Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Friday 15th January (P.M.) - JD Q2 Workout
    6 x 5mins hard (with 3min jog recoveries)

Hardest thing for this was finding a patch of ground where I wouldn't fall and break my neck. Managed to do that, but got diverted by traffic/traffic lights mid-rep a couple of times which really knocked my momentum (especially when I ended up in a dead end at one stage and had to make a complete U-turn!). Also hit the lap button on rep 5 when trying to check if I was on pace, so that one is slightly shorter than the others. Other than those minor issues I'm pretty happy, even though I'm exhausted. Close to 80 miles in the last 6 days. I'm taking a couple of days off now. No more running until Monday night.

2m w/u - 17:28 (8:44p/m pace)

Rep 1 - 0.84m (5:57p/m pace)
    Rep 2 - 0.84m (5:57p/m pace)
    Rep 3 - 0.83m (6:02p/m pace)
    Rep 4 - 0.84m (5:57p/m pace)
    Rep 5 - 0.77m (5:59p/m pace) (4:36 rep)
    Rep 6 - 0.84m (5:57p/m pace)

2m c/d - 18:34 (9:17p/m pace)

Total miles (including recoveries): 10.73

Think I've been wearing my watch too loose. Was showing 177bpm on the cool down at circa 9min/mile pace. When I tightened it, it immediately dropped to 124bpm which seemed about right. Lesson learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

that's quite a weeks training there P with the sessions & 80 miles, I can't even comprehend that. You seem to be enjoying it too, enjoy your rest days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

really enjoying your log - I re-read it back from the depts of darkest November, and its a great turnaround.
    Keep it going but watch the exhaustion - its still early in the cycle.

Monday 18th January - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 128bpm avg

Bleh!
    14.25m @ 8:25p/m pace. Didn't feel very good at all during this. Haven't really got an explanation.

Tuesday 19th January (A.M.) - JD Q1 Workout
    2m E + 6 x 6mins T (with 1min jog recoveries) + 2m E

Found this to be tougher than I expected (probably because I did it at 7am).

2m w/u - 17:26 (8:43p/m pace)

Rep 1 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 2 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)
    Rep 3 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)
    Rep 4 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 5 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 6 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)

2m c/d - 17:28 (8:44p/m pace)

Total miles (including recoveries): 10.31

Step back week this week, meaning after my run home tonight I'll have already covered close to 60% of the prescribed mileage. I'll more than likely give myself an extra day off again before I get stuck into my first 100% week from next Monday. Have to incorporate the Raheny 5 Mile into that. Suggestions on a postcard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Monday 18th January - 120 minutes Easy
    120 minutes @ 128bpm avg

Bleh!
    14.25m @ 8:25p/m pace. Didn't feel very good at all during this. Haven't really got an explanation.

Well let's start by looking at what you got up to at the weekend ;)
    • Rest and relaxtion??
    • Working all the hours God sent??
    • Party Central??
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except the R&R Bit :)??

As you well know in every cycle we all have our fair share of Bleh days and there doesn't always have to be a specific reason. Sh!t happnes as they say. You also have had some fairly big weeks over the last few so they are going to take some toll while the system is adapting.

Tuesday 19th January (A.M.) - JD Q1 Workout
    2m E + 6 x 6mins T (with 1min jog recoveries) + 2m E

Found this to be tougher than I expected (probably because I did it at 7am).

2m w/u - 17:26 (8:43p/m pace)

Rep 1 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 2 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)
    Rep 3 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)
    Rep 4 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 5 - 0.95m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 6 - 0.96m (6:15p/m pace)

2m c/d - 17:28 (8:44p/m pace)

Total miles (including recoveries): 10.31

Step back week this week, meaning after my run home tonight I'll have already covered close to 60% of the prescribed mileage. I'll more than likely give myself an extra day off again before I get stuck into my first 100% week from next Monday. Have to incorporate the Raheny 5 Mile into that. Suggestions on a postcard.

You might want to consider MS's suggestion of looking at fortnightly training blocks rather than weeks over the next couple of weeks i.e. look at this week and next as a combined two week block rather than individual weeks and move runs around within that rather than trying to fit a 100% week and a race into next week.

