Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i find the profile in eircom fibre router?

• 02-11-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭

A friend has got the new eircom fibre and was told speed was 70mb but I checked today and its only 23mb. I logged on to router but could not for the life of me find the bit that shows connection speed. I know it was probably meant as up to 70mb but did say I would try and find out profile.

Is this deliberately hidden or have I missed an obivious heading? I used admin and the wireless key to access modem.

gbc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

If you log into the router and click on the System Monitor icon then select xDSL Status - you'll get a text dump with the Line Rate and Actual Net Data Rate. I would expect the Line Rate to be 70Mbps and the Actual to be as close to 70Mbps as possible. If it is less than 50Mbps, the line cannot sustain 70Mbps and your friend may be best advised to pay for the slighter less expensive 50Mbps package as he isn't going to benefit from 70Mbps.

I've shown my stats below. Important point, I'm on a 50Mbps package but had eVision installed for a while so Eircom dropped my profile (without telling me) to 40Mbps to enhance the eVision experience. Normally my Line Rate is very close to 50Mbps and my actual rate is 49Mps.

============================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   4 days: 14 hours: 40 minutes
    ============================================================================
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     14.809 Mbps       41.039 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     14.779 Mbps       40.968 Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

many thanks much appreciated. As a point of interest when Fibre was rolled out in May I was having a few hiccups with VF and was fully intending to move to eircom so did a bit of researching. What I did find was that eircom were using 2 profiles and the slower one was the norm for Evison, in other words if you did not take the slower profile eircom would not give you Evision. I stuck with VF in the end as they by default gave me the fastest possible profile. I am not keen on evision at the moment. If eircom can sort vectoring then evision could be a goer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭ChrisMcCauley

Glad to be of help.

When eFibre is installed they give you the fastest possible profile within your package e.g. my package is 50Mb/s and when eFibre was installed I was getting 49Mbs and the line stats showed that it could go to almost 60Mb/s (though I would have to upgrade my package to 70Mb/s).

When eVision is installed, they drop your profile to ensure that there is a consistent 10Mb/s bandwidth - eVision also seems to use around 5Mb/s of the remaining bandwidth i.e around 15Mb/s. Obviously when eVision isn't running that 5Mb/s isn't used but you still loose the 10Mb/s

I've cancelled my eVision because it wasn't working reliably for me but I'm still waiting for my profile to be fixed to give the full 50Mb/s.

Advertisement