Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It certainly has a look of being set up for Keane to step into the managerial role once O'Neill goes though, doesn't it.

Only if it ends well. How often does that happen?

If Ireland qualify for Euros. They lose in a penalty shootout to Croatia in the 2nd Round. A heroic loss. The usual sh!te. O'Neill then decides not to continue on and goes back to club management. MAYBE then Keane would get a go.

Actually, there's a strong possibility of this outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is from the comments section on rte.ie's coverage of the MON/Keane appointment...
    Mr Delaney appears yet gain to have pulled another master-stroke. Instead of the focus being on the real issues that Irish football still has to face up to and address to move forward this has been crowded out and lost in fog of the appointment of Mr O'Neill and Roy Keane as his assistant. Mr Delaney is probably sat in his office at Abbotstown right now surrounded by his flunkies all grinning and smiling as they pat each other on the back at a "job" well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Positve scenario:

- Qualify for Euro 2016, 'positive' performance in tournament proper (that could mean a number of things of course);
    - O' Neill announces he is stepping down, proud of his work, praises Keane's input;
    - Keane takes over;
    - O' Neill springboards back into a premiership position;

Negative scenario:

- Don't qualify for Euro 2016 and / or we perform negatively in the tournament proper with media / public condemnation;
    - Stories emerge from 'insiders' in the camp indicating that Keane is the problem. No patience with the players, not comfortable in the #2 role, etc;
    - O' Neill when pressed, simply says that Keane works very hard and is incredibly passionate and it's sometimes hard to know where the line should be drawn with that fierce determination to win;
    - Keane removed;
    - O'Neill gets his contract renewed and guarantees himself another two year last chance saloon;

O'Neill has always been a very smart man in terms of his media dealings and understanding of the right time to walk (Sunderland excepted on the latter point). Make no mistake that he'll be aware of the perception opportunities having Keane along for the ride presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

v3ttel wrote: »
    Seems like criticising MON is the popular thing to do among Villa fans. Lots of willy waving about how rubbish he is, etc etc.

Maybe the standard of football isn't what you expected, or isn't the most attractive, fair enough. Look at the table before, during, and after his time there:

Before MON:16th
    MON: 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th
    After MON: 9th, 15th, 16th

Money or not, the club performed better whilst he was in charge. I think he'll get the best out of the limited group we have at international level. We don't necessarily have the players to play a possession game in any case.

He had brought Celtic to a European final in 2003 (their first since 1970). He made it very, very difficult for the elite European sides to go to Celtic Park and get any sort of result in the Champions League. That was with a very, very limited budget.

All the negativity is way over the top. He is a reasonably good manager, and the type of game he plays probably suits the group of players we have available at the moment. As with David Moyes at United, the manager must be backed to bring in whoever he wants as his staff. If he feels Roy Keane can add something there, fair enough.

Lets hope that Romania don't get two wins in the playoffs to give him the best chance of qualification as second seeds for the Euros.....

Don't disagree with your overall point but why not quote the three years before he joined rather than one and then factor in transfer spend in all those seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems like criticising MON is the popular thing to do among Villa fans. Lots of willy waving about how rubbish he is, etc etc.

Maybe the standard of football isn't what you expected, or isn't the most attractive, fair enough. Look at the table before, during, and after his time there:

Money or not, the club performed better whilst he was in charge. I think he'll get the best out of the limited group we have at international level. We don't necessarily have the players to play a possession game in any case.

He had brought Celtic to a European final in 2003 (their first since 1970). He made it very, very difficult for the elite European sides to go to Celtic Park and get any sort of result in the Champions League. That was with a very, very limited budget.

All the negativity is way over the top. He is a reasonably good manager, and the type of game he plays probably suits the group of players we have available at the moment. As with David Moyes at United, the manager must be backed to bring in whoever he wants as his staff. If he feels Roy Keane can add something there, fair enough.

Lets hope that Romania don't get two wins in the playoffs to give him the best chance of qualification as second seeds for the Euros.....

Who is willy waving, I dont like his style of play or his monotinous unchanging team selections. Whats willy waving about that?

Just because someone disagrees with the appointment doesnt give you the absolute right to slag them off as 'willy wavers'.

Ridiculous.

Any also please explain why fans should 'back the manager on his appointments' everyone is entitled to their opinion, you should learn not to name call a set of people because they have a different opinion to yours.

I agree with Mario, its going to make Apres Match comedic if anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think O'Neill will be an excellent appointment. This one will be a bit different to the usual managemet team where the manager is the hard man and the assistant is the player's friend.

I think it could work out well if we can improve the squad. There are plenty of players out there who have Irish parents/grandparents I'm sure and a manager of O'Neill's profile might be able to attract them to play for Ireland.

I think its a smart move by O'Neill to bring Keane with him. Firstly he will get that pro-Keane section on his side, a group that was likely to be against his appointment as he played for Northern Ireland. Secondly he gets a man who will be fully committed to the job and finally like Lloyd said above, he has somebody to take the fall if things don't go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly he will get that pro-Keane section on his side, a group that was likely to be against his appointment as he played for Northern Ireland.

Dafuq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think O'Neill will be an excellent appointment. This one will be a bit different to the usual managemet team where the manager is the hard man and the assistant is the player's friend.

I think it could work out well if we can improve the squad. There are plenty of players out there who have Irish parents/grandparents I'm sure and a manager of O'Neill's profile might be able to attract them to play for Ireland.

I think its a smart move by O'Neill to bring Keane with him. Firstly he will get that pro-Keane section on his side, a group that was likely to be against his appointment as he played for Northern Ireland. Secondly he gets a man who will be fully committed to the job and finally like Lloyd said above, he has somebody to take the fall if things don't go well.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Absolute rubbish, he spent more money that any other manager in the clubs history and his transfer policy racked up a large debt & crippling wage bill against the club. By comparison, Strachan & Lennon have progressed further in the champions league on lesser resources with far more sustainability.

His style is one of short termism and when his time is up, the has invariably been long term problems waiting to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Aenaes wrote: »
    Dafuq.
    Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    O'Neill played for Northern Ireland and there are a fair few people that wouldn't like him managing the Republic. These people are the ones you would have heard say after Saipan that Keane was right and McCarthy was only an Englishman.

Believe me there were loads of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Eh, what about people like me say who after Saipan said, Keane was right.

That was about it though, nothing needed about anybodys heritage.

Sure he managed Celtic so wouldn't that get the anti English brigade on side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A duo like this was once tried in Holland.
    2 men who used to play football on a high level and both became managers.
    It ended up that the better manager of the 2 was in assited by the better footballer of the 2.

These 2, Advocaat and Van Hanegem, were also really good friends.

Didnt end well, havent spoken to eachother since 2004 until recently.
    And they actually had pretty good players to work with.

This will not end well either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Did you ever stop and think why it might be the popular thing to say from Villa fans?

I don't really mind the appointment at all, nor do I mind Keane, they should get supported definitely. However to criticise Villa fans for having an opinion on one of their own managers is laughable. A lot of the time the people who seem to like him are people who's teams he's never managed.

Will very gladly support O'Neill and Keane though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Managerial partnerships never work anyway, but Roy Keane working alongside someone else would be a hilarious disaster. They'd be at each others throats by the end of the day.

QFT

This won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I did. Players don't work for free.
    Look it's the combination I am not happy with. O'Neill, in my opinion, is a good manager and I thought most fair-minded people took this as the perceived wisdom. The Roy Keane part I just don't understand and as a big fan of the national side I think the FAI has got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Dempsey wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish, he spent more money that any other manager in the clubs history and his transfer policy racked up a large debt & crippling wage bill against the club. By comparison, Strachan & Lennon have progressed further in the champions league on lesser resources with far more sustainability.

His style is one of short termism and when his time is up, the has invariably been long term problems waiting to be addressed.

Racking up wage bills and debt is not an issue with this job.

