Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Didn't they end up together because Martin wanted him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Didn't they end up together because Martin wanted him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The bad cop ****e, the pretending how they don't know how they ended up working together. Stinks of playing up for the papers, who will lap it up of course.

All that strikes me is that the role of assistant manager has suddenly and inexplicably become this massively important role all of a sudden......both with the press and the supporters. I never remember it being this important to everyone when Tardelli, Hughton, Setters etc were given the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Laois_Man wrote: »
    All that strikes me is that the role of assistant manager has suddenly and inexplicably become this massively important role all of a sudden......both with the press and the supporters. I never remember it being this important to everyone when Tardelli, Hughton, Setters etc were given the job!

great point.

in saying that though this is Keane and he may want a bit of the pie.

But it will all come down to MON not Keane when push comes to shove

BYVSPsICYAAt8Jh.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't see any middle ground with this really. It'll either be a huge success or a catastrophic failure.

I'm leaning towards the latter but I'm happy enough to be proven wrong. The only reason I say that is because at the end of his Sunderland tenure his tactics were dreadful with the players he had and Keane is one of the worst man managers going.

It'll certainly pique interest and will see a big influx of people returning for the games which is probably why Keane was added to the mix.

Should be entertaining more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think we will have a fighting chance in making it to Euro 2016

The players are **** and O'Neill has a bit of a track record in turning Crap players into slightly less crap players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

BYVSPsICYAAt8Jh.jpg:large

Their heads look out of proportion compared to their bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

It'll work if Keane sticks to the itty-bitty shíte you might expect an Assistant Manager to concern themselves with - forward planning, minutiae of training and facilities. Hotel flights and rooms come to that.

That's not to denigrate what Roy could offer - no one's said he doesn't have a good footballing head on his shoulders - but simply that O'Neill needs to unequivocally the boss, the tactician, the man manager. Roy has an opportunity to change for the better - perhaps permanently - those thousand and one things that drove him shítless as a Republic of Ireland player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't see any middle ground with this really. It'll either be a huge success or a catastrophic failure.

I'm leaning towards the latter but I'm happy enough to be proven wrong. The only reason I say that is because at the end of his Sunderland tenure his tactics were dreadful with the players he had and Keane is one of the worst man managers going.

It'll certainly pique interest and will see a big influx of people returning for the games which is probably why Keane was added to the mix.

Should be entertaining more than anything.

Keane was added to the mix because O'Neill wanted him. The FAI wanted O'Neill, they didn't want Keane, but Delaney made it clear that he was prepared to agree to whatever backroom team O'Neill wanted in order to get him in as manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

€200/250,000 pa+ on offer plus expenses and add ons why would anyone refuse the job?

Good point but it doesnt relate to what I asked :pac:

MON

Thats surprising tbh. I wont have thought MON would have wanted some for forthright as Roy onboard.

Predictions anyone?
    I'll guess that things will start out fairly well for the first 6-9 months after the world cup including one result that will be held on to closely by those who'll always defend them. Things will then wind down til the last match with mediocre results but, depending on fixtures, still a chance of qualifying til the second to last match and maybe even he last match. The poor results towards the end of the campaign will be justified by the decent results beforehand and the following campaign will be much like the one we've just witnessed before people decide to give up on it.

Or someone will have a meltdown before the end of next year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Predictions anyone?
    I'll guess that things will start out fairly well for the first 6-9 months after the world cup including one result that will be held on to closely by those who'll always defend them. Things will then wind down til the last match with mediocre results but, depending on fixtures, still a chance of qualifying til the second to last match and maybe even he last match. The poor results towards the end of the campaign will be justified by the decent results beforehand and the following campaign will be much like the one we've just witnessed before people decide to give up on it.

I think you've been reading too much of the negative nonsense that's been posted by some on these pages. I predict qualification for Euro 2016 and a good showing in the competition if/when they get there for starters. I predict success for Ireland under O'Neill and Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

QFT

This won't end well.
    QFT.

What does that mean?
    Not QFD surely?

I thought that John Delaney gave a pretty decent interview on Today FM. It seems that there are no lingering issues with Roy.

Let's hope that the positive people are right about this as it beats the last regime hands down in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

When all the dust settles lads, at least we'll have another musical to look forward to! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Duck Soup wrote: »
    It'll work if Keane sticks to the itty-bitty shíte you might expect an Assistant Manager to concern themselves with - forward planning, minutiae of training and facilities. Hotel flights and rooms come to that.

That's not to denigrate what Roy could offer - no one's said he doesn't have a good footballing head on his shoulders - but simply that O'Neill needs to unequivocally the boss, the tactician, the man manager. Roy has an opportunity to change for the better - perhaps permanently - those thousand and one things that drove him shítless as a Republic of Ireland player.

