Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tuesday 15th September - 35 minutes Recovery
    4m @ 8:44p/m average

Up at 5am, four hours sitting on a plane and then two more on a bus. Tired and dehydrated, I headed out for this shuffle in the 25 degree heat. Felt like a 5k the amount I was sweating, but anything above walking pace was difficult here yesterday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:54
    Mile 2 - 8:50
    Mile 3 - 8:44
    Mile 4 - 8:26

Wednesday 16th September - 60 minutes Easy
    7.64m @ 7:51p//m average

The intention was to meet my sisters at 7:30am for a nice easy pre-breakfast run before the sun got too hot. The reality was I went straight on the beer after yesterday's run, barely ate, barely drank any water and didn't get to bed until around 2:30am. The family assumed I was dead this morning when I didn't appear for breakfast before the 10:30am cut off, as I'm not one for missing meals. Extracted myself from the bed around 10:45am and attempted in vain to eat some food. A run didn't look likely as I was having trouble just moving, but I thought I deserved some punishment so hit the beach shortly after. Yesterday's exertions had left me even worse than I was then and the first 2/3 miles were horrible. My mouth was like sandpaper and I almost vomited a few times. However it got better as I progressed and I felt great when I finished. Got some water for myself in the supermarket as a reward :P
    Same plan tomorrow. 7:30am it is......

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:44
    Mile 2 - 8:05
    Mile 3 - 8:03
    Mile 4 - 7:49
    Mile 5 - 7:50
    Mile 6 - 7:52
    Mile 7 - 7:34
    0.64 - 5:04

Killerz wrote: »
    Enjoy the trip and please pass on my best wishes to F and T!

Will do. I might be around the following Saturday morning (26th) in St Annes if you need a pacer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Tuesday 15th September - 35 minutes Recovery
    4m @ 8:44p/m average

Up at 5am, four hours sitting on a plane and then two more on a bus. Tired and dehydrated, I headed out for this shuffle in the 25 degree heat. Felt like a 5k the amount I was sweating, but anything above walking pace was difficult here yesterday.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:54
    Mile 3 - 8:44
    Mile 4 - 8:26

Wednesday 16th September - 60 minutes Easy
    7.64m @ 7:51p//m average

The intention was to meet my sisters at 7:30am for a nice easy pre-breakfast run before the sun got too hot. The reality was I went straight on the beer after yesterday's run, barely ate, barely drank any water and didn't get to bed until around 2:30am. The family assumed I was dead this morning when I didn't appear for breakfast before the 10:30am cut off, as I'm not one for missing meals. Extracted myself from the bed around 10:45am and attempted in vain to eat some food. A run didn't look likely as I was having trouble just moving, but I thought I deserved some punishment so hit the beach shortly after. Yesterday's exertions had left me even worse than I was then and the first 2/3 miles were horrible. My mouth was like sandpaper and I almost vomited a few times. However it got better as I progressed and I felt great when I finished. Got some water for myself in the supermarket as a reward :P
    Same plan tomorrow. 7:30am it is......

Splits:

Mile 2 - 8:05
    Mile 3 - 8:03
    Mile 4 - 7:49
    Mile 6 - 7:52
    Mile 7 - 7:34
    0.64 - 5:04

Nice run in tough conditions. I think you may have found the problem....work has been getting in the way of your drinking/partying and it has been having a knock on effect on your running :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Will do. I might be around next Saturday morning in St Annes if you need a pacer?

And will that be for the walking dead group?! :p

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    And will that be for the walking dead group?! :p

I'll be good Friday night.
    Be sick of drink by then :)

I have edited my previous post which made it seem like I meant this Saturday (which I certainly will not be available :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Will do. I might be around the following Saturday morning (26th) in St Annes if you need a pacer?

Sounds good P, it's our birthday event, so a good one to be present for anyhow!

Thursday 17th September - 40 minutes (approx) Recovery

Made the 7:30am start time today, despite a 3am finish this morning. Perfect conditions for a run, nice & cool just before the sun came up. Hard work slogging through the sand along the beach though. Since I was running with one of the sisters, I left the Garmin behind and went at her pace. Not exactly sure what that was, but at a guess I think we did around four miles at 10:00min/mile pace.

