Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

As you said yourself, go hard or go home Sunday P. All the best with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    As you said yourself, go hard or go home Sunday P. All the best with it.

Thanks B.
    See you in Trim next week.

London Marathon - Week 8/18

A day early with the update this week. Will explain below....

Monday 23rd January
    6m @ 7:49p/m average (127bpm avg)

Handy one on a beautiful evening for a run.

Tuesday 24th January
    2.5k w/u @ 7:51p/m average (133bpm avg)
    3 x 1600m @ 5:56p/m average with 600m recoveries (159bpm)
    2.5k c/d @ 7:59p/m average (136bpm avg)

The rest day is scheduled for the Wednesday of each week during this plan. This means the fastest session you run in each seven day period falls on the sixth day in a row of running. Maybe that's why it always seems so difficult!
    Was feeling fairly fatigued heading out but I do like this session, mainly because you can usually hit the first rep of any workout fairly easy and always pick it up for the last one. That only leaves one in the middle that you have to bust a gut in. One is not many :D. In the end I didn't have to. It wasn't easy by any means, but very, very manageable.

Wednesday 25th January
    Rest

Thursday 26th January
    1.5m w/u @ 8:00p/m average (130bpm avg)
    7m @ 6:34p/m average (155bpm avg)
    1.5m c/d @ 7:34p/m average (140bpm)

Bit of a snivel today and blowing a gale outside, so was wary not to push it too much with Raheny coming up on Sunday. So I didn't and pleasantly surprised myself with how easy I found this. A doddle! In far from ideal conditions too. With more than 12 weeks to go until London and some improvement in fitness, I think it's fairly realistic that MP might quicken up a tad. Looking good for a pb in Raheny. My first in almost 2 years!

Friday 27th January
    6m @ 7:57p/m average (125bpm avg)

Easy little trot in the evening after work. Still suffering from a little snivel. Hopefully gone completely by Sunday afternoon.

Saturday 28th January
    Rest

So, I've almost completed Week 8 of the Hansons plan. I had deliberately built in a buffer to allow for some prep races which is now coming into play. Saturday & Sunday of this week were supposed to be 2 x 10m Easy. I will do those on Wednesday & Thursday of next week instead. I'll throw in some short recovery runs either side of that (Tuesday & Friday) and take both Monday & Saturday off. Then it's the Trim 10m on Sunday. The following week (beginning February 6th) will be rest & recovery, before getting back into Week 9 of the plan on February 13th.

I believe this way allows me to give both races my best shot and ample opportunity to recover from them properly. At the same time I'm not missing anything I'm scheduled to do, and when I rejoin I'll be 10 weeks out with 10 weeks left on the plan. I just need to work out how I'm going to work around the Ballycotton 10, but on first glance it's just a matter of running hard that day instead of easy (as there's 10m prescribed anyway) and taking the Monday a bit easier than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck tomorrow, might bump into you.

Sunday 29th January - Raheny 5 Mile
    5m @ 6:01p/m average (168bpm)

Pre-Race

Parked the car at the Red Stables with about 20 minutes to spare and made my way to the start. Had an old jumper with me to stop me getting cold and for once I had very little waiting around to do as I only arrived in the starting pen with less than ten minutes to the gun.

The Race

Was looking out for a few familiar faces to use as possible markers, but I saw nobody I knew until davedanon said hello just before we got going. We wished each other well and were on our way pretty soon afterwards. I have no idea where the actual start line was as I was waiting to cross a mat which we never seemed to?

Mile 1 (6:06)

I knew there would be congestion early on, as the location of the start makes it a virtual certainty with so many runners & such narrow roads along with parked cars and a few turns to negotiate early in the first mile. I didn't panic though, and felt if I dropped five seconds here I'd find it easier to make the time back later than weaving in and out & generally being a slave to the Garmin.

Mile 2 (6:07)

I felt like I was moving ok in this mile, but I kept getting boxed in behind people and it would have taken a bigger effort to try and negotiate a path around them than to sit and suffer for a while. So I tagged on and watched the second mile go by above target pace too, aware that I should have plenty of room to overtake in the second half of the race.

Mile 3 (6:03)

Happy enough starting this mile knowing we had a bit of a downhill to come, but aware I had to use it to make some seconds up. AMK passed me about halfway into this mile and said hello (or something to that effect). I heard him but didn't want to waste any energy talking at this stage (Sorry AMK). I sat in behind him for a minute or two, but then noticed the pace slipping so conciously picked it up to go by again. He gave me another shout as I did so, but again I didn't respond feeling I needed all I had left to try make up the lost time from miles 1 & 2. By my watch I was only about seven seconds down on 30 minute pace going past the 3m pole and I wondered if I'd started it at the wrong place at the start. I knew I could definitely make up seven seconds to break 30 and possibly the extra ten to secure the pb.

Mile 4 (6:03)

This is a tough mile. Very monotonous run up & down the avenue with a sharp U-turn to check your momentum. I had been warned about losing concentration here and don't feel that I did, but the U-turn caused me to go from mid 5:50's pace to above 6:00 again. I passed Raycun here and had mostly been passing people for the whole race so far, so I definitely don't feel I let the mind wander. On the watch I'd yet to run a sub six mile, but passing the 4m the display read 24:00 flat. I thought I was still in the game.

Mile 5 (5:45)

Once I hit the final mile I hit the gas with what I had left thinking that once I went under 6:00 for the mile I'd be under 30 and with a bit more effort might even pb. Turning off the avenue the display was showing 5:4x pace, but by the time I got out the gate it was above 6:00 again. I'm always getting dodgy readings for the parkrun in St Anne's too, so maybe it's the tree cover playing havoc with the Garmin. Anyway, I just put everything I had left into the final stretch until I passed under the gantry with 30:15 on the clock. I was sure I hadn't got sixteen seconds in hand from the start, but was surprised how close I actually was to breaking 30 when I checked the results. I had guessed around 30:10.

Official Time: 30:02

Post-Race

Caught up with FBOT01 who ran a savage pb of 29:11, and shortly after with Ferris B who also pb'd in 30:42. Had a quick coffee in the hall where I also bumped into outforarun (also pb'd) & WithCheesePlease. Dubgal72 was arriving in from supporting duty as I was leaving. A huge showing of boardsies at this race as always.

Thoughts

In the immediate aftermath I felt I could have pushed a bit harder, but my HR data suggests I got it fairly spot on as I haven't even averaged that high in some parkruns lately. Any higher is unlikely to be sustainable. I flogged myself to run 30:16 here last year and ran 14 seconds quicker today feeling much stronger and far more comfortable. I was only 11 seconds off my pb and I'm starting to believe it was a far better run than I originally thought. I actually really fancy a pb in the Trim 10m next week as the extra few seconds per mile leeway will make a massive difference to me.

Watch this space! :)

• Advertisement

Buffer Week 1

Monday 30th January
    Rest

Tuesday 31st January
    5m @ 8:46p/m average (121bpm avg)

Just a very easy leg loosener to get me back on the road after Sunday's race.