If Roy's really enthusiastic about making changes to the set up, his real blow up potential could come from if/when Roy is met with hand wringing, red faced, apologetic and bureaucratic guff from Delaney and Co. when he tries to actually do anything.

Lennonist wrote: »
    I think you've been reading too much of the negative nonsense that's been posted by some on these pages. I predict qualification for Euro 2016 and a good showing in the competition if/when they get there for starters. I predict success for Ireland under O'Neill and Keane.
    You're right, I'd forgotten the expansion to 24 teams :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Love the way certain people in this Country are hoping they fail because they dont agree with the appointment.

I think this is just a British/Irish thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the two of them were wearing poppys on tv tonight, that won't go down well with the celtic element for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Predictions anyone?

All based on a group that hasn't even been drawn yet. It's nonsense like this that has me convinced that some people on here just want MON/Keane to fail.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    the two of them were wearing poppys on tv tonight, that won't go down well with the celtic element for a start

That wont go down with certain members/minority of the Celtic support u mean

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    All based on a group that hasn't even been drawn yet. It's nonsense like this that has me convinced that some people on here just want MON/Keane to fail.

Ah dry yer feckin eyes. What makes you confident they'll do well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It doesn't bother me or the vast majority of Celtic supporters I know. Perhaps most Celtic fans aren't as narrow minded as you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'll give you my prediction when the group is drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Still a bit mad all the same how Martin O'Neill would wear a poppy, given he's from Derry and all that

Nobody can make a prediction on how we will do if we dont even know what the group is.

Thats like saying England def wont get out of the group at the World Cup before you even know who there playing

Nobody can make a prediction on how we will do if we dont even know what the group is.

Thats like saying England def wont get out of the group at the World Cup before you even know who there playing

I'd forgotten about the expansion to 24 teams, if it had been left alone I would make the prediction whatever the group because there'll always be at least 2 better teams in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

O Neill looks terrified of Keane :eek:

Love the way certain people in this Country are hoping they fail because they dont agree with the appointment.

I think this is just a British/Irish thing

Who is?

Just wondering as I'm yet to meet one

• Advertisement

Poppy would be the last thing I be worried about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

A priest and a mad cork man, perfect!

I'd forgotten about the expansion to 24 teams, if it had been left alone I would make the prediction whatever the group because there'll always be at least 2 better teams in the group.

We could end up as 3rd seeds and the top 2 seeds in the group could be Greece and Hungary.
    Its not guaranteed that there will be 2 better teams than us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Watching TV3...Brian Kerr hasnt half run away from his comments he made about a member of the FAI meeting O'Neill before the sweeden game...fecking eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Money, utv would never allow them to refuse to wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Just seen the end of match interview with keane and MON and keane himself came across as pretty humbling if im to be honest. He said he was grateful to be given the opportunity to manage again. I think people should get over the whole Saipan thing and get behind the new management team and the boys in green.

• Advertisement

Do you know that for certain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Do you know that for certain?

No just my opinion, that's all I can base my view on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No just my opinion, that's all I can base my view on.

I can tell you for certain that you are asked about wearing one on the Beeb. I suspect that ITV is the same. Some chose not to wear one, most do. Keane isn't the type of man who wouldn't wear one if he didn't want to and neither are short of a few bob, so money has nothing to do with it.

Looks like this is a done deal, contracts signed according to TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So that is that.

Well I have my doubts, but they have my 100% support now.

I hope its huge success no matter what I may feel inside.

Totally agree
    Now that it's done and dusted I am looking forward to their tenure with the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not the biggest fan of Keane great player but a bit of knob really.

But am more than willing to see how him and O'Neill get on before I judge or loose the plot can't be any worse than Trap imo. Keane came across really well in the interview shown on TV3 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Gringo180 wrote: »
    O Neill looks terrified of Keane :eek:

On the contrary. I thought he looked like he knew that he was the one in charge and that Keane knew it. Keane was the one that looked the 'less authoritative' of the two. I can't see O'Neill putting up with anything from Keane - or anyone else that was his assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Two big egos together won't work. Would have preferred if O'Neill had John Robertson as his no.2 like usual (another Forest legend) but he's recovering from a heart attack. I don't think O Neill can keep Keane in check. Keane is too fiery to accept being No.2. It can only end in tears. O'Neill's football style is long ball "chuck it down the flanks" style. Wouldn't be a fan, but on the plus side,his teams do keep clean sheets & are good on counter attack. Hope I'm wrong about Roy but I think not. They have my 100% backing regardless of how I think it will pan out.

One thing is certain - it won't be boring like Trap's tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nothing to do with UTV, O'Neill and Keane were working for the ITV Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

grenache wrote: »
    Two big egos together won't work. Would have preferred if O'Neill had John Robertson as his no.2 like usual (another Forest legend) but he's recovering from a heart attack. I don't think O Neill can keep Keane in check. Keane is too fiery to accept being No.2. It can only end in tears. O'Neill's football style is long ball "chuck it down the flanks" style. Wouldn't be a fan, but on the plus side,his teams do keep clean sheets & are good on counter attack. Hope I'm wrong about Roy but I think not. They have my 100% backing regardless of how I think it will pan out.

One thing is certain - it won't be boring like Trap's tenure.

MON didn't have Robertson with him at Sunderland so who knows whether he would have wanted him even if he was able to take the job.

It's time for people to stop complaining and get behind the team again. It's a brave choice but I think it's what we need. Hopefully the players will start playing with some heart again and given a bit more freedom on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Our team always plays with great heart in fairness to it, never ever for lack if trying.

We need somebody to show them how not to treat the ball like a hot potato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

YayaBanana wrote: »
    MON didn't have Robertson with him at Sunderland so who knows whether he would have wanted him even if he was able to take the job.
    That's what worries me though, his time at Sunderland overall was not a success. And I don't think it's any co-incidence that Robertson wasn't there. Now, it could just be that the job was a poisoned chalice, but I think there's more to it than that. Robertson is the tactician, somebody O'Neill could go to for advice and bounce ideas off. I don't see O'Neill or Keane as being great tacticians. And every team needs one of those on the sideline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I will be supportive of their efforts as any other supposed Irish supporter should be. They will do their best and if MON can become the fourth man to take us to a major tournament after Jack, Mick and Trap then great stuff.

What fascinates me is how the personalities will work. My understanding of Martin's style of management is that it's very much based on instilling self-belief in players and convincing them that they are great talents. I think it was Muzzy Izzet that was on Sky's Fantasy Football show recently talking about how O'Neill would convince the players even if they were somewhere like Old Trafford that they were just as good as the players in the other dressing room. He also talked about how O'Neill could laugh and joke with the players. I'm reminded too of a game many may remember: when Villa beat Everton 3-2 a few years back in a dramatic game. I think Ashley Young got the winner that night. I remember after the game MON running on the pitch towars Young and telling him that he was world class. This speaks to O'Neill's style of coaching: bigging the players up and making them walk taller than before.

But then you've got Roy Keane. The guy who when he was at Ipswich warned his players to stop hyping up Connor Wickham. The guy who criticised United's young players like Jones, Smalling etc. a few years back and said they should buck up their ideas. A man who seems to believe the very opposite about bigging up players and feels instead that they should all be kept in line rigidly. That's not even going into the issues he's got with players already in the squad like McGeady and Walters.

This is what fascinates me. How can these seemingly contradictory approaches to man management coalesce and function in a winning capacity? Will we have a more mellow Keane in contrast to previous occasions? Will MON deliberately apply the softly, softly approach for himself and leave Keane as the hard taskmaster? How will the senior players like Robbie, Richard and O'Shea take to the whole process?

It is going to be very interesting to observe how it all pans out but I do think people need to be realistic about what can they achieve. I would be particularly hopeful that their forceful personalities might lead to significant changes with regards the development of players and to ensure that the likes of Noel King are left in no doubt about what's required from the players coming up. As Niall Quinn said, the influence of these men could be quite productive on the young hopefuls coming through.

Irish football needs big changes but I'm more optimistic now with Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane in there than I was a week ago. Keane was able to force changes within the FAI from the outside - now he is on the inside and I think there is more chance of Keane changing the organisation's attitudes than the other way around. That, to me, can only be a good thing. Perhaps therein lies O'Neill's logic. Who better to hold the FAI to rights than Roy Keane?

I can understand people's concerns but away from the media caricatures of the quiet, eccentric Professor in O'Neill and the fiery, brooding troublemaker Keane, we actually have in reality two very asture, shrewd, intelligent men in there who I'm sure will approach this with big enthusiasm and passion.

Let's give it a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I remember watching the build-up to the Ireland v Italy Quarter Final in the 1990 World Cup on RTE.

There were discussions in the studio, videos from the Supporters in Rome and interviews with the Irish management and players. The tone of every contributor was "we've had a great tournament - this will be a wonderful place to finish it". Everyone was talking as if we had lost already.

I distinctly remember Martin O'Neill coming onto the RTE Panel before the match - he was very annoyed at the tone of the broadcast and reminded everyone that Ireland had a good chance of winning. He was completely right. I remember thinking he had the right idea about football, and that I would love to see him manage Ireland one day.

It only took 23 years but I'm glad the day has come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Has anyone any idea of what they'll nickname Martin O'Neill in the press? The criteria seems to limit names to 1 syllable.

Jack, Mick, Stan, Trap, Mart?

I can think of a few 1 syllable words to nickname Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

GSPfan wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of what they'll nickname Martin O'Neill in the press? The criteria seems to limit names to 1 syllable.

Jack, Mick, Stan, Trap, Mart?

I can think of a few 1 syllable words to nickname Keane.

Meane?

• Advertisement
Advertisement