If Denis O'Brien decides to stop funding the FAI at some point in the future, there may be a problem, but that's for future appointments. Ideally, starting under O'Neill, if Ireland can qualify for Euros and World Cups and become an established side that always qualifies for the top tournaments, then long term the FAI will be able to access funding from those tournament qualifications and Ireland's standing in terms of seeding improves also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

inforfun wrote: »
    A duo like this was once tried in Holland.
    2 men who used to play football on a high level and both became managers.
    It ended up that the better manager of the 2 was in assited by the better footballer of the 2.

These 2, Advocaat and Van Hanegem, were also really good friends.

Didnt end well, havent spoken to eachother since 2004 until recently.
    And they actually had pretty good players to work with.

This will not end well either.

Yeah but that was Netherlands, and this is Ireland.

It worked very well for us before with Robson/Staunton, so why deviate from what works well for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mario Rosenstock will be happy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lennonist wrote: »
    Racking up wage bills and debt is not an issue with this job.

If Denis O'Brien decides to stop funding the FAI at some point in the future, there may be a problem, but that's for future appointments. Ideally, starting under O'Neill, if Ireland can qualify for Euros and World Cups and become an established side that always qualifies for the top tournaments, then long term the FAI will be able to access funding from those tournament qualifications and Ireland's standing in terms of seeding improves also.

Again, I never said it was. Its just an indicator of his other limitations as a manger. Lack of caps in younger players will be the issue with MON. He's not famed for youth development either.

• Advertisement

Yeah but that was Netherlands, and this is Ireland.

It worked very well for us before with Robson/Staunton, so why deviate from what works well for us?

Did it work with those 2? What did they qualify for?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Again, I never said it was. Its just an indicator of his other limitations as a manger. Lack of caps in younger players will be the issue with MON. He's not famed for youth development either.

He'll give young players chances if they are good enough and the opportunities arise, players will not be ignored or sent into exile like in the Trap era.

Every manager has limitations, in O'Neill's case I'm of the view that his attributes significantly outweigh any limitations he may have as a manger.

I'm delighted he is now Ireland's manager, and I'm confident Ireland will have plenty of success with O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Corholio wrote: »
    Did you ever stop and think why it might be the popular thing to say from Villa fans?

Well yes, yes I have, seeing as reading those opinions prompted my reply. In fact, my entire post was an alternative view of things.
    Corholio wrote: »
    I don't really mind the appointment at all, nor do I mind Keane, they should get supported definitely.

Agreed.
    listermint wrote: »
    I dont like his style of play or his monotinous unchanging team selections.

I already addressed this in the original post and will not do so again, suffice to say again, that I think his style may suit the players available to him.
    listermint wrote: »
    Any also please explain why fans should 'back the manager on his appointments

I will not explain something I did not say. I said, the manager must be backed to bring in whoever he wants as his backroom staff. I didn't realise the fans were responsible for bringing in staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Look it's the combination I am not happy with. O'Neill,* in my opinion, is a good manager and I thought most fair-minded people took this as the perceived wisdom. The Roy Keane part I just don't understand and as a big fan of the national side I think the FAI has got it wrong.
    *plus John Robertson.

This is a train wreck just waiting to happen....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I already addressed this in the original post and will not do so again, suffice to say again, that I think his style may suit the players available to him.

Thats great!, But dont go saying im willy waving so you can get a populist thank you. Its childish.

I never wanted this appointment, it looks like we are stuck with it. So be it.

I wont be using childish names for folks with differing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

inforfun wrote: »
    Did it work with those 2? What did they qualify for?

I think he was joking :)

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think he was joking :)

I think i might have missed that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Pro. F wrote: »
    Villa performed better while he was in charge because he spent a lot more money than their other managers. A few sixth place finishes is nothing impressive considering the money he spent.

His budget at Celtic was also huge, by that club's standards, and he had one of the best strikers in the world playing for him.

Also he is currently operating without his favoured assistant who seems to have been the key to what he achieved in the past.

Where would you have expected him to finish with the budget? They couldn't attract the type of player Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool could. So 5th/6th is a good finish.

What did he do wrong at Celtic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Keane know's he'll never get asked to be a club manager again so of course he'd jump at this chance. He is not management material.

I fear the worst.

Who are the coaches if neither of this duo bothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who are the coaches if neither of this duo bothers?

is Steve walford still part of his coaching staff?

• Advertisement

O'Neill/Keane are on UTV tonight for the Man U game. Adrian Chiles will talk to them about it for about 45 seconds in between ad breaks and the Man U match. He might talk to O'Neill about it for 30 seconds and Keane for 15 perhaps.

GBXI wrote: »
    Where would you have expected him to finish with the budget? They couldn't attract the type of player Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool could. So 5th/6th is a good finish.

What did he do wrong at Celtic?

5th or 4th would have been impressive. 6th is no big deal at all when he was spending so much. He didn't need to attract the same players as the CL teams, there's always plenty of quality players to be found and he had plenty of money to spend on getting them. He chose to spend that money on strong athletes more often than skilful footballers, that should sound alarm bells for any fan.

I didn't say he did anything wrong at Celtic. I was correcting the incorrect claim that he did his stuff at Celtic on a very limited budget. The opposite is true.

Edit: I should say that without the possibility of buying players he may push himself and make the most of what he has at his disposal. It would be a bit of a transformation of his style imo, but it could happen. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The amount of negative posts here is depressing.
    Whoever the manager is, would have a huge task ahead of themselves as we dont really have any world class players.
    Looking to the friendlies and next years qualifiers now.
    Hope MON and Keane do well.

If not for the country but to shut some of ye up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

0008170e_642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I am disgusted at the appointment of Keane as assistant (99 per cent certain now). O'Neill is a solid appointment in my opinion, he has the track record and is a decent manager. He worked wonders with an unfashionable but hard-working Leicester in the 90s, and was shafted by Sunderland and Villa. His Villa side at their best were lovely to watch I thought. He was tipped for the England job before Hodgson got it and linked with ROI job as well I recall. He understands football well and coaching and management.
    Keane on the other hand. Whatever one thinks about the man and his character (very little, personally), he has PROVEN himself already that he is a quitter. When the heat got too much at Sunderland and Ipswich he quit. Rubbish manager with zero staying power and a disaster as O'Neill's appointment. It's a pure FAI stunt to get arses on seats. I am ragin'.

The only one shafted in the Sunderland situation was Sunderland, who payed him a salary that made him one of the top 30 highest paid managers in world football while his own work ethic made him more suitable to being a guest on The Jeremy Kyle Show than a football manager.

The amount of negative posts here is depressing.
    Whoever the manager is, would have a huge task ahead of themselves as we dont really have any world class players.

Sure let's not care who is the manager then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

They look happy!

Keane with a creepy smile.

Mon trying to be a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

The whole of Ireland watching ITV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keane "delighted... even if I don't look it!"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Feels like this is a gimmick already

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

How ridiculous is ITV, two minutes into the broadcast and they've gone for an ad break.

1420492_10200745229651491_754270607_n.jpg?oh=172105b8b3f957220def395d62d74013&oe=527ADE37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is going to be very bad. Both of them are poor managers.

I couldn't give flying f*ck about the NT anymore to be honest, and I hate saying that. Trap's anti football, the FAI's treatment of the LOI, Delaney, and now this terrible waste of money is putting me off completely.

I'd wish them all the best but why bother? It's going to end in tears with the NT in an even worse position than it is currently in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

aramush wrote: »
    How ridiculous is ITV, two minutes into the broadcast and they've gone for an ad break.

There will be another one before the game starts :rolleyes:

Feels like this is a gimmick already

bigtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gimmick?

Explain please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So that is that.

Well I have my doubts, but they have my 100% support now.

I hope its huge success no matter what I may feel inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

COYBIG!! 100% behind them aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oat23 wrote: »
    This is going to be very bad. Both of them are poor managers.

We'll have to see how they fair together as an international duo.
    I agree they both don't have a fantastic CV - although Martin did a great job at Leicester and has years of management under his belt. Roy was a world class player and might operate differently at an international assistant level. I'm not holding my breath but lets give them a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Gimmick?

Explain please

The bad cop ****e, the pretending how they don't know how they ended up working together. Stinks of playing up for the papers, who will lap it up of course.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement