Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain extension choice?

Options
  • 02-11-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a straw poll here. Looking to choose a domain name for a new venture and we have found a good one. Unsurprisingly the .com is not available, but all others are free thankfully! I am leaning towards one extension in particular, but would love to hear what your thoughts are, i.e. which extension grabs you / appeals to you more.

Obviously I can't mention the domain itself, but picture it as say cars.me, cars.net, cars.co, cars.fm, etc.

Cheers

Which domain extension appeals to you most? 3 votes

.me
    0% 0 votes
    .net
    0% 0 votes
    .co
    100% 3 votes
    .fm
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

What is your market?
    What are the dominant extensions in your market?
    Have your customers even heard of the extensions in the poll?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I would go with .net without more specifics on your audience. The problem with .co is that a lot of the general public who have no idea there is more than .com will think there is a typo and either won't bother looking at the site or will be trying it with .com at the end! If you are dealing with a younger or more tech savvy crowd then I would go with .co or .me as it seems cooler to have a less used one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

.me .co. and .fm I just wouldn't touch.

.net at a push particularly if the site was comms/tech/networking related.

I'd also check any potential TLD to see if Google still considers it to be a geographical domain name as this may effect your SEO strategy.

Also worth keeping in mind there will be many new TLDs coming online in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ideaburst

Great replies guys thanks, very helpful.

It is very much in the comms/tech/networking space indeed Graham! There are really only two candidates in my book really, .net or .me. .net is sounding perfect right now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Personally I would go .net, in my head .me is something personal.

If your project is related to personal comms/tech/net then maybe a .me would suit. Just check the Google geo status of the .me TLD, there's a list somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement