Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Best get that contract inked, Norwich will be looking for a new manager come 5pm!

Edit: Fulham too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think if MON wants this, and Keane is willing to take on an assistant role beneath someone else, I think it could work well.

But if this is another bright idea by the FAI to hedge their bets rather than having the balls to make a decision it'll be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Its hard to believe that Irelands stock has fallen so far that these are the favourites for the job:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

5live wrote: »
    Its hard to believe that Irelands stock has fallen so far that these are the favourites for the job:mad:

Who was favourite for the job when Kerr left? Terry Venables. Who was favourite for the job when Staunton left? Terry Venables. Things have been worse, trust me on that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The players we have to choose from and these two failed Sunderland managers
    seem to be on par to me ie very mediocre at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

:pac: It's hard to tell if some posters on this site are serious or not.

It's a novel pairing, will get lots of publicity and support from the public. I think it can work. I'd imagine that maybe O'Neill is thinking about a 4 year or even 2 year stint and that if things work out Keane might take over as manager having learned some man management skills at close quarters from O'Neill. Perhaps Keane might be given a broader role in terms of developing the game in Ireland? Exciting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Lennonist wrote: »
    :pac: It's hard to tell if some posters on this site are serious or not.

It's a novel pairing, will get lots of publicity and support from the public. I think it can work. I'd imagine that maybe O'Neill is thinking about a 4 year or even 2 year stint and that if things work out Keane might take over as manager having learned some man management skills at close quarters from O'Neill. Perhaps Keane might be given a broader role in terms of developing the game in Ireland? Exciting times ahead.
    Yup:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Overheard in a shop a today.
    "Why can't the bring back Trappatoni's assistant manager. She was nice." :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

flazio wrote: »
    Overheard in a shop a today.
    "Why can't the bring back Trappatoni's assistant manager. She was nice." :rolleyes:

Id give her a go anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Unless Roy Keane has undergone a Damascene conversion in the last few years it is a terrible idea.

The man has consistently shown that he cannot take orders. He will never be successful as an assistant. He might hold his tongue briefly but as soon as the pressure is on and there is a disagreement between him and O'Neill all hell will break lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Why would people not support Keane? Because if we actually made it to a world cup he might ensure the standards are acceptable?
    Anyone who doesn't like him is either a liverpool fan, a city fan, or someone who is completely misinformed about the whole Saipan rubbish. He never walked out on his country, he was sent home for not accepting the crap standards he was forced to put up with. HE WANTED BETTER FOR HIS COUNTRY!
    The man is an Irish legend, with a passion for the game no one else can match. I think O'Neill would bring out the best in him in terms of being able to manage players and a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Dcully wrote: »
    The players we have to choose from and these two failed Sunderland managers
    seem to be on par to me ie very mediocre at best.

I cant understand how people keep saying Keane was a failure as Sunderland manager. Look at the facts people he took Sunderland from 23rd position in the championship to winning it in one season and gaining automatic promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Devil08 wrote: »
    Why would people not support Keane? Because if we actually made it to a world cup he might ensure the standards are acceptable?
    Anyone who doesn't like him is either a liverpool fan, a city fan, or someone who is completely misinformed about the whole Saipan rubbish. He never walked out on his country, he was sent home for not accepting the crap standards he was forced to put up with. HE WANTED BETTER FOR HIS COUNTRY!
    The man is an Irish legend, with a passion for the game no one else can match. I think O'Neill would bring out the best in him in terms of being able to manage players and a team.

Because he has shown that he is not management material, and totally unproven as an assistant manager

As I have been saying he is better off down the league learning his trade, and if he becomes successful from there then well done to him, but as of today he is not the man for a job as part of the Ireland setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is potentially hilarious. What any sane person thinks Keane brings to the table beats me. He has little experience as a coach so him taking training isn't going to happen ( he scarcely attended training at Sunderland let alone took a session ) . as previous poster said he has proven incapable of taking direction or orders. Heaven forbid we qualify for a tournament because he has proven IMO incapable of remaining mentally stable if he is away from his home for extended periods.
    The only way it'll work is if there are cameras around to record the eventual meltdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't believe 94 people on here want this. I think you lads are voting with your hearts, not your heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Sergio wrote: »
    I cant understand how people keep saying Keane was a failure as Sunderland manager. Look at the facts people he took Sunderland from 23rd position in the championship to winning it in one season and gaining automatic promotion.

A single swallow does not a summer make.

He took them over very early in the season, its not as if they were in last place at Christmas.
    He was found out once he moved up a level and his days at Ipswich were forgettable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Keane is such a nutter tho I just cant see this ending well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

My biggest issue with these two will be the cost. Even if Dinny is paying for it through more IBRC write-downs the money would be far better spent on the LOI and grassroots football. Pat Fenlon or Chris Hughton when he becomes available would both have been capable of doing a competent job for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

A single swallow does not a summer make.

He took them over very early in the season, its not as if they were in last place at Christmas.
    He was found out once he moved up a level and his days at Ipswich were forgettable

Fair point and i know keane is his own worst enemy at the best of times. I still think in a role like that as assistant coach it might actually suit him. Love him or loathe him he is a born winner and that is exactly the type of attitude we need to instill into the players after the damage trap did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A victory for the newspapers, think of the puns

MON Ireland

Keane to impress etc etc.

That is the best thing i can think of about this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

naughtb4 wrote: »
    A victory for the newspapers, think of the puns

MON Ireland

Keane to impress etc etc.

That is the best thing i can think of about this

Yeah, and the likes of Mario Rosenstock and Apres Match will be delighted.

But it will all end in tears, and soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Lets not jump to conclusions,the talk is that Keane and O'Neill are friends.There is a lot of common ground between them with the Celtic and Sunderland links and they also both played under Brian Clough at Forest.

As Matt Cooper said in a tweet,it might also be a delayed apprenticeship and managerial rehab.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not everyone is basing his potential managerial ability on what he did in Saipan in 2002, I think you'll find that more people are judging his managerial ability on his previous managerial positions, none of which were a success. Add in to that his abrasive nature, putting in mildly, and it's clear that his appointment is very questionable.

I'm not saying he'll be a failure, he could very well do an exceptional job with Martin, but I would have more doubts than I would have confidence in the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

THFC wrote: »
    Not everyone is basing his potential managerial ability on what he did in Saipan in 2002, I think you'll find that more people are judging his managerial ability on his previous managerial positions, none of which were a success. Add in to that his abrasive nature, putting in mildly, and it's clear that his appointment is very questionable.

I'm not saying he'll be a failure, he could very well do an exceptional job with Martin, but I would have more doubts than I would have confidence in the appointment.

But he isn't going to be the manager. He will be the assistant. Some people make great assistants but are not great managers. I think keane could be one of those guys. If he is willing to be an assistant he is clearly willing to take orders and not be the main man. Some people think he isn't capable of this. Sure he took orders from Fergie for 10 years. I would say there isn't one player playing for Ireland who isn't inspired by him or who looks up to him. I can guarantee every single player would give everything to win a game under this leadership just to please him and get a pat on the back from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

THFC wrote: »

He's an assistant to O'Neill though. Much less risk involved. If Keane were given the managers job I'd agree with you but the fact he's coming in as a number two makes it much easier to get on board with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

But he isn't going to be the manager. He will be the assistant. Some people make great assistants but are not great managers. I think keane could be one of those guys. If he is willing to be an assistant he is clearly willing to take orders and not be the main man. Some people think he isn't capable of this. Sure he took orders from Fergie for 10 years. I would say there isn't one player playing for Ireland who isn't inspired by him or who looks up to him. I can guarantee every single player would give everything to win a game under this leadership just to please him and get a pat on the back from him.
    Pighead wrote: »
    He's an assistant to O'Neill though. Much less risk involved. If Keane were given the managers job I'd agree with you but the fact he's coming in as a number two makes it much easier to get on board with.
    I know, I'm aware of that fact alright, and I'm in the same boat as that I find it much easier to accept it, but there is still an element of doubt as to whether he'll make a good assistant, and in some ways I think it's more of a risk. But I'd still back the decision, I'd just be very wary considering he does seem to be a bit of control freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Perhaps the idea is to bring Roy in to counteract the perennial whingeing that goes on amongst the 'fans'.

If we have earned a draw away somewhere like Montenegro and the RTE clowns start bemoaning that there wasn't enough attackng and that John McFlavorofthemonth was left out of the squad...

MON: 'Release the hounds Keane.'

In a way this idea would be worth it just to hear Keane deal with the usual media bull and the stirring up from the likes of Tony O'Donoghue. I wonder if Tony would try some of his Trap-directed questions against Roy Keane. I would have my doubts.

I might be in the minority in that I actually like and respect both Keane and O'Neill. I can get behind this, but I know full well there will be many hoping and waiting for this to end in disappointment, which, given the talent available, it well might.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

What is defined as a success for a Sunderland manager?

When Keane took over they were a yo yo club.He got them promoted and they haven't been relegated since.That is not exactly a bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Pighead wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me? That's not even in the same league as hoofing. Hoofing is exactly what the name implies. Hoofing the ball up to the forwards and hoping to feed off any knock-downs or flick ons. Is giving the ball to your playmaker to set up an attack also a variant of hoofball. Sort it out pal.

obviously a Martin o neill fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'd love to see Keane get the job. There is probably a good manager in there somewhere but his style is too intense for day to day management and those around him burn out. Would like to see him try his hand at international management.

Well if there is I bet he swallowed him whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Oat23 wrote: »
    Can't believe 94 people on here want this. I think you lads are voting with your hearts, not your heads.

Should have been a public poll. I suspect they didn't vote with their heads or hearts, I suspect they voted with their cocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A flaw in the Poll...

Is voting 'No', not the same as voting 'Somebody Else'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

To everyone who is criticising the appointment of Keane and O'Neill, can anyone suggest an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ultimately they are both great motivators which is something that can make a huge difference in internationals, especially for a team like Ireland that has made a history of punching above their weight. Tactics under Trap can only be improved upon, the team needs a dependable striker to replace the ever declining Robbie Keane but other than that there is a reasonable amount of talent in the squad with a few players who will be in their prime in 4 years. Sort out the squad and give it a go to qualify for the Euros and make a push for the World Cup. I think it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'm really surprised at the negative reaction here about our possible 'coaching ticket'.
    I'd love to know who else you'd prefer that'd actually take the job. I'd prefer arsene wenger or guardiola but I can't see them coming on board! Even if they did would the team play that much better? I doubt it. You'd think we were some kinda sleeping giant like Real Madrid waiting for the right manager reading the posts. We were spanked in the euros not because of trap or not playing Gibson etc...but because we were nowhere near good enough. We were poxed to draw an even worse outfit than ourselves in Estonia.Being objective, we're a pretty poor international side. Bar the away games against France twice, the performances were pure dross for the past few years. Bar Robbie at his peak we have no real star players unfortunately. McCarthy is probably the closest we've got but Xavi Alonso he ain't.

As regards mick McCarthy the pundits/ public seem to forget how the team played post the 2002 World Cup. I was at lands down for his final game and the boos and general abuse from the stands was deafening.

No matter who is the manager I'll support them and hope they do well but there isn't a manager on the planet that will transform our team. Our biggest players are close to retirement. Dune and o Shea are past it. Bar Robbie and stokes we haven't one striker scoring regularly for their clubs. Let's face it the spl or the Mls ain't premier league maybe not even championship level.

From the associations point of view they badly need a popular/ interesting mgmt team. No matter what your opinion of the lads at the very least they'll bring back the fans initially at least.its all about selling those seats. I've been a loyal armchair fan-if that's possible- of the team for a fair while but the last few years I gave up watching them cos they're so bad. It's a fair while since the team have captured people's imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This won't end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

united fan by any chance? keane is a nightmare and an a££hole. hope hes nowhere near the team,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

To everyone who is criticising the appointment of Keane and O'Neill, can anyone suggest an alternative.

Guus Hiddink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Dempsey wrote: »
    Guus Hiddink

I probably should have said realistic alternative.

Hiddink turned down managing Autralia ,a team he previously managaged and a team already qualified for the World Cup next year.

Hiddink is being linked with every top club in Europe that has a manager anyway under pressure.

• Advertisement

I probably should have said realistic alternative.

Hiddink turned down managing Autralia ,a team he previously managaged and a team already qualified for the World Cup next year.

Hiddink is being linked with every top club in Europe that has a manager anyway under pressure.

He is a feasible appointment. Hiddink wants to take a breather until next summer, its feasible for Ireland to wait. Appointing a manager for the November Internationals isnt a priority tbh and the manager market is certainly not in our favour at this time of year.

