Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill/Keane combo for the Ireland job.Yes,No,or maybe?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

So if they both bought loads of Irish players when managing Sunderland...does this mean we're going to see loads of Sunderland players called up to the Ireland squad...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

GSPfan wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of what they'll nickname Martin O'Neill in the press? The criteria seems to limit names to 1 syllable.

Jack, Mick, Stan, Trap, Mart?

I can think of a few 1 syllable words to nickname Keane.

MON :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GSPfan wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea of what they'll nickname Martin O'Neill in the press? The criteria seems to limit names to 1 syllable.

Jack, Mick, Stan, Trap, Mart?

I can think of a few 1 syllable words to nickname Keane.

MON for the gaffer
    For Keane BOSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭AnarchistKen

dixiefly wrote: »
    QFT.

What does that mean?
    Not QFD surely?

I thought that John Delaney gave a pretty decent interview on Today FM. It seems that there are no lingering issues with Roy.

Let's hope that the positive people are right about this as it beats the last regime hands down in my opinion.

Me too I have to say, I think he's a personable chap when it comes down to it and this is probably the master stroke of his career with the FAI.

I personally hope it works out and the two men give us some good results and restore the bit of pride we used to carry in the green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If nothing else Dunphy will have to search for a new line. Surely he won't have the brass neck to moan about 'real Irish football people' (meaning him and Giles and absolutely nobody else). Then there was Keane saying Trapatoni should sleep on Stephen Ireland's sofa until he agrees to come back. I wonder how he will feel about a stint of sofa-surfing now?

We now have two former European Champions who have played at the highest level, managed in the PL with detailed knowledge of all Irish players and an insight into the Irish character. This is going to be great - on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I actually thought it was some kind of wind up when I heard it first.

It's O' Neil's place to pick his management team and I can only assume he knows his job.

Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It'd be great if they could somehow convince the IFA to join up with the FAI and create an all-Ireland football team.
    Jointly managed under MON and Keane.
    Could really give a boost to our chances and finally drop that annoying ROI moniker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

enda1 wrote: »
    It'd be great if they could somehow convince the IFA to join up with the FAI and create an all-Ireland football team.
    Could really give a boost to our chances and finally drop that annoying ROI moniker.

No thanks they can keep them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That would be great along with an all Ireland league. Unfortunately politics will get in the way of common sense here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    the two of them were wearing poppys on tv tonight, that won't go down well with the celtic element for a start
    RoryMac wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me or the vast majority of Celtic supporters I know. Perhaps most Celtic fans aren't as narrow minded as you

it doesn't bother me either

but there is an element amongst the celtic contingent that do have a problem with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

but there is an element amongst the celtic contingent that do have a problem with it

The problem with the poppy isn't confined to an element of Celtic supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No thanks.

I enjoy being able to go to Ireland games knowing that it will be about the football. There wont be riots or protests or fights. There will be a game of football with everyone in the ground there to support the team and not advance some agenda.

Combining with the IFA would cause nothing but trouble at every match and would discourage regular fans like myself from going. The element it would attract would sour the whole thing.

Call me crazy but I like my football to be about football, not politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Never going to happen unless/until there is a United Ireland.

Also, It would be a bit harsh on Martin O'Neill to demote him to Joint Manager just to have an equal North/South balance!

Skid X wrote: »
    Never going to happen unless/until there is a United Ireland.

Also, It would be a bit harsh on Martin O'Neill to demote him to Joint Manager just to have an equal North/South balance!

Sorry I didn't mean jointly managed (even though I wrote it:P) I really meant the management structure as it will be under MON and Roy, with MON as #1.

I think if the carrot of actual success was offered anything could happen.

Kirby wrote: »
    No thanks.

I enjoy being able to go to Ireland games knowing that it will be about the football. There wont be riots or protests or fights. There will be a game of football with everyone in the ground there to support the team and not advance some agenda.

Combining with the IFA would cause nothing but trouble at every match and would discourage regular fans like myself from going. The element it would attract would sour the whole thing.

Call me crazy but I like my football to be about football, not politics.

I actually have little interest in a United Ireland, but do have an interest in a decent football team. So if we can all just get along maybe we could jointly compete properly on the world stage.

I think also that if the teams were joined, there would be less of the Republican element and Celtic-jersey wearing nonsense because the meaning would be gone from the issue. Maybe I'm wrong though, it's just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I actually have little interest in a United Ireland, but do have an interest in a decent football team. So if we can all just get along maybe we could jointly compete properly on the world stage.

I think also that if the teams were joined, there would be less of the Republican element and Celtic-jersey wearing nonsense because the meaning would be gone from the issue. Maybe I'm wrong though, it's just an idea.

there would be murder at the first match and then following this the HOME fans would have to be segragated

an appalling vista wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not as much about the poppy as about the forcing of all clubs and players to wear it regardless of their personal view. Anyway going way off topic now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

One plus with the Keane appointment is we shouldnt see Paul McShane near the team any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Whatever about McShane, the new management team will not just be able to magic new players out of nowhere.
    There will still be some poor players in our squad, regardless of management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I reckon it will likely be a disaster but for the first time in a long time, Im actually interested in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

This is a change. Brady is being negative about the management team while Dunphy and Giles are being positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Whatever about McShane, the new management team will not just be able to magic new players out of nowhere.
    There will still be some poor players in our squad, regardless of management

There will be poor players according to the media but if the manager gets them to perform, they'll be good after the fact. People were on here supporting feckin' Paul Green after he put in a decent shift in the Swedish away game and saying how he should be included for the Austria home fixture. The players will only be as good or bad as the quality of their game and memory is short on this stat, even. If the team's playing well and getting results, whatever preconceptions are being held about some players won't matter. They will, of course, rear their head if things are going pear-shaped though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bill won't be around for the euros he just said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Why wont Bill be around for the Euro's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is a change. Brady is being negative about the management team while Dunphy and Giles are being positive.

If we got Jose and Pep in Brady would be pissed off.

A Trap lover dont forget.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Headshot wrote: »
    Why wont Bill be around for the Euro's?

I think he has already said that the WC will be his last stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

mewso wrote: »
    I think he has already said that the WC will be his last stint.

Sure he only waited until he was 75, that's early retirement by RTE standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wont be same without Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

LOL, just remembered how some people were pissed off about Ian Harte not being selected a few months ago. Who reckons he will be getting a look in now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wont be same without Bill.

Oke-dok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

I wasn't too happy at the start,
    but it's time to get behind these lads. It's the best managerial partnership we've had in awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I honestly don't see how football fans can think this is a good idea or how the hell it is going to work?????

I mean have many of you just forgotten Roy Keane's numerous examples of his true personality? The personality that made him a truly great DM but its the same one that makes him hate people in general.

A truly great manager Fergie got rid of this guy ASAP when his best days were behind him on the pitch. He knew that his personality was toxic to other players and this Keane has shown to be true in his managerial history to date.

Keane is a phycopatic human being and this is IMO the biggest managerial mess up the FAI have ever made. A leopard doesn't change his stripes.

And I have to really question MON now for actually thinking this is a good idea in some way? He will see his mistake at some point when Keane will bite the hand that has fed him. This is a certainty.

Even without all this extra baggage which we don't need, MON is not suited into international football as his style of football is anti possession which is what we needed from a new manager.

We needed a guy to come in and get the team passing it again like we did under McCarthy. We needed someone to come in with this belief and to also instil confidence in the players. And Keane will do nothing but instil fear and intimidation in our players. Doomed to fail big time because of so many reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

CucaFace wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how football fans can think this is a good idea or how the hell it is going to work?????

I mean have many of you just forgotten Roy Keane's numerous examples of his true personality? The personality that made him a truly great DM but its the same one that makes him hate people in general.

A truly great manager Fergie got rid of this guy ASAP when his best days were behind him on the pitch. He knew that his personality was toxic to other players and this Keane has shown to be true in his managerial history to date.

Keane is a phycopatic human being and this is IMO the biggest managerial mess up the FAI have ever made. A leopard doesn't change his stripes.

And I have to really question MON now for actually thinking this is a good idea in some way? He will see his mistake at some point when Keane will bite the hand that has fed him. This is a certainty.

Even without all this extra baggage which we don't need, MON is not suited into international football as his style of football is anti possession which is what we needed from a new manager.

We needed a guy to come in and get the team passing it again like we did under McCarthy. We needed someone to come in with this belief and to also instil confidence in the players. And Keane will do nothing but instil fear and intimidation in our players. Doomed to fail big time because of so many reasons.

I think you might have scuttled your own argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Ha ha. Disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Animal analogies aside, the above point sums up the main concern of fans.

One half saying he's nuts and will flip out, the other half hoping he's matured and mellowed, and has been working hard the last 2 years since he was sacked, trying to improve his shortcomings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Aenaes wrote: »
    LOL, just remembered how some people were pissed off about Ian Harte not being selected a few months ago. Who reckons he will be getting a look in now?

I think more people were annoyed that Trap didn't realise that Harte was Irish. That's the level if scouting he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I think more people were annoyed that Trap didn't realise that Harte was Irish. That's the level if scouting he did.

So said Harte, Trapattoni said otherwise. Of course it's easier to believe Harte because it makes a better story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Skid X wrote: »
    I remember watching the build-up to the Ireland v Italy Quarter Final in the 1990 World Cup on RTE.

There were discussions in the studio, videos from the Supporters in Rome and interviews with the Irish management and players. The tone of every contributor was "we've had a great tournament - this will be a wonderful place to finish it". Everyone was talking as if we had lost already.

I distinctly remember Martin O'Neill coming onto the RTE Panel before the match - he was very annoyed at the tone of the broadcast and reminded everyone that Ireland had a good chance of winning. He was completely right. I remember thinking he had the right idea about football, and that I would love to see him manage Ireland one day.

It only took 23 years but I'm glad the day has come.

For some reason that made me well up :'(
    Good luck MON and Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The amount of negative posts here is depressing.
    Whoever the manager is, would have a huge task ahead of themselves as we dont really have any world class players.
    Looking to the friendlies and next years qualifiers now.
    Hope MON and Keane do well.

If not for the country but to shut some of ye up !

We've come full circle!

I think its an appointment of limited ambition.

Our stock is higher now than it was before Trap took over but we seem to have settled on whatever would satisfy the average Celtic fan in Ireland.

If the FAI had reached out there and contacted half a dozen or so quality managers, and they all said no, then fair enough. However, it seems like this was the limit of their ambition from the get-go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

On paper the appointment is attractive but in reality I think it's flawed. Both men are hardly in demand and have been failures of late. I used to be a big fan of Keane but now I think he is not the type of person whose job should be people-based. He's an animal and a bully. This nonsense of 'Keane got frustrated and angry with players because they weren't in the same league as him'. As if that somehow makes it ok. He gets angry with people because he's not a people person. Of course I don't know him personally but have read his book, Fergie's book, articles about his Ipswich days and so on. I feel this will be his last gig in football. He has a good career in TV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Any word what time the press conference is tomorrow and if it will be televised?

On paper the appointment is attractive but in reality I think it's flawed. Both men are hardly in demand and have been failures of late. I used to be a big fan of Keane but now I think he is not the type of person whose job should be people-based. He's an animal and a bully. This nonsense of 'Keane got frustrated and angry with players because they weren't in the same league as him'. As if that somehow makes it ok. He gets angry with people because he's not a people person. Of course I don't know him personally but have read his book, Fergie's book, articles about his Ipswich days and so on. I feel this will be his last gig in football. He has a good career in TV though.

Ireland are ranked 60th between Cameroon and Libya. We are not going to be in the world cup either.

Do you really think and successful good managers would want to manage this basket case? It's obvious that either we had to go for managers with some success but also some failures - middle of the road managers, or else an up and coming manager from within or from without without any lead management experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Personally I'm happy for high profile Irishmen, with high level managerial experience, to take over.

(However, neither of these lads have success or experience comparable to Trap.)

Given the talent available to us what would we regard as success over the next 3 campaigns???

I'd bite your hand off for 2 second place finishes in the next 3 campaigns.

(Similar to Trap really.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Think you've just been focusing on the bad reports. There have been some good ones as well!

"Playing under Roy Keane is easy," said the Ipswich and former Ireland striker Daryl Murphy. "If you work hard, he praises you. If you don't, you get criticised. He's a fairer man than people give him credit for."

Advertisement