Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween racism Eden Gate

Options
  • 02-11-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

My son and his friends went around the houses on Halloween night in Eden Gate. He told me yesterday that there was a group of young teens in front of them one of whom was dressed in Klu Klux Klan regalia. Apparently they met a man with dark skin and he shouted "Death to the ******" at him. This man ignored the boys and walked on. He said that it was also his greeting call at the door of the houses that they went to.
    I asked my son if he had said anything to them as he knows this is so wrong but he was afraid to do anything as the boys were a few years older.My son and friends are 12 but am now realising that I should have been with them and I definitely would have asked them if they realised what they were doing.I wonder if his parents knew that he was dressed like this or did anyone else see them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

"Father forgive them they know not what they do."

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can report it here and maybe to the guards as well.

http://enarireland.org/ireport/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

My son and his friends went around the houses on Halloween night in Eden Gate. He told me yesterday that there was a group of young teens in front of them one of whom was dressed in Klu Klux Klan regalia. Apparently they met a man with dark skin and he shouted "Death to the ******" at him. This man ignored the boys and walked on. He said that it was also his greeting call at the door of the houses that they went to.
    I asked my son if he had said anything to them as he knows this is so wrong but he was afraid to do anything as the boys were a few years older.My son and friends are 12 but am now realising that I should have been with them and I definitely would have asked them if they realised what they were doing.I wonder if his parents knew that he was dressed like this or did anyone else see them?

That is so shocking, I am sure his Parents should have known what he was dressed as, unless he snuck in and out. Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Fair to play to the man for showing restraint and managing to ignore the little scumbags. Kids could have had the costume hidden somewhere so not necessarily the case parents knews. I was always taught racist behavior was wrong and by 15 they should know this.(as poster said a few years older so guess of age) But sadly racism is far too evident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Apparently they met a man with dark skin and he shouted "Death to the ******" at him. This man ignored the boys and walked on. He said that it was also his greeting call at the door of the houses that they went to.

Sounds shocking.

I would be stunned though if this kid said that at the doors to which he was calling. While he might get away with it at one or two doors, I would expect that many parents would call him out on that and/or report him to Parents/Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Same stupidity and poor parenting even in the States:
    http://www.break.com/video/kkk-kids-halloween-costume-2535920

The mother's defiance and defence shows her complete ignorance.

At least the boy wasn't using inappropriate language.

The Eden Gate case is far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

IanL wrote: »
    little scumbags. But sadly racism is far too evident in Ireland.

Yes, you are correct:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rothbard

If there is evident racism in Ireland, it doesn't appear to be in this thread at least. In any case, do you think the youth in question was guilty of actual racist opinions, or do you think that his costume and slogan were just a joke (say a mocking caricature of an actual racist)?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Rothbard wrote: »
    If there is evident racism in Ireland, it doesn't appear to be in this thread at least. In any case, do you think the youth in question was guilty of actual racist opinions, or do you think that his costume and slogan were just a joke (say a mocking caricature of an actual racist)?
    I think a lot of people say racist things in a general sense but interact well with people of all races in work and socially as if those Poles, Blacks, Asians are different to the ones they generalise about. In truth, there is very little racial tension in Irish society. I reckon we will see Nigerian children in GAA senior very soon. Irish people are warm by nature but dont take too readily to the PC model thrust at us via media like RTE, Irish times, etc. If we see we're being taken advantage of, we say it! often when you read an article online from an Official Ireland paper, the comments below show how out of kilter the stuff that's printed really is. Recently in workplaces all over Ireland, you could see the real concern of people towards the Filipino cleaner, waiter,nurse for example, in the wake of the typhoon.That is how people really are. I know and have seen real racism in other countries. During Mrs Thatchers reign, Irish people were not flavour of the month. The real sentiment of ''you are worthless'' I have seen against Australian Aborigines . What we have here is mild by comparison. It was interesting however that the word Roma was the highest trending word on Irish Twitter this year. But that's because people are maybe saying it as it is! we should perhaps have protected ourselves better from organised crime and begging, Regarding the incident mentioned here, I believe it is an extension of an urban myth which began in america. There has been no verification or sightings of kids dressed as KKK anywhere else on this or other threads.

Advertisement