Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

• 02-11-2013 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Vote up.

O'Neill and Keane for the Ireland Job? 450 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    58% 264 votes
    O'Neill with another?
    22% 103 votes
    Keane with another?
    15% 71 votes
    Somebody else should be manager.
    2% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hell no.. O'Neill would never handle the orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

martin o neill pulling the strings and having the experience and keane keeping it straight and cutting out all the bull****........ possibilities...............................

bye bye the likes of stephen ireland for a start. just imagine keanes response.

'you cant decide whether to play or not? well **** off boy'

'your grannies dead? get your arse training or you'll be joining her'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Managerial partnerships never work anyway, but Roy Keane working alongside someone else would be a hilarious disaster. They'd be at each others throats by the end of the day.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

not.a.hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

One thing is for sure, it will get entertaining!

Has there ever been any public spat between Roy and Robbie? Roy certainly wouldn't have any sentimental misgivings about stripping Robbie of the captaincy/ start if he doesn't net against whoever are the big teams next campaign.

All in all, brutal idea I reckon. RK is a proven useless man manager on the personal level, even worse than Trap.

Mind you MON is a great one, so....**** knows!

• Advertisement

Neither should be let near the Irish team.

From Trappatoni to a manager with dinosaur tactics and a failed manager beside him. Only the FAI could come up with this.

Sounds like something from a comedy show.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Neither should be let near the Irish team.

From Trappatoni to a manager with dinosaur tactics and a failed manager beside him. Only the FAI could come up with this.

Sounds like something from a comedy show.

I don't mean to offend, being a Pool man myself, but this dinosaur talk.....combined with your signature.....:confused::confused: The appointment of Dalglish was arguably more comical than Stan- at least with Stan, Bobby Robson was meant to be the actual manager until his health problems.

I don't mean to offend, being a Pool man myself, but this dinosaur talk.....combined with your signature.....:confused::confused: The appointment of Dalglish was arguably more comical than Stan- at least with Stan, Bobby Robson was meant to be the actual manager until his health problems.

What's this got to do with Liverpool? Nothing. So no need to turn it into that and ruin the thread.

Back on topic, O Neills tactics are outdated and he should just bow out of football gracefully. Keane should stick to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Big mick and Roy keane.
    It would end up like the Saipan/goodfellas scene from the savage eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU4_5zV2pco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

It cant work. I'm not surprised MON will be hired as manager, not that i'm happy with it, but Keane as his Number 2 feels very gimmicky.

All in all, very uninspiring appointment.

• Advertisement

What's this got to do with Liverpool? Nothing. So no need to turn it into that and ruin the thread.

I just find the difference of opinion bizarre regarding dinosaur managers. I shook my head in shock and half amusement when I heard KD was getting appointed but even I could not guess how comically awful the thing would go (possibly even more off the pitch than on it)

I just find the difference of opinion bizarre regarding dinosaur managers. I shook my head in shock and half amusement when I heard KD was getting appointed but even I could not guess how comically awful the thing would go (possibly even more off the pitch than on it)

Post your opinion over in the Pool thread and we can debate there. I doubt many here want to read about anything related to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Managerial partnerships in general are a bad idea, I think.

Having someone like Keane in one would make it even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So rather then one failed Sunderland manager, there's the possibility of two?

Seems flawless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Partnerships are a terrible idea. Doubt many managers, especially these 2,would agree to one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its like 2005 and the Stan appointment all over again.

I cannot see what value Keane adds

As I said on another thread if he wants a managerial career he should go down to league 2 or the conference and build up experience from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Id have to stop supporting the national team for a spell if Keane was brought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

CSF wrote: »
    I think Id have to stop supporting the national team for a spell if Keane was brought in

Based on what. ?? Have you suddenly stopped being Irish ??

CSF wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Keane myself but that would be ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd like to see Keane in a partnership role at some point, as I think working with a mentor would help further his manageral career.

Although I can't see him taking orders, and all that happened with the FAI, I can't see him working for them, and I think I would lose a bit if repect for him if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lol are the FAI trying to get a set up worse than Trap! O'Neill fair enough but teaming him with the trainwreak thats Roy Keane will be disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

s8n wrote: »
    Based on what. ?? Have you suddenly stopped being Irish ??
    No but this would be one too many ridiculous decisions on behalf of the FAI for me to take.
    See above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Keane would have to accept a junior role similar to the role Tardelli had. This would also need to be reflected in his wages and his interview style. Based on this I don't see why he would take the job.

I would not like to see either get the post. My pick would still be Mick McCarthy as there are few other managers around that are able to get the most out of a group of less than top class players

The poster has a point to a certain extent.
    The inclusion of Keane is nothing more than a publicity stunt to cover up what is essentially an uninspiring appointment in O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I'd love to see Keane get the job. There is probably a good manager in there somewhere but his style is too intense for day to day management and those around him burn out. Would like to see him try his hand at international management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Just can't see it happening. Its crazy enough though that it might just work. Or it could bomb completely!

No smoke without fire though. The reports are all suggesting that its O'Neill who requested it. It all just seems too far fetched for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It looks like this is happening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24770300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Keane would have to accept a junior role similar to the role Tardelli had. This would also need to be reflected in his wages and his interview style. Based on this I don't see why he would take the job.

I would not like to see either get the post. My pick would still be Mick McCarthy as there are few other managers around that are able to get the most out of a group of less than top class players

Mick McCarthy with Keane as his underling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The poster has a point to a certain extent.
    The inclusion of Keane is nothing more than a publicity stunt to cover up what is essentially an uninspiring appointment in O'Neill
    Any reports I've read so far have said that O'Neill has told the FAI that he wants Keane as his assistant so i'm not sure why you're claiming it's a publicity stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pighead wrote: »
    Any reports I've read so far have said that O'Neill has told the FAI that he wants Keane as his assistant so i'm not sure why you're claiming it's a publicity stunt.

I am guessing Emile Heskey refused the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

An unfathomably bad combination. Why we didn't go for a manager, that would at least try and play football, is totally beyond me.

At least it makes losing much less depressing, when the team has attempted to play with some element of style.

But now we have the master of hoofball, and the master of player alienation in a delightfully similar package to what has just left us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I think it's a good appointment. At the very least entertaining.

daRobot wrote: »
    But now we have the master of hoofball, and the master of player alienation in a delightfully similar package to what has just left us.
    Master of hoofball? Absolutes scutter. You don't know what hoofball means if you think that. He played Ashley Young, James Milner, Gabby Agbonlahor and Stewart Downing counter attacking at pace more often than not. Why the fcuk would he play speed merchants like that if he were the 'master of hoofball'? Complete nonsense. Cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It's so crazy it might actually work. I reckon O'Neill got a raw deal at his last two clubs (Villa basically asset stripping and Sunderland were always a basket case), he's certainly not a bad manager. He was tipped to succeed Fergie back in the early 2000's.

Keane, well it would probably feel like a time bomb waiting for something to tip him over the edge. Such a great player and intelligent footballer must have something to offer in a coaching role though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Dunno if posted but thought this was a bizarre comment from the Telegraph

''O’Neill represented Northern Ireland as a player and captained them at the 1982 World Cup, but as a Catholic, as well as the outstanding candidate, he will be warmly welcomed by supporters and media alike''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/10422085/Martin-ONeill-lines-up-Roy-Keane-to-form-dream-Republic-of-Ireland-manager-coach-duo.html

Interesting Management Team....looking forward to seeing how it pans out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

BMJD wrote: »
    That would be an ecumenical matter

:pac:

Weird comment from The Telegraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not sure what to make of it tbh. Happy enough with O' Neill, but Keane with him? Surely it will lead to a power struggle between them, Keane is too hot-headed to be an assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cant wait to hear Dunphys thoughts on this :D

In the same boat as THFC above don't know really what to make of it.

Give it a lash sure see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This will be class.

Not sure about how we'll do on the field but it'll bring a lot of buzz back to supporting the Irish team and provide bar-stoolers up and down the land with plenty to debate.

Comparing this to the Staunton debacle is disingenuous. If people don't like MON (or Keane) that's fine. But neither are a) inexperienced or b) Stan.

MON did well/ok at most of his clubs, particularly Leicester and Celtic. Keane actually did pretty well at Sunderland if you examine it he had them finishing mid-table and left when they were 11th, subsequent managers have made a dogs dinner of it (including MON). I think that probably speaks more about Ellis Short and the hierarachy than the managers themselves.

Ipswich are another club with yo-yo managers for little success.

I don't think we can say Keane is a failure at management (yet) and this is an intriguing combo. Give them a lash and see what happens. There has only been 1 appointment by the FAI since Charlton that was met with universal acclaim (Trap) and that ultimately failed, so there's no harm in giving this pairing a go at it. At the very least it will bring a buzz back to the Irish set-up. The signing of Ozil at Arsenal shows what a buzz can do for the players around them, raise their levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ah now, how does MON with Roy Keane as his assistant =
    daRobot wrote: »
    An unfathomably bad combination

If the role was being linked with a giant squid and Steve Staunton as its assistant, or Joey Barton with Balotelli as his assistant, maybe. But surely what you've just said is an unfathomably large overstatement? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't give a damn about national football.

BUT I have to admit, the idea of the combo actually intrigues me enough that I'd start following it a bit more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll support whoever is appointed, but I think it would be a terrible decision

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

In all seriousness I see MON getting a PL job eventually (say 12-18 months max)with Keane taking the gaffers role on after.

Fair enough, I was not aware of that

But its still a train wreck if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Ferguson said his mind was made up about Keane after the MUTV interview. He also said Roy had blindly refused to accept a more withdrawn playing capacity. I feel both of these things need to be considered before granting MON his wish and signing up contracts to bring the national team down this road.

On the first point, Keane does not have time for the modern footballer and has difficulty accepting when young players are failing to develop at a fast enough pace as evidenced by some of his comments on Fletcher for example who did develop albeit slowly into a fine asset for Man Utd. Modern players are rich, arrogant and spoiled, screaming at them will not change that. It is a fact. Some players develop both physically and mentally slower than others do, screaming at them will not make a difference.

On the second point, Keane was unwilling to accept a more limited playing role. Now after managing a top tier club and ironically the same club that the man who will be above him managed, he will not be the kind of man to humbly take a step back and tow the line. He will view himself as equal to O'Neill even if his contract says differently and that is a recipe for disaster.

I feel there is a better man out there for the job (I have suggested Curbishley on many occasions and stand by it) but if either O'Neill or Keane get the job I will support them and hope they bring better days back to the team. But if the FAI are looking at both then I pray they choose ONE and don't try take the least logical option of putting them both in there. It simply will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Master of hoofball? Absolutes scutter. You don't know what hoofball means if you think that. He played Ashley Young, James Milner, Gabby Agbonlahor and Stewart Downing counter attacking at pace more often than not. Why the fcuk would he play speed merchants like that if he were the 'master of hoofball'? Complete nonsense. Cop on.
    its a variant of hoofball playing on the counter.you play pacey players in attack and get the ball up to them as quickly as possible after the opposing teams attack has broken down. just don't know what to make of it to be fair.Andy Reid won't be in many more squads for sure!!!

its a variant of hoofball playing on the counter.you play pacey players in attack and get the ball up to them as quickly as possible after the opposing teams attack has broken down. just don't know what to make of it to be fair.Andy Reid won't be in many more squads for sure!!!
    You've got to be kidding me? That's not even in the same league as hoofing. Hoofing is exactly what the name implies. Hoofing the ball up to the forwards and hoping to feed off any knock-downs or flick ons. Is giving the ball to your playmaker to set up an attack also a variant of hoofball. Sort it out pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Cant wait to hear Dunphys thoughts on this :D

In the same boat as THFC above don't know really what to make of it.

Give it a lash sure see how it goes.

Who gives a flying f@@k ,what that tosser thinks. MON on his own yes ,but with Keano as assistant i could not see it lasting very long.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Moan a minute martin will have plenty more to moan about me thinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement