're right, but what modern kids would now regard as slave labour was looked on by us as a big adventure. We spent the whole year in Dublin looking forward to two months in the West and all that went with it - making hay, days in the bog, filling trailer with turf and then riding home on the top of the load.

In the case of the driving lessons, it was just my da trying to pass on useful life skills (and it was equal opportunity, my sisters were allowed steer the car as soon as they were big enough to sit on his knee). He was a carpenter by trade, and rather than taking the "stay away from the sharp tools" approach, it was "here, let me show you how to use that safely", and the driving lesson was more of the same.

Thats my summers more or less word for word in Connemara to, but with my grandfather & uncles. My Dad spent most of my summer childhood years serving overseas with the Army. You cant beat the bog in Connemara, and i'm good 20 years younger than you aero2k(and 20 mins).

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats my summers more or less word for word in Connemara to, but with my grandfather & uncles. My Dad spent most of my summer childhood years serving overseas with the Army. You cant beat the bog in Connemara, and i'm good 20 years younger than you aero2k(and 20 mins).

Don't worry tang1, growing older is easy, all it takes is patience. The speed - well that takes patience too. FWIW, my PB has improved by over 30 min in those 20 years...

Wednesday 22nd July - 40 minutes Easy, 45 minutes Easy

Since I'm now living around half the distance away from my office than I was before, I'm going to try fit as many Duanington style doubles in as possible. I do work long shifts though, so some days I'll be just too tired for it to be realistic. Managed it today though.

A.M.
    40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 8:18p/m average (130bpm avg)

Still half asleep doing this, but finished, showered and ready to start work by 7:45am. Added a little bit of extra time at the end to finish the 5th mile.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:23
    Mile 2 - 8:12
    Mile 3 - 8:19
    Mile 4 - 8:12
    Mile 5 - 8:25

P.M.
    45 minutes Easy
    5.5m @ 8:13p/m average (134bpm avg)

Perfect evening for running out there. Traffic at junctions dictated my route home (I'm not one for stopping) meaning it was slightly longer than this morning's. It's also a more difficult route out of the city (as PM alluded to in his log the other day), which I imagine is the reason the HR is slightly higher.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:52
    Mile 2 - 8:07
    Mile 3 - 8:25
    Mile 4 - 8:22
    Mile 5 - 8:17
    0.5 - 4:08

Some traffic on here today too by the looks of it :pac:

The 70s sound great and all, but that's way before my time :D

Some traffic on here today too by the looks of it :pac:

The 70s sound great and all, but that's way before my time :D

Sorry Peter, all my fault. Not having a log of my own, I've been known to behave like a cuckoo round these parts, at least until I get kicked out.:)

Back to running matters: Running along the trail from Ashtown Gate to the Furry Glen, as you pass the gate to Farmleigh, instead of following the trail you can branch slightly left across the long grass (there is a trail there too) and follow the black railings anti-clockwise to do a lap of the Ordinance Survey HQ. That's just over a mile. Or, if Farmleigh is open, it's nice to run there as well, you could go in the gate and head left for the carpark, straight up the avenue, or sharp right at the gate lodge onto the gravel path. There are toilets in the courtyard to the left of the main house, which can be handy on long runs. There are also toilets in Farmleigh Gallery, but they don't seem to like sweaty runners lowering the tone of the place there.

If you want to find out the dodgier trails, TRR will be able to help. (I'm still recovering from being abducted by himself and Krusty during a long run, which may have been at their easy pace, but certainly wasn't at mine!)

• Advertisement

Running along the trail from Ashtown Gate to the Furry Glen, as you pass the gate to Farmleigh, instead of following the trail you can branch slightly left across the long grass (there is a trail there too) and follow the black railings anti-clockwise to do a lap of the Ordinance Survey HQ. That's just over a mile. Or, if Farmleigh is open, it's nice to run there as well, you could go in the gate and head left for the carpark, straight up the avenue, or sharp right at the gate lodge onto the gravel path. There are toilets in the courtyard to the left of the main house, which can be handy on long runs. There are also toilets in Farmleigh Gallery, but they don't seem to like sweaty runners lowering the tone of the place there.

If you want to find out the dodgier trails, TRR will be able to help.

I haven't headed into the park for a run in months. I think I'll rectify that this weekend or sometime early next week. Good recommendations for aero2k above and I don't know of any dodgy trails in the park ;)

Thursday 23rd July - 40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 8:05 p/m average (133bpm avg)

Another early trot into work. Not much else to say. I may not get any more miles in this week. Hoping that's not the case but time will tell. Sunday looks favourite if I do get out again.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:21
    Mile 2 - 8:00
    Mile 3 - 8:04
    Mile 4 - 7:55
    Mile 5 - 8:06

Tuesday 28th July - 40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 7:57 p/m average (148bpm avg)

Got no more miles in last week as suspected. Monday was also a write off. Got out for this run on Tuesday afternoon. I've been feeling pretty awful in myself the past fortnight. Majorly fatigued and short of breath any time I do run. My normal easy HR (<135bpm) had me going a ridiculously slow pace, so I decided to hit my normal easy-ish pace without looking at the HRM. The results kind of back up how I feel at the moment considering I was hitting similar paces on 9m runs uphill to Tallaght recently enough at around 125-130bpm.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:01
    Mile 2 - 7:59
    Mile 3 - 7:52
    Mile 4 - 7:56
    Mile 5 - 7:52

Wednesday 29th July - 40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 8:22 p/m average (137bpm avg)

Ran home from work. HR a little lower than Tuesday, but the pace was slower too. It is net uphill, but heart rate is still higher than it should be.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:05
    Mile 2 - 8:25
    Mile 3 - 8:43
    Mile 4 - 8:33
    Mile 5 - 8:05

Thursday 30th July - 80 minutes Easy
    10m @ 8:05 p/m average (145bpm avg)

Nice run around the PP, but again the effort was more difficult than it should have been. Definitely something amiss with me. Working too much, moving too often, not resting enough. I'm assuming it has something to do with one/all of these.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:09
    Mile 2 - 8:02
    Mile 3 - 8:26
    Mile 4 - 8:04
    Mile 5 - 7:57
    Mile 6 - 8:20
    Mile 7 - 8:08
    Mile 8 - 7:54
    Mile 9 - 8:08
    Mile 10 - 7:42

Friday 31st July - 90 minutes Easy
    11m @ 8:10 p/m average (149bpm avg)

Met up with dublin runner for some easy miles. Time flew by in company, but again the HR is way above my usual level at this sort of pace. Not sure what I'll get done over the weekend with work, but if I still feel like I do by Tuesday I'll probably bite the bullet and go see a doctor.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:30
    Mile 2 - 8:21
    Mile 3 - 8:52
    Mile 4 - 8:28
    Mile 5 - 8:24
    Mile 6 - 8:04
    Mile 7 - 7:44
    Mile 8 - 7:36
    Mile 9 - 7:53
    Mile 10 - 7:52
    Mile 11 - 8:07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Have you checked your resting heart rate recently?
    A visit to the doctor won't do any harm. Good luck with it.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Have you checked your resting heart rate recently?

I haven't actually, but I must do that.

There's definitely something wrong with me*

*I know most people already know this, but I mean physically :P

Saturday 1st August - 45 minutes Easy
    5.42m @ 8:18 p/m average (135bpm avg)

Ran home from work. Still feel terrible, but my HR is pretty much back to normal. Work that one out! Because I can't :confused:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:59
    Mile 2 - 8:25
    Mile 3 - 8:25
    Mile 4 - 8:30
    Mile 5 - 8:13
    0.42 - 3:29

Just to make things a bit clearer.......

(This is for me to look back on myself as a reference as much as anybody else ;))

I haven't actually felt unwell lately, just like I've not got as much of an oxygen reserve within as I've had for the majority of the past few years. I've attached a picture of four oxygen tanks that may help illustrate what I'm trying to say.

oxygen-cylinder-aluminium-empty-ox018.jpg

The second one from the left is what I feel should be available from my lungs at my recent/current level of fitness.

The one on the extreme right is what I've felt has been available to me every time I've inhaled for the past two weeks.

Although I still felt pretty bad tonight, there was an improvement breathing wise and my lungs seemed to be almost back to normal (2nd from the right).

The one on the extreme left represents where I'd like to be when I eventually get through the entire HADD HR cycle.

Getting there (hopefully).......

• Advertisement

Sunday 2nd August - 45 minutes Easy
    5.42m @ 8:19 p/m average (129bpm avg)

Easy run into work this morning. Saw a few eager beavers heading down to the start of the Rock 'n' Roll circa 7:00am!
    HR back to normal, so maybe the doctor isn't necessary. We'll see.
    Speaking of the Rock 'n' Roll, everybody gives out about what a sh*t course it is. I just realised that my run home has exactly the same profile - beginning at sea level and finishing at the top of the park. Obviously that was in reverse this morning, hence the low HR :D

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:39
    Mile 2 - 7:56
    Mile 3 - 8:05
    Mile 4 - 8:17
    Mile 5 - 8:37
    0.42 - 3:26

Monday 3rd August - 65 minutes Easy
    8.05 @ 8:05 p/m average (137bpm avg)

Wasn't practical for me to run into work today, which was annoying considering the beautiful morning we got. I was able to run home though, and took the scenic route to prolong it a little bit. HR was fine until I started climbing. Happy enough. Still may give the doc a visit when I finally get a day off though.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:49
    Mile 2 - 7:49
    Mile 3 - 8:11
    Mile 4 - 8:01
    Mile 5 - 8:16
    Mile 6 - 8:14
    Mile 7 - 8:05
    Mile 8 - 8:12
    0.05 - 0:26

Tuesday 4th August - 40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 8:06 p/m average (132bpm avg)

Handy run into work. Got absolutely soaked with the rain which you'd find hard to believe now looking out at the sunshine.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:20
    Mile 2 - 7:43
    Mile 3 - 8:00
    Mile 4 - 8:06
    Mile 5 - 8:20

Tuesday 4th August (P.M.) - 35 minutes Easy
    4.22m @ 8:17 p/m average (133bpm avg)

Most of this morning's route in reverse. Was talking on the phone for the guts of a mile, so only started running after that which explains the shorter distance.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:14
    Mile 2 - 8:21
    Mile 3 - 8:07
    Mile 4 - 8:23
    0.22 - 1:56

Wednesday 5th August - 150 minutes Easy
    18.02m @ 8:20 p/m average (145bpm avg)

Met up with Duanington for this to help the miles tick by a little quicker. He was planning 16, so I told him I'd join him and play it by ear. After a good soaking and a nice chat along the coast and through various parts of Dublin 3 & 5, we parted ways after 13.5 miles at the junction of the Clontarf/Howth roads. Considering the training I've done recently, I probably shouldn't have gone much further than this. With no conversation to distract me now, I really started to struggle. I toyed with the idea of jumping on the train at Drumcondra (15m), but eventually decided against it and ran all the way home. Despite the splits suggesting otherwise, those last three miles were a real slog. I probably should have capped it at 15. Anyway, its done.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:25
    Mile 2 - 8:17
    Mile 3 - 8:10
    Mile 4 - 8:09
    Mile 5 - 8:27
    Mile 6 - 8:28
    Mile 7 - 8:25
    Mile 8 - 8:31
    Mile 9 - 8:17
    Mile 10 - 8:24
    Mile 11 - 8:18
    Mile 12 - 8:27
    Mile 13 - 8:23
    Mile 14 - 8:31
    Mile 15 - 8:22
    Mile 16 - 8:16
    Mile 17 - 8:04
    Mile 18 - 7:59
    0.02 - 0:12

Thursday 6th August - 40 minutes Easy
    5m @ 8:08 p/m average (132bpm avg)

Another easy run home from work. Thought I'd struggle after last night but I actually felt great. Toughing out those 18 miles seems to have done me the world of good :)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:46
    Mile 2 - 8:02
    Mile 3 - 8:23
    Mile 4 - 8:10
    Mile 5 - 8:20

Saturday 8th August - 120 minutes Easy
    15.24m @ 7:53 p/m average (147bpm avg)

Arranged to join up with FBOT01 for this as part of his long run this morning. Beautiful day for it and the miles/time flew by as we chatted along the way. Didn't feel like anything close to two hours if I'm honest. We made our way out along the Royal Canal past Clonsilla, before heading back through Lucan along the banks of the Liffey. HR was steady enough until we hit the hill to take us into the PP at the Knockmaroon Gate. Hit a high of 173bpm there. The pace* gradually crept up in the second half of the run as we moved off the uneven grassy, protruding tree root trail onto the more speed friendly paths/roads. Quite happy with that. Two solid mid/long runs in a week which is a step in the right direction. Met up with Dubgal72 and the novice crew for a coffee/chat afterwards. She seemed happy with her apprentices.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:33
    Mile 2 - 8:17
    Mile 3 - 8:29
    Mile 4 - 8:36
    Mile 5 - 8:03
    Mile 6 - 8:16
    Mile 7 - 8:00
    Mile 8 - 7:36
    Mile 9 - 7:30
    Mile 10 - 7:32
    Mile 11 - 7:25
    Mile 12 - 7:37
    Mile 13 - 7:31
    Mile 14 - 7:12
    Mile 15 - 7:36
    0.24 - 1:48

*FBOT01 had explained we needed to ensure the pace averaged below 8;00min/mile for the run, as TbL had refused to join us on that basis saying it would be too hot for him. I went along with this, but in truth wasn't too worried about how the running slut TbL would feel as he hasn't contacted me since his date with tang1 :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

he hasn't contacted me since his date with tang1 :pac::pac:

You should see the tex/picture messages hes sending me since looking for a second date!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I went along with this, but in truth wasn't too worried about how the running slut TbL would feel as he hasn't contacted me since his date with tang1 :pac::pac:

I have it on good authority that he was on a hot date this morning. And not with tang1 either. Slapper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

tang1 wrote: »
    You should see the tex/picture messages hes sending me since looking for a second date!!

No thanks :eek:

Advertisement