Wednesday 1st February
    10m @ 7:19p/m average (148bpm)

This was supposed to be an easy run (and it was for a while) but it got pretty tough on the legs in the second half and the HR is a fair few beats higher than it should be for this type of workout. I decided straight afterwards that I'd ease off the pace a bit the following night for fear of wearing myself out ahead of Sunday's 10 miler.

Thursday 2nd February
    10m w/u @ 7:56p/m average (132bpm avg)

Tempo Thursday seems to have become Tornado Thursday. Every week I seem to be heading out into a hurricane! The slower pace helped keep the HR down tonight (still higher than ideal though), but the legs were complaining again, and this time before halfway. Definitely still a bit hungover from Raheny which must have taken more out of me than I originally thought.

Friday 3rd February
    Rest

Supposed to do my final pre-race recovery run ahead of Trim, but I felt so knackered and sorry for myself that I took the day off.

Saturday 4th February
    5m @ 9:22p/m average (117bpm avg)

I had resigned myself to two full days off ahead of Sunday's race because it seemed that was what the body wanted me to do. But I felt a bit more lively this morning and decided to fit this in and get the legs moving again. Felt fine, but at that pace & HR I'd be seriously worried if I didn't.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow. Last week I was buzzing and confident of a pb, but the way the body has felt since then has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat. I'm sure raceday atmosphere etc. will see me perk up a bit and expect to run well whatever the result. I have absolutely no plan for next week and will keep it that way, so that I can allow myself to recover after a hard blowout without any pressure to get out in the following day or two. I may even take the entire week off! The past six days have convinced me to completely forget running Enniscorthy and seriously doubt the thoughts I had in my head about giving the K-Club 10k a bash a fortnight before London. I don't think I've ever taken so long to get over a race. Especially one I felt absolutely fine after at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck tomorrow P

Best of luck tomorrow P, bump into you no doubt at some point, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow P, hope it goes well for you!

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow P
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow P, bump into you no doubt at some point, run well.
    Best of luck tomorrow.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow P, hope it goes well for you!

Thanks all.
    Much appreciated.

Sunday 5th Febuary - Trim 10 Mile
    10m @ 6:12p/m average (163bpm)

Will get this out of the way while it's still fresh in the mind.

Pre-Race

Arose at 9am this morning to witness a cool, crisp morning when I looked out the window. By 12pm we'd have ideal racing conditions. No excuses!
    Drove to Trim and arrived in good time to collect my number and then make the return journey to the car, allowing for a nice little warm-up and some gentle stretching. Saw plenty of familiar faces pre-race and lining up just before the gun.

The Race

Lined up fairly close to the front and within a few minutes of doing so we were off.

Mile 1 (6:04)

As with any race, no matter where you line up you'll encounter some early congestion. I had a bit of an altercation on the very first corner with a guy who felt I was too aggressive in holding my inside line. Considering I had people cutting across the front of me to jump up onto the path, I thought it was fair game. Anyway, I got up to speed fairly quickly and didn't have any crowd trouble after that for the rest of the race.

Mile 2 (6:12)

Once I got up to the effort I felt I could sustain for the entire race, I stopped looking at the watch bar the odd glance to gauge how I was going. I was dictating how fast I'd run by the body's feedback rather than being a slave to the *Garmin (which is far from 100% reliable). It felt about right even though it was a couple of seconds outside my pb pace.

Mile 3 (6:16)

Slower again here, but again it felt about right. I caught up with overpronator somewhere in this mile and we'd stay together for a fair bit of the race after this. He commented that he thought the wind was behind us going out which would mean a tough few miles when we turned back, but I tried not to think about that and just worried about the present. Took up the running for our little group here for a few hundred metres, but was passed again before the 4m mark.

Mile 4 (6:13)

We came down into Dunderry and took a sharp left. Definitely felt the breeze was hurting us a bit now as overpronator had predicted. The race was gradually starting to break up and our little group of 4/5 had separated itself from the runners behind, but also lost touch with anyone ahead. I was ok at this point, but far from comfortable and knew I had to hang on here to avoid becoming isolated for what would be more than half of the race.

Mile 5 (6:22)

From memory this is where the route starts to get slightly undulating, having been relatively flat in the opening four miles. I tried to take my mind off any discomfort I was feeling by focusing on what the split needed to be on pb pace. 30:50 was the number. I wasn't far off (c.30:57) which definitely helped me push on a bit.

Mile 6 (6:16)

With a favourable split at halfway, I was just trying to tick off the miles at the required pace to make the pb more and more likely. But in my mind, I knew the effort required to pick it up a bit would be enough to drain me for the final 3/4 miles and leave me blowing out of my a*se. I'd been there in the Bob Heffernan of 2015, where streams of runners overtook me as I decelerated in the final mile. There is nothing more demoralising in a race knowing you're slowing down rapidly and being able to do absolutely nothing about it. You cannot sustain a venture into the red zone for a long period of time. Mile 6 in a 10 mile race is just too early.

Mile 7 (6:24)

Despite what I've said above, I was desperate to stay in the group to avoid isolation and just focused on doing that even though it was becoming more and more difficult. I tried briefly at the beginning of this mile to do my shift at the front, but as soon as I took it up overpronator and one of the other guys came back alongside me and led again. It was too early to start racing so I let them at it. As with the last mile, the pace had slowed a bit but I think that the hills in these middle miles are to blame for that rather than anything else. From around the middle of this mile myself & overpronator started to pull away from the rest of the group. I don't know if he realised it, but he was towing me along with him. If he hadn't gone, I probably wouldn't have either.

Mile 8 (6:19)

I was in op's slipstream for a while here, just the two of us now gradually making up some ground on those ahead. I pulled out alongside him, more because I felt guilty drafting off him than any demonstration of strength. We took a turn late in this mile and I was able to suddenly pick it up a touch. Knowing we were now homeward bound gave me something of a second wind and my pace started to quicken a fair bit.

Mile 9 (6:09)

I had edged ever so slightly ahead of op now and thought we'd have a fair auld battle amongst ourselves between here and the line. I hadn't been clock watching at all during the race and with nobody now leading the group I needed something else to focus on, rather than constantly checking the Garmin. Having briefly spoken to BeepBeep67 at the start, I was aware of what he was wearing and was able to pick him out from behind despite being a good bit back. I made it my mission to catch him. It was the only thing I could think of to keep me from obsessing with the watch. Even if I didn't succeed, it would be a welcome distraction. Right as we passed the 9m pole I struggled by him.

Mile 10 (5:48)

From here to the finish I kept my mind busy by trying to latch onto a Mullingar Harriers runner who was miles ahead of me, while also ensuring neither of the lads from behind got back by me. The paranoia of thinking someone might nab you close to the line is an amazing driver to kick on. I made some ground on the guy in front, but was never going to catch him. The distraction did it's job though and I finished pretty strongly.

