Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

they would be the dream ticket for me - I have found watching ireland so frustrating (boring) recently - in fact since Keane left - he will put a bit of pride back in the Irish jersey , that has been lacking , certainly for the last 2 years - yeah, the players arnt great , but give a 100% and we can be competetive. So hope Keane and O'Neill come aboard - and wish them the very best.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Dempsey wrote: »
    These managers are well travelled because they are headhunted, they are headhunted because they are successful. You rule out alot of people if travelling for work isnt a positive trait tbh.

Who is your choice for the job?

I'd have picked O'Neil because he's available & has a decent record in a League that's close to us that is at the top of the tree world-wide.

He has a good knowledge of players that come from here, well better than the likes of Hiddink, that's for sure.

Keane has come as a suprise in all honesty...but I'd rather see people manage the team with a bit of heart than a mercenary.

It would honestly sicken me to see Hiddink managing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    I'd have picked O'Neil because he's available & has a decent record in a League that's close to us that is at the top of the tree world-wide.

He has a good knowledge of players that come from here, well better than the likes of Hiddink, that's for sure.

Keane has come as a suprise in all honesty...but I'd rather see people manage the team with a bit of heart than a mercenary.

Hiddink has proven himself a highly adaptable manager & he has managed in England. The territory isnt unfamiliar.

I understand your reasoning and whilst I'd like passion for the Irish job from a manager too, I dont think we can get both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hiddink as you've pointed out there down to a T would be only interested in us if the money was right for him.

He's a mercenary....

Like... erm..... Our last manager.

The only reason O'Neill is taking the job is because there isn't an attractive Premier League job there for him. Make no mistake about it, he held talks with Crystal Palace before finally agreeing to take the Ireland job and would have been appointed Ireland manager about six weeks ago if he hadn't been holding out for a club job to open up.

O'Neill is the same, he wants the best package he can get and finances come into that. In that sense they're both mercenaries!

Hiddink won't pull in the crowds? O'Neill's football will have people poking their eyes out with rusty blades. I don't think people seem to realise just how bad and negative his football is.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Roy certainly wouldn't have any sentimental misgivings about stripping Robbie of the captaincy/ start if he doesn't net against whoever are the big teams next campaign

See, this is the problem. Roy wouldn't be the manager, Martin would. Some people have romantic notions of Roy, that his tough, no nonsense approach will sort everything out. Not so. Roy thought he was head cheese at United and Ireland and look where that got him. I've seen nothing of him to suggest he's matured. Snide swipes at Man Utd and Ireland leads me to believe he's still carrying old grudges. He's not going to take direction from Martin well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Lets face it, MON is a man manager who can get good preformances from avg players. Thats his gig. Wouldnt he be best served bringing someone with some tactical nous, as to me, he seems limited in that dept. Keane definetly is lacking there and seemed to use fear and his playing past to motivate players. Im not red hot on either, but MON and an other is our best option at the minute. Anyone who suggests otherwise should offer alternatives. I have been extremely underwhelmed bu RK as a manager.
    And stuff the "ah it'll make for good tv" crap. We deserve better as a sporting people than the farce this is shaping up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Anyone saying we should give short shrift to any potential appointment of Hiddink really needs to reconsider their stance. He would be nothing short of a dream appointment tbh

population wrote: »
    Anyone saying we should give short shrift to any potential appointment of Hiddink really needs to reconsider their stance. He would be nothing short of a dream appointment tbh

Yeah most clubs would welcome Hiddink never mind Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

population wrote: »

Anyone thinks Hiddink would ever consider Ireland needs to be in a padded room

Anyone thinks Hiddink would ever consider Ireland needs to be in a padded room

Nonsense, Guus likes money and Ireland can offer alot of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ive debated the ins and outs of O'Neill as manager like anyone else, and the big worries about his tactics, flexibility etc, but at the end of the day I'd give any manager the support they deserve starting out.

Keane as assistant is interesting though. Not even close to his biggest fan but absolute born winner and after Trap barely been able to communicate, it certainly won't happen in this regime. Ireland doing well is, at the end of the day, the ultimate goal no matter who's manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Nonsense, Guus likes money and Ireland can offer alot of it.

Do you not think he can get plenty of money else where? He can have his pick of international teams,and as much we would like to think Ireland would be way down the list.

clickhere wrote: »
    Do you not think he can get plenty of money else where? He can have his pick of international teams,and as much we would like to think Ireland would be way down the list.