Saturday 19th September - 125 minutes Easy
    16.55m @ 7:33p/m average

Needed to get a long run of some description in today, as circumstances make it virtually impossible in the next three days. I also needed to avoid the heat and be back in time for the breakfast cut off. That meant a 7:10am start. I went easy on the alcohol last night and was in bed relatively early. Hit the road in perfect running conditions this morning. Dark & cool. However as soon as the sun came up, it got very hot very quickly. Was very comfortable for most of this and feel a 3:10-3:15 marathon in New York is about the least I should expect all going well. Possibly faster though. Another reasonable week almost ticked off. May get a short recovery run in tomorrow.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:32
    Mile 2 - 7:45
    Mile 3 - 7:46
    Mile 4 - 7:52
    Mile 6 - 7:43
    Mile 7 - 7:36
    Mile 8 - 7:36
    Mile 9 - 7:32
    Mile 10 - 7:32
    Mile 11 - 7:29
    Mile 12 - 7:22
    Mile 13 - 7:20
    Mile 14 - 7:22
    Mile 15 - 7:24
    Mile 16 - 7:21
    0.55 - 3:59

Sunday 20th September - 35 minutes Recovery
    4m @ 8:53p/m average

While all the women around me are panicking about hair & make up, I went for a barefoot trot along the beach. A thoroughly enjoyable 35 minutes.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:07
    Mile 3 - 8:41
    Mile 4 - 8:53

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Congrats, had you at least 5 years younger than that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff P, never in doubt. :) See you'll be flying the Clondalkin flag again.

Glad to see there's at least three older than me in the Irish contingent.

tang1 wrote: »
    Congrats, had you at least 5 years younger than that though!

Ha!
    That's actually my age on race day though. Still a birthday to come between now and then. Had a few tell me at the weekend they thought I was younger than my sister despite being the eldest of four. I'll take that as a compliment to me rather than an insult to her :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very cool! but when did Clondalkin become a city??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats P so thats you Murph and FBOT this is start to sound like a good weekend away (what ya reckon Anna !!):D

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats P so thats you Murph and FBOT this is start to sound like a good weekend away (what ya reckon Anna !!):D

Berlin... Boston... why not? :)

annapr wrote: »
    Berlin... Boston... why not? :)

Then London........Tokyo if that's ok? :)

You can be assured you will get an honest appraisal of how you look in the last mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Then London........Tokyo if that's ok? :)

Have passport - can travel !!!:P

Friday 25th September - 125 minutes Easy
    16m @ 7:49p/m average

This was one of the worst runs of my entire life. I ran in cooler conditions and at a slower pace for the same duration as I did in Spain last week, yet I found it incredibly difficult. If I hadn't spent so much money on flights, accommodation and the race itself in New York, I'd knock it on the head right now. The only good thing about this run was crossing paths with a familiar friendly face (WithCheesePlease) going through Raheny. He's obviously started his London preparations early.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:30
    Mile 2 - 7:57
    Mile 3 - 7:50
    Mile 4 - 7:59
    Mile 5 - 7:47
    Mile 6 - 7:57
    Mile 7 - 7:46
    Mile 8 - 7:43
    Mile 9 - 7:56
    Mile 10 - 7:50
    Mile 11 - 7:50
    Mile 12 - 7:53
    Mile 13 - 7:43
    Mile 14 - 7:49
    Mile 15 - 7:49
    Mile 16 - 7:50

• Advertisement

Just reading back on my own training for the past week or so. You've got to love the roller-coaster of emotions.

These quotes are 6 days apart :pac:
    Saturday 19th September - 125 minutes Easy
    16.55m @ 7:33p/m average

Was very comfortable for most of this and feel a 3:10-3:15 marathon in New York is about the least I should expect all going well. Possibly faster though.
    Friday 25th September - 125 minutes Easy
    16m @ 7:49p/m average

If I hadn't spent so much money on flights, accommodation and the race itself in New York, I'd knock it on the head right now.

I guess that's running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I guess that's running?

Yup, that about suns it up :) for everyone at some stage...

