Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi - Dalrida (Knocklyon/Ballycullen?

Options
  • 02-11-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Anyone hear anything about an Aldi setting up shop on some of the waste ground in the Dalrida estate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

bigburdy wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about an Aldi setting up shop on some of the waste ground in the Dalrida estate?

Haven't heard anything about this. Is this separate to the Lidl that's being built at the moment on the oldcourt road? An Aldi close by would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

fondue wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything about this. Is this separate to the Lidl that's being built at the moment on the oldcourt road? An Aldi close by would be great!

Yes, it's over in Dalrida. Beside the roundabout at Hunterswood.
    The Lidl is in Beechdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Interesting, where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I haven't found any thing to support this. The Ballycullen/Oldcourt local area plan has just been updated.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/ongoing/public-consultation-for-draft-ballycullen-oldcourt-local

Areas around Dalraida are zoned residential - the retail areas are the Lidl at Beechdale and a neighbourhood center near Stocking Wood

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

Could it be one of the shops that's going in the neighbourhood center in Stocking Wood?

I can't back this up or anything, it was just a neighbour who said they had heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Haven't heard anything about it. Big apartment blocks were supposed to be built on the empty land at Dalriada. I haven't noticed any planning application signs for this to be changed to a retail development

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

The planning permission for Dalriada to be completed has just been passed as per the below links. No mention of any space for shops though.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD09A/0001&

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD13A/0005

Its good to see the Lidl opening in the area. Hopefully thats the start of the redevelopment of the local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robsom

Someone told me and they seemed sure of it that there will be an Aldi replacing Mortons pub on the Firhouse Road. Again I have nothing to back this up but wondering if anyone heard the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I haven't heard anything about Aldi replacing Morton's but I did hear Morton's was closed for a while.
    Is that still the case?

Used to be a nice little pub til all the decent barmen left.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

I didn't realise Mortons was closed. Would be nice to have an Aldi in the area, although Lidl has been great since it opened, its always very busy so it appears it was well needed in the area.

Does anybody know what the process is for implementation of the Ballycullen/Oldcourt local area plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Annalis

robsom wrote: »
    Someone told me and they seemed sure of it that there will be an Aldi replacing Mortons pub on the Firhouse Road. Again I have nothing to back this up but wondering if anyone heard the same?

Find that hard to believe. Parking alone could not be facilitated?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's on a big enough site with the carpark out front. However, Morton's is still open so not sure where the rumour is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Synode wrote: »
    It's on a big enough site with the carpark out front. However, Morton's is still open so not sure where the rumour is coming from

I've a feeling Mortons own The Speaker Connolly up the road and that's where the Aldi could be going.

Would they put one in the same complex as the SuperValu or what ever is there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Dice75 wrote: »
    I've a feeling Mortons own The Speaker Connolly up the road and that's where the Aldi could be going.

Would they put one in the same complex as the SuperValu or what ever is there already?

Harry Morton has a half share in the Speaker with Jim Murphy who owns The Dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Dice75 wrote: »

I think it'd be damn easy for Supervalu to appeal any PP for a new supermarket literally a stones throw away from an exisitng one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Interesting. The Speaker has been a ghost town for ages now.

Cant see how youd fit an ALDI on Mortons site. There would be massive objections from SuperValu - mind you they mounted a detailed objection to LIDL Ballycullen and it was ignored (as were all the local residents concerns) because NAMA wanted their money.

I had heard that ALDI were looking at the Victory Centre site (think I read it on here), but having checked the SDCC pp's for the area I dont see an ALDI submission anywhere.

Advertisement