PS another nice session under the belt. Well done!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Well let's start by looking at what you got up to at the weekend ;)
    • Rest and relaxtion??
    • Working all the hours God sent??
    • Party Central??
    • None of the above
    • All of the above except the R&R Bit :)??

As you well know in every cycle we all have our fair share of Bleh days and there doesn't always have to be a specific reason. Sh!t happnes as they say. You also have had some fairly big weeks over the last few so they are going to take some toll while the system is adapting.

Was away for the weekend, so mainly the one in bold but nothing too bad as I was in bed by 1am. Sleep probably wasn't the best quality though. I won't worry about it.

Tuesday 19th January (P.M.) - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 123bpm avg

Easy run home. Definitely still feeling the effects from this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're really motoring again P, good to see.

For a while there you were limping along like a recently neutered dog :)

Keep it up (no pun intended!)

TbL

• Advertisement

Wednesday 20th January - 75 minutes Easy
    75 minutes @ 127bpm avg

Really took advantage of my day off work with a monster lie-in. I'm not normally a big sleeper, but felt like it was badly needed. Out for the run before it got dark. Less than 14m left to cover now for the week. I'll run to work in the morning and do my Q2 session on Saturday. Friday & Sunday off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep, so in the zone. This log starting to look like Berlin 2014. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Thursday 21st January - 60 minutes Easy
    60 minutes @ 123bpm avg

Last run until Saturday. Going to give blood this evening. Will that have any negative effects on my training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Take it easy after a blood donation. You should be grand in a few days. Make sure to drink plenty of water.
    If you're suitable you could see about donating platelets which has a much lower affect on athletic performance as you're not losing any red blood cells. You can only donate platelets at St James (or St Finbarrs in Cork) though so it doesn't suit everyone.

Thursday 21st January - 60 minutes Easy
    60 minutes @ 123bpm avg

Last run until Saturday. Going to give blood this evening. Will that have any negative effects on my training?

Shouldn't do but even if you feel 100% no harm in cutting yourself a little slack at the weekend just to be sure to be sure.

Saturday 23rd January - JD Q2 Workout
    5 x 1k/1200m/1m I (with 3/4/5min recoveries)

I've been hitting these sessions on target, but can't help thinking they're a little deceptive with the big recoveries. So I decided to try a 5k timed run instead, which I felt would give similar benefits to the prescribed workout and also give me some idea what to expect in Raheny next week. It would also get me back to 'racing', which I haven't done for a long time. Plan was to go out at a pace I felt I could hold for the entirety of the race and speed up at the end if possible. Executed it pretty well, but was originally a little disappointed at the time, as I was hoping it would be sub 18. Looking back though, it's not too bad and should hopefully bring me on for the 5 miler next Sunday. Made up the remainder of the week's mileage jogging to/from train/DART stations.

St Anne's parkun (18:37)

Mile 1 - 6:08
    Mile 2 - 6:10
    Mile 3 - 5:58
    0.06 - 0:21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nicely done there P - I can't help but think I was lacking a few races over my last training block. Good to get a few under the belt on the way to the big one

Duanington wrote: »
    Nicely done there P - I can't help but think I was lacking a few races over my last training block. Good to get a few under the belt on the way to the big one

When you say big one, I assume you're referring to the smackdown next week? :D

Nice :) did you leg it afterwards? Had a quick look around post run to say hi but they'd some crowd there today! Well done

When you say big one, I assume you're referring to the smackdown next week? :D

Of course ! Are there any other races this year?

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Nice :) did you leg it afterwards? Had a quick look around post run to say hi but they'd some crowd there today! Well done

Didn't stay around the finish area long, but was on the cafe for a good while afterwards.

Hectic few days.....

Sunday 24th January - Rest

The work I'd put in earlier in the week meant I had made room for an extra rest day here. But with a tough week ahead and no easier way of getting to the office early Sunday morning, I was going to give myself a little headstart. However Saturday night was pretty rough and although I still could have managed it, I decided the original decision to rest was the right one.

Monday 25th January

(A.M) - 60 minutes Easy
    60 minutes @ 125bpm

(P.M) - 90 minutes Easy
    90 minutes @ 130bpm

Stretched out both routes either side of work, extending the total length of the double to almost 18 miles. Good start to a demanding week.

Tuesday 26th January - JD Q1 Workout

This was supposed to be the lesser of 25% of the week's mileage OR 2.5 hours. I'm maxing out at 75m, meaning I'd be running 18.75m at most today. The fact that the VDOT value for my marathon PB is the worst by far in comparison to all my PB's at other race distances could only have you come to the conclusion that endurance is a bit of an issue for me. Therefore I'm hoping to extend a few of these long runs up to at least 22m (possibly further) throughout the plan. I also remember Krusty telling me before that he thought JD plans were better suited to 90/100mpw runners, so those instructions would have you running that sort of distance in long runs if that was the case. Anyway I decided today that twenty was plenty. Onto the run....

Yesterday was beautiful. What happened today? Running in that was idiotic/ridiculous. Trying to maintain a consistent HR was impossible/nonsensical, so I just concentrated on keeping an even pace for the whole run while I got battered by everything the storm out there had to throw at me.

Final stats:

20m @ 8:16p/m average (142bpm avg)

More than half of the mileage I've to cover this week is out of the way already now. A couple of doubles over the next two days will leave me with just one easy run on Friday morning and the race in Raheny to finish it off. Once I stick to that plan I can rest up on Saturday to give me some chance of doing myself justice on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Going very well again man, good to see it. Very interested to see your thoughts on the plan at the end too!

Wednesday 27th January - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 118bpm

This was supposed to be the first of a morning/evening double, but for various reasons I couldn't get back out in the evening. Kept it very easy after the previous day's 20 miler.

Thursday 28th January - JD Q2 Workout
    2m E + 4x12min T (with 2min rests) + 2m E

I knew this would be tough, especially when I felt the gale that was blowing as I ran the warm up miles. Decided to hit the Clontarf coastline for this. I knew the wind would help me going out and figured once I hit the first two sections on target, I'd stubbornly dig in on the way back for the final two. That's exactly how it worked out. I was well above pace on the final rep, but managed to drag it back just in time. Happy with the session, but almost vomited afterwards. Really hard going, but it was runs like that along the coast two years ago that made the Seville Marathon seem so easy for so long on race day. Spotted MrsMc putting the final touches to her Raheny 5 Mile preparation during my third rep. She waved and said hello enthusiastically . I blurted out 'Heya' with snot all over my face in response. Unlike her, I think I may have left my Raheny 5 in Clontarf tonight :O

2m E - 16:47 (8:24p/m avg)

Rep 1 - 1.91m (6:17p/m pace)
    Rep 2 - 1.90m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 3 - 1.90m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 4 - 1.91m (6:20p/m pace)

2m E - 18:12 (9:06/m avg)

Total miles (including recoveries): 12.12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jesus, who's got the mojo back. Well done man. Remind me of the first big target of the year.

Itziger wrote: »
    Jesus, who's got the mojo back. Well done man. Remind me of the first big target of the year.

Well I'm running Raheny on Sunday and Ballycotton in March. Although I obviously want to run well in both of those, Boston is the only race I'm really targeting. The others are just lumped in the middle of marathon training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Boston it is then. Mind them hills.

Wednesday 27th January - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 118bpm

This was supposed to be the first of a morning/evening double, but for various reasons I couldn't get back out in the evening. Kept it very easy after the previous day's 20 miler.

Thursday 28th January - JD Q2 Workout
    2m E + 4x12min T (with 2min rests) + 2m E

I knew this would be tough, especially when I felt the gale that was blowing as I ran the warm up miles. Decided to hit the Clontarf coastline for this. I knew the wind would help me going out and figured once I hit the first two sections on target, I'd stubbornly dig in on the way back for the final two. That's exactly how it worked out. I was well above pace on the final rep, but managed to drag it back just in time. Happy with the session, but almost vomited afterwards. Really hard going, but it was runs like that along the coast two years ago that made the Seville Marathon seem so easy for so long on race day. Spotted MrsMc putting the final touches to her Raheny 5 Mile preparation during my third rep. She waved and said hello enthusiastically . I blurted out 'Heya' with snot all over my face in response. Unlike her, I think I may have left my Raheny 5 in Clontarf tonight :O

2m E - 16:47 (8:24p/m avg)

Rep 1 - 1.91m (6:17p/m pace)
    Rep 2 - 1.90m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 3 - 1.90m (6:20p/m pace)
    Rep 4 - 1.91m (6:20p/m pace)

2m E - 18:12 (9:06/m avg)

Total miles (including recoveries): 12.12

Nice session there, P. However, you can quit that sandbagging or would you like me to trawl back through this log and come back with various quotes from race reports that confirm that a lot of your best results have come off high mileage hard weeks rather than at times when you have rested up for races:P

Duanington isn't going to fall for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Nice session there, P. However, you can quit that sandbagging or would you like me to trawl back through this log and come back with various quotes from race reports that confirm that a lot of your best results have come off high mileage hard weeks rather than at times when you have rested up for races:P

Duanington isn't going to fall for that :D

Yeah he obviously filled the short pockets with sand as he ran along the Clontarf coastline!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

tang1 wrote: »
    Yeah he obviously filled the short pockets with sand as he ran along the Clontarf coastline!!!

Sounds like the only thing he left in Clontarf was the contents of his nose... :eek:

I can confirm this - there was f*ck all sand left when I went looking to fill up this evening :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Spotted MrsMc putting the final touches to her Raheny 5 Mile preparation during my third rep. She waved and said hello enthusiastically .

Only cause I had just changed direction having run two miles into the wind and I decided F this and turned around, was so much easier running the other way !!!

Friday 30th January - 45 minutes Easy
    45 minutes @ 120bpm

Took it very easy again this morning. The whole body is creaking. Feel like I'm on the brink of pushing it over the edge. Therefore, even though I've only covered 60m so far this week (supposed to total 75m), I'm not running again until Sunday as originally planned. I missed runs on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning due to various circumstances, but I think it would be silly to try and make up for those now.

Some funny talk on here since yesterday. I'd love if it were true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Enjoying this. Am half tempted to not race and follow this Sunday's smackdown of D vs P from the bike. Probably wouldn't be able to keep up with them speedsters though.

We need drone footage.

See yiz Sunday...

Best of luck tomorrow P, leave the sand at home!

• Advertisement

good luck tomorrow P!

Firedance wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow P!

+1 will be watching out for you

annapr wrote: »
    +1 will be watching out for you

that sounds like a threat....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good luck today P

Hope the creaking body had a nice restful day yesterday and is primed and ready to go. Have a good one, P and of course.....ENJOY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck today

Managed to miss you both times, P... hope you had a good run! even if FBOT did pip you at the post.

Cheers for all the good wishes.

The much anticipated smackdown with Duanington turned out to be less of a contest than Novak Djokovic & Andy Murray this morning. He absolutely wiped the floor with me. Didn't see him after the 2m pole. Similar story with FBOT01. I did catch a glimpse of him with 0.5m to go, but was too far behind to reel him in. Did manage a sprint finish to hold off a Crusader in the straight which wasn't a bad effort since I'd my tail between my legs at that stage.

Smackdown result: A distant 3rd in 30:16.

Back to the drawing board......

Managed to miss you both times, P... hope you had a good run! even if FBOT did pip you at the post.

From reading other logs it seems I wasn't the only one you missed.

Did you see anyone out there?
    Mick Clohisey? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Given the increased training and intensity you've been doing recently that's not a bad run.

TbL

Given the increased training and intensity you've been doing recently that's not a bad run.

TbL

For once I have to agree with TbL, great going in the conditions and looking at results most are down on what they would run 5 mile in normally.

looking at results most are down on what they would run 5 mile in normally.

Yeah, but the two that mattered were ahead of me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh, believe me she spotted him alright. I didn't miss you, though :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/24366710539/in/album-72157663974262062/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/24640852711/in/album-72157663974262062/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/116117475@N06/24734211425/in/album-72157663974262062/

Well the claw was quite dazzling. And had the advantage of having nobody near him to obstruct the view :D

I think we were distracted by shouting at FBOT and missed you. D didn't see you either, but the camera did!

Well the claw was quite dazzling. And had the advantage of having nobody near him to obstruct the view :D

I think we were distracted by shouting at FBOT and missed you. D didn't see you either, but the camera did!

echm yeah we saw Mick, both times :p as Anna said we all turned to roar at FBOT as he ran past, you were obviously on his tail and we missed you, sorry, well done though on a decent run on a tough day out for many.

• Advertisement
Advertisement