Saturday 26th September - St Anne's parkrun pacing (22 minutes)
    5.07km @ 4:23p/km average

I volunteered to do this pacing job a few weeks ago and was looking forward to the day considering it was their 2nd birthday and there was bound to be a good crowd/atmosphere. The last three times I've run here my Garmin has measured the course slightly shorter than the 5k leaving me coming in 20-30 seconds under the required pacing time. Bearing this in mind and not wanting to burn anyone off, I ran almost exactly the pace per km for 22 minutes flat (4:24min/km). However, today the course measured slightly long (5.07km) and I came in about 10 seconds over. I sincerely hope I didn't cause anyone to miss out on their target time and profusely apologise if I did.

Pacing result: FAIL

Wednesday 30th September - 70 minutes Easy
    8.98m @ 7:52p/m average

Forgot to switch the Garmin back to miles, so only have kilometre splits as a result. Quick maths at the end of the run told me 9m = 14.4k so I continued to 14.45k to make sure. When I converted back I saw I was still short 0.02m. Not good for my OCD!

Splits:

Km 1 - 5:17
    Km 2 - 5:05
    Km 3 - 5:07
    Km 4 - 4:55
    Km 5 - 4:50
    Km 6 - 4:44
    Km 7 - 4:52
    Km 8 - 4:48
    Km 9 - 4:58
    Km 10 - 5:08
    Km 11 - 4:50
    Km 12 - 4:48
    Km 13 - 4:49
    Km 14 - 4:29
    0.45 - 1:59

Chose the park for my run this morning, where again it was exactly as described by aero2k yesterday (so sorry to hear of your mother's passing :( ). I saw the man himself looking fighting fit as he flew by me in the opposite direction early on. Also came across some other fellow boardsies who are targeting some serious times in the coming weeks/months. In truth I felt like the most unfit member of the running community out there this morning. Runs like this were a piece of cake to me six months ago. However this time around I've really let things get on top of me and my training has suffered. I have never let this happen before. When training for Seville last year, I got up at 4am the day after a 10k race to get my 16m long run. The dedication just hasn't been the same in recent months. I haven't even been able to stick to the relatively simple/light mileage plan I posted a few weeks ago. Maybe I'm just jaded from marathon after marathon and need a break. After Boston that's probably what I'll do. In the meantime who knows what I'll run in New York? It certainly won't be fast (for me, relative to my capabilities). I'm down to pace the Athlone 3/4 this Sunday and despite my recent woes I should be able to manage that fairly comfortably, so the 3:30 gang have no need to panic yet (although they have meno if I let them down :rolleyes: )

Friday 2nd October - 60 minutes Easy (with 2 @ fit yaboya PMP)
    8.06m @ 7:27p/m average

The average pace doesn't really tell the story here. I went out a bit too soon after lunch, but that was the only time I could squeeze an hour of running in today. Lobbing along close to 8:00min/mile pace for the first few miles, I could definitely feel the food in my stomach. Then I had a brainwave :pac:. Got to 5.5m with around 43:30 on the watch and went back to the bad old days of 2011-13. If I picked up the pace here to my PMP from Berlin last year (6:40) for the rest of the run, I'd fit a full 8 miles in rather than 7.??. So I did. Don't know how I didn't vomit. It's definitely not my New York PMP :P. On the plus side, I'm allowed run almost two minutes per mile slower on Sunday in Athlone. And I suppose it almost qualifies as 2m @ LT, considering my fitness level at the moment.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:48
    Mile 2 - 7:52
    Mile 3 - 7:48
    Mile 4 - 7:47
    Mile 5 - 7:44
    Mile 6 - 7:19
    Mile 7 - 6:38
    Mile 8 - 6:36
    0.06 - 0:31

Sunday 4th October - Athlone 3/4 Marathon (3:30 pacing - 8:25min/mile)
    19.66m @ 8:23p/m average (2:45:02)

Solid pacing effort in Athlone this morning. Plenty of sensible runners out there today. Very enjoyable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Chose the park for my run this morning, where again it was exactly as described by aero2k yesterday (so sorry to hear of your mother's passing :( ). I saw the man himself looking fighting fit as he flew by me in the opposite direction early on.

Thanks P, glad to hear I looked good - I brought Thursday's planned 10 mile @ MP forward to Wed, which meant it was the day after a tough tempo session. I was a small bit off the pace, but happy enough.

Well done on volunteering to be a pacer, it's a bit responsibility to take on.

Regarding the running struggles you describe, if it's any consolation to you I went through something similar in '11-'13. I still can't assign a definite cause, but I'm sure if you look after yourself, don't overdo it, and keep putting one foot in front of the other, you'll eventually be back to your best, or even better.

Wednesday 7th October - Approx 50 minutes Easy
    6m @ 8:??p/m average

Had intended getting out for some easy miles on Monday & Tuesday, but the body was still really sore after Athlone. I suppose even though I was going at a very easy pace, climbing those hills still had an effect. The lack of recent mileage probably contributed too. Last year I could have done a 20m run the day after a race like that. Just shows you the value of consistent training. Anyway, I was still pretty sore when I did get out. FBOT01 joined me and did the timing since I've somehow managed to lose my Garmin (Dubgal will be delighted :pac:. Looks like I may be calling on the Lidl Timex in New York). I was really hurting on this run, which is pretty worrying considering the pace we were going. Like I said, I'd no watch so I've no splits until FBOT01 updates his log.......

Thursday 8th October - 45 minutes Easy
    5.32m @ 8:28p/m average (including 6x100m Strides)

Out for some easy miles before work with a borrowed Garmin. Strides to finish.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:19
    Mile 2 - 8:42
    Mile 3 - 8:57
    Mile 4 - 8:50
    Mile 5 - 7:32
    0.32 - 2:43

Friday 9th October - 55 minutes Easy
    7.16m @ 7:41p/m average

Was toying with the idea of doing my long run today as I couldn't fit one in over the weekend, but canned that idea early as I wasn't feeling too well.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:46
    Mile 2 - 8:25
    Mile 3 - 8:30
    Mile 4 - 8:31
    Mile 5 - 7:45
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:49
    0.16 - 1:23

Tuesday 13th October - 14m Progression (with 1m w/u & c/d)
    14m @ 7:29p/m average

I've been wanting to get a run in of some sort of quality & distance before New York, if for nothing else than to give me a little bit of confidence. So this was my made up plan for tonight:

Mile 1: 8:00 - 8:05min/mile pace approx
    Mile 2: 7:55 - 8:00min/mile pace approx
    Mile 3: 7:50 - 7:55min/mile pace approx........and so on.

You get the picture. The main caveat was that each mile was to be quicker than the previous one. Starting at 8:05 meant my last mile would be sub 7:00. Managed the whole run fairly well. Wasn't 'easy', but I was comfortable enough for most of it. Didn't bother timing the warm-up/cool-down miles as I had a busy road and railway to cross which would have thrown the figures off. 16 miles in total. Will hopefully get a final 20 in this weekend sometime.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:02
    Mile 2 - 7:56
    Mile 3 - 7:52
    Mile 4 - 7:46
    Mile 5 - 7:42
    Mile 6 - 7:36
    Mile 7 - 7:33
    Mile 8 - 7:24
    Mile 9 - 7:21
    Mile 10 - 7:17
    Mile 11 - 7:12
    Mile 12 - 7:08
    Mile 13 - 7:01
    Mile 14 - 6:51

Have a vague idea of what way I'm going to run in New York after this (which was tonight's intention), but I'd love to hear other opinions before I give my own just to see if anyone is thinking similar.

Fire away. No holds barred. I'm not easily insulted :D

Impressive. Did you manage that perfect progression without looking at the watch? If so I'm even more impressed!

What's the NYC strategy? I lived there for 8 or 9 years but didn't run much in those days so don't have much feel for the terrain. Obviously you have to ease off on the main bridges (Verrazano, Queensboro) and maybe 5th Av drag but the rest is fairly flat, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I'd say 3:10......runs for cover:eek::). I think it's a hard call to make when you haven't done any racing as such and without any real indicator workouts to get an idea so I'm basing it on nothing more than gut instinct on how training has gone.

I'm getting the general vibe over the last few weeks that you've been training towards a faster time than that though, you'll have a better idea than me. Come on, full us in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

P,

Why bother on even focusing on a time, you said yourself a PB isn't gonna happen.

If it were me I'd focus on getting comfortably (injury free) around and soak up the atmosphere of one of the worlds greatest running events.

Don't even bother with the watch.

TbL

• Advertisement

Wednesday 7th October - 55 minutes Easy Recovery
    6.2m @ 8:56p/m average

Had intended getting out for some easy miles on Monday & Tuesday, but the body was still really sore after Athlone. I suppose even though I was going at a very easy pace, climbing those hills still had an effect. The lack of recent mileage probably contributed too. Last year I could have done a 20m run the day after a race like that. Just shows you the value of consistent training. Anyway, I was still pretty sore when I did get out. FBOT01 joined me and did the timing since I've somehow managed to lose my Garmin (Dubgal will be delighted :pac:. Looks like I may be calling on the Lidl Timex in New York). I was really hurting on this run, which is pretty worrying considering the pace we were going. Like I said, I'd no watch so I've no splits until FBOT01 updates his log.......

Thursday 8th October - 45 minutes Easy
    5.32m @ 8:28p/m average (including 6x100m Strides)

Out for some easy miles before work with a borrowed Garmin. Strides to finish.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:19
    Mile 2 - 8:42
    Mile 3 - 8:57
    Mile 4 - 8:50
    Mile 5 - 7:32
    0.32 - 2:43

Friday 9th October - 55 minutes Easy
    7.16m @ 7:41p/m average

Was toying with the idea of doing my long run today as I couldn't fit one in over the weekend, but canned that idea early as I wasn't feeling too well.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:46
    Mile 2 - 8:25
    Mile 3 - 8:30
    Mile 4 - 8:31
    Mile 5 - 7:45
    Mile 6 - 7:54
    Mile 7 - 7:49
    0.16 - 1:23

I've been wanting to get a run in of some sort of quality & distance before New York, if for nothing else than to give me a little bit of confidence. So this was my made up plan for tonight:

You get the picture. The main caveat was that each mile was to be quicker than the previous one. Starting at 8:05 meant my last mile would be sub 7:00. Managed the whole run fairly well. Wasn't 'easy', but I was comfortable enough for most of it. Didn't bother timing the warm-up/cool-down miles as I had a busy road and railway to cross which would have thrown the figures off. 16 miles in total. Will hopefully get a final 20 in this weekend sometime.

Splits:

Have a vague idea of what way I'm going to run in New York after this (which was tonight's intention), but I'd love to hear other opinions before I give my own just to see if anyone is thinking similar.

FYP............nice progression run!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Impressive. Did you manage that perfect progression without looking at the watch? If so I'm even more impressed!

What's the NYC strategy? I lived there for 8 or 9 years but didn't run much in those days so don't have much feel for the terrain. Obviously you have to ease off on the main bridges (Verrazano, Queensboro) and maybe 5th Av drag but the rest is fairly flat, isn't it?

I'm afraid I did allow myself some sneaky looks at the pace, but I was mostly moving at the correct speed. Just needed confirmation :)

I don't think I'll fully decide my strategy until the day itself when I'll know exactly how I'm feeling.

Here's the course profile: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/default/files/NYC%20Marathon%20Elevation%20Profile_2014.pdf

I'd say 3:10......runs for cover:eek::). I think it's a hard call to make when you haven't done any racing as such and without any real indicator workouts to get an idea so I'm basing it on nothing more than gut instinct on how training has gone.

I'm getting the general vibe over the last few weeks that you've been training towards a faster time than that though, you'll have a better idea than me. Come on, full us in.

You seem to be 'running for cover' as if the time you're suggesting is too slow?
    That's definitely not my view at the moment and I'd bite your hand off for a sub 3:10 if you gave it to me now.

P,

Why bother on even focusing on a time, you said yourself a PB isn't gonna happen.

If it were me I'd focus on getting comfortably (injury free) around and soak up the atmosphere of one of the worlds greatest running events.

Don't even bother with the watch.

TbL

With old age comes wisdom...... :D

Sage advice TbL. I think what you're suggesting may well be the best strategy. My three most enjoyable marathons were probably where I did something similar. Berlin 2011, Chicago 2013 (no Garmin for either) & DCM 2014 (where I just relaxed the whole way around). New York is arguably the No. 1 Marathon for sightseeing.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    FYP............nice progression run!

Thanks.

8:56?
    If I didn't already know I was fcuked, that would have confirmed it......

Splits:

Based on this run I'd say you are planning an attempt at two things........firstly a negative split marathon which if I remember correctly would be your first and secondly, you are going to give a Royal Flush a shot i.e. 26.2 miles with each mile quickly than the last. Now you just have to decide on what the first mile should be and sit back and enjoy the challenge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

just don't blow up half way through :p:D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Based on this run I'd say you are planning an attempt at two things........firstly a negative split marathon which if I remember correctly would be your first and secondly, you are going to give a Royal Flush a shot i.e. 26.2 miles with each mile quickly than the last. Now you just have to decide on what the first mile should be and sit back and enjoy the challenge :D

Looking at that elevation profile, the first mile should definitely be the slowest anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Find the garmin then dance on it. In hobnail boots. Then I'll be delighted :D
    Loving the royal flush idea.

• Advertisement

If you're sightseeing, miles 1, 2, 16, 25 and 26 are probably the prettiest.Royal flush would be a fantastic challenge alright, considering the profile. Could easily turn into a bum deal!

Saturday 17th October - 150 minutes Easy
    19.15m @ 7:50p/m average

Had to get a long run of some sort in before New York for my own peace of mind. Still not feeling 100%, but the further I pushed it back the closer it would be to the race, so tonight it was. Happy enough.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 7:53
    Mile 2 - 7:53
    Mile 3 - 7:54
    Mile 4 - 7:53
    Mile 5 - 7:51
    Mile 6 - 7:58
    Mile 7 - 8:03
    Mile 8 - 7:43
    Mile 9 - 7:40
    Mile 10 - 7:39
    Mile 11 - 7:52
    Mile 12 - 7:53
    Mile 13 - 7:45
    Mile 14 - 7:46
    Mile 15 - 7:50
    Mile 16 - 7:56
    Mile 17 - 7:53
    Mile 18 - 7:49
    Mile 19 - 7:43
    0.15m - 1:09

Tuesday 27th October - 7m (with 2m @MP)
    7m @ 7:39p/m average

Quick update:

A few runs in the last 10 days, some with/without the Garmin but nothing above easy pace or worth talking about. I decided to go with the traditional 7m (with 2@MP) this morning. This was quite difficult when I have no idea what MP is!

Splits:

Mile 2 - 7:28
    Mile 3 - 7:26
    Mile 4 - 7:25
    Mile 5 - 7:56
    Mile 6 - 7:51
    Mile 7 - 7:43

I ran an easy mile to start off, then picked it up to a pace I felt would be manageable for 26.22m. I missed the beep for the second MP mile, so just continued with a third at the same effort. Eased off then again after that one. Horrible out there today and I was completely soaked to the skin by the time I got home. Still not sure if I can go faster than that on Sunday, but maybe I'll just do what I did this morning. Run at a pace I feel I can hold and accelerate around 20m if I feel there's more left in the tank. I always reach a point in races (excluding marathons to date) where I know I have enough left to pick up the pace all the way to the finish line. If that happens to occur, I'll do it and enjoy running my first negative split. If it doesn't, at least I won't have gone out too fast for the experience to be a forgetful one. Not sure if I'm going to run between now and Sunday. Probably won't bother logging if I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck on Sunday - enjoy !

Best of luck at the weekend P, and safe travels!!! Hope you really enjoy it... where did your 'book' end up? I'm betting sub 3:15 :)

kit3 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday - enjoy !

Thanks kit. Hope Monday went well for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

All the best for the weekend P & enjoy

annapr wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend P, and safe travels!!! Hope you really enjoy it... where did your 'book' end up? I'm betting sub 3:15 :)

I left before we sorted anything out. Probably for the best :).

If I have a run anything like you described yours on Monday, I'll be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday P.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday P.

Thanks B.
    Good luck with the Rotterdam training.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    All the best for the weekend P & enjoy

Cheers J.
    Looking forward to seeing what you can do when back to full fitness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement