Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding a power point

• 02-11-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

I want to add a cigarette type socket to the bike and I am wondering which is the best way to go.
    There is a lead already connected to the battery(see below)
    Is there any sort of adaptor on the market that I could just plug into this lead?
    I'd prefer not to have too many wires connected to the battery so I was hoping this lead could be put to use for a couple of things.
    Electrics definitely not my strong point so any input is appreciated!
    photo_zps642fed81.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

What do you intend in using the power point for?

If its something which will be permanently connected you would be better off wiring it up to a switch so that it doesn't drain your battery.

Not sure what sort of socket that is in the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hi BrokenArrows.
    The socket I want to fit would be for charging phone/Sat Nav etc.
    The lead in the pic is for heated clothing.
    It was on the bike when I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

eBay is your friend here, something like this might work:
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/waterproof-cigarette-lighter-socket

But as brokenarrow said, this will be on all the time, even when the bike is off, so you might need something with a relay to the ignition, so it only comes on with the bike.

What are you planning to power from the socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_c wrote: »

But as brokenarrow said, this will be on all the time, even when the bike is off, so you might need something with a relay to the ignition, so it only comes on with the bike.

I got something similar for my last bike. Wired it into the rear brake light circuit after reading up on a bike specific forum.

colm_c wrote: »

I have the socket ordered.
    It's just to charge a phone etc. on the go.
    Do u mean it would draw power even when nothing is plugged in?
    Del2005 wrote: »
    I got something similar for my last bike. Wired it into the rear brake light circuit after reading up on a bike specific forum.
    Do u think I can use the existing lead that I have?

• Advertisement

Came across this but I am not sure if it's a standard cigarette lighter socket but it does look like it would plug straight into the lead I have already
    http://m.cruisercustomizing.com/6-in-bmw-style-socket-to-dc-coax-plug/part/FIRST-51-2831?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

blade1 wrote: »
    I have the socket ordered.
    It's just to charge a phone etc. on the go.
    Do u mean it would draw power even when nothing is plugged in?

Do u think I can use the existing lead that I have?

If your charging a phone or satnav you will be fine.

Its more if you are powering something permanently connected to the bike. If you forget to turn it off it will drain your battery. Eg. Heated grips.

If your charging a phone or satnav you will be fine.

Its more if you are powering something permanently connected to the bike. If you forget to turn it off it will drain your battery. Eg. Heated grips.

Ah, got ya!
    No, there wouldn't be anything left in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Came across this but I am not sure if it's a standard cigarette lighter socket but it does look like it would plug straight into the lead I have already
    http://m.cruisercustomizing.com/6-in-bmw-style-socket-to-dc-coax-plug/part/FIRST-51-2831?

That "BMW style" socket is not a standard cig lighter socket. It's smaller. It's a DIN or Hella socket. You can use it but be sure you get matching plugs and sockets. (They're often available at a good price from agriculture supply shops but without leads attached)

On the other end of the lead - that "DC Co-ax plug"? It looks right but it's hard to tell. If possible bring your lead to the shop to check.

Personally I'd remove the existing lead and use two basic ring connectors to attach to the battery. Probably the cheapest option - and surest to avoid returning bits to the shop!.

Also ensure you have a fuse of the correct rating on the line.
    Do get your cig. (or DIN) socket with a cap to protect from rain.

That "BMW style" socket is not a standard cig lighter socket. It's smaller. It's a DIN or Hella socket. You can use it but be sure you get matching plugs and sockets. (They're often available at a good price from agriculture supply shops but without leads attached)

On the other end of the lead - that "DC Co-ax plug"? It looks right but it's hard to tell. If possible bring your lead to the shop to check.

Personally I'd remove the existing lead and use two basic ring connectors to attach to the battery. Probably the cheapest option - and surest to avoid returning bits to the shop!.

Also ensure you have a fuse of the correct rating on the line.
    Do get your cig. (or DIN) socket with a cap to protect from rain.

Yes, will probably just disconnect the lead that there already.
    Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Yes, will probably just disconnect the lead that there already.
    Thanks for the info

Best thing to do is buy an auto relay. It's easy enough to fit really. You just connect your 12v direct from your battery to one side of the relay and from the other side of the relay to the 12v socket. Then you just need a 12v Ignition live to switch the relay on and off with the bike. I recommend using a 12v switch wire connected to your number plate light as it is easy to get too on most bikes and of your DIY electrics goes bad at anytime it's only your reg light u should loose.

In the case of a sat nav or phone a switched power supply might not be suitable. Maybe the sat nav will switch off when the ignition is off. Not suitable for short stops such as fuel stops.
    Also it 's useful to be able to charge the phone/sat nav overnight when ignition is off.

Another advantage is being able to connect a trickle charger.

(PS I mentioned "Hella" earlier. I'm not sure that's the right name. Stick with the DIN name instead. Actually I prefer these to the standard cig lighter skt 'cos the DIN skt is smaller and compact)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In the case of a sat nav or phone a switched power supply might not be suitable. Maybe the sat nav will switch off when the ignition is off. Not suitable for short stops such as fuel stops.
    Also it 's useful to be able to charge the phone/sat nav overnight when ignition is off.

Another advantage is being able to connect a trickle charger.

(PS I mentioned "Hella" earlier. I'm not sure that's the right name. Stick with the DIN name instead. Actually I prefer these to the standard cig lighter skt 'cos the DIN skt is smaller and compact)

I wouldn't leave anything charging on a bike overnight, there's no point in having a fully charged phone/GPS and a dead bike. Better off buying something like this if your going to be off grid.

Hard wiring a lead for a trickle charger is a good idea not sure if using a cig plug is.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I wouldn't leave anything charging on a bike overnight, there's no point in having a fully charged phone/GPS and a dead bike. Better off buying something like this if your going to be off grid.

Hard wiring a lead for a trickle charger is a good idea not sure if using a cig plug is.

It's really unlikely a sat nav or phone would flatten a mcycle battery overnight unless there was a defect somewhere. But charging devices when off the bike is secondary.
    More important is how the sat nav behaves when when external power is removed. Maybe OP is happy for it to switch off.

BMW have been fitting powered (ie. no need for ignition on) DIN sockets as standard for decades without problems.

OP, once you have a socket you can think of all the devices to plug in to it - camping light, emergency light, solar panel, air compressor, even jump leads if the wiring was heavy enough.
    Just make sure it's fused.

It would really be only for a sat nav or charging my phone between stops if I go touring next summer.
    This is the one I ordered
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/180852465525?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Touring you say... well then you'll need a little 12V kettle and maybe a toaster.

Advertisement