Already, one of the most successful coaches in world football left a comfortable job to become Ireland manager. Hiddink can have his pick of jobs because he is one of the best but to say he wouldn't even consider Ireland is nonsense really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some wow opinions floating about on here tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

By all reports this seems set to go ahead, bar the formalities.

Always said I wouldn't like to see Keane as Ireland manager, likewise, I'm worried about him in the assistant role. Nothing against him personally, and I've the greatest respect for him as a player, but I just don't rate him as a manager. He did well initially at Sunderland, but done very little positive since that first season. Coming off the back of a managerial reign that was heavily criticised for alienating players, I'd be wary of Keane doing the same thing.

I'm not exactly thrilled with O Neill either. I agree with the points made by other posters regarding working with limited resources and tactical/team choice inflexibility. And his term at Sunderland was nothing less than a disaster. And Villa and Celtic suggest his managerial style isn't viable in the long term.

I suspect this duo will continue a lot of what we saw under Trap in the beginning. A solid, if unexciting, team that work well as a unit but are technically underwhelming. Reliance on the same core group of players and tactics that will see initial success, but becoming less effective as teams figure us out and we can't adapt.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll be 100% behind the team. I really hope I'm wrong and we see a move to a passing style of play with players constantly under competition for their places from fresh blood being introduced. Tactical flexibility will be essential, as we saw with Trap, once teams had us sussed, there wasn't much we could do about it. I'm wrong about plenty of things, and I certainly hope my judgement of this managerial team is one of them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Already, one of the most successful coaches in world football left a comfortable job to become Ireland manager. Hiddink can have his pick of jobs because he is one of the best but to say he would even consider Ireland is nonsense really.

I agree ,i dont think he would even consider Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just not sure what Keane can bring other than agro and drama as a number two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

By all reports this seems set to go ahead, bar the formalities.

Always said I wouldn't like to see Keane as Ireland manager, likewise, I'm worried about him in the assistant role. Nothing against him personally, and I've the greatest respect for him as a player, but I just don't rate him as a manager. He did well initially at Sunderland, but done very little positive since that first season. Coming off the back of a managerial reign that was heavily criticised for alienating players, I'd be wary of Keane doing the same thing.

I'm not exactly thrilled with O Neill either. I agree with the points made by other posters regarding working with limited resources and tactical/team choice inflexibility. And his term at Sunderland was nothing less than a disaster. And Villa and Celtic suggest his managerial style isn't viable in the long term.

I suspect this duo will continue a lot of what we saw under Trap in the beginning. A solid, if unexciting, team that work well as a unit but are technically underwhelming. Reliance on the same core group of players and tactics that will see initial success, but becoming less effective as teams figure us out and we can't adapt.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll be 100% behind the team. I really hope I'm wrong and we see a move to a passing style of play with players constantly under competition for their places from fresh blood being introduced. Tactical flexibility will be essential, as we saw with Trap, once teams had us sussed, there wasn't much we could do about it. I'm wrong about plenty of things, and I certainly hope my judgement of this managerial team is one of them.

Good post.

Just the bit in bold - I think thats the only way that Ireland will be competitve

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Good post.

Just the bit in bold - I think thats the only way that Ireland will be competitve

The solid, if unexciting and working well as a unit isn't meant as a criticism :) I completely agree that we need to get back to being a tough to beat team if we are going to see any success in the near future.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The solid, if unexciting and working well as a unit isn't meant as a criticism :) I completely agree that we need to get back to being a tough to beat team if we are going to see any success in the near future.

Ah right. Well I pretty much agree with it all then. Just like you say hope there is a bit more variation in the play and that players won't be alienated.

It was sad the way things ended under Trap but now it's time where everyone should get behind whoever is appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Keane....a reported €700000 p.a for a part time assistant job is fcuking madness! I don't care who is ponying up, O'Brien/Desmond or whoever. What possible justification is there for paying this guy c14 k per week, especially when MON also wants to bring in his own coach too! ....a very expensive PR stunt that only the FAI could think is a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

By all accounts MON doesn't involve himself in training which just make his appointment seem pretty foolish. I can only assume he'll have to do it now though but if he doesn't like doing it then it doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Already, one of the most successful coaches in world football left a comfortable job to become Ireland manager. Hiddink can have his pick of jobs because he is one of the best but to say he wouldn't even consider Ireland is nonsense really.

While I have no doubt Hiddink would consider it, I would imagine it would be for a sum of around double what MON/RK are getting collectively.

If Desmond was willing to stump up that much I don't see why it would not be a goer. He really would have nothing to lose as I think our trajectory can only go up from here. We should be in with a shout of qualifying for the expanded euros, Guus would walk away with his reputation enhanced everyones a winner. Id doubt Desmond would be willing to stump up 3-4 million a year though.

Keane....a reported €700000 p.a for a part time assistant job is fcuking madness! I don't care who is ponying up, O'Brien/Desmond or whoever. What possible justification is there for paying this guy c14 k per week, especially when MON also wants to bring in his own coach too! ....a very expensive PR stunt that only the FAI could think is a good idea

The FAI will make the cash back on tickets sales on upcoming friendlies.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Add that to what O'Neill will be paid and we could have actually attracted a good manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

FúcKeane O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Robertson coaching would have been an asset, I think at International level preparing the team is even more important and O'Neill has always struggled without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If Hiddink wasn't already on the books of the prospective Galway LOI club I'd be all for his appointment but it just won't happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mick Nugent , co-writer of "I, Keano" ...
    It's fun news, of course, and the good old FAI is still the exploding clown car that keeps giving

I laughed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Robertson coming on board?

If he is I will feel little better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Robertson had a heart attack recently, so wouldn't bet on him being involved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

I find it funny that a man on the record for his disdain for most international friendlies will be in the hot seat for the visit of mighty Latvia :pac: If he didn't think he was in contention he would have been having a moan about it (having said that, while it is no glamour tie we can arguably gain more relevant experience vs a lower European seed than when we play the likes of Brazil and Argentina)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Set to be announced tomorrow from news reports this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This has to be a very bad joke??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Cannot believe this. Are the FAI nuts? This is the same bloke who walked out on his country in 2002 and now the FAI are going to reward him with 700k pa as a secretary to MON.

#BAFFLING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I cant believe how many "yes" votes there are - even more than the combined "no" and "Somebody else" vote.

Boards.ie has spoken and they overwhelmingly think this is the best idea possible for Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

We are crap anyway and wont qualify for the Euros. At least we can have some entertainment in losing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

(Checks today's date...not April Fools...)
    Oh...bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rikand wrote: »
    I cant believe how many "yes" votes there are - even more than the combined "no" and "Somebody else" vote.

Boards.ie has spoken and they overwhelmingly think this is the best idea possible for Ireland!

leave the assistant manager part aside, what other realistic options are there for the manager spot?

right now, i cant see many other alternatives to O Neill. and guus Hiddink is not a realistic option before you mention him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

poteen wrote: »
    We are crap anyway and wont qualify for the Euros. At least we can have some entertainment in losing now.

We have a good chance considering it is being increased to 24 teams this time around

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We have a good chance considering it is being increased to 24 teams this time around

Top 2 in every groups gets though and afaik some of the 3rd place teams get through too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hiddink was never going to get Irish job.

Lets live in real world.

Im disappointed we did not go for Jose, Pep, Fergie or Klopp will be what is said next.

Hiddink was never going to get Irish job.

Lets live in real world.

Im disappointed we did not go for Jose, Pep, Fergie or Klopp will be what is said next.

Tony Pulis with Klopp as number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

wouldve liked to have seen an attempt to get meulensten or whatever his name is,ex united coach on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'd like to have seen Mourinho added to the coaching staff, with possibly Casillas as goalkeeping coach.
    Van Gaal could leave the Dutch job to be a scout for us, as well as doing Total Football sessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McCarthy would be a superior and realistic option. It's not an either / or between this ticket and the likes of Hiddink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Maybe Keane's revenge on the FAI will be to stand passively on the side line, watching Delaney's best laid plans burn to the ground, while Keane pockets 700 K and laughs quietly to himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im hoping it will work in that Keane could reprise something of the role he played as captain at United. Be the managers voice on the pitch, bollock the odd player whos not pulling their weight, get the best out of them generally and drive them forward. The upside his, he doesnt make the decisions, pick the team, have the final say, or deal with the media a whole lot. That way there should be less scope for hassle. I mean you'd imagine it would be helpful that he wont be doing many press conferences, post match talks etc etc as he would eventually castigate a player or the FAI etc! :D Best to keep him in the background and let MON do the diplomacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If the problem was a lack of available options right now then we should have waited until somebody better became available. We've got 9 months until we actually need our international manager to do anything.

People are incorrectly dismissing the fact that we have serious wages to offer for this this job. MON and Keane are poor value for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd like to see the two of them bring in some new players.

Would like to see the likes of Duffy and Cunningham (who has played in defence before) get a good shot.

Advertisement