Official Time: 62:01

Post-Race

Had to sit down for a couple of minutes after this. Really gave myself a good blowout today. Perfect conditions and absolutely no excuses. That's as fast as I can run ten miles at the moment. A little annoying that I missed out on the sub 62, but I've run 61:39 before and I wasn't near that so I'm not too bothered.

*I'm starting to trust my Garmin less and less. Almost all parkruns I do measure short and now two pretty well regarded races (Raheny 5m & Trim 10m) have measured short too. For what it's worth, I don't doubt the distance of either. The current watch seems to get thrown off pretty easily once there's any tree cover whatsoever. The old FR210 I had could take a while to locate satellites, but was generally pretty reliable when it did. This one is instant, but even on training runs has shown me to be travelling at ridiculous extremes of pace (2:00min/mile - 25:00min/mile), when I can tell myself it's between 8-9:00 pace. Use it as a guide. Nothing more, nothing less. The last miles from this week & last week look pretty fast, but in reality they were probably a few seconds slower with some of the others earlier in the race slightly faster*

Thoughts

I thought I had a fair chance of running my first pb in almost two years this morning. I feel like I gave it every chance and only came up 23 seconds short in the end. I was 12 seconds off my 5m pb last week, which makes both runs look pretty consistent. According to McMillan & VDot, today's race was a better performance than Raheny. That augurs well for the marathon and I've still got 11 weeks until race day. Happy enough with my day's work and looking forward to getting stuck back into the plan. Hopefully the Ballycotton result in 5 weeks will represent further progress and give me a fair idea about what time to target in London.
    After today, I may have a partner to run with there, if he's still talking to me :D

Good to see the focus & drive back P, great stuff today and more improvement to come in Ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

That's a great performance - well done. Great to see the mojo back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Two great race perfromances there P. Well done. You're defintely back in the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great run, well done. Good to catch up with you after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done P, great racing!

Thanks everyone.
    Can't multiquote on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great run P, particularly the last two miles.

Buffer Week 2

Monday 6th Febuary
    Rest

Tuesday 7th February
    Rest

Wednesday 8th February
    5m @ 8:51p/m average (116bpm)

Thursday 9th February
    7m @ 8:30p/m average (125bpm avg)

Friday 10th February
    Rest

Saturday 11th February
    Rest

Sunday 12th February
    Rest

Very little to report this week. But that was the plan. Back to normal tomorrow.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Buffer Week 2

Monday 6th Febuary
    Rest

Tuesday 7th February
    Rest

Friday 10th February
    Rest

Saturday 11th February
    Rest

Sunday 12th February
    Rest

Very little to report this week. But that was the plan. Back to normal tomorrow.

We'll finally be able to compare notes now that you're back on track.

And you'll be well rested.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    We'll finally be able to compare notes now that you're back on track.

And you'll be well rested.;)

And your targets are starting to align too;)

London Marathon - Week 9/18

So glad to finally get this week out of the way. It's been a tough one!

Monday 13th February
    8m @ 7:17p/m average (151bpm avg)

Decided to go with the 'B' easy pace since I'd been off for a week, expecting to feel refreshed and full of life. Unfortunately the opposite was the case and I felt heavy legged and fairly unfit. Despite not monitoring the live HR, I could feel myself the effort was too much for the type of run I was doing and I should have eased back after the first mile. Unfortunately I was too stupid & stubborn to do that and saw out the rest of the workout at the same pace. I felt I'd probably regret it on Tuesday when I needed to be in good order to do the intervals.

Tuesday 14th February
    2.5k w/u @ 8:08p/m average (129bpm avg)
    6 x 800m @ 5:55p/m average with 400m recoveries (161bpm)
    2.5k c/d @ 8:05p/m average (144bpm avg)

Was absolutely dreading this after Monday's horror show, but ended up overestimating its difficulty so much that I was pleasantly surprised to find it a little bit easier than expected. Solid splits (2:55, 2:57, 2:58, 2:57, 2:55, 2:56) for each rep left me far happier after this session than 24 hours earlier.

Wednesday 15th February
    Rest

Thursday 16th February
    2m w/u @ 7:38p/m average (140bpm avg)
    8m @ 6:33p/m average (164bpm avg)
    2m c/d @ 7:51p/m average (150bpm)

I knew this wouldn't be easy, but considering I found an almost identical session a doddle three weeks ago, I wasn't exactly expecting it to give me too many problems. Pace was at it should be, but the HR was 9bpm higher than last time. A real struggle, but delighted to have it out of the way on target. Spotted overpronator and Sean Hehir within 20 yards of each other on the Furze Road towards the end of this. Must be training together now :)

Friday 17th February
    7m @ 7:57p/m average (134bpm avg)

I did the same run three weeks ago at the exact same pace (to the second) with an average HR of 125bpm. Enough said.

Saturday 18th February
    8m @ 7:20p/m average (143bpm avg)

Was rushing to get this in before it got dark, so went out on an almost full stomach after my dinner. That really didn't help, but on the positive side the HR has dropped 8bpm from the same run on Monday. Progress!

Sunday 19th February
    15m @ 7:00p/m average (152bpm avg)

Yet again, found this more difficult than I should have. Twice in the past six weeks I've completed similar runs at the same pace with the average HR at 145bpm. Both of those came after heavy enough nights on the beer. I wasn't out last night, didn't drink and actually went to bed early!
    It's not too far above the previous efforts, but frustrating nonetheless.

If I was to mark myself on this week's training, I'd get an A+ for following the plan and sticking to the pace parameters & a big fat F for listening to the body and adapting accordingly. I don't know what's wrong with me the last seven days. Thought I'd be raring to go after a bit of a rest, but in truth it's been a complete struggle. The last time I went backwards so much in such a short space of time was the week after Christmas where I had also just taken a week off. Maybe there's something in that? :rolleyes:
    Luckily, I have no more leeway for recovery weeks. In my case, that seems like it can only be a good thing.

London Marathon - Week 10/18

Monday 20th February
    6m @ 7:51p/m average (129bpm avg)

Handy run, just ensuring to keep HR below 130bpm average.

Tuesday 21st February
    2.5k w/u @ 8:14p/m average (132bpm avg)
    3 x 1600m @ 5:58p/m average with 600m recoveries (161bpm)
    2.5k c/d @ 8:26p/m average (148bpm avg)

Horrible night for this. Happy enough to just keep the three reps sub 6:00 and get this final speed session over with. Would have managed it too, except the traffic lights went against me on the first one and I had to slow down and take a sharp turn which saw a 6:xx rep. Other than that, all was as planned and happy to get back in out of the cold & wet when this was done.

Wednesday 22nd February
    Rest

Thursday 23rd February
    2m w/u @ 7:44p/m average (131bpm avg)
    8m @ 6:32p/m average (161bpm avg)
    2m c/d @ 7:28p/m average (148bpm)

Storm Doris had as good as gone by the time I got out. There was a little bit of breeze out and it was icy cold, but perfect for a run once you got going. Even so, I wouldn't say I was relishing this as I headed out the door. However, once I got going in the MP miles I actually found it fairly comfortable. I was speeding up slightly towards the end and felt as strong as an ox in the last mile compared to some other occasions where I've just been dying for it to end. Really pleased with that.

Friday 24th February
    6m @ 8:08p/m average (129bpm avg)

First run home from work with the new backpack. I'll be doing this at least twice a week from now on. I find carrying anything while running a complete pain in the a*se, but I managed to beat the time I took to get home on the bus the previous night by 30 minutes, so I suppose it's a sacrifice worth making.

Saturday 25th February
    7.5m @ 8:55p/m average (126bpm avg)
    3.11m @ 6:28p/m average (160bpm)

Met up with FBOT & Ferris pre-parkrun to get most of this boxed off by 9:30. Handy hour or so of running & chatting before we got stuck into our pacing duties. I had signed up for 20 minutes which wasn't a problem, but is definitely faster & takes more effort than I should really be putting in on an 'easy' day. Got the job done in 19:52 which I'm happy enough with, as I've found St Anne's really difficult to pace since the course changed with the watch completely losing signal after about 1500m. I know where the kilometre markers are though, so was fairly sure of my splits and managed to haul a few over the line just below the magic number.

Sunday 26th February
    10m @ 8:00p/m average (133bpm avg)

This was a very pleasant Sunday afternoon jog until about halfway in, when I got absolutely hammered by freezing cold sheets of rain being propelled by gale force winds. Cleared up pretty quickly, but I was completely soaked to the skin and a bit chilly for the rest of the run.

Another week ticked off, almost on target. Bar the parkrun pacing, I stuck pretty stringently to the plan. Highlight of the week was Thursday's MP session. Best I've felt on a run for a long time. I can definitely see the Hanson philosophy regarding training for the last sixteen miles of the marathon. I'm going into a lot of these runs feeling fairly weary which should only be of benefit going forward. Tasty looking week ahead with 6x1m strength session on Tuesday, 8m at MP on Thursday & a fairly pacey 16m long run to round off the week on Sunday.

London Marathon - Week 11/18

Monday 27th February
    8.2m @ 8:08p/m average (128bpm avg)

Took a slightly different route home to try make up the full eight miles and ended up adding a bit too much. Came through the PP and up the newly tarmacked Khyber which is a big improvement on the surface that was there beforehand. 8:08p/m seems to be the default BP (Backpack Pace).

Tuesday 28th February
    2m w/u @ 7:58p/m average (131bpm avg)
    6 x 1m @ 6:18p/m average with 400m recoveries (158bpm)
    2m c/d @ 7:55p/m average (132bpm avg)

This was very easy. Didn't feel like I was putting in much effort at all if I'm honest. Surprised myself.

Wednesday 1st March
    Rest

Thursday 2nd March
    2m w/u @ 7:58p/m average (134bpm avg)
    8m @ 6:31p/m average (161bpm avg)
    2m c/d @ 7:56p/m average (142bpm)

Having breezed through Tuesday's session, I wasn't too worried about this one. I wasn't naive enough to think it would be easy, but expected it to be comfortable enough. I was wrong! I found it very, very difficult. Total contrast to my most previous run. This plan really tests you. Constantly digging into your reserves to see what you come up with. As painful as it can be at times, I really do like it. Suffice to say though, I wasn't looking forward to Sunday's 16 miler after this!

*I'm beginning to have a theory about my own running. It seems when I put in what seems like a good solid performance (training or racing), that no matter how effortless it may seem at the time, it actually takes a hell of a lot out of me. Raheny is another recent example. Anyway, if I can be guaranteed a nice comfortable run in London achieving the sort of time I want, I'll take being shattered for the following fortnight biggrin.png.

Friday 3rd March
    7m @ 8:06p/m average (129bpm avg)

Another easy runmute. BP has increased by two seconds :).

Saturday 4th March
    8m @ 8:02p/m average (134bpm avg)

This wasn't very pleasant. Woke up feeling a bit under the weather and decided to just get this out of the way asap. Was a bit of a drag if I'm honest and the long run was becoming even less appealing than it had been on Thursday night.

Sunday 5th March
    16m @ 7:05p/m average (147bpm avg)

Woke up this morning absolutely dying with a headcold that I seem to have picked up off someone during the week. The symptoms started on Friday evening, but by this morning I had full blown runny nose and streaming eyes. Really wanted to get this done though, and was prepared to drop the pace if necessary to ensure I completed the allocated mileage for the week. The past seven days is almost as tough as it gets in the plan and I felt it would be a nice mental boost for similar weeks in the near future if I boxed this off on target. In the end, it wasn't bad at all. Icy breeze blowing in parts which affected the pace on a few miles, but fairly consistent and the runny nose and streaming eyes were more of a nuisance than anything else. HR looks about right for the pace so seems like I made the right decision to go out in the end.

A tough week, but a very good one. Delighted to have that under the belt and a little proud of myself too. It would have been easy to stay in bed all weekend in the circumstances. I was too stubborn to do that and knew I'd regret it if I did. My mood is also far better than it would have been had I done so. There's a couple more very similar weeks ahead in the plan and although they'll be difficult, I know I'm ready for them.
    Next week sees a little bit of switching around. I'm going to call Ballycotton a glorified tempo session, meaning Tempo Thursday will now just contain an easy ten miles. This leaves Tuesday being the only fast work I'll do before Sunday, so should give me every chance of running a good time in Cork. What that will be, I really have no idea. If you asked me last Tuesday, I'd have confidently predicted a pb (<61:39), but two days later I wouldn't have backed myself to beat last year's 63:59. I'm just going to try my best and not bother trying to guess what that will be. Seems like the best policy.

London Marathon - Week 12/18

Stuck as closely as possible to the original plan this week. Made some minor changes to suit Ballycotton. Swapped that for Thursday's session and moved everything else forward a day so I could take my rest day on Saturday. That meant running nine days in a row. Hoping it works out ok!

Monday 6th March
    6.3m @ 8:18p/m average (122bpm avg)

Woke up in even worse shape than the previous three days. Struggled my way through the day and was very cautious with the effort when I got out for this. HR & BP lower and slower than normal. What I found really bizarre about this run was the fact that I've just come off my highest week's mileage and felt like ****e due to a bad headcold, but my legs were 100%. No tiredness, DOMS or residual soreness. Nothing!

Tuesday 7th March
    1.5m w/u @ 8:02p/m average (126bpm avg)
    4 x 1.5m @ 6:16p/m average with 800m recoveries (158bpm)
    1.5m c/d @ 8:22p/m average (132bpm avg)

Tough but manageable on a horrible night in the Capital. Running around the PP in the pissing rain and pitch dark with a dodgy headtorch. What am I like?

Wednesday 8th March
    6m @ 8:27p/m average (123bpm)

I don't normally run on Wednesday's, so treated this like a recovery run. Very easy effort. Legs a bit tired.

Thursday 9th March
    10m @ 8:09p/m average (127bpm avg)

Took this pretty easy too. Felt fine aerobically, but legs were really tired from before halfway. Got it done though.

Friday 10th March
    10m @ 8:06p/m average (127bpm avg)

Same HR as yesterday, but pace slightly quicker. Legs were tired again but improved in the last 24 hours.

So I finally get my rest day tomorrow. My legs have become accustomed to being off on Wednesday's and have been reminding me of that the last few nights. I think I got away with it. Will do some foam rolling between now and race time. Hoping to put up a good show on Sunday, but under no illusions about how difficult next week's training will be. If I run a pb, celebrations may have to be put on hold until April 23rd.

Best of luck tomorrow P, have a great race.

Official time of 62:38 for me.
    Very happy with the run. Very strong throughout and nine of the ten miles went to plan. However, I lost 30-40secs in the first mile due to congestion, mainly because I showed up too late which was my own fault. I think if I'd avoided that, I'd have beaten the Trim time.

Oh well.
    On to London.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Official time of 62:38 for me.
    Very happy with the run. Very strong throughout and nine of the ten miles went to plan. However, I lost 30-40secs in the first mile due to congestion, mainly because I showed up too late which was my own fault. I think if I'd avoided that, I'd have beaten the Trim time.

Oh well.
    On to London.......

We thought you were one of the elites going to join at the front as we saw you running up towards the start :p

Well done, you looked very much in control with 900m to go.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    We thought you were one of the elites going to join at the front as we saw you running up towards the start :p

Well done, you looked very much in control with 900m to go.

My fastest section of the race (uphill!)

Sunday 12th March - Ballycotton 10'
    10m @ 6:16p/m average (163bpm)

A solid effort.
    Plenty to be happy with, but also the annoyance of knowing I could have done better.

Pre-Race

Was staying in Killeagh with three other Ballycotton participants. It's not far away. We left at 12pm and were in Garryvoe before 12:30. It seemed we got the very last shuttle bus though and even moving towards the start with half an hour to spare, I knew I'd probably struggle to get close enough to the front of the field to be in the 'right' position. That proved to be the case, when after spending fifteen minutes of squeezing through, I'd only barely managed to get in line with the 'Under 65 minutes' sign. Spotted adrian522 as I got ready to race and we exchanged good wishes, before I settled in behind my old sparring partner paddybarry. Quick hello to him too and we were off soon after that.

The Race

In theory, lining up at the 'Under 65 minutes' sign should see my first mile no slower than 6:30 right? We all know that's not really the case, especially in a race with a start as narrow as Ballycotton.

Mile 1 (6:34)

Boxed in. I could go nowhere. Just ran at whatever pace the field was moving and didn't bother looking at my watch as I could do nothing about the pace. There was nowhere to go. I sat and suffered going downhill in what probably should be the fastest mile of the race. It ended up being my slowest. I believe I lost at least 30 seconds. I decided to just run the rest of the race as planned and not let it upset me. If I tried to start clawing it back by pushing too early, I could blow up before the end and ruin my entire race. This way I'd only lose 30-40 seconds and I could justify that to myself at the end. Detonating in mile 7 chasing lost time would be much harder to take. Decision made.

Mile 2 (6:15)

Around halfway through this mile, you take the first obvious turn right and the road opens up a bit. Now was my chance to get back on track. I eased the effort up a notch and immediately started overtaking people. Wasn't paying much attention to the watch, but automatically felt when I was at the correct effort and focused on maintaining it. Pleased to see 6:15 flash up. That seemed about right.

Mile 3 (6:14)

Field was starting to thin out a little bit now. Never spotted Murph_D, even though I know he started up beside Mick Clohisey :pac:. Up ahead I could now see Ferris B & paddybarry. I gradually reeled Ferris in and grunted that I'd been "held up at the start" as I passed. He informed me afterwards that he thought I'd said "I really have to fart". This caused him to laugh, which led to his stitch that cost him sub 64 (or so we're to believe :D). I then moved past paddybarry. I was going to mutter something to him too about pushing on, but I was gasping a bit and decided against it. I expected him to sit on my shoulder anyway, as he said he was going to pace off me before the race.

Mile 4-6 (6:16, 6:18, 6:17)

From what I remember, these three miles were the toughest of the race. We seemed to be running straight into whatever wind was blowing during this section. I just about held the same pace, but it definitely felt more difficult. There were lots of spectators in different spots along here, making plenty of noise and offering great support. My own crew gave me a real boost at the four mile marker with a brilliant shout out. In general though, I thought the crowd were fantastic. I remember thinking the atmosphere out on the route was the closest I've come to a big city marathon in a road race of a different distance. Out in the middle of the countryside we were treated to huge encouragement from large pockets of people, who picked out names & club singlets and roared them on enthusiastically. Far from partisan either. Whether it was Dublin, Derry, Galway or Cork, they all got the same treatment. Super stuff!

Mile 7 (6:11)

We must have turned out of the wind here, as my pace started to pick up at the same effort. I still felt ok, but was starting to pass more and more people. From knowing the course, I also knew I was now heading in the right direction. That always helps me pick up the pace, no matter what the conditions.

Mile 8 (6:11)

My crew had managed to get themselves to the turn just before the 8m marker and gave me another massive shout out. A realisation that I was still in good shape and had less than twenty minutes of running left helped to produce a little injection of pace. I was passing a lot of people now, which only helped me keep up the pace. I started to look forward to the final hill, knowing I could pass even more. I can't remember how long it's been since I enjoyed the final stages of a race so much.

Mile 9 (6:16)

This mile is a little bit lumpy. I didn't feel like I dropped effort or pace, but the clock says otherwise. I think momentum suffers a bit here as you're going up and down little rises and falls which makes it harder to find a rhythm. I ploughed on while passing a few more and eyeing the final left turn, knowing that I only had a straight 1.5m run home from there. A group of 5/6 with a Mallow AC female were just ahead of me. All I was thinking turning the corner was there was no way anyone in that group was finishing ahead of me. It just wasn't happening.

Mile 10 (6:06)

My fastest mile of the race. My slowest came in reverse back down the hill. If I can run 6:06 up a hill after nine fastish miles, I think I could have at least matched it in mile one in reverse coming down. Anyway......

I started to pass a few in the little group I mentioned. After I got by them all, one guy in a blue shirt came back by me. This guy and me had been exchanging places since early in the race. Other than that, I wasn't passed by anyone. I wasn't going to let him win our personal battle that easy. "Go ahead" I said, "but you'd want to take a fair auld lead if you don't to be overtaken again. When I empty this tank, I'm taking everyone within 100 yards". Obviously these words all took place in my head and the guy in blue probably wasn't even aware of our personal duel. I'm going to pretend he was though :pac:. I held pace passing through the town, getting another great shout out from annapr & co. half a mile from home. Then as we reached the 300m metre mark, I hit the gas. I think I made up another 6/7 places. Flew over the line. The boy in blue didn't stand a chance. Or the other few ahead of him :). I had 5:58 on the Garmin for the last mile, but it measured 10.03, so I guess I'll have to add that 8 seconds too. Still happy with that though, in what is a pretty tough closing mile.

Garmin trace here.

Official Time: 62:38

Post-Race

Hung around for Ferris B to see how he'd got on and gave paddybarry a wave before we left the finish area. He was obviously lurking on my shoulder as promised :). Quick catch up with Murph_D & adrian522 too and I was off back to my lodgings. Big feed, then the long drive back to the Capital. Legs fine. Everything fine in fact. This week's training will be tough, but I'm not dreading it as much as I expected to.

Thoughts

I think I ran better today than I ran in Trim. Without the self-inflicted slow first mile, I think I may have gone sub 62. If not, I'd have been very close and although today offered pretty good conditions, Trim was even more ideal. The main thing though, was the difference in effort. I was flat out in Trim all the way. I didn't ever feel like that today. That's progress to me. I'm looking forward to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice one. Bodes well for London now. Have u settled on a goal time?

Nice one. Bodes well for London now. Have u settled on a goal time?

At the moment I think I'll head out around 2:55 pace as we discussed. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up off that later in the race and run somewhere in the low 2:50's. I don't think I'm in sub 2:50 shape, so I can't justify going for that.

How did you get on in Bohermeen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

At the moment I think I'll head out around 2:55 pace as we discussed. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up off that later in the race and run somewhere in the low 2:50's. I don't think I'm in sub 2:50 shape, so I can't justify going for that.

How did you get on in Bohermeen?

Good stuff, solid plan.

Didnt race Bohermeen flat out in the end, was sick all week and barely ran and was afraid of it dragging into this week, these next weeks are so important i held back on racing it.

Felt ok on Sunday morning so said id try to get a good session out of it, ran a comfortable 1.24.24, prob 2-3 mins slower than where i would hope to be racing flat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

My fastest section of the race (uphill!)

I believe you did mention that... once... or twice... :p

Enjoyed that report, very funny :D. And good running too of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Sorry we didn't get to see you yest P well done can't believe that uphill mile was your fastest will have to get some tips on hill running from you !

Nice running P, as others said, last mile being the fastest can only bode well.

Might be an idea to toe the line up for London on the Saturday...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Might be an idea to toe the line up for London on the Saturday...;)

Nah. That strategy doesn't work. :p

Great running P, all looking good for London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good report as always, P and a very solid performance. Great platform being built for London.

London Marathon - Week 13/18

This is probably the second toughest week on the plan. However, coming off the Ballycotton race and trying to work around a sh*tload of personal circumstances meant it was likely to be my most challenging. That's not even taking Cheltenham into consideration!

Monday 13th March
    8m @ 8:16p/m average (128bpm avg)

Had the company of Ferris B for this one. Nice & easy, but the legs were starting to remind me they'd had a race yesterday towards the end.

Tuesday 14th March
    1.5m w/u @ 8:03p/m average (123bpm avg)
    3 x 2m @ 6:17p/m average with 800m recoveries (157bpm)
    1.5m c/d @ 7:59p/m average (137bpm avg)

Had been expecting this to be really difficult just over 48 hours after Ballycotton and was prepared to ease off the pace a little bit if necessary. In the end though, the effort was lower than last week's session and the splits were perfect. Lovely jublee!

Wednesday 15th March
    Rest

Thursday 16th March
    1.5m w/u @ 8:08p/m average (125bpm avg)
    9m @ 6:29p/m average (155bpm)
    2m c/d @ 7:36p/m average (146bpm avg)

Like Tuesday, I was happy to allow a slightly slower pace than normal if required. Again tonight though, my HR was lower than previous MP efforts and the pace was sub 6:30 for the first time in a while. Buzzing after this! So much so that I missed a turn back for home that added an extra half mile onto my cooldown.

Friday 17th March
    7m @ 8:10p/m average (126bpm avg)

Took it really easy, but it was more difficult than it should have been. Saw Micky D being escorted back home from the parade. Horrible day.

Saturday 18th March
    8m @ 8:28p/m average (127bpm avg)

Had to get out early enough for this as had other stuff on later in the day. Bit of a struggle in more ****ty weather. Gave every runner a cheery "Morning" as I passed, one of which was Tigerandahalf (I think). He was one of the very few positive responses I got.

Sunday 19th March
    16m @ 7:02p/m average (140bpm avg)

With my schedule this week, this was always going to be a late night job. There was no way I wasn't getting it done though, no matter what. Getting through this week on target was a big deal for me, especially after hitting the more challenging paces earlier in the week. So, after almost four hours in the car, I headed out and got it done. Felt like sh*t, so surprised the HR was so low.

Very happy to get that week out of the way on target. Krusty replied to a comment I made on his log about eliminating the stupidity in his build up to the marathon, as he felt that's what cost him last year. Even after reading that, I was guilty of some major stupidity myself this week. I'm counting myself lucky not to have done more damage. I got up at 6:30am on Friday morning to play golf, depriving myself of much needed sleep and proceeding to be frozen & soaked in the next four hours having stupidly trusted an Irish weather forecast. At 12pm, I felt like I had pleurisy. I still do (a little bit). Having felt invincible on Thursday night, it seems I did my best to do myself some damage to make life difficult when everything was going so well. What I had written off as run of the mill jogs on Friday & Saturday turned out to be my toughest runs of the whole week, while Sunday wasn't hard, but it should have been a piece of cake judging off the two sessions I'd completed on Tuesday & Thursday. I've learned my lesson. Stay healthy, or more accurately, don't actively contribute to being unhealthy! :rolleyes:

By the way, what happened to Spring? It was in Ballycotton last Sunday, but seems to have disappeared again.........

London Marathon - Week 14/18

The supposedly 'easy' week (sandwiched in between the two with the highest mileage on the plan) was anything but that!

Monday 20th March
    6m @ 8:18p/m average (121bpm avg)

Runmute with the backpack. Nothing eventful to report.

Tuesday 21st March
    1.5m w/u @ 7:59p/m average (126bpm avg)
    2 x 3m @ 6:16p/m average with 1m recoveries (158bpm)
    1.5m c/d @ 8:19p/m average (129bpm avg)

I wasn't really relishing this one, but I made it easier in my head by spiltting it into 2 x 5k pacing gigs (20mins). Obviously it was very slightly faster than that and a bit less than 5k, but it worked.

Wednesday 22nd March
    Rest

Thursday 23rd March
    2m w/u @ 8:18p/m average (125bpm avg)
    9m @ 6:31p/m average (156bpm)
    2m c/d @ 8:15p/m average (134bpm avg)

Still far from 100%, but convinced myself that once I got this over with I wouldn't have to run any way 'fast' until next Tuesday. Job done.
    I was thinking to myself afterwards that I'm regularly knocking out 1:30ish half-marathons on a weekly basis, with almost 33% of those miles being w/u & c/d. That can't be a bad thing and definitely something to boost the confidence a bit when you're not feeling as good as you might be.

Friday 24th March
    6m @ 8:00p/m average (118bpm avg)

Surprised at the pace & HR here. Felt like I was really shuffling along and working harder than the stats say I was.

Saturday 25th March
    10m @ 8:05p/m average (123bpm avg)

Spent a very enjoyable morning in Arklow Golf Club. Fantastic weather on a fantastic golf course. Fit this in afterwards during the evening sunshine. Was completely wiped out by the end of the day though.

Sunday 26th March
    10m @ 8:12p/m average (128bpm avg)

Early afternoon on another lovely day for this. Bit more of a gust blowing out there, which probably accounts for the slightly slower pace and higher HR compared to yesterday.

Very big week coming up. I'm hoping I've looked after myself enough to get through it ok. I probably took it a bit too easy on the non-session runs this week, but was conscious of pushing too hard considering how awful I've been feeling since St Patrick's Day. Just a sore throat lingering now which I'm hoping to be rid of asap.

London Marathon - Week 15/18

The highest mileage week on the plan. Was expecting a difficult week and I wasn't disappointed.

Monday 27th March
    8m @ 8:03p/m average (125bpm avg)

Runmute with the backpack. Felt fine aerobically, but the legs were a bit wooden.

Tuesday 28th March
    2m w/u @ 8:04p/m average (125bpm avg)
    3 x 2m @ 6:18p/m average with 800m recoveries (157bpm)
    2m c/d @ 7:57p/m average (136bpm avg)

I find this session tougher than the 2x3m I had a week ago. Probably because there's only half the recoveries and there's an extra rep (despite the same total distance at prescribed pace). Could be just mental though. Managed it ok in the end.

Wednesday 29th March
    Rest

Thursday 30th March
    2m w/u @ 7:59p/m average (124bpm avg)
    10m @ 6:30p/m average (158bpm)
    2m c/d @ 7:58p/m average (148bpm avg)

Despite the stats making it look otherwise, I found this very difficult. Three things I've confirmed from this run are:

1. - 6:30 will not be my MP.
    2. - I need to do some core work.
    3. - I need a pre-London rub down.

1. - There's no way I can hold 6:30 pace for 26.22m at the moment. But that's ok as I already conceded that a few weeks ago. This session just confirmed it for me and ensured I don't do anything stupid like going out at that pace in three weeks.

2. - I have done a grand total of zero core work in this training cycle. I know it's beneficial and have been religious about getting routines in at least once a week in previous successful marathon cycles. However, I just hate doing it and have avoided for that reason in the hope that the miles will be enough to get the job done. I'll do a bit over the next few weeks, not that it will make a huge difference at this stage.

3. - My legs have started to feel a little weary lately. I meant to organise a sports massage the day after Ballycotton, but it never materialised. I decided to get this difficult week over with on the tired auld planks before giving them what they're craving in the near future. I think that should hopefully leave me feeling somewhat refreshed going into the race.

Back to the run. I was pretty tired when I got in after this. Five days before my next day off :eek:

Friday 31st March
    7m @ 8:10p/m average (120bpm avg)

Got this over with by 8:30am with my first run-mute into work. As luck would have it, because of this I was completely unaffected by the bus & rail carnage. I was actually the only person who turned up on time :pac:. Complete fluke. So easily could have been left fuming standing at a bus stop or platform. Lovely morning and took it very handy less than 12 hours after last night's MP session.

Saturday 1st April
    8m @ 7:51p/m average (130bpm avg)

Got out early enough for this one on another beautiful morning. Glad I did as the rest of the day wasn't too friendly weather wise.

Sunday 2nd April
    16m @ 6:57p/m average (149bpm avg)

Had always planned to leave this a bit later in the afternoon/evening to give me a big enough gap from the previous day's run. Ended up having a few beers last night for the first (and last) time in a while. Probably didn't help the HR levels, but it wasn't too much different to my most recent runs of similar distance. Nice to get it ticked off comfortably under target pace.

A pretty testing seven days as anticipated. Not much respite coming up either, as apart from the lack of a 'long' run next week, it's just as challenging. There's two more MP sessions of 10m right up to ten days before the race and the Tuesday strength workouts continue until then too, so a little over a week of a taper. No time for any madness! I don't think I'll be suffering from any this time anyway. As bizarre as it sounds, I actually don't feel that fit. I've been hitting sessions comfortably enough on target, but I haven't got that feeling that I'm raring to go or holding myself back from going faster. Feel a bit undertrained if anything. Maybe that will change closer to the race. If it doesn't, I'll just remind myself that it's better than being overtrained or injured :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

really enjoying this journey and loving the honesty in the updates.

I've started to view the whole thing as a multi year process, this training cycle is a build up to the next one and then the next one. We'll never stop til we continue to slow down.

If 6:30 isn't your MP this year - it could be next year. Next year you'll look back on the groundwork done this year.

Super training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

P

Just to be 100% you are not selling yourself short with the 6:30 MP.

Could you have kept that pace for another 3-4 miles on Thursday ? Remember this was done on your biggest mileage week so its not the same as doing 10 mile MP on fresh legs, the accumulated fatigue make it more like the last 10 miles

You have admitted that the legs are heavy/in need of a rub combine this with the taper they should have more bounce/freshness on the day

Again you are experienced enough to make the correct choice but maybe leave it till the week of the race before making a final decision on MP on the day.

ger664 wrote: »
    P

Just to be 100% you are not selling yourself short with the 6:30 MP.

Could you have kept that pace for another 3-4 miles on Thursday ? Remember this was done on your biggest mileage week so its not the same as doing 10 mile MP on fresh legs, the accumulated fatigue make it more like the last 10 miles

You have admitted that the legs are heavy/in need of a rub combine this with the taper they should have more bounce/freshness on the day

Again you are experienced enough to make the correct choice but maybe leave it till the week of the race before making a final decision on MP on the day.

Hi Ger.

What you're insinuating is exactly the philosophy of the authors. They feel that other plans focus far too much on the weekly long run and the hallowed distance of 20 miles (or more). Their attitude is to load the week evenly with tough workouts, so that you're almost always running on tired legs and that the long run (and probably the MP sessions too) feel like the final miles of a marathon rather than the the early ones. The long runs in this plan are generally 25-30% of the total weekly mileage and always coming off two tough sessions in the previous five days. You don't get a 'taper' ahead of them as you do in some other plans. They don't feel a run of further than 16m is necessary as you'll spend too much time on your feet and need more time to recover from that, which in turn will affect your training for the following week. My longest run timewise has been about 1:53/54. This doesn't worry me at all. Seems to worry anyone else I tell about it though. Anyway, I guess we'll find out who's right in three weeks. The Hansons or the rest :D

You could be right about the 6:30 MP, but I'm happy enough to realise that halfway into the race and pick it up. Boston & New York are the two worst races I've ever run at any distance in my life (Boston especially by a long way). The funny thing is the exact same thing caused both horrific experiences. I went out at too fast a pace for my fitness level at the time and paid for it (still paying interest on Boston :rolleyes:). I am adamant I am never going to repeat them again (especially Boston). New York was unpleasant, but was a far more gradual slowdown. Boston was hell. I think it's the worst I've ever felt physically after a race too. I was in a bad way for a while afterwards. I was done after 7 miles there. It's a long way home when you've nothing left with almost 20 miles to cover. Even though I've been in plenty of pain in many races, I still enjoyed them at some stage during and reflecting on them after. Not so those two. I'm ashamed of both of them (especially Boston). And I can't blame anything bar my own stupidity.

For London, I have three main goals:

1. - Run a significant pb (5mins+)
    2. - Run a negative split (have still yet to manage it, even pacing DCM :pac:)
    3. - Mile 1 to be my slowest of the race. Mile 26 to be my fastest.

If I achieve those three goals, I will be over the moon. Going out at 6:30 and blowing up doesn't interest me. 6:30 per mile for the distance still wouldn't get me under 2:50, so I'm happy enough to be more conservative starting off. If I feel really good, who knows? I may pick it up and get close to that number, but I'd much rather be chasing that down at the end than clinging onto 2:52 or so and going backwards. My last two raced marathons have featured bigger detonations than Hiroshima and I don't think anyone wants another one of them. I achieved goals 2 & 3 in Ballycotton and felt a million dollars climbing the hill in the last mile. That's the feeling I want going by Big Ben.

As a fellow Hanson programmed, London bound runner I am in the same boat as yourself re wondering about the race pace . Like you, I was fairly wrecked after last thursdays 10m @ MP session. The thoughts of completing another 16 miles at the same pace scared the hell out of me, and still does! I found a straw to clutch at though, there's a line in the book which says 'the taper can elicit improvements of up to 3%'. That's 5 mins for you. Worth considering.

I'm not sure if your comment re the first mile (which is downhill) is really you saying 'it'll be my slowest mile' as opposed to 'I'm not going to get carried away' . If you just want a PB fine, but if your looking to race your fastest possible time based on the course profile I suggest the first couple of miles will probably be at target race pace or a little under.

You probably have read the statistical report from Barry Smyth ( mentioned in london thread) which suggests for a PB the london route should be run with a positive split, I think about 5%. I personally don't like that idea from a mental approach but maybe it's the way to go. Perhaps others around here who achieved a PB in London might have an opinion as to whether the course is really suited to negative, even or positive splits when going all out.

As a fellow Hanson programmed, London bound runner I am in the same boat as yourself re wondering about the race pace . Like you, I was fairly wrecked after last thursdays 10m @ MP session. The thoughts of completing another 16 miles at the same pace scared the hell out of me, and still does! I found a straw to clutch at though, there's a line in the book which says 'the taper can elicit improvements of up to 3%'. That's 5 mins for you. Worth considering.

I'm not sure if your comment re the first mile (which is downhill) is really you saying 'it'll be my slowest mile' as opposed to 'I'm not going to get carried away' . If you just want a PB fine, but if your looking to race your fastest possible time based on the course profile I suggest the first couple of miles will probably be at target race pace or a little under.

You probably have read the statistical report from Barry Smyth ( mentioned in london thread) which suggests for a PB the london route should be run with a positive split, I think about 5%. I personally don't like that idea from a mental approach but maybe it's the way to go. Perhaps others around here who achieved a PB in London might have an opinion as to whether the course is really suited to negative, even or positive splits when going all out.

Is London not fairly like Berlin though? No hills of any real significance. I won't be zig zagging early to get up to race pace anyway. I doubt ten seconds or so in the first mile of a marathon will make any real difference to the overall time. Even if the second half has a slightly tougher profile, so did Ballycotton and I would prefer to finish like that than Berlin in 2014 where I was hanging on from a long way out. Don't get me wrong, I won't be expending energy stopping myself being propelled down hills, but I'll be careful not to use up any taper induced freshness between miles 1 & 13.

London Marathon - Week 16/18

Another week over with. The Hansons have me knackered though!

Monday 3rd April
    6m @ 7:50p/m average (129bpm avg)

Early run into work. All done by 8:30am, giving me almost 36 hours to recover for Tuesday's strength session.

Tuesday 4th April
    2m w/u @ 7:53p/m average (123bpm avg)
    4 x 1.5m @ 6:17p/m average with 800m recoveries (155bpm)
    2m c/d @ 8:08p/m average (130bpm avg)

Had been a little worried about this with the fatigue really starting to build in the legs lately. Found the first one a bit difficult, but the other three were fine. Never really felt like I was pushing too hard and the HR bears that out.

Wednesday 5th April
    Rest

Thursday 6th April
    2m w/u @ 7:52p/m average (132bpm avg)
    10m @ 6:28p/m average (159bpm)
    2m c/d @ 7:50p/m average (148bpm avg)

As mentioned last week, this will not be my MP. I don't think it will do me any harm to continue running at this pace for the remainder of the plan though. Was out early for this, which seemed to make it even more difficult! There was a howler of a wind blowing which made some of the miles a hell of a lot tougher than others. Mile 9 was one of those and the 6:29 there took much more of an effort than it should have. However, having taken a turn out of the wind early in Mile 10 I kept up the effort and finished off with a 6:16 mile. I've only actually noticed it now on review, as it was completely unintentional. I hope I haven't done any damage.

Friday 7th April
    6m @ 8:02p/m average (122bpm avg)

Took this very easy after yesterday's session. Felt more like a recovery run.

Saturday 8th April
    10m @ 7:48p/m average (136bpm avg)

Didn't get out for this until the afternoon due to various other commitments. Didn't feel great and HR is higher than ideal for the pace, but it was quite warm outside.

Sunday 9th April
    10m @ 7:45p/m average (134bpm avg)

Golfing in the morning while simultaneously trying to stay updated with exploits in Rotterdam. Some truly heroic performances there. We've almost come to expect it at this stage from those involved, but serious kudos nonetheless. I can't find the words to justifiably describe how impressed I was. Anyway, onto my own far less inspiring run. This week is almost identical to last week without the long run, so not really surprising that I was completely wiped before I even finished the golf. Getting off the couch afterwards was hard work, but I eventually managed it for what felt like a real plod. An ordeal. No fun.

I am exhausted!
    The Wednesday session (Rest Day) has long been my favourite part of the Hansons plan. I'm hoping I'm supposed to be this fatigued, because I'm fcuked otherwise :confused:. I've deliberately put back the sports massage until after I complete my final two sessions this week. The thinking being I'll get some bounce back in the legs. Couple that with a week of easy running and I'll be raring to go on the 23rd. Right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement