Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off

Options
  • 02-11-2013 3:52am

I've been talking about brewing my own beer for as long as I've been drinking beer and think it's about time I went ahead and started. Looking for some advice on the best way to get up and gunning. Looking tor suggestions for a good starter kit, would prefer to spend under a €100 for kit and ingredients but could push it a little.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Any of the starter sets from the homebrew companies should be fine. You don't really need a brewbelt, however, and I know some of them package those. If you're going to start with kits, the darker beer styles are generally better than the pale ones -- stouts and ales, rather than blondes and lagers. If you're getting a one-can kit that requires a top-up fermentable, use spraymalt (DME) for best results, though liquid malt extract is also a good option, and tends to be quite cheap. Don't just bung in a load of sugar.

I doubt you'd be able to start extract or all-grain brewing for less than €100, unless you're going to make the extra bits of equipment yourself, so kits seem like the best way to go to begin, cheaply and easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

a kit like this along with the can of LME plus the carbonation drops would be a good first time brew http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-original-dark-ale-classic-old-dark-ale-17kg-beer-kit-251-p.asp

this is a pretty good starter kit and you get to pick a Coopers kit http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewsmarter-premium-starter-beer-kit-without-heating-belt-best-value-2744-p.asp

at the start keep it simple and always keep it sanitized.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd get
    A fermenter, airlock
    Bottling bucket, bottling wand
    Autosiphon
    Hygrometer
    Bottle capper&caps
    A woodfords 3kg kit
    Nottingham yeast

I'll assume you can source brown bottles from your local off-licence;)

You could go without an autosiphon and just use some food grade tubing to rack into a bottling bucket.
    You could wing it and not use a hygrometer, I did, but I can't recommend anyone else do it for their first brew
    You could not use an airlock and just leave the fermenter lid ajar, but I like to hear the blub blub of the bubbles
    You could get a load of swing top bottles and not need a capper or bottles

You could get a cheaper kit, but the ingredients make the beer, the kit just helps

I wouldn't get carbonation drops, I'd use ordinary sugar, boiled up in a smidgen of water into the bottling bucket

I use a mix of thin bleach and distilled malt vinegar for sanitising,
    Add a shot of bleach, a few litres of water and then add a shot of water, don't mix neat bleach &vinegar, this is dangerous, it releases chlorine gas
    I'd assume you'll have these in the house for free too, if not it'll cost about 2 euros, for enough to brew 100 brews....

As mentioned, dark brews are easier than golden ales or lagers
    My first stout was easily better than canned mega brewery non-draught stout
    Weissbier is also a handy one, the yeast does most of the hard work flavourwise

Happy brewing

Advertisement