Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great report P really felt for you approaching all those hills. It's over now chalk it up ... You still ran a marathon which as I novice I salute you :) it's all about Boston now no hills there !

Except the most famous of all marathon hills, Heartbreak Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep, not a great race but a very decent read. Could see something was up from the tracker alright as your 5k splits got slower - assumed you were just enjoying the scenery but understand now that wasn't the case. No one respects the distance more than you so this must have hurt. But I've no doubt the experience will stand to you and that you will build something good from it.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Your report, whilst depressing, is very refreshing given the amount of scrotum tickling that has been going on around here of late!!

Cosy! I know they do things a bit differently where you're from, but when I'm reading the logs I try to keep my hands on the iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Murph_D wrote: »
    Cosy! I know they do things a bit differently where you're from, but when I'm reading the logs I try to keep my hands on the iPad.

Who mentioned hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Very honest report as always P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Thanks for all the nice words. I just received this email:

"Dear Peter,

Congratulations—you Got Your New York On.

Yesterday, you were amazing. Indomitable. Unstoppable. You took on Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan, and you triumphed, finishing the 2015 TCS New York City Marathon in a time of 3:33:28."

I guess they didn't read my report :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Y 'assed out ace but quit yo buggin n git yo booty chillin & cuttin the rug. Fasho you can freestyle fresh at the Raheny 5. You ain't played out jus yet. Aight?! Straight.

I have absolutely no idea what this means :pac:

My rough guess is: 'Sort yourself out and come back fresh with a pb in the Raheny 5'.

Close?

Gavlor wrote: »
    Your report, whilst depressing, is very refreshing given the amount of scrotum tickling that has been going on around here of late!!

I haven't really been following any logs over the last few months so like chivito I was a bit shocked when I saw your finish time on the NYC thread. There's not much I can say that the lads haven't covered already bar this:

In the boozer after DCM last year my overriding memory of you is the way you were asking everybody and anybody to run Boston, the best marathon ever, once in a life time etc etc. I think you need to sit back and dip into that enthusiasm. I'd be inclined to use NYC as base training and knuckle down for Boston. If you defer now you might never do it. Who knows what's around the corner.....

You're totally right about the enthusiasm. If I get that back, it's more than half the battle. Going out to run sessions on windy, rainy, cold nights is easy when you want to do it.

"If you defer now you might never do it. Who knows what's around the corner...."

I think I may have actually said those exact words. Are you deliberately quoting me? :D

Plus deferrals aren't allowed anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just finished reading your report. Yeah ... other than my target was nowhere near yours, and my training was pretty good ... I was nodding in agreement as I read most of that. Good to meet you after. Bottle the disappointment and use the feeling to fuel Boston training.

• Advertisement

I've made the mistake of going on post-marathon binges with no running before, so I decided it was for the best if I didn't do that this time. I don't deserve a break after last Sunday anyway :rolleyes:

Monday & Tuesday were out due to travelling/sleeping/jet-lag, but I got back into it on Wednesday. I'm a firm believer in the HADD training, so am going back to that ahead of Boston. I've decided to get a solid month of easy aerobic running in first, before I go back to following the same sort of plan I stuck to for Hamburg. Since Wednesday, I've just been running at certain heart rates for set amounts of time. I don't have distances or splits, I have HR's and workout lengths. That's all I'm going to worry about for the moment.

Wednesday 4th November - 35 minutes Recovery
    35 minutes @ 113bpm avg

First run since NYC. Hamstrings & quads very sore, but calves, feet, lower legs and upper body fine. Obviously didn't try hard enough on Sunday.

Thursday 5th November - 35 minutes Recovery
    35 minutes @ 108bpm avg

Hamstrings and quads still a little sore, but much improved from Monday. Everything else fine.

Friday 6th November - 60 minutes Recovery
    60 minutes @ 115bpm avg

Down in Cork City for this around Pairc Ui Chaoimhe and the reservoir for this one. Soreness gone from the quads. Hamstrings still a little tight. No other issues.

Saturday 7th November - 75 minutes Easy
    75 minutes @ 135bpm avg

In rural Cork for this. I intended the average HR to be lower, but the extremely hilly route prevented that. Once I'm below 135bpm though, it's ok. No soreness anywhere.

Monday 9th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 129bpm avg

Back in work today and ran home afterwards. Hamstrings a little tight again, but more due to Saturday's hills than the marathon I think? Mostly running uphill into the very strong wind, but happy with the consistent effort. Nice and mild out for November.

Tuesday 10th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 128bpm avg

Very similar to last night's run, except with a much lighter breeze blowing. Beautiful again outside. How long will that last? Body all good.

Wednesday 11th November - 90 minutes Easy
    90 minutes @ 130bpm avg

Weather didn't seem too promising looking out the window this morning, but I left it until after 10am by which time it had cleared up nicely. Lovely again out there now. Is it really Winter?

Thursday 12th November - 60 minutes Easy
    60 minutes @ 124bpm avg

Nice run in the blustery conditions out there this evening. My most enjoyable one in a while.

Friday 13th November - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 126bpm avg

Done before the sun came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

That's some turnaround in training over the past week or so P - well done, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer in the HADD training, so am going back to that ahead of Boston. I've decided to get a solid month of easy aerobic running in first, before I go back to following the same sort of plan I stuck to for Hamburg.

Sounds like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

How long are you planning to use HADD for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Monday & Tuesday were out due to travelling/sleeping/jet-lag, but I got back into it on Wednesday. I'm a firm believer in the HADD training, so am going back to that ahead of Boston. I've decided to get a solid month of easy aerobic running in first, before I go back to following the same sort of plan I stuck to for Hamburg. Since Wednesday, I've just been running at certain heart rates for set amounts of time. I don't have distances or splits, I have HR's and workout lengths. That's all I'm going to worry about for the moment.

Just regarding HADD. I was wondering would it be worth while to get Vo2 max and LT testing done?

Might be a way of sticking to principles of HADD while making it more specific to you that the absolute numbers quoted in the PDF

Saturday 14th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 129bpm avg

Run home from work late last night in the cold, wind & rain. Enjoyed it though.

Duanington wrote: »
    That's some turnaround in training over the past week or so P - well done, keep it up!

Thanks D. I see you're gradually getting back to it yourself. Where are you going for the sub 3? :)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm hoping it is...... :)

How long are you planning to use HADD for?

As long as it takes for me to do myself justice in the marathon. It won't harm my other distances either, as I learned in 2014.

Just regarding HADD. I was wondering would it be worth while to get Vo2 max and LT testing done?

Might be a way of sticking to principles of HADD while making it more specific to you that the absolute numbers quoted in the PDF

I've never even thought about it tbh. Do you think it's something I should do?

Since I'm way off full fitness, if I was to go tomorrow would that give me different values than when I am? My HMP feels like my 3-5k pace atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

I've never even thought about it tbh. Do you think it's something I should do?

Since I'm way off full fitness, if I was to go tomorrow would that give me different values than when I am? My HMP feels like my 3-5k pace atm.

If you were to go in the values would be fairly accurate for 6-8 weeks depending on mithochondrial development. I would say get a week or two more training done and will probably give you fairly accurate results to work off for Dec/Jan-Feb. At that point could always retest or if you are planning on going back to P & D it might not be as necessary

Sunday 15th November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 132bpm avg

Lovely morning out there for a run. Felt like I was slowing/fading badly in the last 30 minutes. It was uphill and into a headwind, but I took on the same conditions last night and felt fine. Feel like it may have been more down to dehydration. I'll stock up on some water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thanks D. I see you're gradually getting back to it yourself. Where are you going for the sub 3? :)

Ha ha - it'll be a while yet P, next Autumn at the earliest

Monday 16th November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 130bpm avg

Similar run to yesterday, except the HR was slightly lower and wasn't climbing in the final quarter of the run. Very happy with this. Pretty cold outside. You'd want to be fairly moving to break a sweat. I ran some of this along the canal. Although it was open today, there are signs along the towpath (between the new bridge and Lock 9) saying it will be closed between now and February. Murph will be devastated :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Monday 16th November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 130bpm avg

Similar run to yesterday, except the HR was slightly lower and wasn't climbing in the final quarter of the run. Very happy with this. Pretty cold outside. You'd want to be fairly moving to break a sweat. I ran some of this along the canal. Although it was open today, there are signs along the towpath (between the new bridge and Lock 9) saying it will be closed between now and February. Murph will be devastated :pac:

he's not the only one! I've only discovered the canal and now its closing for the winter? does the same apply from Clonsilla towwards Maynooth do you know P?

Firedance wrote: »
    he's not the only one! I've only discovered the canal and now its closing for the winter? does the same apply from Clonsilla towwards Maynooth do you know P?

I think it's only the section I mention (about 0.5m stretch), but it was supposed to be closed today and it wasn't. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭aero2k

Saturday 14th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 129bpm avg

Run home from work late last night in the cold, wind & rain. Enjoyed it though.

That's the secret of success right there.

I want to complement you on a great race report and an honest post mortem - you didn't get what you wanted because your training wasn't good enough. It's easy for me to see because I've been there - I went from 3:22 to 2:54 in 18 months, and then back up to 3:23 (actually 3.30 if you include the stop at the medical tent) two years later. Somewhere along the line I had fallen out of love with running and it was becoming a chore - yes I had some physical problems but they're still there and they haven't prevented a steady line of improvements from that nadir - I think I just for got to enjoy it, and got stuck in a rut.

The bad performance in London was the nudge I needed to decide that I didn't want that to be the way it all ended, that I could do better - I just needed to be patient, put the work in and stop trying to rationalise short cuts by telling myself great stories about past exploits. Trying a succession of book based programs helped give me the mental change I needed, heading south to Cork let me try a new course while still in a "home" environment as I could stay with the in-laws.

I know I have a habit of dropping into other peoples' logs and talking about myself - I hate doing it but it's the easiest way to make the case for patience and self belief. Time is on your side, I foresee greater heights ahead, if that's where you want to go.

Thanks Sean.
    I agree with everything you say.

In all walks of life, it's always easy to find something/someone else (other than yourself) to blame when you perform worse than your capabilities suggest you should. In my opinion that's the easy way out. People who do that will continue making excuses & repeating the same mistakes, while failing to make any improvement. The cold, hard truth can hurt, but facing up to it and being completely honest with yourself/others gives you the best possible chance. My immediate plan is to give myself the best possible chance of beating your pb in Boston. Maybe if I do that, you'll be enticed out of retirement :D

My immediate plan is to give myself the best possible chance of beating your pb in Boston. Maybe if I do that, you'll be enticed out of retirement :D

Ha ha, nice try, but no way. Anyway, Boston doesn't count as it's downhill, you'll have to do it in Dublin!

Besides, why limit yourself to some auld lad's PB - pick on a young lad like Krusty. (or pick on an auld lad like Pauric McKinney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

aero2k wrote: »
    Ha ha, nice try, but no way. Anyway, Boston doesn't count as it's downhill, you'll have to do it in Dublin!

Dublin is an easier course to PB then Boston. Early downhill sections if ran too fast will leave your legs in bits @ 15

ger664 wrote: »
    Dublin is an easier course to PB then Boston. Early downhill sections if ran too fast will leave your legs in bits @ 15

My remark was tongue-in-cheek, however it does highlight the difficulty in comparing marathon performances. Wind and extremes of temperature are also often a factor in Boston. That said, Geoffrey Mutai did manage 2:03:02 there in the past few years. Cheruyiot's three successive victories in 2:07, 2:14 and 2:07 would suggest that something other than the downhill was in play, though I have no idea what took place during those races - i.e. if he was trying to lose rivals, or if it was down to weather.

Anyway, every marathon has lots of sections in the first 20 miles which will leave you in trouble over the final 6 if you run them too fast.

Peter, I hope you smash my PB, and I don't care where you do it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

My remark was tongue-in-cheek, however it does highlight the difficulty in comparing marathon performances. Wind and extremes of temperature are also often a factor in Boston. That said, Geoffrey Mutai did manage 2:03:02 there in the past few years. Cheruyiot's three successive victories in 2:07, 2:14 and 2:07 would suggest that something other than the downhill was in play, though I have no idea what took place during those races - i.e. if he was trying to lose rivals, or if it was down to weather.

Anyway, every marathon has lots of sections in the first 20 miles which will leave you in trouble over the final 6 if you run them too fast.

Peter, I hope you smash my PB, and I don't care where you do it!:D

Being a point to point course, wind plays a big factor. Generally there is a head wind which eliminates any advantage that the downhill might provide, however the year Mutai ran 2:03:02 there was a decent tailwind and perfect temperatures. The nature of the course means it cannot be used for world records although most countries seem to accept Boston times for the purposes of qualification times.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 18th November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 129bpm avg

Took an unscheduled rest day yesterday. Barney nearly blew me under a car on the short cycle to the train station, so I thought staying indoors was the safest option all things considered. Wasn't sure how long I'd run for tonight. Decided to play it by ear. It takes me less than an hour to run home from work, but I can alter the route to suit how far/long I want to go. Felt great all the way and stretched the 45-50mins out to an hour, then the hour out to 90 minutes and finally 90 minutes out to two hours. Could have run all night :)

Wednesday 18th November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 129bpm avg

Took an unscheduled rest day yesterday. Barney nearly blew me under a car on the short cycle to the train station, so I thought staying indoors was the safest option all things considered. Wasn't sure how long I'd run for tonight. Decided to play it by ear. It takes me less than an hour to run home from work, but I can alter the route to suit how far/long I want to go. Felt great all the way and stretched the 45-50mins out to an hour, then the hour out to 90 minutes and finally 90 minutes out to two hours. Could have run all night :)

That's fantastic. Unlike many others on here, I've never experienced the "I struggled to keep my pace down to x:xx / mile", however I have had that run forever feeling - it's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

That's fantastic. Unlike many others on here, I've never experienced the "I struggled to keep my pace down to x:xx / mile", however I have had that run forever feeling - it's hard to beat.

I feel better now that I know I am not alone :)

Thursday 19th November - 2 x 60 minutes Easy
    60 minutes @ 126bpm avg (A.M.)
    60 minutes @ 126bpm avg (P.M.)

Two almost identical runs. If the logistics weren't so difficult, I'd run to and from work every day. My mood is so much better afterwards. I hate sitting in traffic or squeezing onto trains that resemble sardine cans.

Forgot to qualify my question, sorry! Are you using the HADD for marathon training or as base training?

• Advertisement

Forgot to qualify my question, sorry! Are you using the HADD for marathon training or as base training?

I'm hoping to follow the plan (incorporating the two steady sessions per week) right up to the marathon. That's what I did for Hamburg and it worked out ok. For now though, I'm just running easy effort miles until the end of this month to try and get some fitness back. If I did decide to move onto a different plan before the marathon (I don't intend to atm), I think what I'm doing at the moment can only help me.

Friday 20th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 126bpm avg

Easy run home from work. Very cold out there.

yaboya1 wrote:
    I'm hoping to follow the plan (incorporating the two steady sessions per week) right up to the marathon. That's what I did for Hamburg and it worked out ok. For now though, I'm just running easy effort miles until the end of this month to try and get some fitness back. If I did decide to move onto a different plan before the marathon (I don't intend to atm), I think what I'm doing at the moment can only help me.

On the old phone so excuse the short reply.

Put shortly and simply, are you not in big danger of overdoing the same approach? How much did your times come down last time, one minute? If it were me I would try something different. I really don't mean for that to come across in a bad way. I really think you are a 2.54 runner.

Have a big think about it. I promised myself that my next marathon cycle will be very different in it's approach. I won't 'rinse and repeat', knocking off a bit here and there.

On the old phone so excuse the short reply.

Put shortly and simply, are you not in big danger of overdoing the same approach? How much did your times come down last time, one minute? If it were me I would try something different. I really don't mean for that to come across in a bad way. I really think you are a 2.54 runner.

Have a big think about it. I promised myself that my next marathon cycle will be very different in it's approach. I won't 'rinse and repeat', knocking off a bit here and there.

I take your point and see why you would believe it won't help me achieve much of an improvement. However, I just have a hunch about something and I'm keen to follow it through and see if I'm right. If I feel its not working for me, I can switch to a more conventional approach. I'll be open to criticism if whatever I decide doesn't work. Isn't that what an online log is all about? :)

Monday 23rd November - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 132bpm avg

Work & team night out meant no running on Saturday, while I'd hoped to get something done yesterday but tiredness & dehydration got the better of me. Nothing much to say about today. Not as cold as last week, but felt slower.

Tuesday 24th November - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 125bpm avg

Post work trot. Hope to do similar in the morning.

Wednesday 25th November - 50 minutes Easy
    50 minutes @ 126bpm avg

Very similar to yesterday except five minutes longer.

Thursday 26th November - 150 minutes Easy
    150 minutes @ 134bpm avg

Fine for most of this, but definitely felt a bit of a slowdown in the last thirty minutes to prevent the HR rising. Will hopefully do better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Thursday 26th November - 150 minutes Easy
    150 minutes @ 134bpm avg

Fine for most of this, but definitely felt a bit of a slowdown in the last thirty minutes to prevent the HR rising. Will hopefully do better next time.

Hi P great to see you back with some real consistency in your running since New York. Every cloud and all that :)

What's the thinking behind going out for as long as 150mins? I would have thought that 90/120mins would have been more than enough in one go if rebuilding the aerobic base is the plan at the moment?

PS I haven't read the HADD stuff so excuse my ignorance if the 150mins is in line with that and you are just doing what he says:o

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Hi P great to see you back with some real consistency in your running since New York. Every cloud and all that :)

What's the thinking behind going out for as long as 150mins? I would have thought that 90/120mins would have been more than enough in one go if rebuilding the aerobic base is the plan at the moment?

PS I haven't read the HADD stuff so excuse my ignorance if the 150mins is in line with that and you are just doing what he says:o

No real thinking behind it tbh. Just trying to get some longer runs in on days I'm off (like today). Tomorrow I'm not going to get to run at all, so I like to think I'm making the most of the opportunities I get atm. I'll have a more detailed look at the HADD stuff again once we hit December.

• Advertisement
Advertisement