Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husband giving up smoking

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My husband has been trying for the last year to give up smoking and has tried everything, electronic cigarettes, patches, chewing gum etc. I was recommended by a friend that he should try hypnosis, she said the success rate for it is huge!! I am a bit nervous though, as is my husband . We would just love to know if hypnosis is completely safe and if anyone has had it done and what they thought of it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I think you meant to post in this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=871
    the success rate for it is huge!!

That I don't believe. The success rate is likely on par with NRT and/or cold turkey (5-10%?) - minimal gains in the view of huge losses (25% take-up of smoking).

Two acquaintances tried hypnosis for smoking and failed, but it works for some so give it a bash if you think it'll help.

As for hypnosis being safe... it's a kind of self-fulfilling prophesy - if your husband is a natural sceptic it probably won't work, if he's suggestible it might. No danger to it unless he's extremely suggestible and has a repressed need to act out of character and the hypnotist is an asshole. Unlikely to have all three of those at the same time. If you've ever watched Derren Brown's larger productions you'll have seen the trouble he has to go to to find the perfect person to carry out his deeds.

Hypnotism aside and seeing as you're in this forum - what kind of ecig did your husband use?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 louhiggins

grindle wrote: »
    I think you meant to post in this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=871

That I don't believe. The success rate is likely on par with NRT and/or cold turkey (5-10%?) - minimal gains in the view of huge losses (25% take-up of smoking).

Two acquaintances tried hypnosis for smoking and failed, but it works for some so give it a bash if you think it'll help.

As for hypnosis being safe... it's a kind of self-fulfilling prophesy - if your husband is a natural sceptic it probably won't work, if he's suggestible it might. No danger to it unless he's extremely suggestible and has a repressed need to act out of character and the hypnotist is an asshole. Unlikely to have all three of those at the same time. If you've ever watched Derren Brown's larger productions you'll have seen the trouble he has to go to to find the perfect person to carry out his deeds.

Hypnotism aside and seeing as you're in this forum - what kind of ecig did your husband use?

Thanks for the reply!
    He used the chargeable one, paid about €100 for it and it hasn't helped at all... Complete waste of money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

louhiggins wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!
    He used the chargeable one, paid about €100 for it and it hasn't helped at all... Complete waste of money!

Did it look like a cigarette?

louhiggins wrote: »

Was it the size of a cigarette or a cigar-size (or larger)?

€100 sounds like he got ripped off unless he was buying fancy gear.

Edit:
    Did it look like a cigarette?
    WE ARE AS ONE
    WE ARE AS ONE
    WE ARE AS ONE
    WE ARE AS ONE

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

Ask him to give the ecig a go again but say to him instead of thinking hes trying to give up the smokes to just tink that hes changing brand of fag. I had many failures but when i didnt put pressure on myself about giving up the smokes,just thinking it was a change of brand,a new way of smoking, ecigs worked a treat. I also didnt restrict myself from having a real cig if the mood took me that way. It completely removed the anxiety about not being able to have a smoke.
    And before long i started to hate the smell and taste of fags and was paranoid about the smell off me when i did have one,coz when you stop for awhile and start smelling smoke off others it hits home how you used to smell to others that dont smoke,effin discusting

About hypnotisim,as said, if hes sceptic about it it probably wont work.

Ecigs do work and work well.just find the right kit that suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

That is too funny:-D
    Make a sweat bounce! haha,hahaha
    Pi55in myself :-D :-D :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    That is too funny:-D
    Make a sweat bounce! haha,hahaha
    Pi55in myself :-D :-D :-D

Have to agree, have read this about ten times and it still makes me fall around laughing....:D

Aww, they took it away, Google translate, you funny bastard you

FFFS, what was it?

grindle wrote: »
    FFFS, what was it?

Someone put up about 3 posts on different different threads shillin crappy egos, but the translation was hilarious.
    They got banned straight away and this morning the posts were removed, pitty:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

hypnosis had zero affect on me,

Or were you told to say that by a really good hypnotist?

Advertisement