Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chill Restaurant , Manor Mills SC , Maynooth

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

(Darn ,website crashed after I wrote a long review!!!!)
    Anyway , well worth a punt !VERY broad appeal ,(simple yet smart,chic yet unintimidating) something for almost everyone at any time of the day .Mega desserts inc 'old school' de luxe ice cream sundaes (so big best shared!?)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We were there last Sat night,it was near empty and the staff were really good and attentive but the food was only ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Had a bad service experience last week, but I terms of options of where to eat with kids it blows the rest of the town away. Will try it again, I'd like to like that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Was there for lunch today. Food was great, although the service wasn't perfect how nice the staff were more than made up for it. Definitely going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I think Chill fills a much needed gap in the market in Maynooth for a really child friendly restaurant. Been there twice now with the kids and have had very positive experiences both times. Really enjoyed the food - the menu is great and has something for everyone. The decor is bright and engaging, and there is plenty of room for kids, buggies etc. Staff are very friendly and service is good.

The 2nd time we were there (which was yesterday) with our newborn and 21 month old, the owner/manager came over to us and asked if we ever got the opportunity to go out on our own without the kids. When we said not very often, he duly presented us with a voucher for a meal for two. Now if that isn't looking after your customers I don't know what is. Just for the cynics out there, we had already decided that this was somewhere that we would be continuing to go to - that gesture means we can go back sooner rather than later...

Thumbs up from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

I also got a voucher from owner despite only nipping inside door to have a peek at menu !Generous gesture . Yes, v family friendly place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Mind not made up yet here at all I'm afraid...

Evening menus were on the table when went in for lunch, but then told only the lunch menu was in use, which was very limited (we had a picky eater with us and had to up and leave unfortunately)

Went back again for dinner (pizza oven hadn't arrived yet which we learned as went to order) the food (only burgers on this night) was very well priced, tasty and big portions (Hadn't room for desert!) Really liked the complimentary nachos while we waited for our meal, I think they'd be nicer served heated though

Despite all the cool designing I get couldn't get away from the fact that it feels and sounds like a canteen (wobbly table, plastic seats, echoey)... It was cold too, so we we had to dine with our jackets on.

I'll be giving it a shot again alright, I hope they add Heineken to their beer list, I think they only had Miller and Corona that night.

Not sure if it'll become a regular on our dining circuit...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Nacho starter is odd and not like normal nachos. I was a little disappointed.

I thought they were a nice change from the usual ones actually, they're kinda like a really thin crispy pizza base, or a pastry of some sort... but really would have liked to try them when warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

They're deep fried nachos ,a very 'authentic 'form .Calling them odd is a bit like someone who's only eaten easi singles saying they don't like mature cheddar !Having said that I prefer the 'normal' ones too!

Incidentally was there yesterday again and the 'normal' 5.50 sundaes are more than adequate for one person who had a main course .They have three scoops of ice cream .Youd SURELY have to share the 12 euro monster version !Nice place ,our little one met her teacher there with HER family .

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

SQ2 wrote: »
    Mind not made up yet here at all I'm afraid...

Evening menus were on the table when went in for lunch, but then told only the lunch menu was in use, which was very limited (we had a picky eater with us and had to up and leave unfortunately)

Went back again for dinner (pizza oven hadn't arrived yet which we learned as went to order) the food (only burgers on this night) was very well priced, tasty and big portions (Hadn't room for desert!) Really liked the complimentary nachos while we waited for our meal, I think they'd be nicer served heated though

Despite all the cool designing I get couldn't get away from the fact that it feels and sounds like a canteen (wobbly table, plastic seats, echoey)... It was cold too, so we we had to dine with our jackets on.

I'll be giving it a shot again alright, I hope they add Heineken to their beer list, I think they only had Miller and Corona that night.

Not sure if it'll become a regular on our dining circuit...

Spotted a Heineken truck parked outside the shopping centre lunch time Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Food is good. Only thing that annoys me is the fact that they use the glass bottles of Coke, like in the pub. I always feel ripped off when I get served one of these. Can's would be much better.
    Pulled pork burger is very tasty!

I must try it with the kids...
    There are so few places in the town that I can fit a double buggy and sit comfortably with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I must try it with the kids...
    There are so few places in the town that I can fit a double buggy and sit comfortably with the kids.

Double buggy fits in grand, and if you go in the entrance from Manor Mills there is loads of room just inside the door, not just for the buggy but for kids to move around without causing any havoc

Food is good. Only thing that annoys me is the fact that they use the glass bottles of Coke, like in the pub. I always feel ripped off when I get served one of these. Can's would be much better.
    Pulled pork burger is very tasty!

Oh yeah, forgot about that, didn't seem to have ice at the time as well

Yes on a negative tone the size of the (Diet) Cokes for 2.50 is poor.Would nearly sooner a generous tumbler of Lidl/Aldi stuff but i spose you cant please everybody all the time .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yesitcanbedone

This place is a god send for me with the kids, iv been in a few times, nothing bothers the staff here, they're always happy and helpfull, the menu is improving, cant really knock the place as its a new joint just getting settled in. A pretty good job so far , which im sure will get better, of course , that is only if it gets supported.
    We have lost some great businesses in Maynooth due to us not supporting them, sometimes its hard with the big dogs in the market doing it cheaper, but we should spread our spending around a little, . At least (I think anyway) they are not doing the usual restaurant rip off thing. Its good and its reasonable, and its a family restaurant, which is far from a macdonalds
    Its bright modern and a refreshing change from the formal restaurants. Staff and management are 110%
    Well done I say.. anyone setting up these days deserves to be given a hand out. Go on , call in .

(Ps . I am not involved what so ever in this place. I just think its good to see a new business setting up in Maynooth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We went last weekend, it was ok. I was freezing, service was very slow, my burger was over cooked and they only told us there was no pizza when we went to order them. I would give it one more chance to show improvement - I'm all for supporting local businesses but not for throwing my money away on something I don't enjoy

This place is a god send for me with the kids, iv been in a few times, nothing bothers the staff here, they're always happy and helpfull, the menu is improving, cant really knock the place as its a new joint just getting settled in. A pretty good job so far , which im sure will get better, of course , that is only if it gets supported.
    We have lost some great businesses in Maynooth due to us not supporting them, sometimes its hard with the big dogs in the market doing it cheaper, but we should spread our spending around a little, . At least (I think anyway) they are not doing the usual restaurant rip off thing. Its good and its reasonable, and its a family restaurant, which is far from a macdonalds
    Its bright modern and a refreshing change from the formal restaurants. Staff and management are 110%
    Well done I say.. anyone setting up these days deserves to be given a hand out. Go on , call in .

(Ps . I am not involved what so ever in this place. I just think its good to see a new business setting up in Maynooth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

We were there last night, surprisingly quiet. Food was excellent, staff were lovely.
    Do wish there was a better choice of drinks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Whiteflag12

Was there last week, food was only okay. Ordered two cheesecakes and they were disappointingly small, one looked a bit worse for wear, like a recipe you did at home but it went wrong ! It was also freezing, was warmer when we went outdoors!
    Wouldn't bother going back, much nicer places in Maynooth to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

...they only told us there was no pizza when we went to order them. I would give it one more chance to show improvement - I'm all for supporting local businesses but not for throwing my money away on something I don't enjoy

Pizzas were off the menu last wed and thur. Maybe their oven was out of order.

Practically every restaurant on my last four or five trips has had something 'off the menu'.One place had no chicken on a Sunday afternoon!Scarey times for cashflow in modern restaurants!!!???

Advertisement