Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable

Options
  • 02-11-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Went to Tommy Tiernan last Wednesday in Adelaide. 2 things stuck out immediately.
    1. There are so many young Irish people over here nowadays.
    2. They like their beer!!

My wife and I felt suitably older and could not believe the mix!!??

Came home to our kids who have the ol' Aussie accents at this stage and gave them lots of hugs!! Glad we are becoming proud Aussies!!!!

So is there something wrong with this?????

Hope not!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Went to Tommy Tiernan last Wednesday in Adelaide. 2 things stuck out immediately.

Came home to our kids who have the ol' Aussie accents at this stage and gave them lots of hugs!! Glad we are becoming proud Aussies!!!!

Hope not!!!!

As long as a huge number of Irish people don't mind the prospect of their kids settling there for lack of opportunity at home then that's just fine. Sure, you'll likely see them what, once a year until death. Ideal. Can't understand why other ''developed'' countries don't do the same. Raising a family and then facing the prospect of rarely seeing them again makes perfect sense if you don't actually think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Wrong with what exactly?

You moved to Australia, liked it and have settled, no problem.

You went to an irish comedian which drew a large expat audience, no problem.

You felt older because there were more people younger than you, no problem.

You were in a drinking environment that as a family person you've probably become to unaccustomed to, no problem.

You hugged your aussie reared kids, no problem.

So what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Glad we are becoming proud Aussies!!!!!

I'm proud your becoming Aussies too so we can remove you from the Irish race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hope not!!!!

1. Lot of young people probably on Holidays.
    2. Drinking beer while on Holiday is not abnormal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Not wrong with it at all. Enjoy the experience being an "aussie" gives you lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

seannash wrote: »

The Irish race?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Thanks for the posts. I suppose the overriding feeling was one of being out of touch. When we first came to Adelaide, there was no Appreciable Irish 'culture'.

Today, there is one that feels alien to us. Lots of people"passing through" and enjoying themselves to the utmost whilst doing it. Everything is temporary. Even though what we are living in is permanent?

Making sense??

alastair wrote: »
    The Irish race?

okay so technically its wrong.do you understand what I was trying to convey?

Thanks for the posts. I suppose the overriding feeling was one of being out of touch. When we first came to Adelaide, there was no Appreciable Irish 'culture'.

Today, there is one that feels alien to us. Lots of people"passing through" and enjoying themselves to the utmost whilst doing it. Everything is temporary. Even though what we are living in is permanent?

Making sense??
    so why did you feel it necessary to distance yourself from being Irish and call yourself proud to be Aussie.
    do young Aussies not drink? my experience is that young Aussies are much more aggressive than any Irish when drinking.
    Im sure you'll proudly draw on your Irish roots whenever it becomes socially beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

so why did you feel it necessary to distance yourself from being Irish and call yourself proud to be Aussie.
    do young Aussies not drink? my experience is that young Aussies are much more aggressive than any Irish when drinking.
    Im sure you'll proudly draw on your Irish roots whenever it becomes socially beneficial.
    Hmmmm, good point. Don't have any real challenge to your reply. OK, this is how I feel.

Always extremely proud to be Irish.
    At the same time, fairly happy that I made the right call years ago.
    Starting to feel a bit "Aussie".
    Maybe my perception of the young Irish over here is being governed by that.

Need to realign the lens through which I see the world, maybe. Thanks for your comments.l

• Advertisement

Making sense??
    I understand you now. For what's it's worth I felt out of place living in Ireland during the septic tiger even though I'd spent the previous three decades living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

okay so technically its wrong.do you understand what I was trying to convey?

Bitterness that someone is able to integrate into another country and feel an affinity for that new home, and a petulant desire to disown them as a consequence? Sure.

If not being considered Irish means being totally dissociated from you then I'll claim that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Dude, that's not becoming Aussie...that's becoming OLD! :)

Was at TT in Sydney and yea there were a few drunk Irish hecklers but head to a Tuesday night tranny bingo anywhere in the city and you'll find some Aussie twat giving lip.

I don't think what you felt was an affinity to any one culture, it was a relief that your not a young idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod : Hey play nice

I think Batgurl has hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fat Nav

My younger brother is living and working in Adelaide for the last two years and was at tommy tiernan the other night.
    He loves the Aussie lifestyle but he is definitely Irish at heart.
    He is quite happy to make his home in Oz and eventually get citizenship but he will always be Irish in his heart and would not want to lose his Irish identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Batgurl wrote: »

I don't think what you felt was an affinity to any one culture, it was a relief that your not a young idiot!

:D

Nailed.....

alastair wrote: »
    Bitterness that someone is able to integrate into another country and feel an affinity for that new home, and a petulant desire to disown them as a consequence? Sure.

hmm I guess my 8 years in new York and 2 in Australia didn't include any integration into the culture of those two countries.
    he basically was saying I'm so glad my family isn't growing up Irish.
    I'm all for moving abroad and starting a new life but the op sounded like he was embarrassed of his roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm all for moving abroad and starting a new life but the op sounded like he was embarrassed of his roots.

Maybe he is just embarrassed of people like you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I am not the proudest to be Irish when Australians talk about the antics of some of the Irish here in Australia. I am not suggesting the ozzies are angels but we are here in their country whether it be as temporary guests or fellow citizens and our behaviour should reflect this.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Maybe he is just embarrassed of people like you :rolleyes:

oooh good one. please tell me exactly what sort of person I am

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

I also went to see Tommy Tiernan last week (in Brisbane though) and while I also struck by the amount of Irish that now live here ( compared to when I moved here 8 yrs ago ) I had a different view of the night and fellow Irish .
    Sure there was lots of beer but I sat there being reminded that Irish people love the Craic and laughing at themselves .
    Aussie have a sense if humour but it's different and while I'm settled here now and appreciate the opportunities afforded to me and my family, I do feel a little sad that my little Aussie born son won't get the chance to grow up in Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The mistake here was going to see Tommy Tiernan :pac:

True craic is a pure joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The mistake here was going to see Tommy Tiernan :pac:

Yeah but you're not really Irish anymore are you, so your opinion is irrelevant.

P.S. Perth is a load of sh_ite.

Attack the post not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Was it any good of a show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Ironically enough, it took the piss out of all the drunken Irish yobbo's over here..."one leaving cert between three of them"!

I enjoyed it. It's a show he's not really going to get to use outside of Australia so was good to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I think people have misinterpreted the O.P. as disowning his Irishness. I read it as "I'm happy I'm not here temporarily and that I feel a sense of belonging". Isn't that what all immigrants are looking for? After reading a thread about homesickness in the 'Personal Issues' forum I'm happy for the O.P., settling anywhere can be difficult and the O.P. is lucky to be at peace with it. They'll learn so much about the culture from their kids as well.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I They'll learn so much about the culture from their kids as well.
    Australia has a culture?

Advertisement