Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best ecommerce site to set up a shop

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hello has any one any advice on best online ecommerce that will have euro currency? I need a simple enough website just with products for sale and a page or two for added information about my page. I have heard of shopify but Im on a budget?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Wordpress with woocommerce is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Many many options. It is really down to your specific requirements. Have a read here to start with and post back after if you need more assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

shopify seems the best really well from reading the link and the comments underneath it , I just hope it isn't as technical I just want to upload products and start selling. Is wordpress difficult to do? I have over 100 products to start selling from a supplier :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

We have two ecomm sites, one £Stg and one € using http://www.bluepark.co.uk/.... And are more than pleased with the price, quality, functionality, reporting, and support

clarbar wrote: »
    Is wordpress difficult to do? I have over 100 products to start selling from a supplier :/

WordPress is a fairly easy solution, but like all of them there is a learning curve.

It is worth checking out a few e-commerce options before settling on the one that's right of your business. Start with a list of things that your e-commerce solutions absolutely mist have. E.g. credit card payments, payment processors, shipping calculators, tax calculators, multi-currency, number of items supported (including variations of each item) etc.

Once you have narrowed your choices down, calculate the monthly costs of each and don't forget to include the cost of payment processing in those calculations.

Also consider the costs of any additional work you may need setting your shop up or customising it. How much would it cost to hire a '******' developer for the day/week/month.

Many of the commerce platforms offer a free trial, I'd definitely recommend giving a few of them a go.

One thing to keep in mind when reading 3rd party review sites is they often are not as independent as they first look. Many take an affiliate payment (commission) for referring you from their site.

'******' = any commerce platform you are considering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I used the site builder on register365 its easy to use once you get to grips with it. Its kind of like Photoshop with the way it layers things. I find the site doesn't load the best though to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

Thanks all for the replies, going to try a few of the free trials and see which one works best for me and my products. Shipping doesn't cost as much so might just include it as the products only come shipped from London. Bluepark looks good and so does shopify so its more likely one or the other.

now could anyone give me advice on how I get paid through a website I mean how do I ahem link up my bank account to the website so I can get paid? Im extremely non-technical sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

now could anyone give me advice on how I get paid through a website I mean how do I ahem link up my bank account to the website so I can get paid? Im extremely non-technical sorry

Realex payments are a popular solution, visit this link for comprehensive list of shopping carts they work with. The list of carts may be of use to you as you may not have considered some of them.
    Please note you will need a merchant account with a bank for this.

Paypal is another option which may be better suited to you starting out. You don't need a merchant account with the bank. IMO it should always be one of the payment options for customers regardless of how long the business is established, as it can be perceived as a safe method of payment thus reducing the risk of cart abandonment... it is also easy to use and the customer doesn't have to reveal their card details to you.

Read this thread it includes useful information you are seeking.

Also read here it includes useful information relating to the charges that you can expect.

Thanks all for the replies, going to try a few of the free trials and see which one works best for me and my products. Shipping doesn't cost as much so might just include it as the products only come shipped from London. Bluepark looks good and so does shopify so its more likely one or the other.

Paypal, paymill and stripe are all well worth a look for processing credit card payments. None of them will require a merchant account, which is definitely a good thing when you're starting out.

Stripe deposits credit card receipts in your bank 7 days after credit card payment is taken, Paymill is something similar.

Make sure you have an idea which one you are going to use, not all e-commerce solutions support all payment providers.

Advertisement