MON/Keane now or wait for better option in the New Year, I'd wait tbh

We can attract Hiddink when he wants to return to football, Denis O'Brien is still bankrolling the FAI. For such a long term appointment, why rush the decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Guus Hiddink

Didn't Hiddink only say last week in an interview that he hopes to manage at the World Cup next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Keane took a team from the ar*e end of a league table to win it.

He's a winner, so an assistant's job to a very good manager is nothing that suprises me.

Better than that shower we had previously that's for sure.

Mick McCarthy????

He wouldn't fill Tallaght stadium over here now - Those two would though.

He is a feasible appointment. Hiddink wants to take a breather until next summer, its feasible for Ireland to wait. Appointing a manager for the November Internationals isnt a priority tbh and the manager market is certainly not in our favour at this time of year.

MON/Keane now or wait for better option in the New Year, I'd wait tbh

We can attract Hiddink when he wants to return to football, Denis O'Brien is still bankrolling the FAI. For such a long term appointment, why rush the decision?
    Hiddink as you've pointed out there down to a T would be only interested in us if the money was right for him.

He's a mercenary....

Like... erm..... Our last manager.

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Hiddink as you've pointed out there down to a T would be only interested in us if the money was right for him.

He's a mercenary....

Like... erm..... Our last manager.

Trapattoni, successful mercenary playing football fans loath

Hiddink, successful mercenary playing football fans like

I'm not naive enough to think an elite manager is going to take the job for the love of the game! Yes its all about the money, unfortunately. Dont think for one second that it isnt the driving factor for O'Neill.

Trapattoni, successful mercenary playing football fans loath

Hiddink, successful mercenary playing football fans like

I'm not naive enough to think an elite manager is going to take the job for the love of the game! Yes its all about the money, unfortunately. Dont think for one second that it isnt the driving factor for O'Neill.

I think you could be right there in regards to O'Neil, but Hiddink stinks of going for these type of positions left,right & centre anyway..

Why the hell would anyone be interested in giving Hiddink that job after Trapp??

F.A.I won't go for it & someone like you should know that!

This would be a refreshing move by the F.A.I, not to mention a big load of balls being shown by them for a change.

Hiddink won't pull in crowds.... Lets get real here.

• Advertisement

I think you could be right there in regards to O'Neil, but Hiddink stinks of going for these type of positions left,right & centre anyway..

Why the hell would anyone be interested in giving Hiddink that job after Trapp??

F.A.I won't go for it & someone like you should know that!

This would be a refreshing move by the F.A.I, not to mention a big load of balls being shown by them for a change.

Hiddink won't pull in crowds.... Lets get real here.

RE The Bolded: What you mean by that?

The emphasis should be on the football, the players & supporting them, not the management (i.e. they should not be the focal point) MON/Keane would attract interest for all the wrong reasons imo

RE The Bolded: What you mean by that?

The emphasis should be on the football, the players & supporting them, not the management (i.e. they should not be the focal point) MON/Keane would attract interest for all the wrong reasons imo

Well my opinion on who should be managing will probably come to fruition...

But I love footballl.. but I hate the like's of Capello managing everywhere & stocking up on their pensions without doing much.....

Kinda like Hiddink.

So I'll be a very happy camper if the likes of Hiddink don't manage my country.

4 year contract with the last year paid up....

To a mercanary.. again.

That's what would happen.

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But I love footballl.. but I hate the like's of Capello managing everywhere & stocking up on their pensions without doing much.....

Kinda like Hiddink.

To a mercanary.. again.

IMO

Define a mercenary because, although I don't think he is per se, O'Neill's last 2 jobs in England have been with 2 clubs with rich owners who took over clubs not long before.

Corholio wrote: »
    Define a mercenary because, although I don't think he is per se, O'Neill's last 2 jobs in England have been with 2 clubs with rich owners who took over clubs not long before.
    Keane will bring a balance to this though, although most will laugh at that.

There is absolutely no way I'd go watch an Ireland team managed by hiddink though, Anyone I know falls into that same opinion too.

He can fcuk off. - sorry for my french.

Kinda like Hiddink.

To a mercanary.. again.

IMO

These managers are well travelled because they are headhunted, they are headhunted because they are successful. You rule out alot of people if travelling for work isnt a positive trait tbh.

Who is your choice for the job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement